PDA

View Full Version : Ink 101

Britishbrian
01-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

I usually post on the watercolour forum and have met most of you there :)

Last night I had a go with pen and ink...a drawing followed by watercolour wash of an orchid, in my usual botanical style. Alas I didn't capture what i wanted - and wonder where I went wrong. I forgot to bring the picture to work to get it scanned...but was wondering if folks might be kind enough to post a 101 of things to consider when drawing botanicals in ink so that tonight I can have another go and hopefully succeed...the drawing is going to be given to a charity event if I can get it done on time!!

Things I would like to know are:

a) amount of detail one should go for when drawing on a 1:1 scale - the orchid is approx 5" dia. Do I indicate the veins in the petals?

b) how does one shade...should all shadows across the drawing be hatched in the same direction?

c) should the line thickness vary as things recede? shadows drawn with a finer pen?

Things of that nature...Thanks Very Much in advance :)

BTW using the disposable series of pens.

Cheers
Brian

kitaye
01-30-2002, 06:51 PM
a) amount of detail one should go for when drawing on a 1:1 scale - the orchid is approx 5" dia. Do I indicate the veins in the petals?

I am no expert in Pen and Ink but I have done a few Botonicals. I always tend to over crowd my pictures with to much detail. My rule of thumb is that if it is visible from 5 feet away then it should be drawn in otherwise suggest it through shading and contours.

b) how does one shade...should all shadows across the drawing be hatched in the same direction?

I use the hatch marks to indicate not only shadow but also contour. So my shadow can be in any direction as long as it follows the coontour of the object. It's not as easy as I am making it sound but the idea is there.

c) should the line thickness vary as things recede? shadows drawn with a finer pen?

Ok On this one I use the finer pens to indicate more delicate lines not lines in the distance. If my shadows need to be lighter then I use a finer point while distancing the hatches somewhat. I use larger points for heavier lines and darker shadows. Thinking about it, I guess that does tend to lend the image depth.

I hope this at least gives you a couple of pointers to get you through until some more responses come in.

Britishbrian
01-30-2002, 11:41 PM
Hi Kitaye,

Brilliant - exactly what I was looking for and all makes sense - I like the 5ft approach :)

Thanks very much

Cheers
Brian

kitaye
01-31-2002, 10:30 PM
NP I look forward to seeing your piece