PDA

View Full Version : suggestions??

sketch-a-holic
12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Hmm... well, I havent ever done any actual painting in photoshop for print, this is my first try at a complete piece for a holiday card. Its for a print shop they wanted something for chirstmas cards and so I said i would give it a shot... er... well this is what I have so far and I need some major help. Anyone have any suggestions, how about tips on drawing trees?

leofaerie17
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hi and what a great start:clap: :clap: but im ROTFLMAO at you quote its precious, just open a blank canvas an try some trees but what about just a christmas tree in the foreground, just a thought, good luck and lets see the finished piece:wink2:

jhercilia
12-06-2005, 05:54 PM
To make trees, just mass in the local color shapes, then add other colors to simulate its texture and add snow too to the branches. The card looks great so far and it surely makes a great Christmas card. Try to add some purples to the snow on the mountains where in shadow and remember the the most distant mountain shouldn't be as detailed as the ones in fron of it.

Smokin
12-06-2005, 05:59 PM
A friend gave me tree brushes that might work perfectly for this. it can essentially be used as a stamp if you are interested.

Smokin
12-06-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2005/65236-Tree_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2005/65236-Tree2.jpg

jhercilia
12-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Those trees are great, Smokin.
Are you allow to make available the brushes you just mentioned. I would like to give them a try.

Smokin
12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
to be honest I dont know about the whole being allowed thing. SOOOOO many brushes are free and floating on the web, so I just dont know the source of these.

sketch-a-holic
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks, here is what I have now... a little different than I had thought, but they wanted a snowman in there, I think I will add a corny chirstmas border and happy holidays or something like that, but ... hurray, today is almost over and I get to go home soon!!!

oh, I am still working on the snowman and anchoring it to the ground as well as the foreground (aka large white chunk) oh, and I am going to change the size of the tree and snowman, they are too close to the same size. ;)

This doesnt need to be anything fancy and I could have just threw some jpgs in a real photo and they would be happy, but I had no work to do and so I would have been just siting here otherwise, so I thought I would try it out. I like it, but real paints still come easyer to me... practice practice :D oh, and thanks for the trees, I saved those for future use.

i thought my quote was rather hillarious, (i am glad to know someone else thinks its funny too!) I dont know where it came from though.... hmm..

jhercilia
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
I think it would be good if you add a smaller (distant) tree behind the one you have there as to break the one to one thing with the snowman (one tree, one snowman). The shadow at the botton of the tree should be darker where it meets the tree trunk. Right now it has a pasted look.

jhercilia
12-07-2005, 12:30 AM
to be honest I dont know about the whole being allowed thing. SOOOOO many brushes are free and floating on the web, so I just dont know the source of these.
The reason I mentioned "if allowed" was because you mentioned that a friend of yours gave them to you. I thought he/she created them and that maybe you needed to ask him/her first.

Elainepsq
12-07-2005, 04:16 AM
You are definitely on the right track and doing a fine job. May I suggest though, that you make either the tree or the snowman larger. I'm guessing the tree, larger. Compositionally, one should be the center of interest, now my eye is looking at both, trying to decide which is the focal point.
Other than that, it is truly a fine piece!

barryt
12-07-2005, 05:43 AM
I think it's missing a glow worm :)

Yako
12-07-2005, 06:14 AM
I love the frst version you did. :clap: :clap: I like the feathery look of the clouds and the delicate colors of the snow. (By the way, can you explain how you did these clouds?) I would have used this as a start point, added some pines ,muted not too detailed, in a green with slight notes of pale blue so they won't compete with the delicate colors of the snow and sky and perhaps would have painted a distant lit cabain. I would have changed the shape of the moon with one with a "C" shape. Well, it's something of personal taste.

The last version is nice but i feel it needs more work regards composition, i would do what janet said about the trees, do some in perspective :)

TxAggieDarlin
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
I wish I was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
'Cos how can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

MADE MY DAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Waiting to see an update when you change sizes...Love the sun, clouds and snow....just don't like the split in the middle of snowman and tree. I think it will be better when you give update......

You have lots of talent....want to see some more :)

sketch-a-holic
12-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Well, I havent had time to work on it today, a job actually came in, one of my least favorite monthy newsletters (can you believe this guy still uses a typewriter to type an entire 16 page newsletter!!! So lucky me gets to type the whole thing up and format it for print...) Anyway, I would be glad to share how I did the clouds.

First I used the polygonal lasso tool (in photoshop cs2) to make the general shape of the cloud (very general no curves at all) Then I painted them white. I then took the smudge tool at about 40% (used a few different random brushes all stock nothing special) and smudged them into a shape I liked. I think I just used a soft round brush for the initial smudging, then got a bigger brush and smuged some more (you get the point, I smudged them alot.. hehe) then I used the eracer at a very low opacity to show the background through the cloud in some spots and used the gaussan blur a little and then when I was finished I set the layer opacity to my liking so they werent just bright white. If you have any more questions (my explaining skills are lacking, sorry) I would be glad to help (as the clouds are the only thing I really like about this piece) I think after I make the corny christmas card I am going to go back and finish that first version to my liking. Anyway, thanks for the help and I may just add that glowworm to the finished piece. ;)

sketch-a-holic
12-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, here it is the final for the christmas card. It actually looks decent printed on the big fancy epson printer. I hope you like it. =) It is actually really small... its about 5x4 so if I decide to change (no snowman or cartoony tree) I will just start over... I am used to illustrator lately so I am not usually having an issue with size.

jageo
12-08-2005, 09:53 PM
When i saw the first attachment I was drawn to the simplicity. I thought all it needed was a blush or two of some other colours, be it on the mountain or the snow.
JA

justjean
12-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I really like this card , it has such a happy feel to it I think if you plumped the clouds up a bit it would be perfect :)

jhercilia
12-08-2005, 11:50 PM
I love this last update. Very, very good.

*~KABOOM!
12-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Hi SAH!,
You have done an excellent job here!
Larry