PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 31 - Compositional Chaos

Pages : [1] 2

Troy Rochford
12-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Basic 101: Class 31
Compositional Chaos

Well, I hope you guys have really enjoyed our first foray into the pen and ink world. I've said from day one that my vision for this program involves taking you beyond the basics, and introducing you to different media as well. In short, my goal and responsibility is to make you better artists, and to help you discover new ways to convey your artistic vision to your viewer on paper. I hope that I am not failing you thus far in that regard.

In the spirit of the above, we of course have two very important classes in our near future: colored pencil and realistic portraiture. One will not necessarily immediately follow the other, but both will be covered very soon. Given the subject matter of these classes, they will each be very lengthy and hopefully very fulfilling for you all. Now, it also occurs to me that we have had several very intensive, lengthy classes of late, between ink and glass/water/metal madness! Most of you seem to have enjoyed these, and ALL of you have improved as a result, whether you can see it in your results or not. I'm very proud of all of you for your efforts in this program, and how quickly you've been able to adapt to all the different things I have thrown your way. That in and of itself is a testament to how good you are as artists.

But isn't it time for a relaxing, fun class that isn't so grueling? Of course it is! But you should know by now that nothing is as it seems with my classes. There is a method to my madness, and while this class may seem relaxing and fun, perhaps even silly, you can actually learn a great deal and grow as artists if you approach it with the right attitude and enthusiasm. It can either be an incredibly stupid class that does nothing for you, or it can be a tremendous experience that teaches you something about yourselves as artists, and allows you to exercise those parts of your artistic brain that generally don't spend time thinking about things like composition and design, tonal balance, and so forth.

Now I sense even as I write this that some of you (Stacy, maybe?;)) are beginning to fear what may be coming. So I will let you off the hook and just go ahead with the assignment. It's not as bad as you think!!!

The assignment is simple. First of all, I guess now would be a good time to tell you that I have decided this will NOT be an ink-only class. With only a few limitations, this class will be a free-for-all of sorts, allowing you to experiment or to go with whatever works best for you. I want you to duplicate the following drawing, and then create your own composition to complete the picture. You can choose to emphasise or de-emphasise this building in your composition. It can be a tight shot of the building with some surrounding shrubbery, or it can be this building along the horizon, seen across the expanse of a corn field or perhaps a lake or stream. It can be a toy building sitting on a monopoly board, with a seemingly giant hand reaching down to pick it up and move it. You get the idea? This is to be YOUR creation, and I want you to really put some thought into it and come up with something that shows off not only your ability to render objects, but also your creativity and your ability to conceptualize and compose a complete picture. This is an opportunity for you to really blow people's minds by letting them peek into yours. Above all else, have fun!

Here is the building to be used (***cool moment of the day! I intended to re-draw this picture today without all the background scenery, in order to avoid confusion for you guys. I was feeling lazy and put it off all day long, and then I remembered that now I can use my trusty photoshop to crudely erase all the bg stuff! Thank you, Adobe!!). The only requirement for this assignment is that your final picture includes this building as a compositional element. Its role or importance within the composition is up to you. Technique, style, and medium (excluding digital nonsense and paint, of course) is up to you as well. In fact, those of you who feel so bold may even do this one in colored pencil if you dare. Just remember - Cindy's watching!!!;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/38425-cl31b.JPG

AlisonBC
12-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Like the BIG hand idea :D

Anita Murphy
12-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Very interesting Troy! Hmmmmm, need to think a little about this.

CatEyes
12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Cool ... this will be fun!

Cathie Jones
12-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Yeppers! I'm in . . .

Fireman's kid
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Now I sense even as I write this that some of you (Stacy, maybe?) are beginning to fear what may be coming.

Troy, either I am entirely too predictable or you took up mind reading in your spare time! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2005/22284-11613-rofll.gif

I'm in, but probably won't get to it until the week between Christmas and New Year's.

IslanderNL
12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Ok, this means that I have to think and that's what they tell me I am paid to do at work :)

I will toy with a few scenarios on this one. I have a couple in my mind. One my husband called 'bizarre' this morning. Then again, it was 6:30am...

This should be fun. And any medium you say? Not just ink? Sounds good to me!

PS Can this be stickied,? as either I'm very dumb or it was way down the list, as I had to resort to searching for it. :)

Troy Rochford
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
CJ you might do a scene depicting monkeys in their Sunday best, going to church. Kind of an interesting commentary on the creationism/evolution debate.:)

Judi1957
12-12-2005, 12:35 PM
CJ-Don't forget the monkeys preferred mode of travel is the Big Blue Boat!

Sounds great Troy! Hmmm gotta put on the thinking cap.

Cathie Jones
12-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Good idea, Judi . . . but in Tahiti the monkeys use red boats to go to church!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/23460-Tahiti_church.jpg

Mary Woodul
12-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Nice class, Troy!

Troy Rochford
12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Jeanette I'm hoping maybe someday it will become a sticky, but I don't have the ability to do that myself. Glad you guys like the class, btw. Hopefully some of our absentees will return since they don't have to worry about dealing with ink if they don't want to. (hi Billie and Anita!)

Anita Murphy
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Troy - I did try! Failed but tried! :( :)

beachwalker
12-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Wow, Troy, this is really going to be interesting! I can't wait to see what people are going to come up with here!

Cathie Jones
12-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Be careful what you ask for, Cindy . . . we can be a pretty strange group!!:D

Troy Rochford
12-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey Anita I didn't say you didn't try. You didn't enjoy it though, so hopefully you will like this class better. I wasn't giving you a hard time, not even jokingly. I seriously hope you and Billie will be able to participate in this one.

IslanderNL
12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
I think I have my composition, at least in my head. Now making it work on paper may be a different thing altogether. :)

Smitty7
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll try it for sure, but I'm glad it's not due right away since I have been slacking in the art world these days. Be warned - monkies may be involved.

Anita Murphy
12-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Troy - not even that I didn't enjoy it - you caught me in a blank moment when everything was evading me.

dippin'colors
12-13-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm still working on the back classes but I'd like to try this one if it's OK? Brenda

Troy Rochford
12-13-2005, 02:05 AM
That's fine by me, Brenda:)

dippin'colors
12-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks Troy!!I'm looking forward to the challange of this one!Brenda

Anita Murphy
12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Just saying hi to shuffle this back up to the top of the page :D

Fireman's kid
12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I've been thinking about this and coming up with some strange ideas, but no good ones yet. Glad I have some time. Must say though that none of my ideas involved monkeys. ;)

CatEyes
12-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm haveing some many ideas with this...not sure which I'll go with... but I hope it'll come out as well as I can see it in my mind....:Plol

Troy Rochford
12-13-2005, 09:55 PM
What - no completed submissions yet? What's the matter with you people?;)

Cathie Jones
12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
What - no completed submissions yet? What's the matter with you people?;)

You're making us think this time . . . :eek:

dippin'colors
12-13-2005, 10:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2005/67372-class101-31.jpg
Okay Troy just so you don't think we are not paying attention :p here is a very rough draft of my idea. Not fleshed out all the way yet mind you. I still need to work at it some more. Brenda

Troy Rochford
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
That's cool Brenda! Btw, I was joking about no drawings being posted though! Take your time:)

yabby
12-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone, Just a quick post for kidding. No monkey here... I will see if I can think about another one with more drawing:D .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/67604-p1010014__rsz.jpg

yabby
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
And yes the building is there.... guess?

(I was trying to edit the previous post and I got a new one ?????:eek: :(

AlisonBC
12-14-2005, 05:44 PM
yabby, that's too much thinking for me at this time of night :D lol

I've made a start on mine, not sure how I am going to render it, so I've put a copy through the pc just in case I muck up. I thought the Church would look good in a snowglobe...no idea how it's going to turn out, but the start is ok. Will post tomorrow, when I've had some sleep. Night all :wave:

:)

Mary Woodul
12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Troy, this is very messy looking right now because I used the enhancer so the lines would show up. They are only pencil lines and very light, not like they are showing up. I wanted to get my composition and idea in perspective first, without really working on it until I am sure that is what I want. There will be a corn field to the right and I want to keep it as simple as I can because I want the sky in CP to be as important as the rest. I was thinking of grey ink for the church, sepia and yellow for the corn field and road. if you see anything wrong in the drawing, in the proportion and perspective of the road let me know.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-1.jpg

I don't know why this looks so dirty, it is not that way. It must be the scanner.

Mary Woodul
12-14-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't like the way that image looks so I scanned again although it is not very clear.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-2.jpg

AlisonBC
12-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Great detail Mary! And the perspective looks fine to me.

