PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for details.

RUNEMASTER
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Ive been struggling with the issue of detal in pastel paintings. I cannot help but think there must be a better way like using pastel pencils or something.What do you all recommend for making those details like in hair,etc?

I know some say use the edge of a thick pastel stick, but im looking for alternatives.

Can pencils do the trick, paint???

HarvestMoon
12-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi- I use the Faber Castell Polychromes (little hard rectangle pastel sticks with sharp corners), or pastel pencils like Carb-Orthello.... I hate the idea of sharpening a fat pastel stick- you lose so much of it- I know you can add water to the dust, but I don't like to save it...

RUNEMASTER
12-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Purples.Wow! Yous so proactive in this pastel community.May i make you a buddy if your not one already? Thanks.

HarvestMoon
12-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Sure- I will be your buddy- am not the best artist by any stretch, but always have an opinion (cringe)....

RUNEMASTER
12-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Heheheh!

Paula Ford
12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
LOL...you guys!

I use pastel pencils all the time. Won a 48 pc. set of Gioconda (sp?) on Ebay and have also purchased some Derwent. Use them all the time.

Paula

K Taylor-Green
12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I use hard pastel sticks and pastel pencils for detail. Softies work, but I like finer edges.

Grasshopper
12-01-2005, 02:51 PM
I use nupastels and pastel pencils, too, for details. Believe it or not, depending on the support I'm using I've even been able to do some fine detailing with colored pencil when doing pastels. I don't know if anyone advocates this but it works for me.

KJSCL
12-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Definitely go with pastel pencils. They are absolutely great for fine details especially eyes or if you doing smaller paintings. The lion and cheetah (9"x12") in my signature line were done primarily in pastel pencils. CarbOthello, Derwent, Bruynzeel and Faber Castell are all excellent pastel brands.

RUNEMASTER
12-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks just got some pastel pencils , and some hard pastels.This should improve my stuff.heheh!.

Getting motivated again.

scall0way
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
I have put some pastel pencils on my Xmas wishlist at DickBlick, but since no one in the family seems interested in my wishlist I don't image I'll get them for a gift. In the meantime I have been using colored pencils as necessary, but do my best to avoid wanting that level of detail.

E-J
12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I find that when I'm ready to put sharp details into a painting, pastel pencils aren't any good because they end up scratching into the previous layers of pastel instead of sitting on top. I tend to use NuPastels or Conté sticks for detail or, yes, the broken edge of a thick pastel stick. Another option, if you have a nice thick buildup of pastel, is to use a rubber tool called a Colour Shaper, or the edge of a plastic eraser, to push the colour into the line or shape you want.

Debbie ... post that wishlist up on the fridge or frame it and sit it on top of the tv ... it will get noticed :D