PDA

View Full Version : Spill of Eggs

ponting
12-10-2005, 07:25 PM
This is an 8" x 13" on La Carte. Back to my favourite colour...RED It may be a little lighter than what you see here but not much
C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2005/34523-Spill-of-Eggs-2.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

John B
12-10-2005, 07:35 PM
First Class as always Dianna, you are a magician with red.

John

johndill01
12-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Dianna, glad to see you come back from the acrylics forum. This is great.

John

Orchidacea
12-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Dianna, so good to see you! And another fabulous painting, of course.

ctmobitz
12-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Diana....

AWESOME !!! That's all I can say !

Claude

Donna Theis
12-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Dianna,
You are an amazing artist. Brilliant work. How do you do it?!?! There is a show in Cambridge Ma. going on right now called the RED show.... everything red.
Donna

Bringer
12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Ahhhh...you're the person who knows how to use pastels....yes....I remember you ... :-)

Long time since you presented us with a new painting. It's almost hard to believe that this is a painting.
Did you use only Carb Othelos (or is it Carbothelos ?) or other pencil brands and sticks ?

Regards,

Josť

CindyW
12-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Dianna, those eggs are spectacular! But you know the area that pulls me in? Those little red lightholes to the right! Beautiful bowl.
Cindy

ponting
12-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Thank you all so much

Hi John and John....nice to hear from the both of you again. John 1....I have done your geisha and will pm you a peek. :p

Thank you also Kim and nice to meet you Claude :wave:

Donna........had I known...a show in REDS !!! That would have been something. :cat: LOL Right up my alley.

Josť...nice to see you here....yes, I've been away quite a while. Not much done here with pencils. Mostly just sticks....Unison, Ludwig and NuPastel...maybe some Holdbein. :wave:

Hello Cindy. That is also what draws my attention with egg/colander paintings. I am just about to post another of similar ilk. Watch for it those "lightholes" :D

Thanks so much everyone.........Cheers, Dianna

momof6
12-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Woo hoo! Love, love, love it! Perfect egg shapes and texture! It's all great!

*Marina*
12-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Beautiful. The colour of the eggs is great. The colander is beautiful, lovely colour red.

darlingart
12-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Diana this is supurb! While the eggs are incredible - the holes in the colander both inside and outside are fantastic.

Michelle

Merethe T
12-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Awesome! Everything is just perfect - nuthin' more to say.... :)

Pinecone Conniff
12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Again...I would love to see a close-up!:cool:
Simply elegant!:clap:
Annette

ElfeUra
12-11-2005, 11:09 AM
MORE than perfect - I really thought that is a photo and looked for your painting!!! AWESOME!!!
Greatest respect!
Rita

Paula Ford
12-11-2005, 11:18 AM
:eek: OH my gosh! This is absolutely to-die-for!

ponting
12-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Tracy, Michelle, Marina and Merethe... Thanks guys...this is a strange painting in that the eggs on the left are very gray in the shadow. Usually these areas pick up some form of reflected colour but this was a true gray so I thought it interesting to try for it to see if depicting it as it was could be accomplished without deadening the painting. It seems to have worked so it was a worthwhile experiment.....Have to keep life challenging. :p

Annette....I'v added a close-up just for you....:D

Rita..."Greatest Respect"...two of the nicest words I have every received in a comment. :D

Paula...you say that about my still life paintings and I say the same about your landscapes especially "Showers" LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2005/34523-Spill-of-Eggs-crop.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

omniartz
12-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Hello I'm new to Wet Canvas and do some work with pastels. I am in awe of this wonderful image! It's amazing in quality and realism. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kirk

E-J
12-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Dianna, this is too yummy ... I love everything about it! The way the colander's red reflection blends into the purple shadows, the smoothness of the eggs, the shine on the colander and the way the little hole reflections are "stretched" on the right!