Looking forward to seeing more, Brenda :)

Mine is going ok still, and I like how it's looking so far (lots of time to mess up though lol) I've had to change the perspective of the building (I hope that is ok Troy??) which took a while as it didn't sit right in the globe from the original angle. It's now more of a looking down on, rather than looking up to. (thank goodness for class2!) I've added two perspective WIPs and the working sketch I did after I'd sorted the perspective out, and before I transfered it to Bristol. The big one is where I am with it now. I realise that I am going to have to go fairly dark, even though it is a snow scene, just to get the detail in, though the photo is much darker than it really is :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_d.jpg

Oh, and I am using 2b mechanical pencil :)

Troy Rochford
12-15-2005, 07:48 AM
ALison that looks great! You have some minor perspective issues that need to be corrected, but they are very minor. And you get bonus points for being the first person to take it upon themselves to change the perspective. I don't have a problem with that if it is necessary, so long as you do it right. And you have! Good job:)

Troy Rochford
12-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Mary yours is looking great as well. Perspective looks fine except for maybe the angle of the stairs. I think I might have screwed up on the stairs myself though, I can't remember. I'm interested in seeing your idea develop. Both of you are on track to making this a wonderful picture.:)

AlisonBC
12-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks Troy. I'll do a perspective check, I know the left hand roof is odd looking. I'd probably do better with walking away from this for a while :rolleyes: . I've managed to totally muck up the windows! Both in perspective and just plain bad drawing! :evil: I'll rub 'em out and fix 'em. I'm not happy with the darks on the building so far (the walls are too light for starters, and I won't mention the dratted windows again), I might make the base smaller as I don't want to put detail on it, but as it is it seems a bit big. Oh and the trees need work, as does the glass, oh and the snow...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_forwc.jpg

Mary Woodul
12-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Thank you Troy, no your stairs are fine, I'm having trouble with those. It is that perspective thingy and I'll work on them again today.

Alison, you have a gret idea and it is looking good.

Brenda, yours is looking very interesting.

IslanderNL
12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Mary, your drawing will be lovely with the fields stretching out like that.

Alison, this is a wonderful start. I love the globe idea.

I'm toying with an idea....its hands holding the church, but I want to turn the church into a ceramic one. May I do that Troy? Or does it have to be just as it is? :)

CatEyes
12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Alison : It looks great! ! I had a similar idea...hmmm now I'll have to think some more...tee hee...

Mary I think it's a great start!

Cathie Jones
12-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Alison, your snow globe church is absolutely awesome! What an imagination . . .

Judi1957
12-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Mary-That will be beautiful! I saw the almost the exact same scenery on Monday - church and all!

Alison-That is gorgeous already!!!!!

Celebrating! I am on vacation till Jan 3rd!!!!! :clap: :clap:

The http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/37258-23460-smiley_hurdler.gif are over for the year.
No more setting the alarmhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/37258-23460-smiley_snore.gif

Been waiting to do the vacation dance!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/37258-shuffling_smiley.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/37258-shuffling_smiley.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/37258-shuffling_smiley.gif

Cathie Jones
12-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Yipppeeee . . . Judi's on vacation!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/23460-smiley_dance_line.gif

And I'm just about to give up on this project!! I know what I want to do, and I just can't get the perspective. I've studied perspective three (3) times and have a book on the subject and it just doesn't sink in. I feel so dumb!!! :envy:

AlisonBC
12-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone :) Without trying to bore you all to tears I am posting the globe again with the tiniest update I've managed to do (inbetween the school run, cooking, carol service, putting kids to bed etc etc :rolleyes: ) And now that I've darkened the church a little more I can see I have a problem with the tower being too far over to the right. The windows are a little better though (I think) but the trees are still pretty ropey looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_darkerchurch.jpg

CatEyes
12-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Okay not sure if I did this right... This is the start of what I decided to do. I took a picture of my daughter from last Christmas and merged it with the chruch.
It's pen and ink outlined and some stippling for her lips, eyes, on her hands and the darker areas so far...Is this correct? Or am I going about this all wrong?
I may re-do it, just hashing it out.

Alison it looks so inviting I just want to shake it to see the snow fall!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/62985-Class31.jpeg

AlisonBC
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
CatEyes, that looks great so far! You've captured a childs fascination with all things small, perfectly :)

Mary Woodul
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Jeanette, thank you, I'm dying to see what your going to come up with.

Alison, those flakes look like there are in real liquid.

Thank you Judi, I wish I could have seen that scene, I can only imagine it!:) Judi here is to you!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: and I love that dance so we are all dancing with you.:D

CJ, don't feel bad, I've been looking for the darn vanishing point on those stairs all day-:o

Tia, what an incredible composition.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
12-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi Mary!:wave: -Wish I would have taken a snapshot of it-but it is 35 miles south of here and we are having a lot of ice right now.:(
Tia-That is such a wonderful imaginative drawing!!!!
Alison-not bored-watching this evolve is great!

beachwalker
12-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Alison and Tia, you both have wonderful imaginations! I love what you've done with this project! :clap: :clap:

dippin'colors
12-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Alison Such a fantastic idea and it looks like it's really snowing in there!!! Awesome detail on the globe..really wonderful:clap: :clap:
Tia I agree you have such a wonderful imagination..It's a perfect idea!:D :D
Mary I can't wait to see how you progress with yours, it'll be great.:wave: :cat:
Here's my sketchbook so far. I made a few rough layouts and decided on this one. I've made notes on what I want to change, do, undo, ect. Still in composition/transition process.Still welcome all C & C 's. Brenda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/67372-church-composition.jpg

dippin'colors
12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry.. my browser is getting a mind of it's own lately..either it won't let me post or doubles. Tried to delete one but..well you see. Appologies. Brenda

CatEyes
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you Mary, Judi, Brenda, Cindy and Alison.Not sure if I am on the right path, but this is what I've done so far. I have a close up to show as well. I did make a couple of oopses, but I may be able to fix them without starting over. (such as her eyes..is the pupel) (sp) looking funny?

EDIT: I can't wait to see these ideas come to life... great sketches and ideas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/62985-class31p2.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/62985-closeup.jpeg

Troy Rochford
12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah Alison you need to straighten the vertical and horizontals on the tower too. It looks like it is leaning slightly backwards and to the right.

Jeanette that change is fine by me, the main issue is that you keep the architectural lines of the original and that you get the perspective right, whether you use the original perspective or not.

Judi you have too much time on your hands. Where's my new computer?:)

Troy Rochford
12-15-2005, 08:39 PM
oops I guess I should try reading the last page of the thread....

Tia that is a great concept!! Brenda I'm still very interested to see yours develop for real. I get the idea of what you're doing, I'm just waiting to see you start on the final version before I can really judge..

CJ when in doubt, post what you have. You know Judi is the official perspective monkey here, and I think a few others around here might have a suggestion or two to help you with your perspective issue.;)

Judi1957
12-15-2005, 08:49 PM
LOL- too much time-puttin up the tree, outside lights, decorating, cooking, baking, cleaning, shopping. At least I won't be struggling so to keep up for the next two weeks.
Oh your computer? Dell will be delivering it to your door tomorrow.:rolleyes::p

I am working on a preliminary sketch, nothing to post yet though.

CJ-if you want help-I am certainly willing.

Troy-I forgot to say-your church is really well drawn!:angel: :clap:

Anita Murphy
12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Alison - what a super idea! I love snow globes!

Mary - you are off and running too!

Tia - wow - nice one!

Judi - hope you are going to have a great vacation!

I need to get my thinking cap on - so many great original ideas!

Cathie Jones
12-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Judi, I can't even seem to get it started right. I'll work on it tomorrow and see if I can get something to post. For one thing I need the VP to be different than Troy's so it doesn't get quite so short in back. I'll print a copy of Troy's drawing and see if I can work out his perspective.

Sweet dreams, y'all. I'm off to crochetland to finish some slippers for Christmas.

You sent Troy a new computer too? Guess one of us better cancel our order . . . :eek:

Troy Rochford
12-15-2005, 10:25 PM
CJ - good luck with that! I eyeball my perspective work so if you start running lines out to vanishing points on my work, you might have nightmares!!!

Mary Woodul
12-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I had to do this all over again because I was going to use a ruler for the base line and the ink seeped under it. I still think the stairs look wrong and I don't know if the perspective of the windows is right or if it is because I dont have the inside of the window straight, yet. I just wanted to check with you Troy, before going further again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-3.jpg

dippin'colors
12-16-2005, 01:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/67372-churchpastel1.jpg
Made a few changes...went back to an earlier layout. Pastel pencil on Bristol vellum 9 x 12. Brenda (Scanner cut 1/2 " off right side so it is a bit short, will correct next time. B)

AlisonBC
12-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Mary, Judi, Cindy, Brenda and Anita thank you :) Troy, thanks! I can see the tower was slowly heading into the congregation!

With alterations to the tower underway (a fund is being set up as we speak :D ...or is that just an English thing? lol) and a gardener employed to manage the dratted trees; I am free to explain the little known technique I've applied to the base called woollywigglyism...it's a little like circulism, but for lazy people :D

Brenda and CatEyes, looking good so far. Mary, those three windows actually gave me a nightmare! I'd say of yours, the middle one is not quite there. The steps look fine, though I think the slightly darker step is making them look off, not say it IS off, just the dark making it look that way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_friday.jpg

CatEyes
12-16-2005, 11:20 AM
:wave:Hi everyone,
Thank you all for youe kind words. :o

Mary, I took a pencil on the computer screen to get the angle of the door/stairs and compared it to the ones in the original they all seem fine. The windows were a pain. I agree that the middle window is not quite right... maybe a bit to short??? :confused: Not sure. I can't wait to see it further along. :D

Brenda, I like how yours is coming along. I am very interested in seeing what will go between the church and water. :)

Alison, your globe looks great!!!

