PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Dec 5 Thru 11

K Taylor-Green
12-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Good morning everyone! Welcome to our weekly chat thread, where we discuss our lives, children, family, jobs, and pets.

Everything here has a coating of ice. It would be beautiful if the sun would come out, but alas, it is very overcast. We were supposed to get three inches of snow over this, but all we got was ice. This happened on Saturday evening. Jess was in Chillicothe helping his brother work on a tractor. It took him an hour and a half to get home. It is usually a forty minute trip.

Yesterday afternoon, after the roads were cleared, we went to buy Christmas lights for the 16 foot spruce tree in our yard. While we were in town, we decided to eat at the Mexican place. Hey Kat, they have a new menu. It's great! I highly reccomend the grilled chicken breast covered with grilled shrimp with onions and peppers.
Jess put the the lights up using a very long board while standing on the tailgate of his pickup! The tree looks beautiful. We put up some other outdoor decorations, then built a fire in the fireplace, and relaxed with a well earned glass of wine. All in all a nice weekend despite the malice of Mother Nature!

HarvestMoon
12-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I hope everyone has a great week- I had a funny picture to share- but the image uploader seems to be kaput- so will try later.

Khadres
12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Well, we're going to have a real winter this year, looks like! The same 8" or so of snow that fell over Sat/Sun is still out there (snow usually falls and melts within hours here) and the hi Weds. is supposed to only be 12 degrees after MORE snow. Thank heavens Gary took care of the daily errand downtown for me before he went to work...I don't even want to think about driving in that stuff half awake! Right now, during the "heat" of the day (28F) the wind is blowing the snow into drifts and making shrieking noises.

Anyway, last night when I finally made it into the VPON paintout I saw Debbie Cusick's parting message concerning a fall her father had taken and that she was leaving for the hospital to be with him. Has anyone heard anything further on that? I hope all is well back there. Her Dad sounds like such a sweet man and I'd hate to think of him wracked up for the holidays!

As far as holiday decorations go, we are wayyyyyy behind around here. With the weather the way it is and my petty health problems, we're slow to ho ho ho this year. Luckily, we don't have anything big on tap....so should be relatively quiet and peaceful. Be that as it may, I do enjoy hearing about the festivities planned by the rest of you guys, so keep 'em coming!

HarvestMoon
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
here is a picture of our Dane/Lab mix, who was jumping on the trampoline with my daughter (he also likes to jump by himself, but is hard to get a picture of that since he comes charging up to see you if he spots you). If the pic downloader works that is.... and my husband wants a giant frosty the snowman for the roof after seeing 'Christmas with the Cranks'- I can't find one anywhere- and we sure don't have any snow to do it in! It is nearly 42 degress outside, and :eek: I finally turned off the air conditioner and switched it to heat- would not get out of bed where most of you guys live..... PS- Jerry's has Unisons on sale for $2.49.... and the picture attachment (none of them) are working...

khourianya
12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Here - Linda - this should work
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/57497-buddy-jumping-small.jpg

I just copied the link out of the PM you sent me. Still makes me giggle to see it :)

khourianya
12-05-2005, 02:44 PM
My house is all decorated for Christmas now (on the inside anyway - it's far too coldout there to think about outside decorations at the moment) I'll try to post a photo later on for you all.

My parents have decided that they are going to come for Christmas so that make 10 now, I think. We willhave a very fullhouse this year! :)

It is still bloody cold here. I just want to hibernate at the moment. We had the dog trainer in to work with Abner again yesterday. Our neighbours informed me on Friday that he has recently started to bark when we leave (after having been quiet for months) so we thought we should get it taken care of right away. I hope the modifications we have made will do the trick....

PeggyB
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Linda I'm with you - no snow is a good thing! Unfortunately, it did snow here last Thursday. If this was Colorado or anywhere other than the greater Seattle area, the amount of snow that fell would be laughable (some places got as much as 2" :rolleyes: ). However, here in the NorthWET it is a big problem because too many people have no idea how to drive in it. SUV drivers are the worst because they seem to think they can drive as usual not realizing how slick it is under the snow. Nine times out of ten they are the vehicles in a ditch! It's a good thing my husband learned to drive in Colorado. He was on a business trip and his plane didn't get in until very late. He has a Corvette, and managed to get home in a round about way (partly because the direct way was closed because - ahem - an SUV was blocking the road so the police closed it). There's still rements of snow today, & it is cold (high 30s). I want to hibernate, but need to get on with sewing Roman shades for the family room windows. Once that's done I can start the real decorating.

I was asked to teach oil pastel in a new afterschool arts program. They are trying to emulate a highly successful program at the school where I teach beading to 3 - 6 graders. Unfortunately, I think they are trying too much too fast as they wanted this class to be for the 1 - 3 graders. I had reservations after talking to the coordinator, but thought I'd call my sis who has the art ed degree and taught a highly successful program for K - 6 graders until the district decided to put the money elsewhere. Then she had her own school for several years before moving south. In a nutshell, my gut reaction was pretty much correct. In visual arts, that age of student needs drawing first, and the combination of ages isn't ideal either. Yes, I could do a "colorbook" class by providing pre-printed subjects, but I don't think that encourages creativity or learning the medium. I also had my reservations about just how organized it will be. The PTO gave the coordinator the go ahead last Wednesday, and told her she had to have all instructors on board with course descriptions by today so she can print a handout for the students to take home tomorrow! They will fill the classes before the school session breaks for the holidays and classes to begin on Jan 10 (one week after school is back in session). I got caught before with a school trying to do this too fast, and ended up buying supplies they didn't reimburse me for when the whole thing fell through at the last minute (3 days before the first class was to begin!) Fortunately, my classes that have been on going for some time now were able to use them, but not until a whole school year later!

Last week I got my copy of the Northlight book that has my work in it. The Ultimate Guide to Painting from Photographs, 40 step by step projects. It is a well done rewrite in soft cover of several other hard cover books they published in the past on this subject. The color reproduction is a bit off, but I'm not complaining as one more publication looks good on the cv! Donna Aldridge's DVD is also available this month, and I have one of my paintings on that too so it's been a good year for publications for me. :)

I hope everyone has a good week.

Peggy

PeggyB
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
PS - Linda I love the picture of your daughter and dog!

HarvestMoon
12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Peggy- that sounds pretty young- but if you have a local Waldorff school, they start them on art very young, and you should see what they do by middle school- and some of the high school work is completely amazing!!! There is one in Austin near me actually if you don't have one there!

Cori- thanks for posting the picture! He still can't catch a frisby.... but then neither can I !! I have a Dec. birthday- so it is against the 'house rules' to decorate the house before my birthday! I refuse to have a red and green poinsetta cake! (well, ok, so I never met a cake I wouldn't eat)...... Our neighbors make subtle hints about the dogs barking, but goats will roam, dogs will bark....cats will spit up hairballs

khourianya
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
lol true enough. I am glad she told us though, we live in a duplex so sharing a wall means we need to respect our neighbours. If they wanted a dog, they would get one :) So it is the least we can do to keep ours quiet. I just hope the new measures we have in place will work. We had broken him of the barking when we left months ago so it is weird to have it suddenly return.

PeggyB
12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Linda - I didn't mean to imply that young children shouldn't be exposed to visual arts, but rather that there is an order in which they should be exposed so they can have a progression of successes. It sounds at though your school has that order. We have a private art teacher in our area that used to teach out of the class room the gallery provided (until the gallery closed). It is a method known as "Monart", and that teacher was/is very successful in that method. She has classes of no more than 12 students at a time, and many home schooled children are her students. Most people were amazed at the art my sister's students produced at the end of year show that was held in her former school.

"Our neighbors make subtle hints about the dogs barking, but goats will roam, dogs will bark....cats will spit up hairballs" ..............................

and in our area, coyotes will howl, bears and racoons will get into garbage cans in the middle of the night thus causing the inside dogs to bark! I don't mind the barking dogs during the day, but the neighbor who allows his dogs & cats to roam and do their business in other people's yards isn't appreciated in this neighborhood. Our larger concern is that we live near a very busy road, and his cats keep "disappearing". Even their children are being taught that, "oh well we can get another one".

Peggy

Deborah Secor
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Jess put the the lights up using a very long board while standing on the tailgate of his pickup! The tree looks beautiful.

Pictures, Kate--we want Christmas card photos we can paint from!... Sounds gorgeous, especially iced up. I bet that is spectacular at night.

Please, please send snow this way! Just point towards New Mexico and blow hard. It should reach us. :rolleyes: We need it so badly. It's cold enough but the Coloradans (and those in Seattle, I guess!) are just hogging all the moisture we need for snow...

We were at the church craft fair for a couple of days selling my husband's hand made wooden spoons, which is why I was so scarce. What with that and volunteering answering phones after the re-runs of Billy Graham Crusades for the last couple of nights I'm bushed. We had a veeeeery long day on Saturday. Walked in the door of the fair at 8AM and out the door of the phone bank at 10:45PM, never having left the church grounds. Too long.... but fun. The fair was quite successful for us. We haven't done shows with the spoons much, but they sure sell well at Christmas! Great gifts for anyone who cooks. Dan sold the exotic woods at the same price as the maple, walnut and cherry ones, which helped sell them, too.

Decorating comes after the 15th for me! I get fed up with all the frou-frou too quickly. Today I'm slightly sprucing the house--health and safety only--then resting by the fire. A friend GAVE me a wonderful selection of pastels so I hope to paint sometime soon, but today I rest.

Deborah

PeggyB
12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Deborah - I still have the spoons I bought when I visited you all those years ago. Just thought I'd let everyone know - Deborah's husband makes the best wooden spoons I've ever used! Absolutely the best, and it doesn't surprise me that they sell well at the Christmas bazaar. I bet you get lots of return customers. Oh, and you should see the incredible boxes he makes! They are works of art all by themselves.

Peggy

PS - Deborah, I'm blowing in a southernly direction. I surely hope you get the snow and moisture you need! :D

Khadres
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Don't get me wrong...we NEED every drop of precip we can get...I just wish it wasn't quite so "hard"! Darn cooooollllld wind is blowing again...nothing like a gust of it blasting through the doggie door now and then to keep you awake!

HarvestMoon
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Linda - I didn't mean to imply that young children shouldn't be exposed to visual arts, but rather that there is an order in which they should be exposed so they can have a progression of successes. It sounds at though your school has that order.

"Our neighbors make subtle hints about the dogs barking, but goats will roam, dogs will bark....cats will spit up hairballs" ..............................

but the neighbor who allows his dogs & cats to roam and do their business in other people's yards isn't appreciated in this neighborhood. Our larger concern is that we live near a very busy road, and his cats keep "disappearing". Even their children are being taught that, "oh well we can get another one".

Peggy

Hi Peggy- we went to Waldorff one year, but for many reasons it did not work out. I thought you might be interested, because they have very unusual and visual methods of teaching.

I was being sarcastic about the dog barking thing- that and car alarms are horribly annoying- esp. in the city. A totally barkless dog is rare though, which was my point. Our own dogs rarely bark, and when they do (even for a racoon) we put an immediate stop to it. The two large outside dogs are right at our bedroom window, in a very large, very secure fence, but they get nowhere near our neighbors house- ever. They do get excited sometimes and bark- as do our neighbors dogs.... but the barking in this neighborhood is largly our neighbor's dogs raising a rucus when I walk our 2 indoor dogs (hence the comments- my walking our dogs up our driveway which was here many years before they were, causes her dogs to bark), or the dog kennel at the end of the road. Our neighbors allow their dogs to get into the street, which has become over the years, very busy, and we put them back in their yard- along with their goats. Ours are securely fenced. We intentionally built on the very back of 13 acres so that our cats have all lived to be multiple digits- and none have ever been hit by a car. They do like to go in and out, they have a big treehouse (no nails in the tree either) right outside the door, for watching what is going on- we have a problem with people dumping their dogs and cats here, un-neutered or spayed, and we have found homes for them or kept them and paid vet bills to the max to do so. We even have a 12 year old pet pig- and keep her securely fenced, had her spayed, yet she still squeeles a bit when her dinner is not exactly on time.

khourianya
12-06-2005, 01:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2005/47843-xmastree05.jpg

Thought I would show off my tree to you all! :)

After Abner's second session with the trainer yesterday, he is being so good. I am quite blissfull about the whole thing :)

Khadres
12-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Nice tree, Cori! What do those people do to the poor dog to get such instant results??? Threaten him with a Xmas stocking fulla rocks?

meowmeow
12-06-2005, 08:21 AM
That picture of the trampolline dog is a riot! And a nice tree, Cori!
It sounds as though everyone is busy with nice stuff this week! Whew! That's nice for a change!
I am a little under the weather...I think I picked up some intestinal crud when I was having the bronchoscopy at the hospital last week...or I just picked it up somewhere. But so far it is not a very productive week...mostly sleeping and complaining. But I'll survive.
We've had a little snow and are expecting a little more. A little is okay...I'm not ready for a lot. I think I'm already ready for spring! :lol Well, it is pretty when all that white stuff comes down...but then driving in it is lousy and when it gets dirty...well...yuck! But...so it goes.
Have a good week all!

Sandy

khourianya
12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Nice tree, Cori! What do those people do to the poor dog to get such instant results??? Threaten him with a Xmas stocking fulla rocks?

Heavens, no. lol. They spend a couple of hours trianing us on how to handle various situations around the undesirable behaviour and help us work with training aids. In this case, a quick squirt of water and a verbal reprimand have him no longer barking at us or jumping onto the bed. He now stays on the floor and sits quietly beside us. He's a smart boy and picks up on what we want really fast.

Khadres
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Wow! Better than most kids! :D

CM Neidhofer
12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Well, it's a whopping 10 degrees at the moment here in Englewood, Colorado!! :eek: With snow off and on for the last three hours or so. :cool: How's things down your way, Sooz??

Christine

Khadres
12-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Anyone wanna come visit and we'll catch some rays? We're down to 14 F (-10C) with heavy, blowing snow...we'd be the only people by the pool! :D Christie, I think we might want to reschedule the hula party?

CM Neidhofer
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Anyone wanna come visit and we'll catch some rays? We're down to 14 F (-10C) with heavy snow...we'd be the only people by the pool! :D

LOL....sure Sooz! We'll start our own "Polar Bear" club!! Brrrrrrrr!!!!!

Christine

meowmeow
12-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Brrrrrr....you guys are making me cold. We never got the snow they threatened but it is chilly....but not compared to you!

Sandy

CM Neidhofer
12-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Christie, I think we might want to reschedule the hula party?

Awwww....and I already dug out the fur lined hula skirt too!!! :rolleyes:

Khadres
12-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Ah, well....maybe next time?! One thing about it, if you're already under the weather and can't go much of anywhere, spells like this don't seem nearly so bad from the warmth and comfort of indoors. Poor Gary just drove in from Shriever (about 10 mi. out on the prairie), says it's already white-out blizzard conditions out there and he pities anybody who didnt start home early. The snow here has settled down to a steady sifting....the kind that can pile up a surprising amount in little time. Ah, well, another good excuse to do my Xmas shopping online!

CM Neidhofer
12-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Down to 9 degrees now. It's stopped snowing for the time being. I have to work tonight, so I'm off to bed. Not looking forward at all to going out in the cold tonight. It's only about a six block drive to work, so the car doesn't even get warm by the time I get there! 'Nite nite all! :wave:

michellej
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is having a good holiday so far. Just taking a moment to touch base. end of term test just finished today so i'm in the middle of marking papers and all that. Some of the kids made me want to weep when I looked at their final art pieces (not with joy). But some did okay and I have high hopes for them.
I'm exhausted and counting down the days until Friday when school will close for the holidays.
We have no snow so the weather has been vascillating between lots of rain and very hot. The mornings have decided to remain cold.
Have not been painting at all I fon't know if it's just laziness or lack of inspiration. I'm hoping that it will go away when schools closes.
Love the jumping lab.:)

khourianya
12-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Sheesh - and we've warmed up to -10*C too, from our -22*C/-7*F days of the weekend and last week. Feels almost balmy. It's supposed to hit the positive side of Celcius later in the week. Calgary weather is sooo weird.

K Taylor-Green
12-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Greta, Sounds like you need a break.

Well, that fur lined hula skirt just boggles the mind. If you guys try it out, I want pictures!

Tonight was my monthly art guild meeting. Course, it being December, it was a Christmas dinner instead. One of our members, who is one of my closest friends is a gourmet cook who does part time catering. She made Pork Diane
for 48 people. The sides were fairly simple, but the desserts were to die for.

We made mini paintings to exchange (I posted mine). The crazy thing was that Debbie, Elaine, and myself, all got each other's paintings! We put them all in a basket, and everyone picks blindly. The three of us are extremely close, we paint together when we can. Elaine's hubby calls us the Usual Suspects. Still, to draw each other's works out like that is really bizzare in my book!

Still pretty cold here, too, though it has warmed enough each day to melt the ice a bit at a time. The trees have lost theirs, but the grass is still really crunchy. I didn't get any photos of the outside tree in ice and lights. Bummer.

watergirl
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hello to all of you from Cape Coral Florida where it is a balmy 65 degrees! We made it here in 10 days from Washington state and it was a very loong drive. I finally understand about New Mexico colors as we saw the most spectacular sunset one night. And in New Mexico Kado learned to open the hotrl room on his own and go for a walk in the pitch dark desert (Lordsburg). Luckily he found his way back to me without any disaster! We are renting a house here until June as my husband needed to be more accessible to his east coast customers but I feel like I have hit the jackpot!

Scoping out where to do pastels and the best place seems to be outside in the covered lanai. Any problems with keeping pastels outside (and dry) hopefully? Can't wait to get painting again.

Deborah Secor
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Greta, you need some time on the beach with Molly! I suspect things will even out for you soon... I know I've been stressed too much and forgetting to count my blessings. It helps so much when I do!

Molly, enjoy! The only worry I'd have about pastels outside would be weather or little theiving critters--but that's New Mexico, not Florida. I look forward to seeing your beach paintings...

It's 0 degrees outside at the moment. We saw a really beautiful thing--the air was filled with 'pixie dust' (as my son said). It was finely sifted, sparkling snow crystals being blown in front of the dark trees, illuminated by a shaft of pure morning sunlight. Wow! There's no snow on the ground, so it looked like glitter in the air. And right now there's this GORGEOUS streak of shimmering red light down my cabinets, sort of glimmering and dancing around, cast by sunlight through my hummingbird feeder. It looks like a bit of the rainbow dropped by for a visit!

I'm getting a permanent today--something I haven't done in about 25 years...I'm excited and a little nervous but ready for a change. I'll let ya know how things come out! :eek:

Deborah

scall0way
12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi All,
I have not had a lot of online time this week. As Sooz mentioned earlier my dad took a fall on Sunday while at my house. I was at work all day Sunday so he was not found until some hours later when my sister and her husband showed up to visit with him. He could not even move, and they called 911 and had him taken to the hospital. The whole initial cause is still a mystery, and I'm not sure my dad even remembers clearly. He says he just suddenly felt "weak" and his knees buckled. But what was the cause? Some things have been ruled out, like a stroke or heart attack. His white blood count was sky-high when he got to the hospital so they said he must have a large baterial infection from somewhere which could have made him weak (for *years* he has been prone to getting strange infections out of the blue like this, with no determined cause, but there is an infectious disease specialist seeing him now so I hope we get some answers), his blood sugar was 387 when he arrived at the hospital! That could have made him weak, or it could be a result of the trauma. It could have been blood pressure, either high or low. No way to know.

At any rate he was admitted to the hospital, with his biggest danger being severe kidney damage or failure! As a result of his being stuck for hours in an awkward position his muscles were greatly under stress, and he developed a condition called Rhabdomyolysis - "the breakdown of skeletal muscle due to injury. The principal result of this process is acute renal failure due to accumulation of muscle breakdown products in the bloodstream, several of which are injurous to the kidney".

The main treatment is lots of IV fluids to keep his kidneys flushing, and they started him on IVs immediately at the hospital. It's a balancing act though as not enough fluid would be harder on the kidneys, and too much fluid can cause congestive heart failure. Gosh, it's both amazing and a little bit scary how interconnected everything is. Anyway, we were at the hospital until 1 AM with him that night, in the ER, and getting him settled in a room. I came back and spent all day Monday with him, though basically he slept all day. I had brought a book though, and a sketchpad, and posted the two sketches I did at my art blog at 360.yahoo.com/scall0way ...

