PDA

View Full Version : Egg Colander

ponting
12-10-2005, 11:48 PM
My 'quilted tin' tray has worked its way into quite a few of my paintings. It adds a new dimention to the reflected surface. The colander was tricky to portray from this angle as its triangular with two flat sides and one rounded side rather like one third of a pie.

6" x 9" on La Carte
C & C welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2005/34523-Egg-Colander-2.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

momof6
12-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Wonderful!!! Just one question - what is causing the very dramatic and sharp lined shadows on the middle egg (outside of the colander)?

CindyW
12-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Very dark and mysterious!...and then...little spotlights and it lightens the mood up simultaneously! Love it!
Cindy

Merethe T
12-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Oooh, amazing work, again!!! I love the dramatic light/shadows, and as always I'm stunned by your work!! How do you get this smooth look on La Carte?? You gotta have some patience I believe...? ;)

Orchidacea
12-11-2005, 10:28 AM
How totally cool!! Just love all the drama with the shadows/reflections!!

Pinecone Conniff
12-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Very dramatic light!!...I would love to see a close-up of your painting strokes!:)
Annette

artpaint
12-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Just amazing.You are truly a master at pastels
Betty

Bringer
12-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Another masterpiece, as usual.
Now two questions : the foremost egg is in a peculiar position. Is that egg rounder than others or is it leaning against the one in the back ?
Do you think that you should smooth/blurr a bit the edges of the foremost egg to give it a bit more volume ?
I know that it must be really like that, but in my brain I see some flatness.
I'd be thankfull to hear your thoughts.
Another thing: the colander and the eggs are great, but I really like the tiles. You've transmited to us the sense of how convex their surface is around the borders and not tottaly flat.

Regards,

Josť

P.S. enjoyed your paintings in ęMoments in Time IIĽ

ElfeUra
12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I love it!

Rita

Paula Ford
12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Fantastic work!

ponting
12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Hello Tracy...good to see you here asking difficult and interesting questions! LOL I would say that the strange overlapping shadows are caused by the multi-reflective surfaces in combination with the very direct sunlight. It's one of those things that you can leave out to avoid confusing the viewer or be brave leave in simply because you like it and it engages people's curiosity.

Because I'm well known for my realism, I can be brave :D and viewer's such as yourself accept that such a shadow really must have occurred. This is especially forgiving when it's in a large show with many supporting pieces to give it credibility however its great that you should introduce that aspect as depending upon your style...this type of anomaly should in many instances be toned down.

I've included another photo.....this one a little to cluttered to paint as its but it gives you another angle with yet a third overlap in the shaddow and I'll let you decide what you think caused it. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2005/34523-brown-eggs-vert4.jpg

Cindy....again those little lightholes.... I really should have called this one "5 eggs" giving people pause to realize what those sunlit holes are falling on. :p

Merethe...it really isn't patience...the paper just works with me. I do a lot of finger blending to get the smoothness after laying down the basic colours. Have you looked at my WIP called Ornamental Cherries? That shows you the basic steps I follow.

Hi Kim...thanks again Sunshine!! :cat: Annette, you too could check out the above mentiioned WIP and you should be able to see the process.

Betty, Rita and Paula. Thanks to all three of you for not only stopping by but taking the time to comment. :wave:

Josť... I think its the forshortening in the foremost egg that gives it it's odd shape. Since the small end is facing you, you're looking at something that is getting larger as it goes away from you and at the same time from the point of perspective, it is getting smaller as it goes away. As an afterthought this is probably not a good choice of angles from which to paint an egg but an interesting conundrum in any event. As for the flatness you see...I actually added more transition than was in the photo as the shadow was very sharply defined and there is a little more value to the right side of the egg that isn't apparent in this image. More certainly wouldn't have been remiss in this image. Actually this photo now that I look back at it is missing a lot of it's actual warmth. It looks almost monochromatic here.

Hope this has been helpful. Thanks again everyone...Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Bringer
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Diana,

Thanks for the enlighting answer .

Regards,

Josť

E-J
12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I love the unusual choice of reflective surface, and the three-dimensionality of those little holes!

The foremost egg looks as though it's standing on end, almost, but you have already spoken about the foreshortening. I mention this only because you asked for C&C - otherwise frankly I wouldn't have had the cheek to critique something of yours! Fabulous work as always, Dianna.

ponting
12-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Josť...I noticed your comment about Moments in time ll. Where do you live?

Emma-Jane, nothing you say could be termed 'cheeky" :D How can I ever improve if you don't tell me what you see or don't see? :)

Cheers, Dianna

KJSCL
12-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Another spectacular painting. WOW

Kathryn Wilson
12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
This gives me some incentive to continue on with a reflection on a surface that I am struggling with. Sooo many shapes to look at - :)

How do you come up with these simple, but beautiful ideas?

ms.patricia
12-11-2005, 09:18 PM
What a fabulous pastel! I'm such a realist and that painting does my eyes good. you are indeed a master!

bjcpaints
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow - I am stunned!

Bringer
12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Diana,

I saw your paintings on the net not live :rolleyes:
Anyway I'm from Lisbon, Portugal

Kind regards,

Josť

Nancy Leone
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Always exciting to see your work.

momof6
12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow, the shadow looks even stranger in that photo! I like your version better - your egg maintains its round, egglike shape and texture. It's quite distorted in the photo, isn't it?

I like the challenge-the-viewer aspect! I'm taking notes!

Fozbot
12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Dianna, your pastel work astounds me everytime i see it! how do you keep your light values/whites(especially those dots) with all the dark color around them?