Jeanette, Yeah I was going to do either two children looking at the chruch inside a globe or a huge eye looking through the window of the church...or Santa holding a globe or Jesus holding the church or looking down on the children......etc...all kinds of ideas. lol

CJ, I hope things go better today. Just take a deep breath and relax... don't over think it. ;) You always do such stunning work... I know you'll get a great concept going.

Tia

Mary Woodul
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Alison, I can't get over your globe, it is so real. I love it! Thank you for the help on the perspective.

Tia, you are a jewel, thank you for doing that for me, I will continue with it then. I think I just finally fixed the window and they ARE very tricky!. Tia, I think this one of your's is going to be one of your best pieces.

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Mary yours is looking just fine, I don't know why you're worried.

LOL I think it's hilarious that you guys are having so much trouble with the windows. I deliberately went with a building with somewhat tricky perspective, but I would have thought the windows would be an area of little concern.:)

IslanderNL
12-16-2005, 12:01 PM
The globe is great Alison. Wonderful work!

I've abandoned my initial thoughts again. I can't find the right scenario for this building. Sigh. I'm becoming disgruntled.

Mary Woodul
12-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks Troy, I really get confused with perspective, I never know what direction the lines should slant but I'm glad that part's over.:)

Jeanette, I'm sure you will come up with something fantastic, like you did with the boat in the stippling class.

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Jeanette you could always make this a beachside church with a bunch of rocks in the foreground!!:)

IslanderNL
12-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Troy, right now I'm going to make it a pile of wood on the beach...:evil:

Thanks Mary for your confidence in me. I don't think I have any imagination right now.:(

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Here's where I am this morning with the basic outline. I can see that the bell tower is a bit whompy-jawed and will straighten that. The windows are temporary - just to get a feel for the side of the building. I don't think the stairs will be in the picture at all, and a few features are yet to be done . . . it'll be a mailbox.

C&C please before I do anything else to it. I'm not sure of the perspective, but will be happy if it just looks right to the eye.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-church_1.121605.sm.jpg

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 02:45 PM
CJ leaving the stairs out is okay, but ONLY because you seem to have drawn them correctly above. (The stairs are part of the exercise). I would be a stickler about it, but I guess in the spirit of Christmas and all... ;)

Your perspective looks fine visually. Only thing that looks weird to me is the little front part of the church looks off center, like it's pushed over toward the back line of the church. That might have been intentional though, and that's fine too. A mailbox huh? I'm interested in seeing more of this... Oh!! is it Grape Ape's house????!!!

Judi1957
12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Mary and CJ,
Here is looking at Mary's Perspective a lil closer.
Have indicated the horizon line and the vp's-though the left vp is on a post-it I forgot to bring over to the scanner.
Mary-good eye on the steps - if you look at this it should help. The road should go to the horizon line. It ended up at the VP2-but that just happened.:D The vp has nothing to do with it.

CJ-you are correct. Exact perspective does not always look correct and we want it to look right. Artistic license is called for usually. Do determine the horizone line and VPs-I think you will see that the front vestibule section and tower of your building needs some correcting. The top and bottom lines of the windows need to go to VP2. Revisit the lines going to VP1 and VP2 once you determine where the VP's are.I am sorry but I have to get to the post office right now or the grandkiddies will not have presents under their tree from Gram and Pap.:eek:
I think what I showed for Mary's should help. If not I hope to be back in an hour or so

CatEyes
12-16-2005, 03:07 PM
CJ: Looks good and I agree with the Teach..
Your doing good don't give up!!! :)

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the stair reprieve, Troy! :D I'll make up for it with a couple of other details.

Judi, thinks for the window VP help. I had the bottoms right, but not the tops.

Looking at the vestibule again, the roof line is wrong on the near side.

Yep, mailbox. My first idea was to replace the pet carrier with the church in this photo from the RIL - but talk about perspective headaches!! Ouch!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-cow.sm.jpg

AlisonBC
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh wow CJ! :eek: That would be so funny to see :D

CatEyes
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi,
Here's an update. I worked on her eyes more after scanning, so i have more done than what shows.

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I think I have it . . . the church part anyway. I'm not so sure about the post. Here's the rough sketch. I probably won't transfer it to good paper until Sunday - haven't decided what medium to use (no paint, Troy?) and we'll be in L.A. again tomorrow.

C&C . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-church_3.121605.sm.jpg

Judi1957
12-16-2005, 06:46 PM
CJ-That is a great idea-but where is that cow???:D
Can I suggest to revisit the line that represents the base of the front vestibule that should go to VP2.:) The bottom part of the posts angle member that supports the church base needs to angle towards VP1 like the church front.
I was wondering when you were going to mention about the paint!:cat:I think it would be fantastic in watercolor! I see you have flowers at the pole base. This is going to be beautiful!
Have a good time in LA tomorrow. Stop in LAX for me and give Luke a hug! He is catching the plane for HOME tomorrow afternoon from there.:D

Keep a goin' Tia! This is looking really very nice!!!!!!!!!!

CatEyes
12-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks Judi.

I like it CJ.. it's going to be darling when finished...water color would be a nice choice with ink. :)

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Ahem... please re-read the following, from the beginning of class

Technique, style, and medium (excluding digital nonsense and paint, of course) is up to you as well. In fact, those of you who feel so bold may even do this one in colored pencil if you dare. Just remember - Cindy's watching!!!;)

Thank you for your cooperation!:D

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 07:33 PM
And just what do you have against paint???

How about pen with watercolor wash?

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
CJ I'm not trying to be a jerk about that issue, but I don't think it's appropriate for a Drawing/Sketching class in the Drawing/Sketching forum to open up the floodgates and start allowing painting. I actually find your idea interesting, but not for the class. Sorry.:(

Oh, and for the record, I have nothing at all against paint. I want to learn to paint! So I am not an anti-paint-ite! I just don't think it belongs in this program.

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Uh Huh. As far as I can tell, it's no different than drawing and then coloring with CP. But, you're the boss so I'll do something else.

Judi, I'll have to read your post Sunday - it's not making sense to me right now, so I guess I'm too tired to think. This retirement thing is exhausting!:D

Judi1957
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
This retirement thing is exhausting!:D
Poor poor Baby!:rolleyes::D

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
CJ if you do not understand the difference between mixing paints and applying them with a brush, and applying layers of translucent color with pencils, then I can't help you with that. I know that you know better than that, though. You're just being ornery. Maybe you'll feel better after your nap!;)

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Drawing is drawing. Applying color is applying color. Whether it's wet or dry, it not drawing, it's applying color. Watercolor is either transparent or opaque. CP is either transparent or opaque. One comes in a tube, one in a stick.

Since you require that the color come from a stick, maybe I'll use Graphitints.:evil:

Ornery? Yep. Been practicing for many years now.:D Just ask my DH.

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Well CJ you bring up a debate that has been waged since time immemorial. I'm afraid that I come down on the side of "if it is applied with a brush, it is not drawing.":) Just as I come down on the side of "if all you can do is sit in front of a computer clicking a mouse and relying on computer programs to create your "digital art" for you, you are not an artist.":)

Mary Woodul
12-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Judi, thank you so much for those diagrams on the view point. That was the way I finally came up with better stairs but I wasn't sure that there was a vanishing point there or not. I do need to go back to that 101 class and get some tutoring from you.:)

Tia, you updates look better and better.

CJ, your idea is cool, I love it. What ever you do with it, it will be good. have a good trip!:wave:

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Poor poor Baby!:rolleyes::D

You'll see . . . 2-week vacations are exhausting, too!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-sheep.gif

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 10:14 PM
If anyone has a photo of a chewed up ball, preferably a small dog toy ball, please pm me. Thank you!:)

PS - this is not a joke!

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Yuck! From Yahoo images . . . everything in the RIL has a dog attached to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-Ball_for_Troy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2005/23460-Ball_for_Troy_2.jpg

Judi1957
12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Great detective work CJ!!!!:clap: :clap:
Ewwwwwe! Saliva 'n stuff!:eek:

Troy Rochford
12-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Now what kind of demented crackmonster would take photos like that?

Thanks CJ!

Cathie Jones
12-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Ewwwwwe is right! Definitely dog slobber all over them! I don't think I want to know who took those pics!

dippin'colors
12-17-2005, 05:10 AM
:( :( Okay I didn't consider WC pencils PAINTING but if I use a brush to apply water then pencil is chemically transformed to paint so TECHNICALLY it is. :( So I goofed. I didn't like the pastel so I went to watercolor pencil.I know there are some corrections to be made but WC is forgiving enough I can do it without destroying what I have done. Guess it is back to either the pastel or CP huh?:crying: Brenda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2005/67372-churchWC-1.jpg

AlisonBC
12-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Brenda, goofed or not, the colours are glorious! :)

CJ Great start!