How do you blend to such a smooth finish?

ponting
12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank you so much Kirk and welcome to WC!!:clap:

Emma Jane you are too kind......I smooth with my fingers and on occasion with a size "0" cup round or chisel colour shaper if the area is really tiny. Usually I'm too impatient to grab for anything other than my finger. :D

Cheers, Dianna

KJSCL
12-11-2005, 04:12 PM
WOW, this is utterly fantastic.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Natalie NZ
12-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Dianna...........Incredible..........you NEVER cease to AMAZE me!!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
12-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Is there a favorite red that you work with all the time?

This is amazing work as usual!

scall0way
12-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Wow Dianna, stunning as always. At first I thought I was looking at a reference photo too! I know I would never have the patience to try to paint like you do, but I can admire it when I see it, :D.

I had a picture in a show called "RED" a couple months ago, where every art piece had to embody red in some way. Your picture would have been the star of the show! I love red too.

juneto
12-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Dianna ,
You never fail to Flabberghast!
Although I have never done Pastel , I am always amazed at What you produce and the Consistency of Great quality you achieve .
A Million Clappies and Bows .
June

Pinecone Conniff
12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the close-up Dianna! I am intrigued by the smooth look of your painting...LaCarte is a great paper but I would not have guessed it would work so well for your technique...but it certainly does! I admire your skill & control & awesome sense of light!:clap:
Annette

Rose Baggs
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow...Perfection!!! You are amazing Dianna!

HarvestMoon
12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Dianna- i was searching for this earlier- should be in a museum- perfect!
Linda

Mike_Beeman
12-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Love it!

ponting
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
So sorry to have been away while all of you sent in such gracious accolades. I much prefer to thank everyone individually but since the list is so long, just know that I have smiled and cooed over every comment each of you have made. :p and I appreciate them most sincerely.

In answer to your question Kat....I have many reds and I love them all. The whole works of them are either Terry Ludwig's or Unison and one Stabio pencil.

Thanks again everyone. .. Your comments are most appreciate. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna
:wave:

prettytulips
12-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Donna,

You use my favorite colors and I've always been hesitant to use too much red but you truely are an expert. How did you get comfortable with red, was it on purpose or did you just naturally understand the shade? In oils, I avoid red as it is very hard to master - for me.

Do you give workshops?

Grasshopper
12-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Dianna, I'm breathless.

ponting
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Hello and thanks Grasshopper and Kelli My red 'phase' started with plunking one of my favourite props, a clear red acrylic apple and matching ribbon down in a sliver of sunlight shining across a doily of white cutwork. I got of one photo before the sun left and the resulting painting no only won me second place through the Pastels Society of America but more comments than any other painting I had ever done to date.

I set up another shoot and now have dozens of the same apple, ribbon and doily from various angles. I do simple versions of just the three elements at least once a year and they never fail to sell. While standing about conversing at openings, if one of these is present, the topic invariably turns to it and in listening to the comments, Iíve learned that I am certainly far from alone in my love of red.
It seems to be a very happy colour in most peopleís minds though if you had ever asked me 5 years ago if red was a happy colour, I never would have thought to place it in that category. Iíve since realized that it sits at the very top of that list. People envisions They love the stark contrasts with whites or extreme darksÖ.all the same things I do so it makes it such fun to paint something I like that also appeals to the masses.

I have a whole shelf of red glass and Oriental fabrics and geehaws. Enough to keep me in red paintings for years and so many shades of red pastels that there will never be a shade Iím stuck with reproducing. So in short, I didnít start out to paint reds, only realized my enjoyment of the colour once it had become a prominent part of my pallet.

As for teachingÖ.yes I do. I travel and teach and also hold classes in my studio. I will be teaching in Ireland and England and hopefully in Scotland this spring which Iím very much looking forward to. Teaching is not something I ever set out to do, it just evolved and I really enjoy it.

Thanks ladies for your interest. Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Bill Foehringer
12-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Really Cool Painting Dianna! You sure raise the bar! BillF

Fort Meyer
12-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Dianna ... Do you have a link to that apple in a sliver of light? These eggs are so wonderful. You are a lighting genius you know!

ponting
12-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Thank you so much Bill....I do try LOL :p

Judy.....good to hear from you!!...What apple? :confused:

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

nootnewt
12-17-2005, 03:45 PM
I am digging the eggs!!! Once again, I am compelled to comment.
The red is just so surprising and perfect.

We have the collander in all its warm homeness turning over and letting the eggs go... letting them perhaps roll towards the dangerous edge of the square linear table.

The hard square edge of the table intersecting the inky blackness in the background. And all of this as the background and support of the main subject... the oval/circular eggs and collander.

Brilliant!!

Fort Meyer
12-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Thank you so much Bill....I do try LOL :p

Judy.....good to hear from you!!...What apple? :confused:

Cheers, Dianna :cat:
"started with plunking one of my favourite props, a clear red acrylic apple and matching ribbon down in a sliver of sunlight shining across a doily of white cutwork." This is a quote from above when you were answering Grasshopper and Kelli. About your "red phase?"

Where is Julie by the way?

ponting
12-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Ahaaaa!! Judy...I'm just a little slow today. No...sorry, didn't post it here and I don't believe it is even on my web site any longer.

The scary thing here is that I just went into my files to find for you a copy of one of the other photos I've taken of the infamous red apple and can't find them. I'm terrible for preferring to keep all of my photos on my HD and never backing them up. I just changed computers and did spend days organizing files and burning discs but if I can't find these ones the question remains....what else am I missing? Will let you know if I find them. :D

Jules is frequenting a different web site. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dianna.

Mikki Petersen
12-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, I just viewed the other painting "Colander" and am now at a loss as to what to add for this piece except to say they are both astonishingly well done. I guess I personally like the other piece better only because I like the old, worn colander in that one. Your realism juswt humbles me.

Mikki

Nicoclaus
12-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Damn, sorry, but that was the word that came out of my mouth when I first saw this:) Incredible work!:)

ponting
12-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Mikki and Nic..........I'm the one humbled by your sincere comments and I have to LOL Nic...your comment and reaction to seeing something you like are so 'me' that we must have hung out together in a past life. :D

You must realize that I'm only doing a good job because I'm having a good time doing it. I wouldn't trade my 'job' for any other in the world!

Cheers and have a wonderful day! :wave:
Dianna

avani
12-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow!
Dianna,some day I want to be half as good as you are with pastels!
I looked hard to see if it wasn't really a photograph,and couldn't believe it isn't!!
Can I ask you which pastels have you used?Are they Carbothellos?Everything is so well-defined...especially the light coming thru the holes.Beautiful!
Wish this was posted as a project painting....I'd love to know how you did it!!!
Best wishes,
avani

ponting
12-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Hello Avani...thanks so much for your interest. I'm afraid that my selection of pastels can't really be pinned down so easily. The eggs I remember contained a lot of Holbein colours as I like the texture of them but although the set contains 144 colours, they are overall quite 'pastel' in tone with lots of 'egg' colours and mochas to work with. The colander would have been either Terry Ludwigs or Unison with the addition of a black charcoal pencil to help define edges.

I have done some WIP's if you want to check them out. One is Oriental Cherries. I hope this is of some help. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Meisie
12-25-2005, 01:33 AM
How did I miss this one???? This must be one of my favourites for sure!!! :clap:

Meisie

ThomasStraten
12-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Please Please Please.... why don't u make a Wip for us all???

Tom

prettytulips
12-25-2005, 04:38 PM
You can search for her WIP's when you search threads created by her and then you will see her work as a WIP. I believe there is more than one when I looked.

ponting
12-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Hello again Meisie....we will have to quite meeting like this. Thanks Sunshine for the nice words.

And thanks to you also Tom for stopping with your welcome comments http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2005/34523-0_blush_2.gif and a big thanks to you Kelly both for checking out my other work and for directions here on how to find it. I will add a link to Ornamental Cherries for anyone interested. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293512

Cheers and have a wonderful day.......Dianna :cat: