PDA

View Full Version : Uploading images assistance

gfwolf
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I hate to go over old topics put I am not having much luck at searching to find information on uploading images. I would like to upload images to a thread using a thumbnail and then having a larger image which would open up if someone clicks on it. I know this has been covered before but I have not been successful in searching for the information in forums or articles. I do not want to upload to a gallery but am hoping there is a program which will help me edit the images to they do not exceed the 500 X 600 limit.

Please point me in the right direction. I would appreciate it.

KJSCL
12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
You need to use the Go Advanced button. Once on the advanced screen scroll down a bit until you see the Manage Attachment section. From there it's pretty straightforward. You'll still have to abide by the 500x600 limitation

Hope this helps

gfwolf
12-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the information Kathy.
I had used the Go Advanced button. It must be that it is more straightforward than I am making it out to be. I thought there may be a program provided which would help trim my images to the 500 x600 limit. Also I did not see any provision to use a thumbnail vs a single sized image in a posting, and I have seen both done on various threads.

Paula Ford
12-03-2005, 08:08 PM
gfwolf,

If you do an internet search for "The Gimp" it's a free photo program, or PhotoPlus 6.0 is free also. If you decide on The Gimp, let me know. It's a huge program and I'll give you the steps to get your photos down to the size needed.

As far as the uploading system, I think we're still having problems. I honestly don't know why we're getting these thumbnail pictures. Hang in there. They are trying to iron out the kinks still.

Paula

gfwolf
12-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks Paula,
I will go out and google for "The Gimp". I will most likely decide on it since you recommend it. I have gone to using a laptop which does not have any of the picture manipulation software my old computer used to have.

As for uploading I can understand the problems. I used to do internet and intranet developing and I always dreaded the launch because no matter how hard you try to debug there is always something after the launch.

I just felt I should try to post something so others would know I am trying out pastels and not just skulking.

I would prefer to do a thumbnail and then a full size. It just seems the page would load faster with a thumbnail and then if anyone was interested in a larger view they could click on it. Should I wait until that is available? Was there that option in the past?
Thanks again for the information. A Gimping I will go.

sundiver
12-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Also Polyview is a free download, doesn't use much memory, and you can use it to resize images easily.
Everything's a little off-kilter here at the moment. Normally if you want to receive clickable attachments, you note that in your Personal Options in My WC, and all attachments will look like that when you get them. If you post an attachment, it depends on other peoples' options whether they get thumbnails or large images. But there are glitches now and may be for a day or two more.

HarvestMoon
12-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi- the image thing that seems to be working is on the top of the page - see the Quick Links, then Image Uploader under that menu, then hit Browse to search for the picture on your computer....the picture image under Go Advanced does not seem to be working (at least for me), nor the picture Icon.... I use a very easy editing software, that I don't think is sold stand-alone anymore- it is Adobe Image Ready, but I think it is now bundled in photoshop, which is expensive.... if I recall, now when you are in a Private Message the Image tool there does resize things for you to the correct size.... it seems a bit strange that one will resize, and others won't, but that is just the way big software programs seem to evolve- hope this helps, in case your question was not already answered...

gfwolf
12-04-2005, 12:28 AM
My thanks to Kathy, Paula, Wendy and Purples for your help. I have downloaded The Gimp and the 30 day trial for Polyview and have resized the images to fit within the 500x600 limit.

Paula Ford
12-04-2005, 12:30 AM
YAY! :clap: :clap: :clap: