PDA

View Full Version : Sept. in Ketchikan

Nancy Lee
01-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Well now, lets see if I can post two pictures in the same post.
:rolleyes:

The referance photo for this was taken last September from a cruise ship in Ketchikan. Even tho it was turning out to be a less than desirable day, it doesn't stop the fishermen. Like the last pictures I posted, I was drawn by the misty fog, and this was one of my favorite pictures I took.

I painted it in December, and it sold to one of the first people who viewed it. It was 12" x 18" unframed. 140 CP Arches.

I was not happy with the way the boat turned out, particularly the stern, and am hoping that you guys might share with me some thoughts on what I can do when I attempt to paint this again. (my husband really liked this and although it was his decision to sell when someone wanted to buy it, I'd like to re-paint it for him.)

Nancy Lee
01-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Obviously I need to try harder to understand the uploader directions.....

Anyway, the painting scanned dark, the dark wave behind the boat wasn't that dark either...

Comments, critiques of all kinds are welcome.

BCNU,
Nancy

Irina
01-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi Nacny!

I, too, like your painting as it is. I find it more interesting than the photograph, actually. :) It's more expressive... Hope you'll get the help you needed on the boat from more exprerienced painters and thanks for sharing this beautiful painting.

IrinA

tavia
01-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Hi Nancy! I like your picture very much, and agree with Irina that you've improved on nature eg I like the way you've changed the tones from blue-grey to brown-grey. (As with Els' dry docks, it reminds me of my childhood when I used to take a ferry to school and we'd drop off fishermen onto boats like this one!)

As to improvements, if you're going to repaint, I'd suggest perhaps making the boat a little less concrete and detailed. Comparing the two images, the main difference I see is that the photo boat appears to be heading more towards the viewer than in your painting; I think this is because of some little details at the prow and on the side (especially the two windows in the painting) which make the boat appear more side-on than it is in the photo.

The other thing I'd suggest would perhaps be to highlight the white water under the boat's prow more, to draw the eye?

Whatever you do, I think it's a great painting!
Tavia

NorahT
01-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Excellent painting - I can see why it sold :)

Nancy Lee
01-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Good eye Tavia, I think you may have just answered my question. It does seem out of perspective with the windows/ports at that angle, for the direction it's headed. I too see that it looks more side on in my painting.... now that you've mention it:) .

Thanks, I'll take note of your suggestions. I'm sure this will help this painting alot.

Irina and Norah, thank you for your kind words. Like I always say,:) , Isn't Wet Canvas WONDERFUL? Such a nice support system. This is better than the support from the local art guild... infact haven't been to a meeting for a couple of months.

BCNU,
Nancy

Kandiman
01-28-2002, 07:06 PM
As Irina and Tavia have said, I like your painting much better than the photo!
Great work! :clap:

The only thing I would change is the really dark line/ shadow on the right side of the very front of the boat.

I hope we get to see the next painting you do of this!

Christie
01-28-2002, 07:29 PM
This is beautiful! I love the atmosphere you have captured.

My eye was drawn to the lifeboat(?) on the back. It looks like it is missing a bottom. However, I am a prairie child born and bred, so feel free to ignore me!:D

RuthT
01-29-2002, 09:10 PM
A really lovely painting! The misty effect is very well done.

The darks on the boat struck me a little too dark, but I'd still like it hanging on my wall. :)

Rich Williams
01-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Hi Nacny I like how you have captured the feeling of the ocean in the way you rendered the water. The small things that went wrong on the boat are or will be corrected when you do the next painting.

Rich

els
01-30-2002, 05:07 AM
Very nice painting...

I agree with IrinA that the picture dont need to be repainted. BUT if you want to try again, consider adding some yellow colors, suggesting a morning sun behind the mist.

I like the boat the way its done.

ripvanblair
01-30-2002, 09:14 AM
This is brilliant Nancy I don't think you have got anything to worry about you have achieved a great deal of distance in this painting.
If you are worried about the boat the only thing is I think you've missed a bit of the stern ,but inside the boat, i've made a couple of small sketches which I'll add hope this helps
If you think of the boat as a flat figure of eight

ripvanblair
01-30-2002, 09:15 AM
and this is the bit you've missed

Nancy Lee
01-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys for all your help and encouragement.:)

Kandiman..... yup, I'll make sure you all HAVE to see the finished painting.

Christie.... Good idea.... why didn't I think of that? It may be important, ya think? LOL

Ruth... I agree.... I have it way too dark, and think I'll start with less pigment when I re-paint this.

Rich....Thanks for the encouragement. That really helps. I'll do my best.

Thanks ELS. :)

Ripvanblair..... thank you very much for sending the sketches. I remember seeing this idea someplace, but sure didn't remember it when I was painting it. Thank you.

You've all made me more excited to start on this. I was kind of putting it off, but now am looking forward to it. You guys are great.

BCNU,
Nancy

addphan
01-30-2002, 12:05 PM
really nice work!...love the white caps...i like your version better than the photo...

andy

Nancy Lee
01-30-2002, 12:10 PM
THAT'S IT.... I'M GOING RIGHT NOW TO START THAT PAINTING. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement

BCNU,
Nancy