Anyway, he is slowly improving. He is more alert and coherent today, his kidneys seem to be clearing up and he may go off the IV tomorrow. He still can't get out of bed yet though, and can barely move his right leg. They had thought breaks were ruled out, but they are going to take more Xrays of the hip and pelvis today. If those are okay, and the kidneys look okay, they will start him on physical therapy in a couple days to get him moving again.

Anyway, yesterday I was back at work but then went to the hospital for the entire evening last night (and missed my Messiah Sing, sigh>) and will probably do the same again tonight, tomorrow night, etc. Not much time for art right now I'm afraid, and still not even sure what all this will do to Xmas plans. We'll have to see what the next few days bring.

Deborah Secor
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Hang in there, Debbie--you have a lot on your plate right now. Stay close to your dad at the hospital, or keep somebody there with him, if you can... Keep your energy up, too, with enough sleep, the right foods--you know the drill! It sounds as if the worst is past now. Hope so! I'll keep this all in prayer.

Deborah

meowmeow
12-07-2005, 04:33 PM
((Debbie)) I know how tough it is, dealing with all this. I'm really glad to hear your dad is improving though. I know sometimes they just don't have all the answers we crave. I know from my parents' experiences that something as simple as a urinary tract infection can throw everything off in elderly people. It makes them weak and off balance and it is downhill from there. Clearing the infectin up solves a lot of the difficulty. I also know my mother has had trouble getting around for ages and they don't really have answers...arthritis, osteoporosis..just old age and things not workin right anymore.
I hope things continue to improve. Take care and try not to stress too much...take it a day at a time!

Sandy

Khadres
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
I am soooo glad th at there is at least improving news! When you took off that night I couldn't help but think of my grandfather's first stroke when he fell while my grandmother and I were at an art fair. All it takes sometimes, is that first fall to throw everything out of whack for awhile. Since he managed to avoid a shattered hip or other breakage, maybe it will just be a matter of treating his other symptoms in order to put him back on top. Isn't it great he was there where you and the family live when it happened? When things like that happen at a distance, that just multiplies the problems.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear he's improving. Now be sure to take some time to take care of you too! ;)

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2005, 06:49 AM
{{{{Debbie}}}}} Hope your dad continues to improve - falling for the elderly can be very traumatic psychologically. When my mom fell twice last year, she said she lost all her confidence in being independent and doing things on her own. She was afraid to go anywhere on her own for fear of falling again. Take care of yourself too - no need to get sick now!

Sandy, sorry that you are not feeling well. Hospitals try awfully hard not to have things going around, but just being what they are things are bound to be passed around. Drink lots of fluids.

Sooz, I hope you are doing better?? I'm asking because here I am at 5:00 a.m. wide awake and not sure what woke me up, but I suspect that John was the culprit. He is still not 100% - sinus infection always hits him hard - but what really makes me see red is that he still smokes while he is so sick. grrrrrrrr . . . I had my 100th conversation with him about quitting, but he insists that he does not want to quit. Until he wants to quit, there is not much I can do. He is banned from smoking in the house and the cars, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? I've tried everything.

It's been cold here, but no snow - if this is any indication of our winter, the country is in for a doozy of a winter. The news photos from Colorado made me want to shiver and crawl in bed with a hot water bottle.

Went Christmas shopping on Monday, but it was limited - gimping around with a couple of bum knees. Not sure what I did to my right knee - it feels all backwards. No decorating yet, I can't seem to get into the spirit so giving the house a good once over. Painted just a bit yesterday, but my studio is stone cold these days. Will have to come up with something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to heat it up.

Have a good week and stay warm everybody!

Khadres
12-08-2005, 09:05 AM
FIve below zero here right now...the dogs are not happy that their doggie door is gone for the duration, but that thing lets cold air in like crazy As for how I'm doing....well, waiting for a cancelled slot at the sleep study center...it's either that or wait til February! With my luck, they'll probably call Xmas eve or something; not that I would turn that option down...I want something done about this and soon.

