PDA

View Full Version : Source for aluminum frames for deep canvas?

gunzorro
12-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Anyone know a good, inexpensive source for aluminum framing for gallery wrap canvas, 1.5" to 2.5" deep stretchers? I am thinking of the type that the back of the stretcher bar is fastened to the frame -- a floater type.
I've got some large canvases that I would like to frame without mortgaging the house! Thanks, Jim

brrice
12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
I was looking at Home Depo today at different mouldings and other alternatives to the commercial mouldings avalible for floater frames. I found 2" aluminum angle pieces 3 ft long . But the price is real high for this type of thing- over $20.each (canadian). I think I have ruled out using aluminum unless I can find another sourse. I looked at all sorts of materials. I looked in the house siding area, the plumbing area the electrical areas. I was thinking there may be some product out there that is not meant for framing but could be used by the artist in a creative way. I have a few paintings that I will need a suitable floater frame for. I may just make them out of pine wood and paint them. Wood may be your best solution but I believe you are concerned about weight for the large canvases. Good luck!