PDA

View Full Version : Frozen

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first time on this forum. I am pretty shy to post my work here so I usually give more critiques than I post work. I hope you like this, I love doing the hair especially. I loved doing this because it was based on reality with a bit of fantasy. I have many works over the past four to five years though I will post some now and then depdending on the feedback :). I'm a little shy posting this, since I am new. Nice to meet you all!

P.S. when I had finished, I applied a small 'inkling' of a canvas texture if you can see :) It's just for the extra effect

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/05/344/15/Frozen1134332924.jpg

Bytemebabs
12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
If I were you, I would quit being shy about posting your work as it is stunning! and I would put one little "glint" of highlight in that eye. I am looking very forward to seeing more of your work!:wave:

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 03:54 PM
If I were you, I would quit being shy about posting your work as it is stunning! and I would put one little "glint" of highlight in that eye. I am looking very forward to seeing more of your work!:wave:
wow thank you :)! that was very kind of you :) by the way, nice to meet you! what's your name? and you're definitely correct about the eye, I should have done that before. Another point someone brought up was the shadow from the long hair strands along her face, what do you suggest?

teszeract
12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Hello and welcome. A beautiful painting. It's the lips that I love. You are very skilful. Can we know a bit more about the image? Program, size?

Looking a bit more closely, I do like your deft touch - the only thing that distracts for me are the hard strands of hair over the face. It jars (for me) against the soft technique of the rest. I would also love to see more.

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Hello and welcome. A beautiful painting. It's the lips that I love. You are very skilful. Can we know a bit more about the image? Program, size?

Looking a bit more closely, I do like your deft touch - the only thing that distracts for me are the hard strands of hair over the face. It jars (for me) against the soft technique of the rest. I would also love to see more.
Thank you! and my apologiez, I forgot to write that I have used Photoshop CS 2 as my program of choice. The size itself is a 1:1 ratio with the visual, so the details are exactly as shown. I also agree with you, it was my mistake to not have used softer extensions.. jokingly, I once said it looks like she may have split ends heh. Some actually liked the contrast between the soft face and the striking hair, I can see how it works both ways :) Maybe it works to the advantage, or maybe it makes it seem like an error. I think it will be left up to the viewer.. but personally, I would have to side with you on this one. :). Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply!

Jin
12-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Digital Portraits,

Welcome to WetCanvas! and welcome to sharing your work. I agree, this painting is stunning and you're obviously a very skilled and talented artist.

My first impression, aside from loving the overall look of the subject and your painting style was that I liked very much the straight Asian hair and the delicate way you've painted the strands. I did, and still do, like the contrast between the strands of hair and the soft, delicate face though I'll make some suggestions below about that part of the painting.

One thing that bothered me a little was the hair that overlaps the white puff thing on the subjects head, her right side. While other hair is basically straight, these few hairs are not straight so they look like the brush wasn't quite under your control in that spot.

Also, after reading some of the other comments and looking at the painting again, I agree that the hair overlapping the right side of the subject's face is a bit too strong, or maybe too many strands together is the cause. If you could make those strands less dense and the brushstrokes just a tiny bit lighter/thinner, I think it would be more in keeping with the wonderfully delicate and soft look of the rest of the painting. Not too much softened, just a tiny bit so those strands don't look so much like digital brushstrokes.

Your light touch is wonderful. The highlights on the hair are beautifully done and the highlight color is perfect.

It's just a great painting, so thanks for working up your courage enough to share it with us.

Please don't be shy a minute longer. Your work is pure pleasure for the rest of us... and very inspiring.

Thank you, sincerely!

leofaerie17
12-11-2005, 05:39 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hi, You are a very detailed artist, I shy away from that, please post more I welcomed u on another thread by the way, its funny but the thing i have trouble with is the white things in her hair they have no detail at all thats my only problem with it other wise I think its perfect:clap: :clap: :clap:

barryt
12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Digital (?) it's wonderful. As we all know, we always wonder if we've finished a thing or should have done this or that. Don't worry, there are many interpretations. You'll get plenty of advice here and it's all given in a good and friendly spirit. We look forward to more.

Yako
12-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Don't be shy patrick your work is cool! :cool: Welcome to this forum :wave: and, keep posting don't be a lurker!

LadyAlba
12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Let me start off by saying Welcome and you definitely don't have anything to be shy about with your work! :wink2: I love everything about this and yes it is with the viewer.....you can't please everyone all the time and some only part of the time so the bottom line is if you like it....go for it! :wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JKBRYM
12-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Awesome work Patrick!! the lighting is excellent. I would like to see how you do with one of the ref photo's on our next portrait challenge.

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi Digital Portraits,

Welcome to WetCanvas! and welcome to sharing your work. I agree, this painting is stunning and you're obviously a very skilled and talented artist.

My first impression, aside from loving the overall look of the subject and your painting style was that I liked very much the straight Asian hair and the delicate way you've painted the strands. I did, and still do, like the contrast between the strands of hair and the soft, delicate face though I'll make some suggestions below about that part of the painting.

One thing that bothered me a little was the hair that overlaps the white puff thing on the subjects head, her right side. While other hair is basically straight, these few hairs are not straight so they look like the brush wasn't quite under your control in that spot.

Also, after reading some of the other comments and looking at the painting again, I agree that the hair overlapping the right side of the subject's face is a bit too strong, or maybe too many strands together is the cause. If you could make those strands less dense and the brushstrokes just a tiny bit lighter/thinner, I think it would be more in keeping with the wonderfully delicate and soft look of the rest of the painting. Not too much softened, just a tiny bit so those strands don't look so much like digital brushstrokes.

Your light touch is wonderful. The highlights on the hair are beautifully done and the highlight color is perfect.

It's just a great painting, so thanks for working up your courage enough to share it with us.

Please don't be shy a minute longer. Your work is pure pleasure for the rest of us... and very inspiring.

Thank you, sincerely!
Wow sir, that was extremely warm and kind of you to write such a beautifuly detailed and elaborated reply! I can sense you have an amazing eye because all of the flaws have been exposed :) which is a great thing, why? Because even I never realized them, and it gives me things to work on! I was shocked you noticed the hair because consciously, I would stroke and sometimes get carried away and become sloppy, hoping to cover it up with the rest of the strokes. It's people such as yourself that make this community such a nice place to be!

Thank you once again, God Bless

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:16 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hi, You are a very detailed artist, I shy away from that, please post more I welcomed u on another thread by the way, its funny but the thing i have trouble with is the white things in her hair they have no detail at all thats my only problem with it other wise I think its perfect:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you Leo, you are quite right, the eyes have little detail and have lost itself in shadows cast from above it seems. At a point, I felt as though I should have done it intentionally to keep a mysterious view as we can't peer into those windows which are her eyes. Thank you for the welcome!

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Digital (?) it's wonderful. As we all know, we always wonder if we've finished a thing or should have done this or that. Don't worry, there are many interpretations. You'll get plenty of advice here and it's all given in a good and friendly spirit. We look forward to more.
Hello Barry, you are right, there is much left to interpretation especially when it comes to how some may like some parts over others. I do enjoy all the comments and critiques given, because it is not degrading, but of a professional manner. Hope to see you often! Thanks much!

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Don't be shy patrick your work is cool! :cool: Welcome to this forum :wave: and, keep posting don't be a lurker!
Hello Yako, I will definitely be coming here more often, as you can see I think this place is my newest addiction!

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Let me start off by saying Welcome and you definitely don't have anything to be shy about with your work! :wink2: I love everything about this and yes it is with the viewer.....you can't please everyone all the time and some only part of the time so the bottom line is if you like it....go for it! :wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's actually pretty good advice on so many levels, not only art! I think it also reflects in my art, the mood that I feel at the time relating to it :) It's a pleasure to meet you!

Digital Portraits
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Awesome work Patrick!! the lighting is excellent. I would like to see how you do with one of the ref photo's on our next portrait challenge.
Hello JK, I am definitely awaiting the next one, do you happent o know when it would be?

Skinny
12-11-2005, 09:15 PM
WOW!!! and welcome...:wave: This is simply terrific. How on earth did you do that gorgeous straight hair?

maria_khurram
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Patrik, your work is beyond the words to explain........! Welcome here on WC and Digital Art Forum.:wave: Its great to have artists like you here with us. Look forward to your more paintings.

digistyle
12-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to add my kudos on this painting and to welcome you to the Digital Forum. I see a duality in the face and expression. It at once looks like a person and a mask at the same time (someone masking their inner self?).

I'm also diggin' the Chun Li hairdo! Do you have a website?

digistyle

justjean
12-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi and welcome to WC :wave:

Lovely, Lovely, Lovely, but I agree with Bev re the following

Quote:leofaerie17
its funny but the thing i have trouble with is the white things in her hair they have no detail at all thats my only problem with it other wise I think its perfect:clap: :clap: :clap:

jean

jhercilia
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
this is another beautiful work of yours.
I agree with having catch light on her eyes. Also, I think the skin should be darker where it's under the hair in from of her face.

Digital Portraits
12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your feedback! I read every one of them and appreciate the things you had to say as they were very honest. This is perfect in seeing things I didn't see before :)

TxAggieDarlin
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I like this and wow,you did wonderful on that hair...love the highlights you put in there....great work

nhkitty
12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful!! Please post more.I think the critiques from other artists
on works as beautifully done as this are great learning experiences for the
strugglers like me.The only thing that strikes me as being at all off are the
white decorations in her hair as someone else also posted.The portrait has
such detail and they don't- making it seemed unfinished somehow.LOVE IT.

Digital Portraits
12-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I like this and wow,you did wonderful on that hair...love the highlights you put in there....great work
Thank you! By the way, I notice your a texan too. Are you currently at ATM? I'm a texan as well!

Digital Portraits
12-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Absolutely beautiful!! Please post more.I think the critiques from other artists
on works as beautifully done as this are great learning experiences for the
strugglers like me.The only thing that strikes me as being at all off are the
white decorations in her hair as someone else also posted.The portrait has
such detail and they don't- making it seemed unfinished somehow.LOVE IT.
Wow, what a flattering response! And don't worry, we all learn from each other :) I believe you may have some strong points that even I may learn from. I will definitely post some more when I finish them, thank you once again!

PushingPixels
12-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Exceptional, I agree with the highlight for the eye.