PDA

View Full Version : Some Pen Work

digistyle
01-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Haven't visited this forum in a while (just not enough drawing/surfing/painting/living time in the day!). I have been doing quite a bit of sketching with the pens, so I'm feeling a bit more comfortable with them.

This is my most ambitious ink effort, both in subject and size. The reference came from a fashion magazine. I stylized the subject, trying for the blending of a tribal mask and a human face.

Sorry about the cropping, this was the best I could do with my scanner.

Micron pens on A3 paper (12" x 16.5")

digistyle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2002/januarypen.JPG

seejay
01-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Hi digistyle,

This is great. An interesting look. I'm not sure what I like about it, I'll need to study it a bit.

Also, I'm not surprised you haven't enough time in your days if you do these things on THIS scale!! You'll be using up those Microns quickly!;)

Chris

NorahT
01-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Nice pen work and great job on the braided hair :)

cry_1
01-31-2002, 04:54 PM
I like this alot, digistyle. Almost a scratchboard feel to it. Never really got with the micron pens, myself. I know cats who swear by 'em tho. Big ups.

els
02-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Fantastic work digi. I wonder how long it took...

artdude
02-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Really like how you have rendered this!! Your line direction and shading is great!! The face is kind of static which would go with your refference to a tribal mask.

:clap: BRAVO!! :clap:

digistyle
02-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Thanks, everyone!

After completing this one, I have to say that my hat's off to you folks who make ink your primary medium. I like the results, but it's an exacting medium. My wife wants it framed & hanged, so there's my true measure of success! :D

els: It took about 7 hours over a 4 day period.

Axl
02-25-2002, 08:19 PM
I like how the directions of your lines just add to the actual shape of the face. Thats one of the thing my dad use to tell me way back in the day and you've showed how well it really works. I also love the tiny details on the knots in her hair. She's just absolutely georgious :)