PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Slides.. which side?

Gar
12-16-2005, 08:07 PM
hey guys, posted this in the business forum but thought i might get a faster response here:

So i have the directives on what info that this publication wants on it's applicants slides, but my question is?.. Which side of the slide do I write that info on? -The front or the back? (The back of the slide, being where you are looking at the image reversed.)

I would appreciate anyone with knowledge on this. I've only sent out any slides once before and that was years ago.

Where's Mame when you need her? heh.

Thank you - gaR Bailey

El-Elegante
12-16-2005, 10:52 PM
I always label the front. only because most of the slides i've had made come with 1 black side and 1 white side. It's so confusing though.. after all, you do insert them upside down etc..

Diane Cutter
12-17-2005, 03:19 AM
Gar...

When you hold the image up to the light, you label the side in which the image looks right... not the reverse.

Also, be real sure to check out exactly what they want on the label and where because with these big juried competitions they will use anything possible to eliminate work. I was rejected once because I had used a label, making the slide a little thicker... was I mad (at myself)...

Diane

idylbrush
12-17-2005, 08:02 AM
they can also be fussy about the order of the information. Many will ask for an arrow or a dot of some color to indicate the correct positioning of an image just to be sure they get it right.

Gar
12-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Ok great guys!.. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about it with me.

rawk on - gaR

El-Elegante
12-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Gar.. the biggest bit of advice I have RE slides is make sure you do it right. I had a friend do mine for years, did a fairly good job, was a amature photographer. I finally hired a pro to do it one year, because my friend was busy, and I felt bad asking him to do it every year. The results were staggering.. and I credit them with getting me into half a dozen shows and galleries. I've got a guy here in seattle that shoots for me at $300 flat fee for the afternoon.. usually get in 30 paintings. He shoots in my studio, brings his own lighting computer, camera, equip tec.. he will sit there for 20 minutes on a single work to make sure the light meder is perfict on every inch of the painting. It's a good chunk of change, but in the bigger picture, i've found it worth it. but on the other hand.. this guy is an artist.. i'm not sure you'd get the same perfection from just any pro photographer.. if you decide to spend the money, make sure you find the right photographer. I've heard from several jurors and galleries that they immediately toss out any submissions with amature slides, or obvious mistakes on the resume etc.. I find it to be silly.. after all the art is what it is.. but it's the game they play.. easier to play it than fight it.

pushkin
12-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I think the info should be on the 'front'. My slides always come back with black on the front side so I swap them around. After initial looks people often just hold slides up to the light for a reminder so it's best to have the info on that side. Make sure there is an arrow indicating which way up they go and, most importantly, make sure they are the very best quality. This is so vital because the folks in galleries are being given a lot of stuff to look at and will automatically discard slides that are not of acceptable quality. It would be really annoying to miss out on a great opportunity for that reason.