In the meantime, I need to ramp up my online Xmas shopping. Since I can't get out todo it all the usual way, time is really of the essence. I wonder if the Ginsu Knives folks have a website?

khourianya
12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
lol - ginsu

I am going out Christmas shopping today tomorrow and all weekend. I want to finish up this week so I can just clean and prepare for the family to arrive week after next. I just found out that my old union from the college rattified their new contract and that I qualify for backpay so that will be a nice xmas gift :)

(((Debbie))) So sorry to hear about your dad. I do hope he recovers quickly (and completely) for you.

Took Abner to a friends house last night to see how his training is holding when away from familliar surroundings. He was still excited, but basically adhered to what we have been working with him on. By Christmas he should be a perfect angel.

+2*C already today. The weekend is supposed to be really warm this week.

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Sooz, that call on Christmas Eve could be your best Christmas present after all. Imagine a whole year of interrupted sleep!

meowmeow
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Sooz, I hadn't realized you were having trouble...sounds like sleep problems...that's lousy. I hope you get help soon!

Deborah, we want to see photos of your hair! I used to get permanents but frankly, I cannot stand sitting there in the chair that long! :D Besides, after years of doing it I just go ttired of the look. Now it is just short and easy to take care of. Not very exciting either. Oh well!

It's not too bad out now...I just took the dog for a quick walk around the block. It's about freezing, but no wind and the sun is out. Of course, we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow...who konws..the last one just blew away from us. I'm not complaining.

I am feeling better...still watching what I eat but I have to do that anyhow! At least I am not sleeping all day! Am I doing anything wonderfully worthwhile? Not particularly! :D

You all stay well...or get better....

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Looks like everyone is in for bad weather, except Molly!
We are under a winter storm warning. Freezing rain and sleet the rest of the day, 2 inches of snow by this evening, and another 4 to 6 inches overnight!!
I am simmering soupbeans, which will thrill Jess to no end.

Sooze, I hope your sleep problems clear up soon. I have that sporadically, but basically, I am a night owl anyway.

Deborah, I want to see your hair. Maybe I'll be inspired to let mine grow and get it permed again. It is the only thing that tames my naturally wavy hair when it has any length to it.

Debbie, I'm thinking of your dad. Hope he improves, soon. Just hang in there.

Kat, don't know what to say about John's smoking. Jess quit smoking before I met him, but he still uses tobacco, the little tins of Skoal. Don't know that it is much improvement.

Deborah Secor
12-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Kat, bum knees are no fun at all. I know, I've been there. For me it was a matter of losing weight and exercising...but I still have one that 'goes out' for no apparent reason now and then. So far it's always gone back. (I can't tell ya what it is, since it's never been out when I was at the doctor's office!) Rest seems to cure it, but that sure is hard to do this time of year.

Sooz, I love online shopping no matter what! It's so nice to have those gifts delivered right to the door. Saves on gas, too, which from where I live can be about the same as S&H--plus I've found quite a few catalogs giving free shipping this year!

Ooooh, just found a converter for Farenheit and Celsius...http://biphome.spray.se/nebrer/temp.htm So I can now see that it's 32*F where Cori is! It's -2*C here now, FYI (that's 29*F for the rest of you.)

You just take it easy, Sandy... sounds like the perfect time for tea and a good book to me. That's worthwhile.

Kate--photos of the tree in snow, with the lights on...remember? We have NO snow at all. None. Dry. Very frustrating.

Okay, here's a photo I took of myself...not easy to do, by the way! :D I have curls, don't I? Once I wash it it will calm down, I suspect, at least a little--but it sure is fun to have it all bouncy!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/23609-curlz2.jpg

meowmeow
12-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Lookin' good Deborah....it should last a while. I think it eases really slowly with each washing but I think I could get about 3 or 4 months out of a perm...although it has been a while since I had one.
Are you happy with it? It's fun to do something different for a change!
I had a nice, relaxing day and did get a lot of little things. Much better than the totally unproductive first part of the week.

Sandy

khourianya
12-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Very nice, Deborah! Looks so pretty and bouncy!