Tia, Great work with the dots :)

No update from me as I've been visiting the In-laws; but I have got rid of the heavy shadow on the left of the globe and I'm about to start some crinkly gift wrap and ribbon beneath/around the globe. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew! (not looking at half eaten, saliva covered tennis balls lol)

dex
12-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi Troy,think I'll give it a whirl!,might even look like something!(If i'm lucky!:) ),but have to get fired-up first!.Good luck class!(i'm just waiting for home time(was that the bell !!:) ),see ya!.
dex
ps
Oh!,I see u started without me,:( ,
( looks like staying in after class! :) )

dex
12-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi Troy:wave:,
gave it a whirl,came up with this quickie,(1hour),i call it,"nowhere in the world",medium used,2B graphite pencil,done on A4 sheet,semi shiny card(like something used for business card's),the church is there!(somewhere!):evil:.
dex
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2005/69694-image0.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

dex
12-17-2005, 05:31 PM
sorry folk's,:(............have asked for removal of duplicated post's.(must have been that haunted church!:)
dex

dex
12-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Troy, this is very messy looking right now because I used the enhancer so the lines would show up. They are only pencil lines and very light, not like they are showing up. I wanted to get my composition and idea in perspective first, without really working on it until I am sure that is what I want. There will be a corn field to the right and I want to keep it as simple as I can because I want the sky in CP to be as important as the rest. I was thinking of grey ink for the church, sepia and yellow for the corn field and road. if you see anything wrong in the drawing, in the proportion and perspective of the road let me know.

I don't know why this looks so dirty, it is not that way. It must be the scanner.

nice drawing Mary,
I think it might be dirty glass on scanner,
making it look messy.
dex

Troy Rochford
12-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Dex that looks cool but it looks like a preliminary - are you going to do a more developed version of this? I hope you do.:)

dex
12-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Dex that looks cool but it looks like a preliminary - are you going to do a more developed version of this? I hope you do.:)

I didn't intend to Troy,was going to leave it at that,:),you think I should?.

BTW,I made a boo boo!,I asked to have 3 duplicate's removed,(I thought there was 4 post's),but there's only 3 altogether!:(,can you put it right,or shall I leave till they are removed,then re-post?.
dex

Troy Rochford
12-17-2005, 07:02 PM
That's not a critical issue, Dex. They probably won't be removed anyway since there's nothing in there that is problematic. Don't worry about it.:)

dex
12-17-2005, 07:10 PM
thanks Troy

dex
12-17-2005, 07:21 PM
CAT.....neat drawing,like it.

CJ.....looking good,looking fwd to finished pic.

dippin......Brenda great pic,love composition/colours.

dex
12-17-2005, 07:38 PM

2B, or CP,THAT!,is the question!,:)

dex
12-17-2005, 07:43 PM
It's all there yabby,:),
but isn't the mat in the wrong place?:))

Mary Woodul
12-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Brenda, those colors look great!

Dex, thank you! Your drawing is looking nice and gives the sensation of a beautiful scene but very cold weather.

Well here is where I am today and there is still a lot to do. It seems that I have been working here and there, instead of taking one part and finishing it. There are still part I don't know how I will work. I'm not happy with one of my windows and that is because I have never had a very steady pulse and line drawing has never been easy, specially not with ink. Same thing in the cornfield, although I don't think that is finished, yet. I think I will have to add some color to the church because I don't like it that way against that background although I think I would prefer just o shadow it and that is something I probably don't know how to do with what I have.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-4.jpg

Troy Rochford
12-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Mary that is fantastic! I love that. Please do keep going. I would be stuck as well on what to do in the way of coloring the church, but I'm sure someone who does more color work will be along to give you some ideas. The field looks phenomenal!

Mary Woodul
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Thank you Troy, I'll leave the church till the last and see what suggestions or ideas come up.:)

Troy Rochford
12-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Is the little link at the top of each individual post that says "add this post to favorites" new? I just noticed it today, and it's very distracting. Troubling, even.

Mary Woodul
12-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes Troy, I guess it is new, I hadn't seen it either until I posted my drawing.

dippin'colors
12-17-2005, 11:37 PM
:wave: Hello all!!
Thanks Mary, Alison and Dex..Troy hasn't commented so I suppose a 'do over' is in order. :(
Oh well, such is as such is I guess. :rolleyes:
Dex I really do like the scene you depicted..makes me think of the Alps in Sound of Music. Very free and loose and very detailed bg.
Mary I think if I squint I might see the third window slightly skewed, maybe, but I think it looks fantastic! The cornfield is very modernistic, almost like a Hockney I saw once. Keep going, it'll be wonderful. Brenda

Troy Rochford
12-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Sorry Brenda actually I missed your post. I do like that, but yes, I want to keep painting out of this program, as one does not generally think of painting when thinking "Drawing and Sketching." Must be a full moon or something, because this has never been a point of contention or debate until this particular class. Weird.

Also, I really don't want to sound like a jerk, but this is yet another example of why it is important to thoroughly read the lesson intro at the beginning of each class, and why I get the feeling that nobody actually does. I was very clear at the beginning of this one that paint was not among the acceptable media.

dippin'colors
12-18-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/67372-churchpastel2.jpg :o I DO read instructions but I did not connect watercolor pencils with painting. To me painting in watercolors is using tubes or cubes..pencils are drawing first then just filling in the color with water. BUT you are the teacher so ...I finished out the pastel. I can't say I like it but maybe something else will come to me later. :confused: :wave: Brenda

AlisonBC
12-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Mary, that is looking beautiful :) Great work on the field!

Dex, nice start :)

Brenda, the colours are fantastic. It might not be acceptable under the rules of this class, but it's a stunning piece all the same :)

Sorry if I missed anyone, my day ended with me going to a leaving 'do' and getting a little worse for wear :( :D I'll be back!

Cathie Jones
12-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Sorry Brenda actually I missed your post. I do like that, but yes, I want to keep painting out of this program, as one does not generally think of painting when thinking "Drawing and Sketching." Must be a full moon or something, because this has never been a point of contention or debate until this particular class. Weird.

Troy, it was never a point of contention because JayD allowed it in his 'free-for-all' classes as long as the drawing was posted, C&C'd and corrected before any painting was done.

So . . . I wonder if you add a post to your 'favorites' . . . where does it go? I know where my RIL favorites are, but it doesn't seem right that they'd go there. Guess we'll have to try it to find out.

Anita Murphy
12-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Mary - the field is gobsmackingly yummy! What about blues for the church - evening shadows?

Anita Murphy
12-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Brenda - I really really like this - its like a story, and it moves in a circle. Very illustrative!

IslanderNL
12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Just beautiful Mary, as always. I agree with Anita that some blues should be added tot he church and I'd also add some yellows even a tinge of pink to reflect the sun and the field.

As for me, I guess my imagination has flown the coop. I can't get anything going with this one. Nada, zip, zero. Sigh.

dex
12-18-2005, 10:52 AM
must be that haunted church in my pic!,the mountain/cliff(on left of pic!),has a miserable looking face!:),and on the left of the hut,there's a motorised sleigh!,with 3/4 people inside,+2 reindeer's in the back!:).anybody see?:)

dex
12-18-2005, 11:09 AM
MARY....nice/neat drawing,perspective looks spot on,realistic corn,colours great!,keep up good work.oh thanks for comments.

BRENDA.......love it,plenty of movement,(looks a very cruel sea!),hope the lighthouse is in good working order! :)

ALISON...nice start?:)............thought i'd finished!:)),

Judi1957
12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Dex, Nice work!! Hope you develop this more. Really your church is somewhere. My Step-son and DIL were married in a church just like this in a setting very much like yours in the hills of Virginia. Quite a lovely spot.

Brenda-Love your colors in the sky especially and comp too!

Mary-Beautiful! I love the cornfield. You did and excellent job going from the detail at the front to fading out to the back of the field.

Troy-I read every word in your instructions-LOL-that is how I knew there would be an issue with wet media sooner or later.:p

Mary Woodul
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you Brenda and Alison for your comments.

Anita and Jeanette thank you for the suggestion, I like it!

Anita, I love your new avatar!
Jeanette, It will come don't worry, it is just a fretful week.:)

CJ, I think the new feature of the "adding post to your favorites", will be announced. I tried it but couldn't make it out. I really didn't try that much.:o

Dex, thank you!

Judi, thank you and now I just hope I know what I'm doing when coloring the church. I'll do all of the rest first.:rolleyes:

Cathie Jones
12-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Anita, I've been meaning to compliment your new avatar also . . . what a beautiful face!!!

I sent a post from the WDE to favorites, and then noticed there's a 'Favorites' link in the header that has Calendars, New Posts, Search, etc. When you click it, it lists the posts you've saved there. Pretty neat for saving refs and wip sections and Troy's instructions.

