PDA

View Full Version : Help! Questions re supports & supplies

walden
01-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Canvas sold in rolls: is it sold primed side inside, or primed side out? I'm starting to make a bunch of panels, and I'm pretty sure it's primed inside, but I want to be CERTAIN.

Student vs. Artist grade oil paints: what are the considerations about deciding when to upgrade? It was easy with watercolor, when I couldn't get even washes, rich colors, etc. with the student grade, so fairly early on I switched and the difference was huge. But so far, I'm satisfied with student grade oils. Should I switch before starting to sell my work, or wait until it starts to sell regularly (which could be six months, or could be 5 years)? I know the artist grade is more permanent, but, realistically, my work isn't going to hang on museum walls any day soon. Is the variability in permanence between decades and centuries, or between years and centuries? Taking into account the price differential between work sold by beginners as opposed to that sold by established professionals, is there an ethical issue involved in choice of paint (for the artist starting out), or is it more a question of the workability of the paint for the artist?

I would really like to hear a range of opinions on this-- thanks in advance for the input!

Scott Methvin
01-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Canvas usually is rolled up with the primed side in and unprimed out. (To protect the painting surface, I reckon.) If you ever have to roll a finished painted canvas, it should be the opposite way and on a large cylinder-not tight.

Student grade paint is not as expensive as the good stuff for a reason. It is loaded with fillers, extenders and blends. the pigments are also not used in the same amounts. They are meant to be used in "practice" sketches and for temporary use.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

G.L. Hoff
01-29-2002, 05:12 PM
[i]Student vs. Artist grade oil paints: what are the considerations about deciding when to upgrade? [/B]

I had a similar experience to yours with student grade watercolors. The same sorts of considerations apply to using higher grade oil paint. An analogy: years ago when I started skiing, I asked my instructor why I had to buy really expensive boots. He said simply that I would ski better, quicker, with the best quality equipment. Duh. In retrospect, I ought to have known that.

It's less the permanence of the paint than it is being able to achieve the results (color, paint handling, mixability, intense chroma, etc, etc) you want. So my motto is "use the highest quality materials you can afford."

walden
01-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the input, folks.