PDA

View Full Version : Brennans backwith a question

justjean
12-08-2005, 02:41 AM
which one looks the best :) - one has a layer with a brush I made in PSP7 and the other is plain . Painted in Painter 9

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/36920-brennanbrush.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/36920-brennanplain.jpg

Jin
12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Jean,

I like the left version best. The cute little guy looks like he's really cold with his skin slightly blue and considering he's all bundled up and I assume at a game, he probably is really cold. Next thing we know, his nose will be running. ;)

Really, I do like the left version best. It's much more believable and interesting. I just want to give this little kid a big warm hug.

One thing caught my eye right away that you might want to fix:

Notice the Maple Leaf is tilted so the right leaf segment tip is slightly higher than the left leaf segment tip? The angle is about 4.5 degrees.

If you rotate the text to 4.5 degrees, then nudge it to the left so "Leafs" is centered above the leaf stem, it will look like the text really is lying on that leaf, on the same plane as the leaf.

Using Painter 8 or Painter IX, for instance, though you could do something similar in other programs:

1. Type the text at the appropriate size for your image.

2. In the Text palette, click the Align Center icon in the upper right corner of the palette.

3. Use the Layer Adjuster tool to move the text over the leaf or if you find it hard to select the text with the Layer Adjuster tool, just use the up, down, left, and right arrow keys instead.

4. With the Text Layer highlighted in the Layers list, in the Layers palette menu, choose Convert Text to Shapes. Now the Text is a Group of Text Shapes that you can scale up or down without affecting image quality.

5. With the Text Shapes Group hightlighted in the Layers list, use Effects > Orientation > Rotate and type 4.5, then click the OK button.

6. If you need to fine tune positioning of the text, again use the up, down, left, and right arrow keys on your keyboard.

7. Before saving your image, make sure the Impasto icon (blue star icon) in the upper right corner of the image window is turned off (Impasto is disabled). When it's turned off, the icon will be flat. The reason is that if you save the image with Impasto enabled, your text will have an ugly "3D" look.

barryt
12-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Well I'm not sure about left and right Jean, mine are top and bottom! I like the top one, the texture seems to make it easier to look at somehow, and it also looks sharper. Keen eyed Jinny as usual has spotted a crucial point. They're both lovely, the expression is great.

justjean
12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Jin and Barry ,the hat thingy is noted :)

Skinny
12-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I like the bottom one best. For some reason, I find the texture a bit distracting while my eye wants to concentrate on the boy's expression....Oh...I see what's bothering me! ...you've applied the texture to his face as well as to the fabric, and it's dulled the face. Could you eliminate it just on the face?

TxAggieDarlin
12-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I love them both...........but if I HAD to pick, I think I like the top with the texture........it gives it a great "painterly" canvasy...thing......You really did fantastic on this!

JCoop
12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Jean, I like them both for different reasons. The problem I have with the second one is that you've painted the boy, yet you've "airbrushed" the background. It seems sort of a mis-match to me.

The texture affect in the first one minimizes the mis-match to a degree, making it feel more co-hesive as a painting.

Nice work, by the way.:)

waheednasir
12-08-2005, 11:23 AM
hello jean...nicely painted. i like both of them. actually, i like the textured look of the boy and his clothes but not for the background, for me its good to use texture for particular reasons, not just for the whole image. this is my personal thinking...:).
the second one is good as well. its gives a smooth painterly feel, the softness.

very well done...:). if u can, just make his left cheek's edge (our right) smooth, just the edge, diffuse it a bit. at the moment its giving a cut out effect. only if u agree. all other parts look wonderful.

:wave:.

nancy_ellen56
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Jean, I like the texture effect of the first one but only for the clothing...i like the look of the boys skin in the second one...In my opinion if you could take the texture out of the back ground on the first one, just leave it on the clothing, and give the skin the look of the second one...that would really look nice...just my opinion though...They are both good...

Chiers
12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
I like parts of both the best.....lol.....no help? I don't like the overall texture like that, it kind of screams digital to me. Yet, I do think the one without the texture could use some. I think also the color of the background isn't right for the lad. A cool light blue mixed with blue grey hues could really set him off.
The writing on the leaf does not bother me, but I do think the leaf itself pops a bit too much and could be toned down. Not quite so white. And one more thing, the black lineing on his eyes seems to dark for a lil boy.

Eek...more than you asked for? Feel free to ignore! He looks fine the way he is and my, what a handsome lil guy at that!

leofaerie17
12-08-2005, 05:43 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Jean hi, well if you had posted them each on their own i would love them both but seein them together i like the bottom untextured one:clap: :clap:

justjean
12-08-2005, 09:19 PM
thanks for peeking in Kirsten and yep I could do that LOL

Aggie thanks that is what I was trying to do :)

thanks Joel, the b/g is not airbrushed thats the bristle but I softened it to much LOL

will do that Waheed :) thanks

Nancy_Ellen thanks for your input it's appreciated :)

thanks Sherry it's all noted :D

Ok Bev thanks :wave:

justjean
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
well I had merged him so I have done as much as I could and as you see I'm not much on b/g's :) (it was done with a brush I made when fooling around ) so there was a bit of cut and paste going on here LOL, thanks again for all the comments and suggestions .and maybe someday in the far far future I will be able to do away with the outlines dreamer that I am
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/36920-brennanredo.jpg

nancy_ellen56
12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I really like this one

Yako
12-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Hmmm....i like the top one with textures...I would darken slightly the maple leaf (well, i can be wrong)

LadyAlba
12-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I love it Jean ;o) !!!!

justjean
12-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks Nancy Ellen, Yako and Marge. He is a fun one to paint :)

jageo
12-09-2005, 10:21 PM
I liked the textured one over the non-textured as it gave me a 'frosty' feel to it. I agree that the text in the maple leaf is a bit off, and the leaf itself is a too brilliant. The textured one also has some more depth to his eyes, but that very well could just be my screen. Your update is an improvement over the textured one - it's frosty AND snowy. Nice job!
Really super facial modelling and skin tones.

JA