I also read the instructions, Troy, which is why I asked why no paint. But let's not go there again, okay? Although I do enjoy watching your blood pressure rise! :evil:

AlisonBC
12-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Update on mine so far; I've started the paper and had to stop as my hangover...I mean headache! :evil: Isn't going away. (I realised this morning, that last night I drank more alcohol than I've consumed for 15 years! In fact! I think I had more to drink last night than I have ALTOGETHER in the last 15 years! lol No wonder I can't take it lol. :angel: )

Ok, enough of this silliness :o , this is what I've done so far. Not sure how effective the paper is going to be, or if I can carry it off well enough. Still lots of work to do on it, but what do you all think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_wpaper.jpg

dex
12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
nice drawing, and idea Alison,makes me wanna shake it!:)(to make the snow storm!) :)

Judi1957
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM
LOL Alison-we are in the same rocky boat today. Pat and I went out partying last night and ohhhh the head. :( Trouble is we can only blame ourselves! 15 years? You look like you are in your mid 20's now!
Your snow globe is looking fantastic! I think the addition of the paper and ribbon is a great idea!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

dippin'colors
12-18-2005, 04:26 PM
:D So sorry to hear Alison and Judi are 'under the weather' so to speak but if it's as long between as 15 years you have GOT to get out more girl!!!!:evil: :evil:
Still I don't think it has affected your skills Alison..your globe is looking more and more fantastic and the paper and ribbon is a wonderful addition. The crumpling and folds are very good and the curling ribbon is very realistic.
Thanks all for the C & C's on the pastel version. I keep looking at it and I know I need to do something with it but What????:confused:
Dex I'm pretty sure the lighthouse is working..there is some kind of eerie glow in that direction! I still like yours as is.. the background is very detailed as is the areas around the church. I did try to see the sleigh and reindeer but they must have left.:D :p :wink2: Brenda

AlisonBC
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Brenda, I know this :evil: Just try tellin' my husband :rolleyes:

Judi, feeling much better now :) Hope you are too!

Dex, thanks :)

This is my last update for today, time for an early night :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_morepaper_closercrop_a.jpg

I am starting to wish this globe was real :rolleyes: as I've got quite fond of it :)

Oh, and I will clean the scan bed tomorrow! lol

Robin Neudorfer
12-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Dear 101 Class,
You don't know me but I have been watching you all. I was waiting for classes to end before I made the jump. However this little church called out to me. It reminds me of one I have seen in Yosemite. I drew it off of the computer screen, and thought I was in the WDE but to my frustration it was a full-blown-class. Sorry for crashing the party.
This should have been done on better paper, larger size etc. but it is in a
7 x 10" sketch book. There are still areas that could be worked on, darker behind the left trees, continue mountain slope, field on right, top of bell tower. I am still trying to learn the best setting for my scanner but this will have to do. I may put in more time, but I really need to get the lights on the tree.
Thanks for letting me sneak this in.
Robin

Cathie Jones
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi Robin -

That's a lovely drawing, please crash the class more often! :clap:

Judi1957
12-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Robin:wave:
Like CJ said-crash in more often.:D
I really think your drawing is lovely too. I especially love the trees. Those pines look fantastic!!!

Anita Murphy
12-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Alison and Judi - no sympathy!!! Naughty girls!!

Robin - lovely light!!

Thanks all for commenting on the avatar!

Alison - this is getting better and better!

Troy Rochford
12-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Alison that looks great.

Brenda I actually think your pastel version of this looks great! It interests me in particular because I still haven't gotten around to trying my hand at that medium.

Robin- this looks really cool, and I like the comp. There's a simple solution to the "crashing" dilemma, you know?! Join 101. I'm a meanie who doesn't allow painting, but other than that, I'm usually fairly nice, and sometimes even helpful!;) And the others are as well, except for CJ. CJ is the devil~;)

Anita - need I comment on the avatar?;)

Robin Neudorfer
12-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Troy - I am planning on joining you. I just needed to take a few things off of my plate first. I have figured out a few personalities so far. You all tend to make me laugh, which they say if good for your health. You also get the 2nd angel vote of the day for attention, time and help you share with others. I'm pretty good about leaving my paint home, during drawing class. So I doubt I will be in detention (with you know who).
I need to brush up on the ol' skills so practice, practice, practice. This seems to be like a great place to do it.
I am drooling over the cp project, so I just may reserve a seat for that one.
Thanks for the invite.
Robin

dippin'colors
12-19-2005, 12:26 AM
:wave: Hello Robin and welcome!!! The sketch is wonderful..and there are never any crashers here (except after parties lol) so please after your plate is nice and clean come on in for dessert!! Detention isn't so bad :evil:
Thanks Troy but as I said it seems to lack something but I can't put my finger on it. Here is a pure graphite though. It's a little better.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/67372-church-graphite-mini.jpg

AlisonBC
12-19-2005, 04:28 AM
Hi Robin :wave: I'm still on class5 of 101 and have plucked up the courage to jump forward a few lessons; it IS good fun :)

Brenda, this looks good! There's a nice feeling to the drawing.

No updates on mine yet, as I've only just got up :rolleyes: :D

Mary Woodul
12-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Alison your update looks better and better I though it was finished.

Hope you an Judi feel better this morning, you all must have had a great time.:evil:

Robin, very nice drawing!

Brenda, I love your graphite version!

AlisonBC
12-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks Mary, feeling much better now :)

I've done a tiny bit more, but I've found myself looking at it and not being too sure what to do next. I can't decide if it's really finished or not! (probably because I don't know what I'm doing with the paper and ribbon) Any suggestions?

Sorry for the poor scan, I'm not sure what's the matter with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_another.jpg

Troy Rochford
12-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Alison I would suggest getting more values involved with the paper, but be sure to keep the contrast somewhat low and the values muted in the bg. I'd get some good darks and high contrast going on in the foreground.

CatEyes
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm only on page 8 but, I will comment before I forget who to comment to..lol

Mary: It is FANTASTIC!! My suggestion would be to maybe incorperate (hints of) some of the sky color to the church in veried places such as the pitch of the roof and a few boards along the side on thier line...plus shadows... Thank you for your words earlier. :)

Now wouldn't it be nice to have a spell check instead of a "favorite post" but maybe that is so you can return to an area you really enjoyed w/o searching through 1000 posts. lol

Dex: Thank you and I can't wait to see this developed more, it's a great start.

Brenda: I like the original piece you just finished best. It's cleaner and has a nice feel to it. The wcp is very nice as well with all the different colors and blending... You did two great pieces. :)

Jeanette: You'll figure out something, just don't think about it. ;) When we think too much our creativity gets stiffled. No worries though because I know you'll pull out something to make us all drop our jaws. :)

CJ: You're such a creative person I know you'll have a fabulous piece once you decide on a medium...I'm sorry for my wc 2c...lol..I spoke to soon not really thinking about the drawing aspect.

Keep going yall...

dex
12-19-2005, 10:25 AM
[quote=dippin'colors]:wave: Hello Robin and welcome!!! The sketch is wonderful..and there are never any crashers here (except after parties lol) so please after your plate is nice and clean come on in for dessert!! Detention isn't so bad :evil:
Thanks Troy but as I said it seems to lack something but I can't put my finger on it. Here is a pure graphite though. It's a little better. ]

"a little better!!!!!!",dont be so modest Brenda,it's someting to be proud of!:clap:

ALISON....looks good to me!(haven't you put your glasses on? :) )

dex

ps
ALISON/JUDI.........serve's u right! :))

AlisonBC
12-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks Troy - So I need to increase the foreground contrast and keep the background more muted. Do you think areas of the paper on the left are too dark as it is now? I am fighting the paper-swamping-globe-monster lol.

CatEyes
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Alison: It's really coming along well. :)

Robin: Welcome aboard!!! It's very nice!!

dippin'colors
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Alison I think it looks absolutely fabulous!!!!! If you really want to do anything more the only suggestion I have is to leave everything as is and do a darker bg to make the globe and wrappings pop out more. Maybe a dark tablecloth or a muted wood panel wall? Everything you have now looks divinely perfect :angel: :D
Alison, Mary thank you for your comments. :o Dex and Tia thanks!:o
I guess it's because of the calmer country scenery instead of the maritime stormier one.It lends itself to B/W more. Brenda

AlisonBC
12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Oooh Brenda! I'd not even thought about the back-background! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Troy Rochford
12-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Alison I agree on darkening the bg but don't get carried away, and yes, I think you need to put some good darks and lights in the foreground with some clean edges to bring it into better focus, then leave the paper toward the bg (that's what I was referring to earlier) muted, but you still need more values at this point. The left side is not too dark. The prob is that right now the contrast is SO low and the dominant value is a fairly weak gray that it makes that part of the drawing look like a drawing, which is in conflict with the more finished look of the rest of the piece.

AlisonBC
12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks Troy - I knew the paper was going to be tough! lol I'll get on with adding/sharpening up/darks&values tomorrow. And I'll try very hard to not make my drawing look like a drawing Sir :rolleyes: :p

Anita Murphy
12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Please don't give up on me Troy - I am coming but have some other things to tie up before I get to the classroom - will bring an apple for teacher when I eventually get there :D:D:D:D:D:D

Troy Rochford
12-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Just bring me my truck Anita and all is forgiven.:)

Fireman's kid
12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Troy, I haven't given up on this class yet either. I plan on being late with Anita. (Psst, Anita, can that apple be from both of us?!?) I even have an idea of what I want to draw. Of course I have no idea how to pull it off, but...oh, well.

