View Full Version : need everybody

sunny8886
12-10-2005, 05:49 PM
:wave: hi~~~!
I am new here.
I am a 10th grade high school student.
I wanna do smth about graphic design (ads design)in the future.:rolleyes:
but don't really have a clue.
i am going to graduate early,so there are not much time left.
hope someone could give me ideas about the best way to apply a good art school.:confused:
thank u very much~!:angel:

timelady
12-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Welcome Sunny - I'd recommend you check out the 'Student's Dorm' forum, where you'll find other young (and not so young!) artists in art school or talking about art school. I'm sure you could ask there and get some good advice. :)

Tina.

sunny8886
12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
THANX A LOT 4 UR HELP~!
what kind of SAT score do i need? since now the total is 2400
:cat:
uh ~~!the schools i wanna apply:RISD,parsons,sva,the school of the art institued of chicago.
please give me some information.:p

Keith Russell
12-13-2005, 02:25 AM
THANX A LOT 4 UR HELP~!
what kind of SAT score do i need? since now the total is 2400
:cat:
uh ~~!the schools i wanna apply:RISD,parsons,sva,the school of the art institued of chicago.

Those are the toughest schools out there. You're work will have to be truly superiour, and it's going to cost a fortune, unless your work is the superiour of the superiour. (Even then, I'm not sure these schools give out many scholarships; with their reputations, they don't need to.)

Get in touch with the admissions depts at these schools, find out what you need in your portfolio (and the format your port should be in) to apply as a graphic design major.

If you can, it's not a bad idea to actually visit the school. Get in touch with them first, let them know you're coming, and make appointments to meet with the admissions counselors, advisors, dept. heads, student life, that sort of thing.

And, best of luck.

You should also look into some other schools that don't have the rep with the general public that the top schools have, but which are still recognzied as very good schools by folks actually in the industry.

These will offer scholarships, and cost less, too.

Keith.

talkingbanana
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Also, check into the public schools in your state. Here in North Carolina, there are at least two very strong NASAD accredited schools of art/design within public universities which have graphic design programs: East Carolina University (where I'm currently a freshman art ed major) and North Carolina State University.

There are a lot of public universities with really good art programs, and they'll save you a ton of money; many of them are recognized as among the best by those in the industry, although the general public probably doesn't think of them. The biggest benefit of a public university is that you'll be exposed to other majors - both within the field of art and outside it - and if you ever want to change your major or add a double major or a minor, you'll have the opportunity to do so.

They're worth checking out, to have a backup plan if nothing else.

kinjutsu
12-17-2005, 01:27 AM
If you want to major in graphic design you have tons of options since it's a major lots of colleges do have. For example here in Virginia VCU has the #4 ranked graphic design program in the country and is a public state school.
As for SAT scores it really depends on the school, I'd say take a look on http://www.collegeboard.com/. It lists all that kind of information.