PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Intuos3 and Cintiq Owners: Add Useful Functionality in Painter!

pixlart
12-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi:

I recently discovered a useful productivity enhancement that I'd like to share with Wacom Intuos3 and Cintiq 21UX owners.

I've owned a Wacom Intuos3 tablet for about a year. When I initially received it, I found that when using it with Corel Painter IX, the Touch Strips and ExpressKeys (located on either side of the drawing area) were a nuisance and that I would inadvertently hit/touch them with my drawing hand. To eliminate the problem, I disabled them.

Well, I recently had one of those Aha! moments and realized that I could take advantage of this functionality for productive purposes. I've mapped Painter's Increase Brush Size and Decrease Brush Size keys to the Touch Strip.

Since I'm left-handed, I applied this functionality to the right Touch Strip (I keep the left Touch Strip disabled to avoid accidental input when my left palm occasionally rubs it while drawing). Right-handers may want to alternatively apply this functionality to their left Touch Strip/ExpressKeys set.

This new functionality enables me to paint and interactively adjust my brush size. The size change increment is adjustable in the Preferences: General palette. I personally prefer a 2 pixel increment, but you can set it to any interval you'd like.

Once I mapped the Touch Strip, I played around with the adjacent ExpressKeys and found that they make very useful screen adjusting shortcuts. I've mapped the keys to Zoom In, Zoom Out, Fit in Window, and Toggle between Full Screen and Window modes. All this is now accomplished without interrupting my drawing/painting activity.

I'm assuming that this functionality will also work with the Cintiq 21UX (which also has ExpressKeys and Touch Strips. I don't have one, so I can't test it, but I'm believe the drivers are the same.

I hope this is useful for some of you Intuos3/Cintiq owners.

Viva la Painter!

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/640/intuos3mapping5vl.th.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=intuos3mapping5vl.jpg)

Smokin
12-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I did the same thing with my tablet.

Im left handed, so the left side touchstrip I set to only be activated with pen only, that way I dont have any accidental touches.

The right set of buttons: I have the touch strip set to brush size, Spacebar, Undo, redo, and flip canvase.

The left side: I have show/hide guides, show/hide rulers, Dont really use that side much, but I am going to set on buttong to tilt the canvase like I've been meaning to do.

One pen button is set to sample a color, and the other pen button is also set to increase the size of my brush(great to get general size of brush i want and use the touch strip to adjust more acuratly.).

I wish for both Painter and PS the touch strip could control the opacity of paint. It works with Opacity of lay, but its just not the same.

I'd be interested to here how others set up thier tablets to increase performance.

Chiers
12-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Great tip John. I added it to our library. Thanks!

Smokin
12-03-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/65236-Pen_only.jpg

For those who can find a use for the second touchstrip (I havnt yet) to prevent acidental activating goto advanced / then check the box where it say it can only be activated by pen.

This touch strip I wish wouldd control opacity but eh, nothing is ever perfect.

jhercilia
12-04-2005, 02:06 AM
John - the settings also work with the cintiq 21ux.
In addition to setting the Touch Strip to adjust the brush size, I have the same functionality assigned to my pen. And I can just press the pen's button and drag with the pen to the size I want. This way I don't have to do anything else with but keep painting. For my Express Keys I have assigned the Color Picker also.

pixlart
12-04-2005, 09:39 AM
It's really cool to see that others are taking advantage of this functionality. What I originally viewed as an annoyance has become a valuable extension to Painter.

Viva la Painter!

Druillath
01-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm still at the stage of having both the touch strips disabled because I got sick of it zooming me in or out to infinity whenever I brushed past them by accident. But I am going to try the idea of activating them by pen only, with one set to brush size. Thanks for the tip!

Brett

Steven Reno
01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi all

Great thread. I too disabled the touch strip but would like to use the pen method (please tell how to do it).

After much experimenting I've just about settled on these settings, which I use with Photoshop and Painter 9.

Pen . . Lower set to control Z (undo) . . upper set to alt (sample and shortcuts)

Off hand keys strip = brush size. . Lower key = spacebar (hand)

upper left = control T (tracing paper) center = tab (hide palettes) and in the upper center I want to put in rotate page but I can't get it to work right. I keep getting the one where you fill in the number of degrees instead of the one where you rotate quickly with the stylus.

On the brush hand side I kept the modifiers and disabled the touch-strip. I would like to hear more ideas on how to use the keys on the brush hand side. Seems awkward to use them.

Its good to know the keyboard shortcuts too. One day I would like to paint and forget I'm on a computer. Express keys and shortcuts will help get there and of course practice, practice, pr........ Steve

fugitive
03-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Ok, now for the poor people; will it work on an Artz tablet, which also has a touch strip, altho, untill today, didn't know it was called that. I use my artz for 3 hardness setting, but it has many more buttons left over. BTW, I'm a right hander, as right is right!;-)

AndieW
03-20-2006, 03:06 AM
I use a Wacom Intuos3 with artrage 2 and have done something similar. I found that the default 'Zoom' set for the slider didn't work but once I set it up to send a 'key sequence' it did. I now have one strip zooming and the other setting brush size and at the moment I have one of the left keys set to switch the tracing image on / off. I now plan to set another to switch all the panels on and off as I keep doing it accidentally with the pen! Unfortunately I am not as dextrous as Janet so if I use the pen I will probably just paint a huge stripe across my painting :lol: ( thinks: Maybe I should set another key to 'undo' :D )

Andie

Mr_Pen
03-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Hi, John

I've touched the real Cintiq21 at the shop, but I didn't use the pad, so I can't say, but I think it must wrok too. B.T.W. how about buy "X-keys"? I set it on the Intuous3 with tape:)

Mr_Pen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2006/79186-100_0133.jpg

fugitive
03-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Oh, damn, that is so purty, if someone would like to buy me one, I'd be greatful.

jhercilia
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Tha pad on the Cintiq works the same as with regular tablet. You can configure it according to your needs.