HarvestMoon
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
this has made me stand for long moments staring at my own colender.... i had never seen the magic in them before!
Linda

Rose Baggs
12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
It's a jaw dropper...well...everything you paint makes me drool...Thanks for sharing Dianna!!!

ponting
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone. Thanks for stopping by and for the wonderful comments. I see that Billie has a question so here is for you.

Depending on the surroundings, I will either leave the light areas to do last or if these areas are surrounded by a true, unblended colour, Iíll work the opposite way. I always choose the method that works to my advantage. Since Iím working to complete the painting from the upper left hand corner to finish in the opposing one, I donít have to worry about smudging already worked areas.

Thanks again, Dianna

Kathryn Wilson
12-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Diana, I am working with some reds right now and I have a terrible time of the dust migrating to lighter areas. In your paintings that have a true white in them, e.g. the cherries in the colander sitting on red/white stripes, how do you keep it so crisply white? Even one tiny partical of red will turn slightly pink!

ponting
12-14-2005, 10:08 PM
:wave: Hi Kat

I work on a forward-tilting easel which helps immensely to limit stray pastel from every getting on my paper. I erase meticulously before I apply white over any area abutting extremely contagious colours like reds and deep blues and I have to suppose that my working from one corner to the other helps me keep my paper clean.

I use La Carte which I find a little easier to control than Wallis. It has a deeper tooth and the colours donít mix as easily as on the finer grit so possibly this is working to my advantage.

Thatís a tough question because I really donít have a problem. I do know that if you get some staining colours coming up in the white your best off to just stop, erase and begin fresh.

Hope it helps, Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Alessandra Rosi
12-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm speachless... it's wonderfully real... wow!
Alessandra

Fort Meyer
12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi! I haven't been around for a while, but do peek in. I love doing eggs. They are sooo sensual. I love the holes on the egg in the shadows. If you look, they actually show you that it is an egg back there. (On the photo mostly!) It is a wonderful illusion!

ponting
12-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks so much Alessandra :p

Pretty quite around here without you and Julie, Judy. :D

Cheers, Dianna

nootnewt
12-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, I am new here and am not much on realism as it is beyond me in many ways. However, this particular work has captured my eye and my curiosity. Very brave indeed this endeavor. Shadows and reflections are tough on their own but in the same piece. wow.

I do abstract work and tend to view things that way so bare with me on this. For me this is all about the oval/circle shapes and the squares. Curves all over the place at the top positioned atop the rigid lines of the tiled counter. Really wonderful to see. Not to mention the intense contrasting light.

The white eggs surrounded and cradeled in the warm darkness. Even the partially viewed egg looks like it is birthing from the dark shadows.

A motherly piece.

Fort Meyer
12-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks so much Alessandra :p

Pretty quite around here without you and Julie, Judy. :D

Cheers, DiannaI'll have to remember that when you are throwing pastels at us!

ponting
12-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Lori...It takes far too much brain power for me to break a painting down into essential elements. That would be work for me you see where as this is like doodling. Quite brainless once passed the drawing stage. :D I greately admire what you do with apparent ease and appreciate your taking the time to comment here.

What apple Judy?????? :D And what is this about throwing things? Moi????

Cheers, Dianna

skallagrig
12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Diana,

I've just done a google search for pastel artist + ireland and it seems that you are coming to my neck of the woods in the spring :clap: :clap:

The eggs are beautiful as always, and i especially like the colander, i'd love to get to see your work for real maybe i will???

lyn.

ponting
12-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't that be fun Lyn. I'm going to go from Carlow through the south either the week before or after I teach so it would be great sport to meet up with other artists on the way through. Please let me know your whereabouts and where you plan to be about the time I'm there. My hubby is still making up his mind about whether or not he is going but we can always find something to entertain him for a few hours. :D

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

nootnewt
12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Doodle? Mam, you are one heck of a doodler! It is funny, what would wrack my brain (painting realism) is effortless for you.

Here is too keeping it real, cheers!

Mikki Petersen
12-17-2005, 05:49 PM
What an amazing composition! So simple really and yet I could stare at it for hours! I love the charm of the rest spots on the colander and that quilted hot pad brings back memories of childhood. I also love the wonderful red tint to the whole piece. Beautiful work, Dianna!

Mikki

Nicoclaus
12-17-2005, 09:00 PM
It's a jaw dropper...well...everything you paint makes me drool...Thanks for sharing Dianna!!!

I agree, stunning work and amazing detail on the colander:clap: :clap:

ponting
12-18-2005, 01:20 PM
To each his own right Lori? :D

Mikki and Nic........H-m-m-m-m....are you two hanging out together? I'm going to keep an eye on the both of you. :D In any event, thanks so much for stopping by. I've really missed WC.

Cheers, Dianna

Bringer
12-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi again,

Just had this thought.
I've never used an egg colander and never saw anyone use one as far as I remember.
For what I see, is it used to wash eggs ? Because if it is, maybe you don't know that eggs are not supposed to be washed. They should be cleaned but not wash.
I must say tough that only recently I became informed of this and oin the past I've passed them under the tap.

Regards,

Josť

*Deirdre*
12-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Fabulous pastelling Dianna....but then yours always is!:wink2:

Natalie NZ
12-20-2005, 04:29 AM
Don't make me say it again...........you never cease to amaze me!!

ponting
12-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi Josť......I had heard the same thing but I'm sure most facilities wash them no matter what...something for which I, for one, am grateful. :cat:

Deidre and Natalie.......I see the two of you are making the rounds tonight and keeping each other company while your at it. :D Thanks for stopping by and for the cheeky comments.

Cheers, Dianna :wave: