PDA

View Full Version : eBay - Self representing artists category - your views please

Maggie J
01-30-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm quite new to eBay and so far have only listed in one category:
art; paintings: general.

We're supposed to be getting the self representing artists category on the UK site in Feb - for those of you who already use it - what are your views? do you think it's improved your sales?

I've wondered about listing in more than one category - so far I've had success in the one I've used. I don't know if my stuff's suited to Self Rep Artists as It's quite 'classic' - any ideas/views appreciated!
:confused:

sketchdude
01-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Hi Maggie,
I don't think the Self Rep category has anything to do with style, it just means that the artwork is available for sale directly from the artist. The style could be classical, contemporary or anything in between.
Someone in the UK mentioned to me that they were adding this category -I was surprized that it didn't already exist. I usually get 1/3 to 1/2 more page views when I use it along with the general painting or drawing category, so it's been worth the double listing fees to use both.

Sumafra
01-31-2002, 01:38 AM
Maggie, I've used the self representing category but I don't really know if it works better then others. I just don't like the idea of listing in 2 categories and paying double fees. But I'm also interesting in learning what others think about this.

Maggie J
02-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Thanks for your comments Sketchdude and Sumafra - I may give it a try when it starts in UK and just see what happens! I don't like the idea of double feels either though.

1/3 to 1/2 more page view would make it worth a try.
Maggie J

CarlyHardy
02-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Since I list more than one painting at a time, I use either category but not both on my listings. I don't like paying double fees when I don't feel it's been worth it in the past.

But having more than one auction in different categories means anyone who likes one of my paintings will click on the view all auctions and perhaps bid on another painting.

I listed in the self-rep category for several months exclusively but found that my hits were much lower than normal. I was still selling but not viewed by as many folks so I felt I was losing out on potential bidders.

I now list in the Paintings, 1950-now, American, category and find that my viewers has increased a lot. That could just be the time or year....but as long as it works....!!

carly

Paintbrush74
02-01-2002, 04:40 PM
I've started listing in the home/wall decor section (or whatever it is) in addition to self-representing artists. I still can't seem to get nearly as much traffic as I really need though. About 100 views is about the best I've done. I just can't figure how in the world to get more traffic.

sketchdude
02-01-2002, 09:01 PM
100 views is good for listing in one category.
But here's a simple "keyword spamming" trick you can apply to your item descriptions. Before you post the next listing, look over what you wrote, and ask yourself:
How many times did I refer to my painting without using a popular search term?
When people search, are they going to type in "this one" or "this", or are they going to type in "original oil" or "landscape"? My point is, always refer to your work as "This Original Landscape in Oil" instead of just "this".
The more those search terms appear on your page, the higher you'll come up in searches. So risk sounding a bit redundant in your descriptions. Sadly, too many bidders don't read the descriptions anyway.
Also, name your image files with keywords in mind. If you know HTML, always use keywords in your filenames and alt tags.
Hope that helps,

Paintbrush74
02-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info, sketchdude; actually, I list in 2 categories, under home and under art.

I do try to put search terms in the description and title, but hmmmm.... the html idea, I'll have to look into that. I know a little about html...not a whole lot, but I learn more every day.

CathyD
02-02-2002, 01:35 PM
I usually get around 100 hits per auction by listing in one category. Is that average? January has been a bit lower though on some of my auctions. This is good info you are all providing, thanks!

Paintbrush74
02-02-2002, 02:16 PM
On this last auction, I got 138 views, listing in the home and art categories. Still, the thing only sold for 15.75. :( I realize that I am unknown, and that has a lot to do with it. I'm thinking about upping my opening bid to about $15. I don't know though.

Well, there's another prob too. I sold a painting in a gallery for $106, 16x20, framed, and then sold another in the same gallery about 2 months later, a framed 8x10 for $80. I wonder if it's ethical to be selling on Ebay also, when they're currently going so cheaply on there. Of course these are smaller studies, some older, and some didn't take long to do.....so I just don't know. What do you guys think?

CathyD
02-02-2002, 08:40 PM
That's a good question and something I have wondered about too. If you subtract the costs and gallery commission like Carly did, what is the bottom line of profit you made in a gallery? Did you sign a contract with the gallery that stated you cannot undersell?

I know of some artists that sell their works in galleries but sell out of their home or studio for less. Wouldn't that be the same? Sorry no answers, but questions I have certainly wondered about.

:confused:
Cathy

CarlyHardy
02-03-2002, 05:41 PM
I would never undercut a gallery. Whether you have a contract or not, this is a good way to lose the gallery representation.

When I began selling on ebay, I still had a few paintings in a gallery. They were works on canvas and framed...selling prices from $400 to $700. I did not list these or any like them on ebay. My work there was watercolors on paper, unmatted, unframed. I had no problem with listing them at a much lower price!

Of course the gallery got 50% commission on those works...so I got a lot less, especially since the framing costs was mine also. Now I sell my canvases on ebay...unframed most of the time and don't feel bad at all that I'm happy with $150 to $300. I'm still making the same thing.

and...I no longer have the time to put things in a gallery. I'm too busy painting.
carly

hairballsdotcom
02-03-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
...I no longer have the time to put things in a gallery. I'm too busy painting.:clap: What more could an artist ask for than more time to paint/create! Hip Hip Hurray for eBay!!!!

CathyD
02-03-2002, 11:58 PM
Exactly, that is the beauty of it all! I love the personal contact with the buyers too.

Maggie J
02-07-2002, 04:41 AM
I like eBay so far (as a newbie) - the only thing is - I really don't like 'putting all my eggs in one basket' so to speak! I wish there were other really successful auction sites to give 'em a bit of competition.

What I like best is(and this is laziness i know) - I don't have to mount and frame. I hate all that. I hate doing it myself and I hate paying to have it done! I know - there's no pleasing some people. At least eBay makes it easy!:cat: