PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Mary Jane Lyon?

DrBrad
12-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know of a Mary Jane Lyon? She is teaching a pastel class here in Tucson but I can't any web site for her, etc. (It's through adult education at some local community college and they don't have a lot of extra info beyond the course description.)

Thanks!

PeggyB
12-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Brad, I am unfamiliar with this person, and I know you said there isn't a lot of extra info in the course description, but maybe if you call the school they let you know where you can see some of her work or even have her call you. I know the CC I teach at lists my website for students to go to, but I gave them permission to tell people that if they wanted me to call them I would do that too. Some students need a little one on one before signing up for classes, and I don't mind talking to them.

If you can see her work, you may know if you are interested in learning her style of pastel painting. Then again, I am of a mind that I can always learn something from anyone. Sometimes I learned more from someone who's work I didn't necessarly care for because they are better teachers than they are painters.

Just food for thought.
Peggy

HarvestMoon
12-14-2005, 09:36 AM
There is a Mary Jane - something- that works for Daniel Smith.... was extremely knowledgable about paints and painting- it turns out that everyone that works for Daniel Smith is an artist and the pictures in their catalogs are done by them for the most part- kind of neat- not helping you with your problem though unless it is the same Mary Jane... with a name like that she has to be interesting!

Piper Ballou
12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Brad, I would interested in any information that you can find, it is too far for me to travel for a weekly class but perhaps a workshop. I live in Kingman
piper

DrBrad
12-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks all-- at least I know this info would be useful elsewhere.
Unfortunately the school won't give out contact info unless the teacher has specifically said it's okay-- which I understand-- but I guess she has not. This class meets 2 hours middle of the day on Weds.-- not the best time for me-- so I'd like to have some clue before I take it what it's going to be like.

And now for an announcement I know you've all been waiting for on the edge of your seats (right!) ;-) After spending the last weeks playing around with acrylics, CP, and oils as well as pastel I've decided to really focus my energy on soft pastel (with some OPs on the side). Despite its messy nature and mine, it really grabs me the most. I hope concentrating on one medium for a while will let me improve more quickly.

Thanks again!

talisman
12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Brad I wish you luck on deciding on taking the class or not with the limited info you have. As for wanting to work in soft pastels for a while I think that’s a great idea. You should always start with what feels right. You can always expand into other media when you want or need a change. Pastels have always felt the most natural for me. Another nice thing they always stay useful, I dug my set out after a 30-year hiatus and they work just fine.

KJSCL
12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Brad, a formal welcome to "The Dusty Side" :wave:

If you do take the workshop, I'm sure you'll come away with some helpful tips or techniques. As Peggy said, you can always learn something from anybody, even if it is the opposite of what they have said! :D

Paula Ford
12-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Brad, I'm so glad you decided on pastels. They are very addictive, fun, fulfilling...you can get instant gratification from them. You don't have to wait for them to dry, or have to use turpentine to clean your fingers, you don't have to mix with water...:D

PeggyB
12-16-2005, 03:32 AM
Brad, a formal welcome to "The Dusty Side" :wave:

If you do take the workshop, I'm sure you'll come away with some helpful tips or techniques. As Peggy said, you can always learn something from anybody, even if it is the opposite of what they have said! :D

Oh Kathy you made me laugh! You don't know just how true that has been for me. :rolleyes: I won't mention the names, but I've taken a couple workshops from very well known pastel artists, and for most of the class learned more what I didn't want to do than what I did want to do... but those were good lessons too.

Brad, welcome to dusty fingers - and hands - and clothes.... :D It is too bad the instructor won't agree to call you since she doesn't want students calling her (I can understand that too). I think your school is limiting possible students by not giving enough information regarding the instructors. Now that you are in for the long haul with pastel, there will be other chances for learning that may suit your time schedule better and hopefully you won't feel quite so uncertain about the instructor.

Peggy

DrBrad
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks again all!
It's possible the teacher may just not have thought to give permission therefore the school doesn't give her number. The course is under $100 so I'm going to go ahead and give it a go. I'm sure I'll get something out of it. First class you are to bring 15 soft pastels (that's all that is specified) and several sheets of Canson, 3 of them black.

On another note, I'm having a great time working through Jackie Simmons step by step project book. It's giving me the feeling of control I feel I lack with pastels. That's my big issue-- simply manipulating the material. I'm ordering her vids too.

PeggyB
12-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Go Brad - by using Jackie's suggestions and direction before you ever get to the class you will probably be the star pupil.

Please let us know what you think of the class - only 15 soft pastels? I'm courious about her technique.

Peggy

DrBrad
12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
I did sign up for the class. It begins the second week of January. Fingers crossed! Will report any interesting findings ;-)

Euayne Glinski
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Mary Jane is a member of SAWG. (southern arizona watercolor guild). She gives lessons at the gallery, at River & Craycroft, once in a while & at her home. :wave:

jackiesimmonds
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
So glad you found my book, since it is out of print!

Finding a good teacher is always a problem. You never know how it will be until you join the class. Even a brilliant painter can be a lousy tutor - I once went on a painting trip specifically to spend time with a painter whose work I admire enormously....I quickly discovered she could not teach, and even she admitted at the end of the week that she had learned that she disliked teaching!! I believe she has never tried it again, which is just as well, because she was unable to articulate anything worthwhile at all. Just because someone paints well does NOT mean that they have the ability to communicate well.

So go to your course, learn from the tutor if she has something to offer, and learn from your fellow students and learn from the sheer doing of it regularly. Keep your expectations to a minimum...."He who expects little is seldom disappointed" is a great saying!

You can learn a lot from books. I certainly did, and still do.

Jackie

*Deirdre*
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
The thread is also nearly out of print Jackie!:evil: :lol: I've moved it over to Talk now as it predated the forum splitting!

jackiesimmonds
09-22-2012, 04:08 AM
oh my goodness, I did not spot the earlier dates, I just followed on from a previous comment. How odd that it was picked up so many years on.

Jackie

kcwhitney
09-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I found this by googling her name:

http://www.stfrancisumc.org/content/spotlight-st-francis-saint-mary-jane-lyon

*Deirdre*
09-22-2012, 07:43 AM
No problem....at least it's in the right part of the forum database now...so you did us a favour really:evil: :lol:

I'll close it, so it doesn't start off again!:angel: