PDA

View Full Version : any collage artists out there?

Mae
01-28-2002, 07:08 PM
[Editor's Note: In the future, when creating posts, be sure not to select the "create a poll" option unless you plan on actually creating a poll. Otherwise, the new post will be put into the queue for moderation automatically by the system. Approving this one now. :)

I have just discovered the joys of collage and photomontage/mixed media over the past year..and it brings out a sense of playfulness and adventure in me..After painting for so many years it feels like a little liberation! Any other wet canvas artists out there who like to have fun with this medium?

sassybird
01-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Collage is fun. I save old watercolor and acrylic paintings I began but lost interest in, or something happened to them. I cut them up in small pieces for doing collage and mosaic type pieces. I like to combine all kinds of things in collage. Do you have some samples of your work to show?

PatB
01-29-2002, 04:54 PM
This is something I made for my grandsons. They have it in their room. It is finished with cording around the outside. They were simply delighted. It is so easy to please 7 yr olds(twins).

This use to be a speaker($3). I took off the front, and added things as I went. I love Goodwill and all the thrift shops in the world.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2002/chaseandrewpro.jpg

I usually make something for family celebrations. Hubby loves his house made with pic of swamp and swamp goodies.

PatB

msue
01-30-2002, 08:54 AM
Love collage. I mostly do paper collages. Don't do many photo or much 3D. Mine so far are more color studies (probably because the week long collage class I took focused on color). I do use old watercolor paintings that didn't work and I also incorporate my lino-block prints. Some of my collages are also themed. All my most resent collages have had religious undertones.

Leaflin
01-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Hi Mae
I love collage.......it is liberating.....and as you said brings out a sense of playfulness and adventure.
You might be interested in the link below.
It is from one of the projects the we did on mixed media.
There are some good links on the intro page.
(except for the first link which is papier mache')

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=85

Do you make your own paper to use in your collages?

Mae
02-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Thank you all for replying..It's gratifying to see such a strong interest in this medium..PatB love your very original gift for your grandson..I like to give art to the people in my life that appreciate it..and found & thrift store objects can be the fuel for some amazing creations..Leaflin..I don't make my own paper as of yet but am interested in learning!
i am attaching a file of one of my recent pieces..hope I have figured it out correctly..Look forward to checking into this forum often!
Mae

CarlyHardy
02-03-2002, 04:42 PM
I do collage on occasion. Usually papers torn or cut to create new surfaces, but sometimes as the paper itself in the art.

Here's one of mine...

Mae
02-04-2002, 12:41 PM
I love your choice of colours and composition CH ! (Especially in a cold Canadian winter day- very cheerful and uplifting)

iyoung
02-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi Mae.
I put collage elements into almost everything I do the last few years.

I like to mix high realism in paint with vintage or oriental papers & cultural trinkets & leaf. I think it makes for an entertaining piece and also makes a statement about the value of everyday things of life and the interrelationships.

Here's one I still kinda like though it's long gone. At least I have a pic of it. Watercolor, leaf and washi w/ acrylic resist:

Link to a bigger one to see the stuff on it is: http://members.aol.com/user843965/many.htm

Ilene

Editing to mention I just finished one with victorian era crackerjack trinkets on it and another with vintage romance comics. Do any of you use stuff like this?

Mae
02-13-2002, 08:21 AM
Hi Ilene..Cool collage work! Your technique is very individual..painterly
I especially love tacky vintage ads and interesting memorabilia.( I am a scavenger at heart!). I would love to see some of your other work..please post!...

paintergirl
03-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Last year during a burnout period I had a craving to play with texture... the end result was fabric collages. I now prowl remnant bins at fabric stores, and I can barely sew on a button. I use a glue gun or epoxy and have build up these layered pictures... possibly a bit like quilting but more 3-D in effect. The varying textures of the fabric add alot of interest and I have found a new way to recycle "dead" canvases that are beyond hope.

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures posted here, they are just beautiful and so inspirational !!

Mae
03-01-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi stainedpaintergirl..your work sounds intriquing! do you have any samples to post?

diane555
03-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Hi Mae

I also work with fabrics. I just posted a couple of mine. Nice to see your work and post you'll be posting more soon. I also have some plans to incoorporate fabric collages into some clay sculptures or reliefs at some point....never seems to be enough time to do it all! :D

Di

paintergirl
03-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Hello Mae,
I started the fabric collage when I was having a bad burnout moment with the painting...it is now a release of sorts for me. I sold the first couple but still have several. I will borrow a digi-cam and get a picture of them. To give you an idea , I did a killer whale scene , lighthouse etc..I build up the forground and really played on the textures using a variety of scrap satins etc...

