PDA

View Full Version : Digital tablet

sketch-a-holic
12-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, I am definately leaning towards getting one of the intuos 3 tablets from wacom, but my biggest question now is what size? The price difference is significant between the sizes and I was looking at the 6x8 6x11 or 9x12 does anyone have any advice? Do you really need that extra room or would the smaller one do just as well? Its quite a chunk of change so I am worried about getting the right one. Thanks. =)

JCoop
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I use the 6"x8" Graphire. The size suits me fine, but I'm sure it is a matter of personal taste and the mechanics (whether you draw with your wrist, or tend to get your arm involved) that one uses to draw. When I first got my tablet, I was surprised that the small size worked out so well.

I'm thinking about moving up to the intuos, and if I do I'll stick with the smaller one.

Good luck with your decision.:)

nafa
12-15-2005, 09:35 PM
A 6x8 will work quite well for most people using a single monitor. Its easier on your wallet and not so demanding for desktop space. However, if you ever aspire to use 2 monitors, you should seriously consider the 9x12.

sketch-a-holic
12-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am a very visual person and 6x8 seemed really small to me. So, I got three pieces of paper and made them the three sizes, I was suprised how big the 6x8 seemed. I think I am going to go with that size, it is much cheaper than the 9x12 too. :) Now I just have to get that darn computer working.

Skinny
12-16-2005, 07:13 PM
SKETCH...For lots of folks, the larger size is a hinderance! When I got my new tablet, I moved up a size from the smallest. I DON'T LIKE IT. But I'm also not working with two monitors.

Remember that most of us are working with the keyboard in front of us and the tablet to the right. With a large tablet, you're beginning to use up a lot of your desk's real estate and your own arm reach.

philwms
12-16-2005, 07:16 PM
6" x 8" works very well for me, even with a two monitor system with both monitors mapped to t he tablet.

omniartz
12-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I use a 4x5 Graphire and it is adequate. But I would try a 6x8 next time I need to buy. But by that time the Cintique (sp?) will be all anyone will be using as it will become more affordable! LOL

Kirk

cunparis
12-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Well, I am definately leaning towards getting one of the intuos 3 tablets from wacom, but my biggest question now is what size? The price difference is significant between the sizes and I was looking at the 6x8 6x11 or 9x12 does anyone have any advice? Do you really need that extra room or would the smaller one do just as well? Its quite a chunk of change so I am worried about getting the right one. Thanks. =)

I just replied to another tablet post asking the same question. And like you, I'm currently thinking 6x8 would be the right size for me. At first I thought 9x12 would be more "life size" (i usually paint 8x10 or 9x12) but from all I've read it seems 6x8 is enough and it's like $100 cheaper too.

Still, at $160 these things seem very expensive to me. USB optical mouse = $10, tablet = $160. OUCH!

Smokin
12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
im not rich and i spent 400 on my tablet. Yup ouch, but sooooooo worth it :D

Jin
12-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Something else to consider is the amount of space the whole tablet takes up. The measurements we see for Wacom tablets (i.e. 6 x 8 inches, 9 x 12 inches, etc.) refer only to the working area of the tablet not the entire tablet size.

For instance, my Wacom Intuos 2 - 6 x 8 inch tablet is actually 10 inches high x 13 inches wide so the 9 x 12 inch tablet would take up a proportionally larger amount of space.

I found the 9 x 12 inch tablet to be too large for me to have both the tablet and my keyboard side by side on my desk so I could use both at the same time or separately without having to rearrange them on my desk.

I'm happy about my decision to return the Wacom Intuos 2 - 9 x 12 inch tablet in exchange for the smaller and less expensive Intuos 2 - 6 x 8 inch tablet. It's comfortable and there's plenty of space to draw and paint.

I don't remember if anyone's mentioned this, but Graphire tablets have 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and do not support Tilt (meaning brushstrokes are affected by the angle at which the stylus, or pen, is held in relation to the tablet surface). Intuos tablets have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and do support Tilt.

You'll love using a Wacom tablet, whichever size you decide on!

philwms
12-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Jin,

I've found this a very helpful solution for a keyboard and tablet sharing real estate on a desktop. I like to use foam rubber blocks which give the keyboard a nice feel when typing... also sliding the keyboard holder back and forth doesn't scratch the desktop.

http://mojoko.com/stuff/tuts/keyboard_tablet.jpg

Smokin
12-30-2005, 03:26 PM
nice setup phil.

Desktop space is not an issue for me either. I have a big chair i sit budda style in and lay my 9x12 tablet on my lap. My mouse sits on a side table next to me and with it's 10 buttons and the intuos buttons all programed in, i dont need to reach for the keyboard too often if at all.

Jin
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Phil,

Thanks for the neat sketch showing your setup. Though that's a good solution for a lot of people, it wouldn't work for me right now since I need to set up a new desk at a better height in order to do that. The one I have now is pushing the limit for height (too high) and really needs to be replaced soon.

Another reason is that I need to support my arm when using the tablet and that means my tablet needs to be to the right (I'm right handed) with my arm resting on the desk to my right.

Smokin,

Your solution is also a good one. I'd love to be able to sit back in a comfy chair and draw/paint, but I need to be close enough to the monitor to see things.

Also, I'm typing text for many hours each day so my keyboard should be nearby and at a level that prevents wrist fatigue, slightly lower than my elbows.

I learned years ago how important it is to have the work space set up ergonomically, after getting myself into a real bind at work, with neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and fingers all screaming at me after a long day. It was even hard to sleep. Once the company's ergonomics guy analyzed the situation and fixed things, I was pain free ever after. What a relief that was! What he did was to lower my desk surface just a little, give me a new chair with adjustable height, tilt, and adjustable arm rest height, then arranged everything so I had a desk surface on the right to rest my arm on... and a foot rest too.

Thanks guys! Your input will be helpful to a lot of folks and maybe even me if I can figure out a way to arrange things right (for me).

jhercilia
12-30-2005, 11:40 PM
I have a 9x12 and that size works perfectly for my painting style. It does take significant amount of space but to me, that's no problem because of the way my desk is set up, almost like a v shape and the monitor is about 2 feet away in front of me.

You might want to try making some cardboards of different sized (the same as drawing area of the wacoms) and try to more you pen withing that space to see if you feel confortable.

maria_khurram
12-31-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi, I have a 6"x8" wacom graphire tablet. I hold my it just like a palette, sometimes in lap and it works fine.

Smokin
12-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Maria! You upgraded from the mouse?!?! When did this happen?

maria_khurram
12-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Maria! You upgraded from the mouse?!?! When did this happen?

This month. My Mom gave this as a gift. Here is the link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314837) to that post.

Smokin
12-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Oops, missed that bit! OMG, I'm so anxious to see what you think of the tablet and what you can do with it. I've always thought if you can do so much AWSOME work with a mouse, imagine what you can do with a tablet, now we can see!!!:D

maria_khurram
12-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Oops, missed that bit! OMG, I'm so anxious to see what you think of the tablet and what you can do with it. I've always thought if you can do so much AWSOME work with a mouse, imagine what you can do with a tablet, now we can see!!!:D

Thanks.:D That is a kind compliment. Well I just started work with it and I am not perfect in it. I drew and painted these house crows (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315479) with tablet.

Skinny
12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Maria, you're going to love your tablet!

cunparis
01-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I decided the 9x12 was too much money so I got the 6x8. I was really suprised at how "big" it seems. I had fooled around with strips of paper, but when using the tablet while LOOKING AT THE MONITOR, the tablet seems as big as the monitor (17"). I was really suprised. I think the 5x7 probably would have been big enough. While I'm getting used to it I reduced the size of my work area so that my arm isn't so tired. I'll try gradually making it bigger. Right now it's smaller than 5x7. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm really anxious to try painter with the tablet this weekend.