PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Flamingo

joemajury
01-28-2002, 01:02 PM
The First picture shows the Flamingo taking shape.
I am using chicken wire for the framework.

Next, I get a piece of plywood, and drill a small hole to slot the flamingo into.
Then I use a few strips of material dipped in cement, to wind around the bottom.
You give this 24hrs to dry before continuing.

When I return to this piece on Wednesday, I will completely cover it with strips of rag dipped in pink tinted cement.
I have further plans for the base, to make it stand up to outdoor weather.

Joe

Wally's Mom
01-28-2002, 02:23 PM
Cool !

Can't wait to see the updates !

:clap: :clap:

sassybird
01-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your process on this piece. I find it fascinating. I have a special love for flamingos, and no I don't have any in my front yard.......lol At least I wouldn't put any of the plastic ones in my yard, but I would love to have something along the lines of what you are doing. Keep us updated with the pics of your progress. It really helps to "see" what a person is talking about in mediums like this.

P.S. How do you keep from tearing your hands up working with that chicken wire? Gloves I would think would be too bulky for that kind of close work.

joemajury
01-28-2002, 05:27 PM
I will post every step of the way.
I used to do this in the Pastel Forum, and people always said it helped them.
This is the first time Ive done this particular medium, at this stage I would normally Paper Mache it, but Im branching out !!
Will be just as much a surprise to me as anyone else.

Joe
OOPS !
I just read your last bit.
I wrap material around the pieces I am working on, otherwise your hands are cut to pieces, and yes, gloves are MUCH to awkward !!

Lady Grey
01-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Looks promissing - give us detailed report about the progress :)
Lady Grey

Leaflin
01-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Joe
I am so glad you are posting your progress on this.
Guess it is no secret that I love papier mache' :D
I look forward to the updates.
I am starting on a new piece myself and will post in here as I go too.

joemajury
01-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Today, I start of by cutting the material into strips which I soak in water, then wring them out.
Next I make a mix of 2 parts sand to 1 part cement and add just a little water to it.
Then I dip each piece of material into the cement

Next I wrap the wet cement pieces around the framework

When I have finished covering the framework, I wrap the piece in a plastic bag to keep it damp, that helps prevent the cement from cracking

You will see from the picture that I have put a small frame around the base of the piece and put in a layer of cement, this will help the piece stand up to outdoor use.
On Friday when the piece is dried out, you use a very thin mix of cement just to paint over the outside.
The support is there just to help support the weight until it dries out, and the pink dye just didnt work, so I cancelled that.
I may decide to paint it at the end.
See you Friday for part 3.

Joe

Karin Skold
02-03-2002, 06:47 AM
Hi Joe,
I will like to see more of this flamingo. Very intressting work.
Take care,
Karin

sassybird
02-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Jpe Joe Joe, got any more pics for us? Have you finished it yet? Waiting waiting waiting:D :evil: :angel:

joemajury
02-15-2002, 08:16 PM
I have a serious illness the the family at the moment, so I am unable to attend my centre, but I will get onto it as soon as Im back - then my next thing will be a piece in ENCAUSTIC - Molten Wax lol, like to keep experimenting !!

Joe
;) ;)

sassybird
02-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Joe, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that recovery will come along. Illness, whether our own, or in those we love is so stressful. You will be in my prayers.

joemajury
02-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Thank you for your kind words, unfortunately we already know the illness is terminal.
My uncle wasnt expected to last beyond LAST weekend, but he is still fighting it.
I get to take him out each day for a guinness, and he enjoys it so much, he WONT go lying in his bed.
Thank you!!

Joe

sassybird
02-21-2002, 02:10 PM
Joe, I hope that I go the same way, enjoying those little things in life that make me smile. I have a lot of respect for you. It takes a loving and caring heart to walk through the last days of someone we love.

(((((((((((Joe)))))))))))

joemajury
02-21-2002, 09:14 PM
It is VERY difficult, but it is the third time I have had to do this in 2 years, it doesnt get any easier, you find yourself feeling guilty because you have no time for you art, and you wish you did, and you get to LONG for a normal life where you go to your centre, then come home and have a doze!!!
But as you say, Im good at this, Ive had practice, but I STILL miss my art

Joe

Gisela
02-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your uncle, Joe! How nice that he can get out for a pint still. You know what they say about Guinness -- makes you live longer...

hugs,
Gisela

arlene
02-25-2002, 10:08 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{joe}}}}}}}}}}}}}

my prayers are with you and your uncle...

as for feeling guilty about wanting to do your art, please don't. doing our art is our therapy...so it's understandable.

sassybird
02-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Joe, how about doing some sketches of your uncle when you take him out? That would probably please him, give you a chance to do what you love, and you would have lasting memories of those times with your uncle.

joemajury
02-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the idea, but no, for several reasons.
I have NEVER sketched outside.
I HATE sketching.
I CANT sketch ( I get to cover all mine up with pastel)
and finally, I WAS taking some photos of him, to do a Portrait, and there are far to few photos of him, but the photos are terrible, not for clarity or anything, but they do show a man on the point of death, so I havent taken any more.
Im just enjoying the moment.
In the meantime, here is a picture of the Encaustic kit, I got recently, but havent had the chance to use yet.
( you can see the lovely blocks of wax in the foreground)

Joe
;) ;)

T-Rex
03-08-2002, 01:21 AM
Was checking up onthe flamingo prog......sorry to hear about your family health probs......keep the faith....you are one strong guy.....the best......karen:)

sassybird
03-11-2002, 02:08 AM
Joe, I can understand just wanting to savor the moments you have with your uncle. As with your uncle, there are far to few pictures of Dave's father. He is still in good health, and tries to stay active during the spring and summer. I take as many pics of him as I can. I know Dave and I both with treasure them later.

The encaustic kit looks interesting. I would love to see what you do with it. I've heard of your wax postcards. I hope someone post one so I can see what they look like. That is such a unique idea. Are you mailing them as is, or putting them in an envelope?

Well, ((((Joe)))) I really just wanted to tell you my thoughts and prayers are with you.