PDA

View Full Version : Natural Turpenoid

DaveTooner
01-30-2002, 05:24 PM
http://jerryscatalog.com/turnat.html

Have any of you guys tried this Turpenoid Natural stuff? If so, how does it's effectiveness in cleaning brushes compare to the Oderless Turpenoid?

Also, I'm assuming that Cirtrus Turpentine is just as toxic as regular turpentine, right?

Dave
www.crewstoons.cjb.net

G.L. Hoff
01-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi--

Turpenoid natural is mostly petroleum distillates, or in other words, paint thinner. No turpentine in it, so far as I know. Works okay but not much better in my experience than mineral spirits. I used to use it but switched to gum spirits of turpentine because I like it better and because turps seems to work better in the mediums I mix.

Besides turpentine, you could use oil of spike lavender, which makes the paint smooth and smells better than turps, although it's pretty pricey.

arourapope
01-30-2002, 07:18 PM
It's fine for cleaning brushes, but don't paint with it. You'll wind up with weird problems, like paintings that never really dry.
Aurora

DaveTooner
01-30-2002, 09:21 PM
Okay, sounds good. Cleaning the brushes is all I need it for. Thanks.

kayemme
02-02-2002, 06:00 PM
well... let me say my experiences with it have been fabulous.
i've been using it for the past 4 years and though it does take some time to dry, i've never run across a real problem with it...

others have.. i haven't.

i was required to use it in my one of my first painting classes because my prof had allergic reactions to turpentine... i've never used anything else, except the one occasion where i tried real turps and it made me sicker than a dog... i even used it outside and i thought i'd pass out, seriously!

i also use walnut oil after i've laid in the initial composition w/turp nat...

i do a lot of staining and soaking up colour w/the turp nat, so nothing else will really work. i also work in a very small, confined space (my apartment because i'm too lazy to drive to an outside studio), so i need my work to be as little toxic/flammable as possible. i do have an oil rag waste can, though... just in case.. :)

i pooled a bunch of turp nat on my canvas (not really canvas, i use another material) about 2 days ago and it's mostly evaporated, but not enough to turn vertical yet (or i'd get separation drips, not that i mind that sometimes, but i'm going for a different effect).

so there ya go... great for all around cleaning/thinning.. non toxic, non flammable, smells nice (enough).

yours,
k