I won't have anything to post this week since I am in a Christmas frenzy. :eek: But am hoping next week will be really calm and I'll have a lot of drawing time. See you all then. :wave:

Merry Christmas!

AlisonBC
12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
An update from me. It's taken me a while to get my head around subtle backgrounds and increasing darks/contrast, so my update is a nervous one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2005/68572-class_threeone_darker.jpg

The good thing about seeing it on screen is it makes it easier to see where more work is needed lol.

ladyronnie
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Okay...(panting here)...PHEW! I have spent the past most-of-an-hour reading this entire thread, start to finish. Yes, Troy, I read EVERY WORD of your intro. "No paint." Got it. I'm no good at color anyway.

So, I have an idea, only one, and don't know if I could pull it off. But I'll do a prelim sketch and see what happens. Hope it's ok if I join Anita and Stacy in the Second Wave? We'll have to buy a whole BAG of apples maybe??

Troy, I sure hope you are working on a new signature! That one's downright scary! I have to keep it out of sight to read your posts. Sure did like Clint better! :eek:

Troy Rochford
12-21-2005, 09:25 AM
That looks great Alison!

Stacy take your time and no apples necessary, at least not for me.

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Troy, I think I still have to work on the grass around around the church. it is barely visible. I just bought a thin pigment liner with darker brown, to go over it. I wish I hadn't worked the road first because I think it is too dark and I think tha makes an unbalance with the grass around the church.

Alison, I reall love your globe, you gave the glass the look a heavy glass very nicely.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-5.jpg

CatEyes
12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Oooo Mary it's so nice!!!!! I love the colors on the church!!! nice work...not sure about the road..I am sure teach will have the solution.

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Thank you tia, I am working on it and putting in a reddish field on the church side but I also see on the monitor that the horizon color is too even to the corn field, so I think it needs a little work there also. I'm trying to put colored pencil over the road and it seems to be lightening it, a little.

IslanderNL
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
The globe is just delicious Alison. Great job! :)

Mary, as always you shine through. This is a charming drawing. The colour is lovely. I agree with you on the grass, it does need to be darkened and filled in to not compete with the road. Are you leaving it as black and white (the grass) or using colour on it?

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi Jeanette, thank you! I found a redish brown color and I almost have it all but I am afraid I will have to do some adjusting with the colors. I will post it this afternoon. This is new to me because I have always painted my mixed media work in a more accidental way with pours and then brush but I have never done a landscape before. My paintings are either abastract or closeups so i am afraid I messed this one up a bit.:o

Judi1957
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey All!:wave:
Alison-I agree with Mary-you can 'feel' the weight of the glass. Coming along great! I did some crumpled tissue paper once and there were a lot of values to do.:eek:

Mary-Looks lovely! Maybe you can balance the weight of the darks by the church and tower roofs being a lil darker?-just a thought. Troy will be better with ideas on that though.

I am going to finish my rough tonight:o

CatEyes
12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Alison: I didn't forget ya, I think the email link skipped posts.
It looks great!!!

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I think this looks better, but you are right Judi maybe the church needs to be darker.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/43096-101-31-6.jpg

The scan is not very good, I'll try a picture of it.

dex
12-21-2005, 04:57 PM
coming along nicely Mary,I was thinking "pine",for church(but thought,better keep my mouth shut") :)

Alison....agree with rest,it does look heavy(better than a rolling pin,eh!?) :)

dex

AlisonBC
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Love the colours Mary! :clap: Great job :)

Thanks everyone :) I've left the globe alone today to get on with some Christmas stuff. Should get back to it tomorrow.

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi Dex, thank you! No don't keep your mouth shut. What do you mean by pine. The panel of the walls or a tree?:)

Thank you, Alison! I don't think this is finished either but I really don't know what else to do with it.

AlisonBC
12-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I know the feeling Mary, I've got a sense of 'over working' the globe, though I know it isn't really finished yet. Maybe we just need to give them a bit of a rest and come back to them with fresh eyes? It's what I am going to do anyway :D

Judi1957
12-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Mary-Looks really nice!
I was only talking about the roofs being darker. I really love the texture of the road!! Do you think you may want to do something at the base of the steps instead of stepping into grass there?

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Yes Alison, although yours is beautiful and not over worked but I think I am also going to give it a rest.

That would be nice Judi, the problem is that the grass is ink as is the road and the corn field, so I really dont know. The color of the church is CP so that can be darkened. My intention was to give it a minimalist or surreal feel to it, but I overworked the road.:o I also tried to bring out the front corn stalks more but I found out you can't put ink over CP and I had colored the gaps with CP. At least with a rapidograph you can't because the wax gets into the nib.

Judi1957
12-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh yeh ink:o sorry bout that. Got a quill?:D
I don't think the road is overworked I think it really gorgeous. I think you could indicate more detail to the front of the church so the detail coordinates with the detail of the road...Or do you have that and it is the scan?

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 07:56 PM
I see what you mean Judi, Yes, I can put the end of a little pebble path ther like the road and you are right it would look much better. I think I should also darken the shadow of the front of the church although in real life it is darker.

Troy Rochford
12-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Mary I'm not really good at figuring out how to tweak colors in art, because the only color work I ever do involves simply mimicing the colors of my reference photo. I'm not wild about the strong red in your grass, but I'm kind of stumped as to what to suggest. I don't want to ruin your drawing, so I think what I would suggest is that you post it over in the cp forum and ask for advice. :)

Btw, in all other aspects, I love what you've done with this. It looks great.

Mary Woodul
12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Thank you Troy. I agree with you, after I saw the whole thing I felt the same. It was even brighter but I subdued it a little with a yellow ochre prisma. I will post it over there tomorrow and see what can be done because the ink does take the CP well, without it getting completely covered.:)

CatEyes
12-22-2005, 11:21 AM
:wave:Peeps!

Happy Holidays to you all!!!

Here's my update for the time being.... I will add the highlight to her eyes later... I've been working mostly on her hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/62985-class31more.jpeg

Judi1957
12-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi Tia!:wave:
Looks good! I wanted to ask earlier-is this a child of yours, relation or friend?

Posting rough stage 1-lol-just to show ya I have started it.:D A lot of detail to work out yet though as the adjacent structure will be a house with a roofed front porch and more houses fading out in detail. Plan some people in it as a leisurely Sunday afternoon. Most likely will do some cropping for a more close-up and will be doing this in cp on either bristol vellum or stonehenge.

AlisonBC
12-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Looking great Tia :)

Judi, looking forward to seeing this one! :)

cmwynn
12-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi! Just stopped by to say hello and Merry Christmas to all. I thought I would get into this one, but just have to pass. I haven't even seen very many images, as I am getting a very slow view and can't read very many pages at a time. I think I am also going to skip the colored pencil lesson for now. It involves a major investment in time and effort, as well as adding to my art supplies, but I will be keeping an eye for all the progress. I know you will all be experts at that very soon.

Cathie Jones
12-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi Connie! Merry Christmas to you, too.

Judi, your prelim looks terrific . . . and seeing your perspective lines I know why I gave up. I fought the perspective for 3 days and finally got the back of the building in pretty good shape, then totally messed up the front. So I'm concentrating on Christmas and getting ready for the CP class.

I'm still hanging around, though, and watching. :D

Mary Woodul
12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Tia, I just love what you are doing and it is looking great.

Judi, wow you are the queen of perspective, it is going to be another one of your masterpieces.

Connie and CJ, Merry Christmas.

CatEyes
12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mary, Alison and Judi, nice prelim!!! Can't wait to see where this goes. This is from a picture of my daughter last Christmas. She was actually holding a bag with a healing stone pig necklace inside.

Hi Connie, Happy Holidays... Sorry your not joining this one..it doesn't have to be in CP just have to use the church in some sort of scene is all. :) We'll miss ya...but we know where to find you. :)

I appreciate the feedback. So everything looks okay to you? No funky spots yet? (besides the puple highlight..lol)

Troy Rochford
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Tia that's coming along nicely, just take your time. Connie have a great Christmas! Judi that's going to be mighty nice:)

Metier
12-22-2005, 08:06 PM
You people are amazing. The dedication is inspiring. I have had to take time off for work. I come back and you are all here. Cathy, mlelvier, Judi, JayD, , fireman's kid, a nd everyone else. I am inspired!

Judi1957
12-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey Connie!:wave: :wave: So happy to hear from you. Well then you just sit back and watch the show.:) I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and New Year! Please don't be a stanger - your feedback is always appreciated! See you soon!

TY CJ, Mary, Tia and Troy:)

Hi Meiter!:wave: So Glad you stopped in.:D Hope you join us soon!

JayD
12-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Metier! Welcome back--we missed you!!

JayD
12-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Judi, that workup is awesome--its going to be a great cp piece!!

AlisonBC
12-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Merry Christmas Connie! :)

Cathie Jones
12-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Metier! We've missed you . . .

