PDA

View Full Version : How do you store yours?

eyeinthesky
12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi All, I was wondering how you all overcome the problem of storing pastel paintings? I am a newbie so I don't have many paintings as yet, and most of those I have are framed, but what can I do to keep my practice stuff? I don't want to go to the expense of framing them, nor do I want to throw them out, at least not yet. Any suggestions?
Dave

HarvestMoon
12-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Dave- I found a huge folder type thing made of really heavy duty cardboard- so I put the pictures in there seperated by glassine.. I put it on top of the tallest shelf in the studio (sideways, not up so they won't 'slump' down in the folder), but keep the cats out of the studio so they won't jump up and knock the whole thing down..... I am sure there is a better archieval way, but I am not trying to save them for prosperity... I have heard that you can find those big metal (expensive) map-storage type cabnets sometimes second-hand- if you have a drafting supply store in town, you might ask them if they know of anyplace that carries them, or if they have any themselves.
Linda

khourianya
12-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I store mine so they are ready for shipping if anyone buys one. Meaning I cut two pieces of foamcore. I attach the painting to one piece and tape glassine over tit, then I keep the second piece of foamcore attached to the back of the piece with the painting on it. I hold thatin place with elastic bands. Then, when it's time to ship, I can see the painting through the glassine so i know i have the right one and then I move the seocnd piece of foamcore to the front and use the elastics to hold it in place so I can package for shipping. I store the smaller paintings flat in a file box (Keeps the dog out) and the larger ones, I keep in a cubby in my studio (the cubby is the space between my bookcase and the wall) so I can flip through them.

Paula Ford
12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
All of mine are bonded to foam board, so when I'm done with a painting I tape a big sheet of tracing paper on the back of the board and then wrap the paper around the painting and tape it to the other end of the back. I can see through the tracing paper to see what painting it is. They are just stacked (standing up) in a corner so I can flip through them.

eyeinthesky
12-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Linda, Cori and Paula, thank you for responding, I am guessing that glassine is a clear flexible plastic? I will try to buy some of this. I have some rigid plastic document cases I can use but wanted to prevent any smudging. Thanks again,
Dave.

fortysomething
12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
I use glassine paper also, but I think it's more economical to buy it by the roll.

Here's a storage tip for those awkward rolls of glassine:
Instead of opening the box by it's flaps, cut a slit on the long edge of one of the sides. Reach in, and remove the plastic wrapper from the roll of glassine while it remains in the box. Gently pull the glassine thru the new slit along the edge of the shipping box. The glassine stays neatly rolled up in it's original box, and is easy to get at when I need more.

removed link, image won't cooperate either.:o