PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp boats are a comin....

Chiers
12-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Another painting done from one of Pastel Mamas WDE referenced. No presketch, just painted on new canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2005/23771-shrimpboat_pnt.jpg

justjean
12-12-2005, 01:02 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

leofaerie17
12-12-2005, 01:21 AM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Sherry this is very dynamic boy how did you get all those masts so straight:clap: :clap: :clap:

CarlC
12-12-2005, 01:30 AM
I can see how the sky and the water was accomplished and the blending is really nice. Did you draw and paint the boats from stratch? If yes, the detail and lines of the mast and rigging had to be very time consuming.
Are you using a pad to draw on? I've got to get me one of those.
What program did you use.
This looks like it was painted in oil on canvas.
Really nice. I hope to be able to do something like that someday.
Carl

Chiers
12-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Jean, Bev, Carl thanks!

Bev, I used the tool for straight lines in painter. I don't even know what it's called. The straight line maker ha ha.... Without that tool I cannot make a straight line for anything. Even with a ruler.:o

Carl, I didn't even bother to sketch the boats I just began painting them with the oil brush. The rigging was done very quickly with the above mentioned tool but I just wanted to give the impression of it. Here is the reference I used and as you can see, the rigging in my painting is really nothing like the real thing. As you can see, there really isn't any detail to the boats either. I am trying to learn to paint...just enough....and let the viewer fill in the details. This was painted in Corel Painter 1X.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/23771-shrimpboats_12_9.jpg

barryt
12-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Love the sky, love the water, and love the dark boats. Beautiful painting. Well done Sherry!

Skinny
12-12-2005, 08:00 AM
What beautiful reflections in the water! You've really managed to give relatively dull colors a pop.

jhercilia
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I love the color and the mood of the painting. It is way better than the reference photo. Greet job, Sherry. Wow! I would love to see this printed in a huge size!

waheednasir
12-12-2005, 02:18 PM
some nice mood and palette..very well done sherry...:).

poolekv
12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Great picture Cheirs lovely sunset and great reflections on the water
Kevin

Digital Portraits
12-12-2005, 05:35 PM
5 stars from me! If there were any favorites list, this one would be in it. amazing job, those reflections are gorgeous

TxAggieDarlin
12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
There's Dancing tonight...........whooooo this is awesome and I LOVE SHRIMP BOATS. I love to go down to the coast and see the shrimpers sitting in the docks and I love seeing them working out in the water...There is just something so romantic and calming about them.. YOu have done an excellent job. Makes me want to try. I have taken pictures of them to paint, but never gave it a go.......You have outdone yourself on this one....:clap: :clap:

TxAggieDarlin
12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
HOW DO YOU MAKE IT COLOR?

TxAggieDarlin
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
well, it worked that time >>>>>>>>

Chiers
12-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks so much for all your comments everyone.

TX, give it a go it really isn't that hard. Just paint an impression of the boats and rigging instead of trying to paint each and every detail right. If you paint a good impression, our minds will fill in the details.

Bytemebabs
12-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Beautiful job on this Sherry! I can see this hanging on the wall! Hope you made it big enought to do that. I love the reflections.

JCoop
12-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Sherry, this one's a stunner!!! Good grief!!!... those dramatic reflections blow me away!:eek:

LadyAlba
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I just saw this and I love it!! The reflections in the water are perfect ;o)

Shan Khurram
12-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Sherry.Beautifully done.Iagree that impression is more important.Verynice work .

Chiers
12-15-2005, 02:18 AM
Babs, Joel, Marge, Shan thanks much!

Babs, no I really didn't paint this very big. 4"x6" at 300dpi. I don't sell my digi stuff, well, I don't market it anyway, and I am not fond enough of this type picture to want to print it out for myself. When I paint something like that I usually do it at a size that will limit my zooming and scrolling while I paint. The only things I paint at a really respectable printing size are things that I want to print for myself, family or on request. Digis that is of course.

barryt
12-15-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Sherry. It is fascinating to see the various approaches to size. I always (nearly) paint at around A4 size 8.5" x 12" at 300dpi. I like being able to zoom in, then stand back by zooming out. I find I can blow these up to A3+ with no loss, and it shows up the brushwork

Chiers
12-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Sherry. It is fascinating to see the various approaches to size. I always (nearly) paint at around A4 size 8.5" x 12" at 300dpi. I like being able to zoom in, then stand back by zooming out. I find I can blow these up to A3+ with no loss, and it shows up the brushwork

Barry, if I am painting something I think I might want to print, I too paint at a larger size, but if its not going to be a keeper and I know it then I don't. Well, the exception might be when I'm attempting to paint a portrait. Then I paint larger because its so much easier to size my brushes for the canvas and easier to see and paint detail. But for a landscape, or most still live, etc unless I want to print, I paint smaller and usually don't bother with any kind of presketch.There is a big difference in the way I paint for print, and the way I paint for the monitor/web!:wave:

barryt
12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Gotcha Sherry. Yes if I'm painting just for the web, I stick with 72dpi, but the size is still around 2000 pixels wide plus. keeping the same size, as you say, helps in choosing the brush size and the response obtained. :)

PushingPixels
12-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Very dramatic piece. I like it.

digistyle
12-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Really nice brushwork. This is one of my favorites from you!

digistyle

omniartz
12-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Very beautiful image of boats and the reflections in the water. Great treatment of the light and a nice composition! Well done!!

Kirk

fugitive
12-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey, I like this one, the semi darkness, the boats, looking good.

JKBRYM
12-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Sherry, I'm blown away!!! I love the sky and water and colors. The only thing I would suggest is to blur or wiggle the refelctions a bit because there is a little movement in the water as there usually is in the ocean. Wonderful job, you should make a print of it and put them in galleries.

John