Deborah Secor
12-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh, yeah--I like it a lot! It looks kinda crazy in that last shot but it really flatters me. I wanted a change--cut, color or curl--and this made the most sense because I want to grow it out a bit more. I'm shooting for waves at about chin length. I hope I get 3 or 4 months, but I suspect with my straight, straight hair it won't last that long. I have TONS of hair that's sort of medium-fine in texture (tranlsation: more hair than I ever know what to do with) so this is sure easy!

Here's another self-shot photo...I look like a space cadet cause I'm trying to do two things at once! Here you can see the shape better. :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/23609-curlz.jpg

I was given (GIVEN!) a bunch of Schmincke and a small box of Unison pastels, so I'm gonna go clean my palette and plug these new ones in. Then it's painting for me!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
12-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Deborah, I really like it!! I used to wear mine shoulder length and permed. Scrunching it with styling gel gave me about an extra month.

Well I should definitly get pics of the tree with lights and snow. We sure got a bunch!! It started snowing a little after 4:00. By 5 the ground was covered.
I have to DRAG Raven in when it is like this. He loves the snow. Racker and Poppy barely go far enough away from the house to pee, and want right back in. Canines!

pjo
12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone, I don't think I've dropped in to say hi since October. I'm sure I've missed lots of stuff, and I just looked through 4 pages of posts. Weather seems to be a big topic, as Deborah said we haven't yet gotten any snow, but it sure has been cold. I'm looking forward to getting snowed in right about now.

Debbie-I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, I pray that he continues to improve and that you take care of yourself too.

Deborah-LOVE THE HAIR! It's been awhile since I've seen you and your hair has grown quite a bit too. It's fun to change once in a while too. I'm glad Dan did so well with his spoons, they are certainly beautiful. Enjoy your new pastels.

Everyone take care of yourself, we just got our first cases of flu here in New Mexico, hopefully it will be a mild outbreak this year.

K Taylor-Green
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi, PJ! Good to see you. Don't be a stranger!

Deborah, we are doomed. A high wind kicked up last night and blew all the snow off the tree branches, including my decorated spruce tree!! There is still plenty on the ground, though. School is out here. I think the roads are in decent condition, well, except ours, which is a township road! I'll be lucky if it gets scraped let alone salted.
It is supposed to be clear and cold tomorrow, with no more precipitation. That is good for me, as I want to go to Columbus tomorrow to shop!

Bringer
12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi,

Check this funny stuff presented by one of our collegues.
Concentrate on the cross.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4124140#post4124140

Regards,

Josť

Deborah Secor
12-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Whoa--what a cool illusion, Jose'! You all have to go see it!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
12-11-2005, 01:58 AM
LOL, now my vision is all messed up!

bnoonan
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi there one and all... No time to chat but I wanted to provide you with a Heads Up...

At least two of us pastelists posting our work on art-agent received similiar inquiries for paintings that required shipping to Japan and when it came time to ask questions about the person e-mailing, they shut down and don't reply.

Omar Brown is the person's sign on name by e-mail... Be on the look out!

B

PeggyB
12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
and if you stare at that darn cross long enough without blinking, you will see two of them - whew! Thanks for the fun Jose.

I spent the afternoon assembling the new Christmas tree. We decided that since we have new carpeting now was the time to get one so the needles won't fall all over the carpet. The actual assembly wasn't hard, but properly arranging the branches too forever, and it is only a 7.5 foot tree! Then of course one row of lights wouldn't work until I found that a bulb was missing. Now all I have to do is get the decorations on it. Bob decided it was just too beautiful a day not to take the pups for a nice hike up Little Mt Si. The three of them had a grand time and are all now taking a nap. Think I 'll get a can of evergreen scent for although the tree looks very natural, it doesn't have that certain holiday smell....
Peggy

PeggyB
12-11-2005, 10:49 PM
PS - love the new hair Deborah. I've been tempted to do something similar, but my hair stylist says I'm not the "curly type" - whatever that means! I remember about 15 years ago having long hair that was the then extremely crimped curls in style. It was so easy to care for! HOwever, I'm not about to tick off my stylist. She is my son's age, and she refuses to have me pay what she charges most people saying because I was so kind to continue with her at one difficult part in her life she just wouldn't feel right about it. I pay half of anyone elses fee - but believe me she gets great tips, and I always remember a really good gift for Christmas and her birthday.

Peggy