Alison, I love the graphite version in your sig of your CP ref. I looked at Nicole's CP and Rosa also did it recently - but I bet yours will be the best!

Hi JayD and Judi and Tia and Mary . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/23460-smiley_baubles.gif

AlisonBC
12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
CJ! Thanks for the HUGE vote of confidence, but I really don't think I can top what has been done by Nicole or Rosa. I've done one cp drawing in my whole adult life! lol (and that was a weird coloured trout :D)

Mary Woodul
12-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Troy, this is just a copy it is not the real drawing but was afraid to use the colors on the real one until you saw them. This is what was suggested at CP. Three shades of green that are all greyish greens. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/43096-copia_101-31.jpg

The sky and the top of the roof looks pale but that is because it is a copy. hey are darker IRL.

AlisonBC
12-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Mary, I would love to give you a proper opinion on the colour! From what I can see the grass is great (my daughter said the field, path and grass are all 'cool' :) ) I can see the tonal qualities and they work really well. I love the textures you've developed, and the perspective works really well. :)

No update on mine as I've been cleaning and cooking.

Mary Woodul
12-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Thank you Alison for your comment. BTW, your graphite tomatoes are gorgeous!

AlisonBC
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you Mary :)

Troy Rochford
12-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah Mary that looks good. I was meaning to ask if you got around to posting over there for advice.. I haven't gotten around to checking. They definitely seem to have steered you in the right direction.:)

Mary Woodul
12-23-2005, 04:50 PM
OK, thank you Troy, then I'll do it to the real one and post when done!:)

dex
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Troy, this is just a copy it is not the real drawing but was afraid to use the colors on the real one until you saw them. This is what was suggested at CP. Three shades of green that are all greyish greens. What do you think?

The sky and the top of the roof looks pale but that is because it is a copy. hey are darker IRL.

Hi Mary,
perspective/grass/corn .......spot-on,great job!
dex

dex
12-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Mary, I would love to give you a proper opinion on the colour! From what I can see the grass is great (my daughter said the field, path and grass are all 'cool' :) ) I can see the tonal qualities and they work really well. I love the textures you've developed, and the perspective works really well. :)

No update on mine as I've been cleaning and cooking.

Nice work Alison,very smooth!,(kept cleaner than my work too!)lol

Mary Woodul
12-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Thank you, Dex!

JayD
12-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi CJ--we WUB you!!! how is retirement treatin' you!!

JayD
12-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi, cateyes--I was prowling the class rooms and I came across this wondeful line drawing--it reminds me of Clara the little girl from the Nutcracker. I guess the them of this class is churches I have loved and inked. Just a tip on the stippling if you do not mind. If you look at the work of other pen and ink artists who utilize this technique you will see that many try to establish a repetitive pattern of the dots. you start out light and build layer by layer keeping in mind that the further apart the dots the lighter the tone--the closer together --the darker. When I work with stippling, I keep a practice piece of paper by my side that i test the dotting on before I apply it to the drawing. Keep going--this is looking great!

Cathie Jones
12-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi JayD - I wub you, too!! I'm so glad you're participating again and really looking forward to being in the CP class with you and our 101 friends.

Retirement is getting old. I have my new business set up and have sent out a few flyers, but no clients yet . . . starting to get nervous!! There must be a couple of doctors out there who need a good billing service!!!! :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/23460-smiley_cold_stuck_tongue.gif
(Just kidding - it was 72F here today!!)

JayD
12-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Well, if you get really desperate, CJ I can always set you up as one of VAR accounts and you can also sell paternity testing. You mentioned flyers--did you do a mailing or did you drop by the the doctor's offices and introduce yourself?

Cathie Jones
12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey, billing or paternity testing . . . it's all medical, right?? :D

According to a 30-year expert, it's not a good idea to 'drop in' on the doctors - and having spent time in a waiting room, I have to agree. And if they have a current biller, you have to be very careful. I did a mailing a couple of weeks ago with Christmas cards and the flyer. Tomorrow I'm sending out a "flu season overload billing" flyer.

I'm not flat broke yet, thanks to the newspaper, but I could be calling on you guys to send me your Christmas dinner left-overs!!:eek: Who's a good cook here??? (Just kidding - we're hosting Christmas Eve this year and I'm cooking)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/23460-smiley_cook.gif

Judi1957
12-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Mary!:wave: Love the additions of greens. Looks like that was just the ticket. Glad you posted over there. They have a lot of talent over there. The work over there really amazes me.

CJ!:wave: I can't wait for the CP class as well.:) Though I am still excited to finish this one by the end of next week. But really doubt I can get 100%done.
What time is diner? Ha-ha-Christmas Story-"stuck-stuck"-lol one of my favorite parts (the smiley)

Hi Troy, JayD, Alison, Tia and anyone else out there. :wave:

JayD
12-23-2005, 10:51 PM
you might want to set up some arrangements with golf courses (I am not kidding) to place your flyers where they can be picked up. Regarding your expert--take his advice but if you dont generate cash flow then you may have to think outside the box.

HIII JUDI!!! I cant wait for the cp class to start either but I am struggling with Miss Camille's line drawing right now. I noticed something very interesting about the painting when I was taking it apart with my sketch pad and I went back and checked his other paintings of her as well. Monet slanted his wife's eyes slightly to give her a bit of an oriental look. Subtle and interesting.

Robin Neudorfer
12-23-2005, 11:41 PM
I have officially registered for class, (promise I will do lessons 1-5) but during winter break I want to share that I cleaned my small piece up a bit. Though I am still testing out different photoshop adjustments. I think I need to make a deal with my 16 yr old who is a wiz at it. The drawing is at Kinkos, to see how it looks ala holiday card...oh...am I late? Thankfully those that receive mine don't seem to care.
IRL the little bleep in the sky is not there. Tried to remove it in PS..oops

Cathie Jones
12-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Awesome job, Robin! It'll make a fantastic card.

Good idea re golf course, JayD . . . I'll give it a try after the holidays.:clap:

Fireman's kid
12-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!!

Just snuck in here to have a read. Really need to be in the kitchen starting my Christmas dinner prep. (A lot of make ahead casseroles so I don't have to live in the kitchen tomorrow and miss all the fun. :rolleyes: ) We start celebrating today at 4 by attending church.

Speaking of churches...still haven't started mine but hope to get to it next week...although I just remembered that I have to do my cp line drawing too. Busy, busy, busy!

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday weekend! :)

Cathie Jones
12-24-2005, 09:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2005/23460-merryxmas.gif

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Dec-2005/23460-Smiley_Hanukkah.gif

We're celebrating tonight so my granddaughter can spend Christmas Day with her dad. Started cooking yesterday so I'll be around a bit today . . .

AlisonBC
12-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Gorgeous Church Robin :) I love the colour you've used...something sepia?

Merry Christmas Everyone :D

CatEyes
12-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Ty JayD I will keep your words in mind. :)

Nice work Robin, it's gorgeous!!

Alison I agree about the graphite sig!

Thank you all and Merry Blessed holidays to ya!!!

Mary: Excellent choice I can't wait to see it done.

Robin Neudorfer
12-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Thank you all and a very Merry Christmas.
Computer is in the kitchen, so I can cook and look.
Tia - I love the pen and ink. Love pen and ink work. It is coming along beautifully.
Judy - I am interested in your little town perspective. I'll be watching.
Alison - the snowglobe is very creative. I love the addition of the wrapping paper. To answer your ? on the color of my piece...something happened between the scan, PS, and uploading. Can't take credit, but on some settings of the home printer it didn't look half bad. One of those happy mistakes. I am waiting to see what comes from Kinko's prelim print. I'm not rushing it, I need something to do next week, not today.
Mary- I love the vintage look your piece has. It brings up memories of visiting grandparents in central calif.
Well I am not sure if any of you are sitting in snow, but we have 80 degrees here today in sunny southern CA. It is hard to believe it is December, when the roses are still blooming. A cracklin' fire would put me in the mood. I guess the smell of turkey and cider will have to do.

Mary Woodul
12-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Thank you Tia!

Robin, your drawing is spectacular. I love it! It seems to me that all of the newbies that are coming into to the 101 class are already excellent artists. At the end you all will really be THE artists.

BTW, we woke up at 34 degrees today and it went up to 75 and since houses don't have central heating here, only one or two gas heater that really don't help much, the houses are very cold but you go out in the sun at midday and it is beautiful. So we put our sweaters and jackets on to go into the houses.:)

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Cathie Jones
12-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Robin, I had to laugh at your message. It was 75F in Apple Valley today . . . I had to wear the Christmas sweatshirt my mom gave me, and cook dinner with all the windows open!!!:D

IslanderNL
12-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Lovely drawings Tia, Mary, Alison and Judi. Each has its won charm and appeal. I'm afraid I just haven't gotten going on this one. I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. I think creativity and composition aren't in my vocabulary.

Well, as for snow, yes we do have it. Perhaps about 2 inches of it onthe ground and a little snow lightly falling, perfect,classic Christmas Eve. I think though I would gladly exchange it for that heat in California or Mexico though, especially come February when its -10C and the wind is blowing. So who wants to do a house swap for the winter? :)

Merry Christmas my friends. 20 minutes to Christmas Day here. Newfoundland is the first in North America to see Christmas but I don't think my eyes will last another 20 minutes. Must be old age....lol I need my sleep. Or is that the martinis that are taking effect??

IslanderNL
12-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Sorry Robin, I missed you in my comments. Your church against the trees is simply lovely. A great composition.

Troy Rochford
12-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Nice work Robin! Hey what is going on with the trees on the left? Are they heavily covered in snow and some areas of foliage are showing through, or is it that they're light trees and those dark areas are the hills in the bg showing through? I might just be tired but that was the one part I couldn't figure out. I like the way you did the strong light shining on the church. Nice touch:)

dex
12-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Tia!:wave:
Looks good! I wanted to ask earlier-is this a child of yours, relation or friend?

Posting rough stage 1-lol-just to show ya I have started it.:D A lot of detail to work out yet though as the adjacent structure will be a house with a roofed front porch and more houses fading out in detail. Plan some people in it as a leisurely Sunday afternoon. Most likely will do some cropping for a more close-up and will be doing this in cp on either bristol vellum or stonehenge.

Hey Judi,great perspective sketch,
(only just saw it!:( ).Fandabydozy!!
regards
dex

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 10:04 AM
I've tried to post this three times! Each time my stupid pc has shut me down just as I've been about to post :mad: . So this time I am posting the picture without all the text I had written with it (I guess the pc doesn't like my written nonsense :rolleyes:)

Here it is, finished I think, more darks added to the foreground to (hopefully) lead the eye up to the Church and globe. Paper lighter on the right to reflect the lighter side of the church (shadows etc) darker and higher on the left to reflect more shadow and also the height of the tower. I've learnt a lot! But my pc wont let me say what :evil:

Troy, it still looks like a drawing, but I rather like the illustrative feel of it.

I hope this works this time!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2005/68572-classthreeone_last.jpg

Oh, 2b mechanical pencil on Bristol. Size about 6" x 8"

dex
12-26-2005, 10:20 AM
great work Alison,even the entrance to the church looks inviting,with all that snow piled-up outside!:)
regards
dex

dex
12-26-2005, 10:27 AM
I have officially registered for class, (promise I will do lessons 1-5) but during winter break I want to share that I cleaned my small piece up a bit. Though I am still testing out different photoshop adjustments. I think I need to make a deal with my 16 yr old who is a wiz at it. The drawing is at Kinkos, to see how it looks ala holiday card...oh...am I late? Thankfully those that receive mine don't seem to care.
IRL the little bleep in the sky is not there. Tried to remove it in PS..oops

Nice drawing Robin,I think if you added an angel above those ray's over the church,it would make a lovely christmas card!;)

regards
dex

Robin Neudorfer
12-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Alison - I love the feeling this piece gives me. I do want to just shake it up.
Well done.
Dex - This is a nice idea. However it is done for this year. Went to Kinko's for a proof sheet and they printed up the whole batch of 100. They didn't even charge me since they weren't supposed to print them until I saw the sample. I had it reduced to a 4x 6". Now I have the fun project of mounting them. I enjoyed doing this project, especially since I had no expectations for it when I started. I also was allowed to crash the class which was fun.

My wish came true. It's raining here today. Perfect day for a fire, browse art sites on WC, and start a line drawing.
Robin

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks Dex and Robin :)

Looks like we are heading for some snow Dex! Best get the sled out :D

Cathie Jones
12-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Alison, it's beautiful! I do think it could use a touch of something very dark in back, like the dark ribbon you have in front. :clap:

Mary Woodul
12-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Alison, I have loved that globe ever since I saw it and you just keep making it better. It looks superb to me!

dex
12-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Robin.....glad you got a "Freebie!":),(that will teach them?:) )

Alison......you're welcome,I'll get sled out,if you'll drive!:)

dex

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A NICE XMAS,
AND HAVE A BETTER,NEW YEAR!!

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 01:33 PM
CJ, you mean the back that has no graphite at all? I'll have a photoshop go at it and see what it looks like :)

Mary, thank you :)

Dex, You want ME to drive :evil: I assume you don't want to live to see 2006 :p

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I've done a quick photoshop with the black from the ribbon. It wouldn't look as solid or as wobbly as this if I were doing it for real of course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Dec-2005/68572-classthreeone_last_withblack.JPG

Cathie Jones
12-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Alison, I meant small areas in the paper shadows and creases, not the background - I'd never wish that on you!!! :D

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 02:30 PM
LOL, thank goodness :D I'll look at the creases and add a few more subtle darks :)

Troy Rochford
12-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Well I was going to say I agree with CJ, Alison, but evidently I misunderstood what she meant also. Having said that, I agree with her actual point, but also that you should darken the bg as you did in photoshop (not that dark, but that area of the bg).

Robin - Did you see my earlier question about your trees?? That wasn't meant as an insult, I would genuinely like to know the answer to this.

Troy Rochford
12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh Alison = try to avoid going total black on anything that you darken BEHIND the globe. That'll kill your depth

Robin Neudorfer
12-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Troy - sorry, I answered you in my head but I guess not here. I gave it some thought when you asked and my only answer is that it goes back to my arch. rendering and graphic roots. I left it as a graphic interpretation of some trees in the background. Thank you for asking, I don't take anything as a criticism. I see it one way others see it another. It is a matter of perspective and I certainly don't take offense. I treasure looking through others eyes. Mine are rather rusty these days, and I am here to sharpen them up.

AlisonBC
12-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Troy, CJ: It must be the Christmas thing, but I am now totally confused. Doing a quick sum-up; I need to darken the background, but not as dark as I did in photoshop, and I need to add more darks to the paper?

Troy Rochford
12-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes Alison.:) Happy shading.

AlisonBC
12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
More shading huh? :cool:

OK, another installment on the saga of the globe. I am not saying a word.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2005/68572-globe_done.jpg

It's not finished I know. The dark lines on the bottom left is a black slate mantle piece. The right angled dark on the right is an old, battered, black slate mirror surround. Ok, I said a few words :D

JayD
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi, Alison--I have one comment--I've been watching this the entire time and I like the fact that you have eliminated that black background but keeping in mind that you are working with a transparent object--take note of the direction of the grain of the circular area inside the globe and then at the background--I suspect
that you strokes should be running in the same directions. what do you think?

bsnowden
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Just taking a peek Alison. I love it!

AlisonBC
12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Bernice, thank you :) I think I still love it...lol

I agree JayD; I guess that's a problem when adding something as significant as a background on top of an established drawing. I have the problem of a layer of fixative to deal with before I can make the globe look like it's in front of the mirror surround :rolleyes: It's a learning process!

Thanks for looking in :)

Cathie Jones
12-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Alison, it gets better and better and better . . . . . .:clap:

dex
12-27-2005, 08:16 PM
alison...I'd leave as is now!!.............but what do I know?:)...(well I did ask you to drive!) :)

good point JayD,about the bg lines in he globe,(did'nt notice that!)

Troy Rochford
12-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Alison that looks terrific! I agree with Jay's observation but that should be a minor fix. Also - if you look at that bg area, you'll see that your tone is darkest along the upper right edge of the globe. I would lay down some more graphite and bring the rest of it up to match that. This will read better with that circle area inside the globe, since that light tone should be a muted version of the unobstructed bg.

AlisonBC
12-28-2005, 05:29 AM
CJ, Dex, Troy, thank you :) Troy and JayD, I've another installment :cat: hopefully covering the points you've raised!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/68572-another_last_globe.jpg

Hey Dex! You best bring your sled, woolly hat and gloves! The snow is here and still falling :D

Judi1957
12-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Gorgeous Alison!!!!

JayD
12-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Outstanding Alison (with one L)!!!!

AlisonBC
12-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Thank you Judi and JayD :)

Mary Woodul
12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Alison, your globe is outstanding!

Troy, I'll post my finished drawing tomorrow, hopefully. Don't think I was trying to get away with posting the copy, as the finished piece.:)

AlisonBC
12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mary :) Looking forward to seeing your piece!

dippin'colors
12-28-2005, 06:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
This is one time I wish I knew how to do the smilies like Dee and Judi!!! Alison you are THE GRAND MISTRESS without question.
The globe, wrappings, ribbon, backgroung, reflections, snow...it's all beyond words. This is something to treasure and pass on in the family I think. Just beautiful. Brenda

AlisonBC
12-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Goodness Brenda, thank you! :o

Troy Rochford
12-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Great job, Alison! I'm a bit disappointed with the way this class has turned out, but then I guess I should have expected as much with everyone's mind on either xmas or the upcoming cp class. I also said at the beginning of this class that it could either be really interesting with some really inspiring pieces generated, or it could be incredibly lame and no one gets anything out of it. Unfortunately for most, the latter seems to be true. Nothing necessarily "wrong" with that, but it's just disappointing.

That said, I do appreciate the effort from those of you who did get something out of this lesson! The drawings produced in this class are few and far between, but they are wonderful. I look forward to seeing updates from those of you still in progress.:)