I am now a regular at the remnant bins...LOL ...
I am currently digging through sheets of antique sheet music etc...have plans to integrate that into it too...

Dianne, I cant wait to see your pictures!

geeperstx
03-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi Mae -

I just completed a collage project with my students. Since my students are elementary aged, I decided to have a little bit more structure to my collage project and we did "story collage". Each of us told a personal story - true or not - and then sketched a "snapshot" moment of the story. Once we completed the sketch, we pretended to have a zoom lens camera and zoom in on a particular part of the sketch and create the collage from there.

The results were really fun and interesting. I have attached (I hope I did it correctly) my collage I completed along with the students. The story is about the first puppy I ever had and how I didn't pick him, he picked me. Since the dog first bit my shoe, I decided to make the dog out of shoes.

The students also came up with some very creative ways to create images. One girl made a very funny clown out of parts and pieces of supermodels she found in fashion magazines. Another boy made a campsite in the woods made completely out of photos of vegetables.

We used the book "Uptown" by artist Bryan Collier as inspiration. He made brownstone apartments out of photos of chocolate bars and trees out of broccoli. Very fun to figure out what he used to make his collages and a nice springboard for our own project work!

geeperstx
03-03-2002, 05:06 PM
Whoops! Okay, here is my collage.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2002/collage1a.jpg

Mae
03-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Awesome geepers.!.I love your personal interpretation..magical! i would love to see some more samples! Children have a way of free expression that is inspirational if not squashed! You must be a wonderful teacher to be able to work with their imagination in such a respectful and inventive fashion! Collage is a great way for children to play with image and colour..and they feel really proud and competant with the results too.

Last year I worked students to create a whole school mural to tie in with an anti-bullying project..here are the results- each class created paintings which represented a thought (for example kindness, respect ) from each student (350 students!) which I then in turn collaged with acrylic and layers of verathene on to a canvas panel (12 panels) whew! it was a labour of love..and looked quite powerful when mounted on the street side of the school wall..it made me you realize how art can be such an amazing vehicle of expression.

thanks again for sharing !

geeperstx
03-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Mae:

Thank you for your kind comments and even more for that very inspirational artwork. What a wonderful project! You are right...collage invites success on so many levels. I find that those who struggle with drawing and painting really come alive in collage putting together assemblages that are very creative and interesting. From that success, it gives them the confidence to work harder on drawing and painting. The great thing about children, to me, is that if you can get them thinking they are artists, they will act and create like ones...a message for those of us who struggle with creative blocks too!

Your anti-bullying installation looks incredible, even in this forum! I'll bet such strong visuals created quite an impact. I would love to try something similar with my group!

Thanks! G

iyoung
03-07-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by geeperstx

The great thing about children, to me, is that if you can get them thinking they are artists, they will act and create like ones...a message for those of us who struggle with creative blocks too!
G

Reading your post reminded me that collage is great for adult art students too because incorporating printed papers (either patterned or textured or colored) into paintings gets them to work as "designers" thinking in terms of shapes & balance, which is a good way around creative blocks & timidity too. It also has a non-serious throwaway quality which loosens things up.

I love the anti-bullying installation on the exterior of the school. How long was this up?

Ilene

Mae
03-07-2002, 08:41 PM
thankyou also geeperstx and iyoung..The anti bullying art project is an everyday reminder to all the students of their devotion to remaining a safe school for all..
It remains outside the school as an installation ( looking a little forlorn and weatherbeaten ..but still full of colour and magic)

artbabe21
03-16-2002, 12:57 PM
I've enjoyed collage as a no brainer, since I relax and go into
'that zone', I sometimes can't reach in other art mediums. I find many times they are quite subliminal reflecting aspects of my life.
Here's a few examples of some that I did a few years ago

jolie
03-16-2002, 03:23 PM
hi...

i'm new to wetcanvas. i just joined yesterday, but was excited to see there are many other people interested in collage!

i've always considered myself a crafter, rather than an artist. however, in january, my hubby and i visited several art galleries. i found myself examining the art, especially the mixed media very closely. i soon started experimenting with making paper, using oil pastels and watercolors, and various other mediums. since i can't really draw, but have talent in composition, texture, paint tecniques, and love decoupage mixed media collage seemed like a natural choice for me.

i'm not sure i've found my style yet, but have done 7 or 8 pieces, all with very different feels. i'll attach my latest, which i think is also my favorite.

jolie

jolie
03-16-2002, 03:27 PM
i seem to be having trouble attaching a picture, but hope it works this time!

by the way, i forgot to mention...very nice work all. i'm impressed with the variety of tecniques.

jolie

joemajury
03-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Welcome to Wetcanvas.
Why dont you pop over to the new user Forum and announce your arrival there.
You have my e.mail address, let me know if you are still having problems posting, and I will help you.
best wishes

Joe
;) ;)

artbabe21
03-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Jolie, welcome! I hope you are able to get your images uploaded.
I am quite new myself and have received such generous help from all the people here. This is an unusually friendly & caring
community. I was told to keep the image size to 500 x 500, once I did that they uploaded fine.
Thanks Mae for beginning this thread and I have so enjoyed all the different styles of collage. Great work everybody!:clap:

jolie
03-16-2002, 04:22 PM
ok...here goes. thanks for the info, artbabe21!...i was trying to upload an image that was 1280 x 800. way too big! hopefully i've got it right now.

jolie

artbabe21
03-16-2002, 04:58 PM
:clap:
Very lovely work Jolie!! I really like the softness of it. Glad to have helped on the upload thing, even though I've just learned it meself---yep, I am an Irish lassie, well, half anyway!! Hope to see you around this delightul playground here at WC!

Mae
03-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Artbabe - love your work..very magical & thought provoking..! I hear you re "no brainer'..I actually feel the ideas pulse through me with collage..my artist inhibitions disolve and poof!..something happens that pleases me image wise that I often feel so stuck and rigid about with drawing and painting..hmmm food for thought!
and Jolie..welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed your posting also -very gentle and beautiful imagery in your collage!

strawberry
03-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Collage is something that I'm interested in trying. I have a question, though, about something that worries me. I'm putting together a portfolio to try to get into an art school. Anything I make would be for that or hopefully for public showing at some point. I see that many people are incorporating pictures into their collages. Aren't there huge copyright issues around this? If the pictures aren't your own, I mean.

artbabe21
03-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Strawberry--yes, copyright exists for collage images though it is a gray area. I was part of a collage Tarot deck collaborative with 25 other artists and since the deck was for sale we either had to use Dover clip art { copyright free} old art images 75-100
years old { drawings, paintings, etc} or draw them. I also use antique turn of the century postcards , make copies and use them. I have also been told by other artists who sell their work that using pieces of say magazine ads, that can't be recognized is OK, or doctor them so they aren't recognizable.
Cathleen~:o

jolie
03-27-2002, 03:43 PM
strawberry,

because most of the art i do is collage, copyright has always been a concern of mine as well. i agree with artbabe on using old images and have done quite a bit of research on the subject, though it's not entirely conclusive. as artbabe mentioned, it's an area of some controversy. as near as i can figure, anything prior to 1923 is public domain. you can do some searches on the net or check the library here in wetcanvas. here are some sites i've found useful as far as copyright goes:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ this is the official site
http://artsandcrafts.about.com/cs/copyrights/
http://www.funnystrange.com/copyright/index.html

by the way, i think in the past collage artists weren't necessarily as respected as other artists, perhaps because others viewed our work as unoriginal. our work takes every bit as much imagination and talent as traditional artists. in my opinion, the nature of collage is taking images created by others and reinterpreting them in a way that perhaps the creator never intended. by combining those images with interesting textures, paint effects, composition, etc we are paying tribute to the work of those we admire, as well as creating something new. as long as we respect the rights of the original creator, it's really the evolution of a great work, rather than a copy.

if you'd like to check out a few phenomenal collage artists, here are a few, starting with my favorite. there is quite a variety in style, which just goes to show what a unique medium collage is.

http://www.annbaldwin.com/
http://www.collageartist.com/
http://www.melissamccobbhubbell.com/index.html
http://www.collagefineart.com/
http://www.joan-of-arts.com/index.html

well, i've probably said more than you ever wanted to hear, but as you can probably tell, i'm quite passionate about collage art! lol good luck and i'd love to see some of your work when finished!

jolie

Mae
03-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jolie for all your info..it's helpful to be aware of these copyright concerns when collage is one's medium of choice...I have participated in discussion forums before re copyright and it is always an interesting, debated and sometimes heated issue..

Gypsy Baubo
04-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Oh, I am so pleased that I finally came upon this thread!!! I just posted one of my collages on a thread of its own (When Soul Rises).

I am in love with the freedom and richness of collage. So far I have not worried about copyrights because everything I have done has been for my own collection but it is good to learn about these things. I look forward to reading and seeing so much more!!!!

strawberry
04-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. The first big collage I try will probably not have copyright issues, as I intend to use personal memorabilia in it. But I've got an idea for another one and I'd need to use tiny pieces of many, many photographs for it and I just don't have enough of my own. Maybe I can find enough pics that are from clip art collections, friends who give me permission etc. Hope so.