PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for December, 2005

Khadres
12-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Wow....we're already staring Christmas in the face! Where did the year go anyway??? Oh, well, it's time to get those special Christmas cards done and in the mail, festivities planned, presents bought and wrapped, wish lists to create (lots of art supplies, I'm guessing), and a jillion other things that go along with the season. At least one goal for this month should be to enjoy and appreciate what we have, including those we love and hold dear. For some of you, it may be the first Christmas without someone...may the pain of your loss be healed by the spirit of the season, as well.

For me, my usual goal for December is just to survive with sense of purpose and sense of humor intact. Right about now is when I suddenly realize that I had about six neat ideas for projects which it's already too late to get done. There was a time when I'd have undertaken all those projects anyway and managed to wear myself out to the point where I was on the verge of total collapse...this state was usually followed with a really nasty cold, flu, etc.

Now that I'm approaching "old curmudgeon" age, I have enough sense to give such aspirations up and settle for maybe one project...the one I can do in short order and live to enjoy the outcome. So far, I haven't decided which project it will be. Obviously, my stress level isn't high enough yet...I will be working on that!

Anyway, I thought maybe we could share with each other those small or large plans as a way of sharing the hustle and bustle and fun of Christmas. Some of you may have celebrations other than the birth of Christ to enjoy, and we'd be interested in learning about those, as well. I've always loved learning about other people's little traditions and plans and, as artists, how they work their creative magic into the season of peace.

So what are your Yuletide plans? Do any of them include sending yummy cookies to old curmudgeons? (hint, hint) I sure hope Santa remembers how much I like pastels and pastel paper and books on pastels and videos about pastels, etc. Other women want expensive jewelry...me I want that huge set of GAs!!!

khourianya
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
My goal....Next November, I want to have a show and sale with at least 75 small paintings. This includes paintings under 8X10 that I have done in the past year too, but that is still a ways to go. I think I can do it, though so that is all I am going to concentrate on.

This will include planning, advertising, framing etc.

I have decided not to renew my membership with Pastel Artists of Canada, but I will still be involved with the FCA (though I am wondering whether to get my chapter membership renewed since the new location for the meetings is REALLY far from my house) I may just go for a national membership and stay on top of what is happening locally for workshops.

In 2006 - I want to attend at least one workshop, though preferably more.

HarvestMoon
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Every time I set a goal, I don't do it. So my goal is to not set a goal, so perhaps I WILL do more painting.... I really would love to NOT do all the decorating and shopping for Christmas, but everyone would be disappointed and mad!!

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
...me I want that huge set of GAs!!!

:evil: Just think what that looks like to someone who has no idea what you are talking about in reality.

Me, my goal for December is to set a goal for January - :D

No seriously, I need to really think about where I am going this next year - more shows, more organizations, more workshops????? Or do I just paint and enjoy myself? To push myself? Or not? What is this bloody urge to do more, more, more and find myself being miserable trying to achieve goals that I think I need to do, but do I really have to. If I were 30 again, maybe - now that I am approaching older middle age, I am being to wonder what is the point? This is not artist burnout, just life burnout - :eek:

Sorry for the downer - must be the weather. :cat:

HarvestMoon
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Kat- I feel exactly the same way. I have restarted my life over and over, due to jobs, or lack of them- gone back to school again and again..... ad nauseum.... now health issues and lack of work mean I can't really work now at all- which is highly upsetting. And my art is just not anywhere near what I would wish- and it is at best an expensive hobby for me. So I will soon have another birthday- very nearly 50- and I am tired of starting all over...... so lets go on a cruise LOL

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Linda, I've got you by 12 years - heck, you are in the prime. When I was 50, newly divorced, I felt I could lick the world! But the cruise sounds like a good deal too - we could ruminate on what we could have/should have done and get it over with and get on with it. :)

Orchidacea
12-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh, Kat and Linda, I think the darkness of the approaching solstice has got you down! I thought you'd been pretty quiet lately, Kat. My wish for both of you is that by the end of this month--as the days start getting longer again!--you both will feel renewed. It's pretty natural to want to hibernate this time of year, unless you live in the tropics. I think that's why Christmas lights are such a big deal--it's dark out!--and those sparkling lights really lift our flagging spirits.

My goals are about the same. I've found a teacher, I will be joining a life drawing group, and I have two paintings going in a show in January. I'm going to continue on this course, and keep painting or drawing every day.

khourianya
12-01-2005, 11:15 PM
I forgot to mention up there that my yuleplans only include one thing - NO TRAVELLING! This year people get to come to us if they want to see us. I don't think people are taking me serious on that but it's what's happening. I have 10 days off around xmas and new years so I am looking forward to painitng and relaxing. I guess I have to make a turkey n there somewhere too, but that will be easy!

Orchidacea
12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I forgot to mention my holiday plans too! My son and I will be building another gingerbread house...here's a photo of last year's effort:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/41088-GB_House_2.jpg

His plans for this year are becoming so elaborate, we may ahve to hire a contractor to build the thing, lol.

scall0way
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Wow Kim, What a super-cool gingerbread house. I remember making a couple gingerbread houses with my son when he was little. They were fun but nothing I would show anyone pictures of, LOL.

My artistic goals for December have to be small as I have my dad spending the month with me, so very little free time to paint. So I will make a little goal just to paint *anything* - even one picture. Though the month is young so I hope I'll get more done than that.

E-J
12-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Kat, I understand exactly how you are feeling ... even though I'm only 35 :eek: Do I get to cast a vote in the "what should Kat's new goal be?" poll? If so, it has to be: just paint and enjoy yourself!

Cori - I can't imagine what the framing costs will be for 75 paintings!!

My goals for November went tits up, if you'll pardon my language. BUT I am working on a dog portrait commission now, and my December goal is to finish that, arrange to have it framed for my client, and make some money (hurray)! I've got a double portrait commission lined up after that, but I'm not rushing to get there. I need to allow myself time to make as fine a job of each commission as I know I can.

khourianya
12-02-2005, 04:02 PM
That's why I am going to take almosta year to paint and frame - I'm only going to work small and should recoup my costs at that. Figure I save money on things like marketting because I can design my own really professional flyers, I have contacts fror printing costs ect. Small frames aren't THAT expensive and I can work to standard sizes.

I figure if I buy 3 frames every payday between then and now, I will have it covered (and if I can paint 3 paintings every 2 weeks between then and now - I will be even more set)

CindyW
12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey, you all. I've started my husband's gift painting of him and my daughter walking in a field...I should be able to post it within a week or so...BETTER! since it's his present. Ah, it feels GRAND to have the chalks in my hand since it's been since August. I was going to paint Mom a pic of her childhood home but if I want to keep some sanity this month, I guess that's for Mother's Day.

Whoa, Cori! What a goal! I LOVE it! Go girl! Are you going to post them all together on your website before the show or keep them out of sight (off website) til the big day?
Kim, that is so cute!!! Look at that little water wheel! The life drawing class sounds very inspiring and very fulfilling. Share!
Kat, that is the question I've asked myself lately. Do I want to create for: the customer, money for the car/mortgage payment, winning show ribbons/prizes, recognition, the sense of belonging to a group...etc..?? or do I want to create for the simple joy and pure love of it? Sigh. No answer fits completely, really.
E-J, how is the dog painting coming along? If you've posted it in the studio, I haven't been around much lately to see it.
Debbie, you've done quite a bit since you came onboard! Hope you have a nice month with your dad.
Purples, what about a cruise for the family instead of gifts and decorating? My in-laws have suggested this a couple times.....guess alot of people do this.

Happy December and all that goes with it, goalie people!
Cindy

Ron Biggs
12-09-2005, 08:16 AM
My goals for November went out the window, and December is threatening to go the same way.:mad:

I didnít do any painting in Scotland, this may sound like a contradiction but it was to wet and cold to paint outside but to nice to stay inside (it was cold with intermittent showers and sunshine). So my plein air goal will have to wait till spring now I think.

Did manage to take a few photos (about 1000), have posted first batch in The Shutterbug Pub http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310797 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310797)

Decembers goals, Iím with Kat,
my goal for December is to set a goal for January - that and finish the painting I started in October.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
12-09-2005, 08:42 AM
LOL - I hadn't been in here to read the reaction to my post. E-J, of course, you get to vote, and so does everyone else! Then maybe I don't have to make a decision. You would think that at this time in my life I could at least make a few decisions, like "what do I want to be when I grow up?" But I am there, I think, and still don't know. :)

I've thought of a few goals for 2006 - will post them on New Year's day (or thereabouts). Ta for now.

pjo
12-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi All, Well I didn't even get here all of November and now its December 9th. So...by goals have gone by the wayside also. For December, I have about 3 or 4 paintings started that I would love to finish, and I think that would be all for me this month. As for Christmas, I love the season and the reason for it. I tend to get too caught up in all the preparations, and lose that joy. This year should be quieter for us than usual since both my children won't be able to be with us, but we still have all of my husbands family nearby and all of mine also. Also for the first year in quite a while I'm not decorating the house nearly as much. We sold our home and are in our rental house for a while and most of our christmas stuff is in storage, but I do have a tree up and one of my nativity snow globes. I just made some iced almonds, and am planning on making a batch of cookies to send to my kids in the next day or two along with their gifts.

Ron-Scotland sounds wonderful, even if you didn't get any painting done, it must be wonderful to be able to travel.

Cindy-your painting for your husbands sounds so nice, a father/daughter memory for him for always.

Cori-you have set quite a big goal, or at least it would be for me. But you seem energetic and able to accomplish it too. Keep it up.

EJ-I with you I think we all should enjoy the painting process, and not feel the need to drive ourselves so much that it takes the joy out of the process of growing, but our goals should just nudge us, and help us to clarify where we would like to go.

Kim-I love the gingerbread house. We used to make candy houses every year when my kids were at home, it created a wounderful memory for them and me.

Kyle-I hope that you will feel refreshed and renewed soon. It's tough feeling "life burnout", I think we've all been there before, but thankfully this too will pass. Hang in there.

Kat-I like your goal of surviving with a sense of humor and and sense of purpose. I did the same thing you did which is to get this close to Christmas and realize I won't have time to work on the projects I'd semi-planned. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to sit back and relax some then.

E-J
12-09-2005, 09:33 AM
E-J, how is the dog painting coming along? If you've posted it in the studio, I haven't been around much lately to see it.

Hell Cindy ... I am really struggling with the dog commission at the moment. Right from day 1, it's been my hardest painting experience EVER. I last posted my progress 2 days ago but have been pulling out my hair since yesterday, when I wasted about five hours painting and re-painting the same area and ended up brushing it all off for the seventh time. :eek: When you hit a block like that, you just have to stop painting and start afresh the next day, I think. I should have stopped earlier, but I got into a "What if it all goes wrong??" panic and couldn't leave it alone. If I come out of this commission with my sanity intact, I will give some serious consideration to how I approach them in future - and even if I want to take on any more commissions at all ...

I've started my husband's gift painting of him and my daughter walking in a field...I should be able to post it within a week or so...BETTER! since it's his present. Ah, it feels GRAND to have the chalks in my hand since it's been since August.

Wow, that's a long time away from your pastels! Must feel great to be getting dusty again. Have you posted your husband's pic yet?

CindyW
12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi E-J...I commented on your commission in the studio. Yah, that's a good idea to back away for a bit to give your brain some time to recoup from its very intense concentration on this one. Yah, I posted my pic over there. It looks better on my easel than the picture I posted...I'm actually pretty happy with the way this one is turning out. Mostly because I know my client, my husband, will love it no matter what! I know your frustration is trying to do the best you can for someone other than a family member and that can be very tense. It's looking really nice, even so!
The length of time away from art is getting increasingly frustrating and I'm trying to make small changes here and there in daily life to include art time. It may be some years before I can get where I really can put in the time I'd be satisfied with since my daughter is still quite young.

PJO, the holidays are hectic beyond reason sometimes. It's great that you can take it a bit easier this year but I'm sorry you won't be seeing your kids. That's great that you might be able to work on 4 works this month, can't wait to see what you do!

Ron, hopefully this thread helps you as much as it does me. I haven't picked up pastels since August so goals keep getting pushed to the next month. We'll keep at it, though, you know? Looking forward to your October painting in the studio!
Cindy

CindyW
12-09-2005, 04:00 PM
OH my....the scene outside my window right now is in complete contrast to the scene of my summer painting over in the studio.
We're having a white out, blizzard conditions! with at least a foot out there now.
Hope you all are having a nice day where YOU are! :)
Cindy