PDA

View Full Version : Floorcloth tips?

Leigh
01-29-2002, 12:52 PM
We'll be putting in a hardwood floor in our entry and dining area. 3 small kids so I thought I would attempt a floor cloth to protect the floor for a while (Until they grow up!).

I have a book on the subject but I'm looking for insight if any one has any tips. I know, start small. However, the floor is coming and the table is big so I'm going in with 2 feet! (I will however try some of the techniques on a smaller version...)

Specifically, I'm looking for a good canvas supplier. Again, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sassybird
01-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Faye, with whatever fibers you end up using for your piece please consider putting a non-skid backing on the piece. With small children you won't have to worry about them running, hitting the rug, and having their feet go out from under them. Cracked heads are not pleasant for the child or mom:(

It depends on what kind of rug you intend to do for the type of canvas to buy. Do you want a loose, or tight weave? Will you be hooking a shag type rug, or a tighter nap? There are several sources for fibers. Here are a few.

http://www.moondancecolor.com/
http://www.texturatrading.com/
http://www.justpatterns.com/
http://www.weavermodels.co.uk/linkspage.htm
http://www.earthfoot.org/mercados/origins.html

These ought to get you what you are looking for if not on the actual sites, but through links provided.

msue
01-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Ssh, don't tell anyone but I've made four floor cloths all out of fabric from Wal-Mart. Only one has actually made it to the floor. My first was turned into a banner for church at the request of the minister. The second is rolled up in a closet and has been on the ground twice so I don't know how well it will wear. The third was turned into another banner for church (it is developing some problems because I mixed two different types of latex paint to achieve the color I wanted), the fourth is actually on the floor in my entry way and is walked on daily. The only problem I've had is from the doors dragging across the edge and causing it to curl. I do have a foam grip pad under the cloth.

Now back to the fabric. The one that made it to the floor is made from lightweight (might contribute to the curling problem) canvas purchased from the fabric department at Wal-Mart.

All my floor cloths are trial and error made from recalling (from memory only) things I'd seen on TV programs about decorating.

Here is the location of a picture of the floorcloth resting in the closet. It is right here in this forum

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4229

Leigh
01-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Woops, guess that I should have said a "painted" floorcloth on canvas.

This is for under the dinner table. I'm talking floor protection (for falling food and sliding chairs) and ease of clean up as well as not showing all that flood that has fallen. (Trust me, with 3 kids under the age of 5, sometimes it looks like an entire meal is on the floor under the table!)

Thanks for you your suggestions and suppliers. Rug hooking is on my list of things I want to try! Hmmm...

Faye.

msue
01-30-2002, 09:33 AM
One more canvas tip. A roll of "artist" canvas about 5' wide and 6 yards (or maybe it's more) will run you about $95.

Leaflin
01-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi Faye
Welcome to WetCanvas :)

I have never done a floorcloth but it is on my to do list when I find my "round toit" :)

I went onto www.hgtv.com
typed in 'floorcloths' on their search and came up with all sorts of things.

I tried to put a link to their search but it didn't go anywhere:(
So just go to www.hgtv.com and type in floorcloths :)

joemajury
01-30-2002, 06:24 PM
Sounds like you could supply Faye with Floorcloth no2, as its just lying about your closet. :D

Joe

weingartnerjoan
01-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Read as many books as you can find about floor cloths.

For size, call a carpeting store and tell them the size of your table and the size of the room. They can tell what the standard is for a rug in those configurations.

For large size canvas, see a Dick Blick catalog. They have a web site too. I do not know where you live, but an art store near a university usually sells canvas too. It comes pre-primed with gesso or without. If you get ungessoed, gesso both sides. Books say a lot about sewing the hem, but I glue the hem with some very strong fabric glue. The non-skid backing that the other writer suggested is very important. It is also in the Dick Blick catalog. If you paint your design, stay in one medium, either acrylics or oils, not mixed. That is because you have to varnish the final look with several coats of varnish, either water based (acrylics) or other (oils.) Good luck. Have fun.

Leigh
01-31-2002, 10:45 AM
I knew that I could count on you all!! Thanks so much for all your advice, hints, website, example and of course, moral support.

(Now, if you all could just hang out in the bathroom with me while I tile the shower---that's where I REALLY need some moral support!)

Thanks, Faye.

jolie
04-22-2002, 04:54 PM
i see this is an old thread, but thought those interested in the subject might like a little more info. not sure where i saw this idea, but ages ago on tv someone made a floor cloth using linoleum. you can get end cuts from flooring dealers, paint on the back side, or scuff up the top side so there is a good key, and paint on it. it's heavyish, so an ideal surface for a rug. i haven't tried it myself, but sounds like a great, cheap alternative.

jolie

PatB
04-22-2002, 06:26 PM
I heard that the canvas drop clothes used by painters was the cheapest way to go. Of course several coats of primer! I checked them out once, and thought they were quite thick and durable looking. Wanted to try, but the only size they had in stock at the time was too big. I was looking for an 8 by 10. It would not hurt to look at a hardware store. Make sure it is canvas. You might just put it on the floor, and let the stains come as they may! Children are very artistic!
:D
PatB