PDA

View Full Version : Sketches AND Doodles

Nickel
11-30-2005, 11:30 PM
What and Why of a Sketchbook?

What is a sketchbook and why would I want to do a sketchbook? Is it just a bunch of scribble stuff? Will it take too much time and become a chore? Is there any benefit in it for me?

So asking myself these questions I thought I’d share some of the answers I found. If you already keep a sketchbook will you share some of your insight with us? If you want to start a sketchbook I hope this thread will help get you started.

So what is a sketchbook? It is a source of reference material. It is a source for inspiration. But can’t I just take a photograph of something or use cutouts from magazines; of course I can. But sketching will help improve my drawing skills. It will help me to see. As sketching is a very intimate activity, it is also a record of my struggles and success. It is my personal history.

Heavy stuff I know, but sometimes we artist do feel like we have the weight of the world on our shoulders. A sketch is your reaction to your experiences. A camera can’t and never will catch that.

Nickel
11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Searching WC for sketchbook information, I found these three articles that will help to get started with sketching.

This first article is a cool idea, not only can you make a sketchbook, but you can make a few extras for gifts.

"Make Your Own Sketchbook"
Author: Rosemarie_Lütken, Contributing Editor
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2623/184/index.php

I needed a crash course on types of papers! If you do to, this article got me up to speed!

"Types of Drawing Papers/Surfaces"
Author: Murray_Cholowsky, Contributing Editor
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/520/

I can't say this any better from Larry’s Article :

"Sketching is the aerobics, the stretching...the weight program behind my becoming and maintaining the demands that I place upon myself as an artist."

“Sketching - Dictation from Life (L1/11)
Author: Larry Seiler, Contributing Editor
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing/Sketching/

Nickel
11-30-2005, 11:44 PM
If you want to know more about an old master, many museums exhibits now have sketches along with finished works.

You will first attempt in a drawing
to give to the eye an indication of the intention and the invention
which you first made in your imagination,
then proceed to take away and
add until you are satisfied

Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2005/39040-davincimadonnacat.jpg

Madonna and Child with Cat.
C. 1478-80.
Pen and ink, “5 1/2x3 3/4”
British Museum London.

Previous to Leonardo, drawings were precise and meticulous. This may have been because of the Early Renaissance status quo or it may have been because vellum, the surface that was used to draw upon was expensive. By the mid 15th century, printing resulted in cheap paper so drawings became more common and more spontaneous.

rosebard
12-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Nickel, thanks for the links. I will start my sketchbook today. I think I have everything around for it. I dont usually sketch much, but I have noticed that it is important for me to do it as a practice daily. Probably the sketchbook is what is missing for me to get disciplined and have fun with the sketching practice. I will surely give it a try.

A sketch is your reaction to your experiences. A camera can’t and never will catch that.

I will keep this in mind for my inspiration. Can I write it on my sketchbook cover?

:)

rosebard
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
I just finished making my sketchbook. It looks cute to me. Just need to fill it in with sketches and doodles!! I used a variety of papers I have around.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/54461-photos_004.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/54461-photos_005.jpg

:D :wave:

Nickel
12-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Great Job Rose, you are way ahead of me!!! I hope to start working to put my book together on Saturday.

So where did you put the quote ;) LOL

Your book is too pretty to put anything on the outside, can't wait to see what you do on the inside.....:)

Nickel
12-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Oh Rose, what size did you make it?

artbyjune
12-01-2005, 04:06 PM
That's a lovely sketchbook, Rose.

Its cool idea, Nickel. I'd like to try it too. A good way of coming up with ideas/compositions for classical paintings. Now just what do you put in a 'classical' subject painting??

rosebard
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks Nickel and June!

Nickel, it is 7'' by 9,5'' or 18 cm by 24 cm. :) Cant wait to see yours too, outside and inside. :) :) :)

Hi June!! Good luck in yours too!

Titanium
12-01-2005, 04:44 PM
A sketchbook should be a natural response.

It's when your sitting somewhere and anything
of interest attracts your eye.
Then you just whip out your pencil,open the
book and draw.

My last two sketchbooks[I have been handmaking
my books for years now]are simply the paper that
came as packaging.
Ironed and steamed,glued and stitched,with hard
cardboard covers,covered with cloth cut from
the backs of the shirts I wore when I mixed
cement for building the house.

When the cement ate the front and the tears
became unstitchable ,the shirts were washed
and the backs cut out.

I keep a book for my private sanguine studies
and a smaller one for travelling around.

Hope you all enjoy your future sketches.
Later.
Titanium

Nickel
12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
One of the thoughts I have for one of my new sketchbooks will involve my study of the painting from the Tutta l’opera del Caravaggio online exhibition of Magdalene.This is the link to the home page of the exhibit. http://www.caravaggio.rai.it/index_en.htm

Below in this post is a crop of the bottom left hand corner. You can see a string of broken pearls along with several pieces of golden jewelry, one a necklace the other a bracelet, and beautiful baroque pearl earrings adorn with black silk bows laying on a stone tile floor with a flask of amber colored liquid.

This is where I will start my first book.
I’ll do a few sketches of the still life from Caravaggio’s painting.
In the meantime I am also going to build the shadow box and construct the scene from things I have here. (Link is below for how to do this):)
Eventually I would like to work on sketches of her hands, they are so pretty.
Drapery studies will follow and then of course her face.
I love her long beautiful red hair.
It will be good to do quick studies of real, normal, everyday people.
I hope that as I progress into this sketchbook that I stay aware of what I am seeing.
One focus will be to see and record the shadows and lights.
From that point, I may expand this sketchbook to include color studies.
The goal is to complete a new classical work based on the story of this painting in the style of Caravaggio’s Magdalene.

June I hope this gives you some ideas as to how I am planning to incorporate classical themes into my sketchbook. I like having structure to my thoughts even if my lifestyle is rather chaotic at times.

Titanium thanks for the insight to your way of making a sketchbook. I try to also recycle everything in some useful way. I agree that sketching should be spontaneous. I plan to make a few books, one like you carry around and then some with planned subject matter like the one I write about above. I hope to show both styles as they become real objects and just not my thoughts.

Rose thanks for the quick reply about your size. I don’t yet know what size/s I am going to do.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/39040-magadetailjewels.jpg

Magdalene (detail)
1596-97
Oil on canvas, width of detail: 30 cm
Galleria Doria-Pamphili, Rome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/39040-magafull2.jpg

Caravaggio.
Penitent Magdalene.
c.1593-1594.
Oil on canvas.
Galleria Doria Pamphilj, Rome, Italy.

If you notice the dates are different on the two different sites? I don't know which is correct but I will find out best I can.

Here is the link to the article for building a still life box.

"Stage Your Still Life Painting"
Author: Ruth_Cox, Contributing Editor
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2514/127/

Best Regards Nickel

Titanium
12-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Nickel,

here are a few sketches.

The first is of a forest near me.It is set
to be tonally accurate for 3.00 clock in
the evening.I had no eraser and used
a 9b pencil,I forgot the eraser home.
Took about 20 or 30 minutes.
Actual size of page -approx.6 x 7"

I can paint an image from this information,
but to make it colour correct,would have to
return for an oil study.

On the second half of the page is an idea
image-the lantern.Just an idea for a painting
from my head.
Good enough for painting a basic shape,but
not tonally correct.

Second image.
From my bigger sketch book - page -13 x 8"

This is a copy I am presently working on.
The figure is a quick outline to get familiar
with the image.
With this knowledge I then drew the image
freehand onto the panel[gesso]in a translucent
burnt sienna.
[Will show the painting when I am more finished.]

Since the image I am copying is just the Virgin
with a blue background,I added in landscape.
Note the trees above her.
Just ideas from my head of trees.
Not tonally correct,but shapewise what I wanted.

Third image.

This 4 x 3 " oval is what I decided on,though I
dropped the oval and went to a rectangle.

I thought it would help if I explained how a
sketch can be used.Though the word -study-
can also be applied to my first entry.
Hope this helps your topic.
Titanium

* One for fun pottery design

joyceg
12-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Nickel, thanks for the link to Ruth Cox's box set-up. What a good idea. I made a sketch book some years ago using a Japanese book binding technique, it is 6x8, covered in a thin cardboard and the string is brought around to the top in a loop that allows it to be hung on a nail. Apparently it is from a technique for a ledger book that was used in olden days in Japan to keep accounts. I took a class in Japanese book binding and made many books that I gave away to family members. We did one covered in gift wrap (there are some really beautiful ones) and sewn together with various yarns or threads. One I used for a long time for practicing Calligraphy.

Rose, I love the way you have made the closure for your book.

Titanium and Nickel, thanks for the inspirational suggestions for using the sketchbook. Although when I made the ledger book, I used it for sketching on a road trip that I went on but I mostly just doodle in it now. I'll have to resurect (sp?) it and buckle down to some serious sketching. I have many painting ideas come in and out of my mind but don't get to them and then they are lost.

patdzon
12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Titanium,

Interesting set of sketches you have there! I'm enjoying the tree studies, as well as that thumbnail/composition study of the Virgin Mary.

Patrick

Anita Murphy
12-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I found this thread from a posting of Rose's in another forum. Interesting reading!

At art school we were encouraged to use what they called sketch books but were more like journals. It was not just a place to sketch, work on ideas for other work, but also a place for writing, sticking in pictures of things that we liked, exhibition programmes, anything that activated our imaginations and minds. I tried out paint colours, media, techniques as well as sticking in reference photos of my own, articles from magazines that interested me, philosophy excerpts that applied to my work even objects such as leaves or pieces of fabric. Our sketch books became great bulging blocks of information. A large part of our final mark for the degree was based on our sketchbooks - it showed research and development. I go back to these all the time for inspiration and have been seriously considering going back to using one as it helps enormously with artist block!

Nickel
12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Your drawing of the Virgin is beautiful. Titanium, thank you so much for posting your ideas. It is so neat to look at your drawings and sketches. I love reading about the time of day, the size of paper, the color study, the amount of time spent, and your thought processes in design. After I think for awhile, you know I will have more questions:rolleyes: Your so cool to share:)

Hi MrsBiltz, didn't Ruth Cox do an excellent job in demostrating her box set-up! I am going to work on building a still life box this weekend. It is awful but I thought I would try out using my dauhter's Barbie dolls for models to test light effects. I have a closet full of fabrics to use for drapery effects. I am excited about the journey....

I would really love to see your book and learn more about the Japanese book binding techniques you learned. Indeed Very Intriguing!!!! Often people forget that there is other art other than Western Influence.

Nickel:)

Nickel
12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Titanium,

Interesting set of sketches you have there! I'm enjoying the tree studies, as well as that thumbnail/composition study of the Virgin Mary.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, hope you will join us and start a set of sketches!:wave:

Nickel
12-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I found this thread from a posting of Rose's in another forum. Interesting reading!

At art school we were encouraged to use what they called sketch books but were more like journals. It was not just a place to sketch, work on ideas for other work, but also a place for writing, sticking in pictures of things that we liked, exhibition programmes, anything that activated our imaginations and minds. I tried out paint colours, media, techniques as well as sticking in reference photos of my own, articles from magazines that interested me, philosophy excerpts that applied to my work even objects such as leaves or pieces of fabric. Our sketch books became great bulging blocks of information. A large part of our final mark for the degree was based on our sketchbooks - it showed research and development. I go back to these all the time for inspiration and have been seriously considering going back to using one as it helps enormously with artist block!

Hi Anita, it so nice for you to join us and tell about how your sketchbooks came together and how useful they are to you now!

I would love to browse through a big bulging sketchbook. It has got to be a special experience to just relive all the ideas and memories. :) Sounds delightful!!!!!!!!!!

Nickel

Pars
12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Nickel,

Still around :evil:

I've been using journals and sketchbooks for years, journals the longest, sketchbooks for about 10 years or so. I just doodle in them mostly, but I also use it to collect ideas for a piece of work. As I am primarily a collage artist, I find setting up a variety of compositions before the glue comes out very helpful and constructive.

Here's a link you may enjoy with some "huge" journals (sketchbooks)

www.johncopeland.com

:wave:

rosebard
12-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Great link Pars, thanks. I will take sometime to browse it but it sees worthy the time for inspiration.

Titanium so cool to see your sketches. Hi Patrick!!

Hi Anita!! So are you starting a new sketchook/journal yourself?!

Joyce, Any chance we get to see sketchbook you made with the japanese book binding technique?!

I used a variety of papers I had around. I am excited about this, but not really sure how I will use it. I have from normal sketch paper to a watercolor, cp, ink and pastel papers. I for now, think of using it to practice facial and body parts. But who knows how things will turn out.

Didnt know when I would start using it. But today I had to go out to a near town to get my son school application for next year. So I had to wait on the bus stop for while and thought to take it with me. And this is what I came up with. My own hand holding the sketchbook and the photo of my hubby in 1978 b/w that I am using to do a portrait. I used the photo to practice a bit before I can move to it and finish the actual painting. :)

At the bus stop today....:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2005/54461-photos_014.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2005/54461-photos_015.jpg

joyceg
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi Everyone--Rose, good sketches and clever of you to keep the book with you. I used to do a lot of sketching when watching TV. Wish I had a scanner, I could scan some of the pages from the book I have on JBB (Japanese Book Binding). But much of it is similar to what we have been shown on this thread, differences are in the attaching, i.e., wrapping, sewing, no gluing, etc. When I find any (they're somewhere in boxes in the garage) I'll photo them to show you all.

jo_b
12-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Nickel,
just wanted to stop in and say Thanks for adding such a great thread. I think it is soooooo important for all artists to practice their drawing skills as much as possible, and this is a great reinforcement for that.

Jodi

patdzon
12-02-2005, 11:32 PM
here are some selections from my sketchbook

studies of my hands
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/patdzon/handsss.jpg
a self-portrait
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/patdzon/SPort.jpg

Titanium
12-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Hey Patrick,

really well done.Much stronger than the
images you left at the other lists.

Is that a self portrait?

It will be interesting to see how you
handle paint.
Keep on posting.
Titanium

artbyjune
12-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Those arm and hand studies are very impressive, Pat!!

patdzon
12-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey Patrick,

really well done.Much stronger than the
images you left at the other lists.

Is that a self portrait?

It will be interesting to see how you
handle paint.
Keep on posting.
Titanium

Hey Titanium,

Thanks. Yeah, that's a recent Self-portrait. I rarely do SP's because I don't consider myself much of an interesting person to draw. Haha.

As for paint, that's pretty much new territory for me, but I'm starting slowly with oils. For the meantime, I'm still putting more focus on drawing. I've been reading Harold Speed's drawing book, nice stuff.

How about you? I want to see more of your work!

Regards,

Patrick

patdzon
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Those arm and hand studies are very impressive, Pat!!

Thanks!!!

Titanium
12-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello Patrick,

you would have read by now that my technique for
painting uses, a cartoon[4 x 4' brown paper]
and oil study [about 9 x 11"]and straight into
the painting.Often recording the information on
the palette for immediate transfer.

Okay that said.
I still don't have a reduction programme,but I
can scan directly from my sketch books.

So from my Sanguine book.

[1]
This is how I evolved the Bargue to keep my eye
accurate on 2d images[usually interesting faces
in newspaper[black and white]clippings.
about 6x7"

[2]Then to keep up my 3d - from life

[3]Then from my head.
I am still working on this one.

Apologies,sanguine is not easy to scan.

Later,on I'll drop a few more images on how
I record ideas for paintings.
Enjoy.[To everyone]
Titanium

Titanium
12-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh Patrick,

as you can see my handwriting is not as beautiful
as yours,so I use a symbol/cartouche.
Later.
Titanium

patdzon
12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Oh Patrick,

as you can see my handwriting is not as beautiful
as yours,so I use a symbol/cartouche.
Later.
Titanium

Titanium,

So is mine! Actually, I'm still working on my signature. A symbol is much cooler.

Nice sketches! Such delicate and fine lines.

Later,

Patrick

Nickel
12-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Zoe great link!!!!!! Very Inspiring…Thanks
Now where are yours???????
Your gonna miss the snow at Christmas time…..and Fifth Avenue Glitter and Glow

Rose, great start to your new sketch and doodle book. Like how you’ve drawn Gui and sketched an artist’s hands at work!!!

Hi Joyce, I am afraid to go into the boxes in the garage. You’re a braver woman than I….

Hi Jodi, thanks for stopping by to say howdy!

Hi June, those are some arms Patrick sketched….

Patrick, how did you sketch your arms? Where you just looking at them while you sketched or did you do it looking in a mirror? You have very strong arms! And it is nice to meet you by your self-portrait! You show a great personality!
Would like to see more……

Titanium, you rock you know. I am just absorbing all ……the girls you drew, are they from life or memory?

Very kind and beautiful…

Made my first book late last night. Carboard is hard to mold, book is bigger than the paper, and then I couldn't figure out what kind of string to use, so found some yarn, used a whole stick of glue, and some scrap fabric.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-wcImage023.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-wcImage025.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-wcImage028.jpg

The book cover is 12x7 inches and paper is 6x9 inches.

Nickel

Nickel
12-03-2005, 11:46 AM
This morning's first doodles on notebook paper, each less than one minute

1)man wanting breakfast

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-Image031.jpg

2) man waiting for breakfast

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-Image030.jpg

3) man getting breakfast

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/39040-Image029.jpg

Nickel

patdzon
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Patrick, how did you sketch your arms? Where you just looking at them while you sketched or did you do it looking in a mirror? You have very strong arms! And it is nice to meet you by your self-portrait! You show a great personality!
Would like to see more……

Nickel,

Those arms were done in front of the mirror. Otherwise, the arms would be too large for the page if I was just looking straight at them, as I tend to draw everything in the same size/scale as I see it. Another reason for using a mirror is that, it's important that you see your subject as a whole, not each part of it individually.

Thanks!

Patrick

rosebard
12-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Nickel nice sketchbook you made!! :) Pretty too.

as I tend to draw everything in the same size/scale as I see it.

That is a great tip. Thanks. I tend to have the same problem. :) Cool sketches. I think you have a face worthy to study. :) Though I dont really tend to study my own face. But I guess the only model left who can stop for while is myself. So, I got not other choice but to start study my own face. :)

Eek, I hope I dont scare anyone!!

Sam Cree
12-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I do quite a bit of sketching, but usually prefer larger paper, so I tend to break out the 18 x 24 pads and use them instead of a sketchbook. Even if I'm working up an idea for a painting or a woodcarving, that's usually what I do. I guess it's less organized than using a book, but it suits me for now. I'll usually take selected pieces and pin them up for awhile as kind of a record of where I've been artistically.

I do have a couple of smaller sketchbooks that live in my car or my suitcase when travelling, so if I have an idea I can work on it, or if I see something, I can draw it.

patdzon
12-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Nickel nice sketchbook you made!! :) Pretty too.

That is a great tip. Thanks. I tend to have the same problem. :) Cool sketches. I think you have a face worthy to study. :) Though I dont really tend to study my own face. But I guess the only model left who can stop for while is myself. So, I got not other choice but to start study my own face. :)

Eek, I hope I dont scare anyone!!

It's not really a problem. It's an approach. You can always use comparative measuring if you want to make things any size you want, whether it be small or large, but that takes time if you want to get the proportions correct.

WV.Artistry
12-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm afraid my sketchbook is about as sexy as an accounting journal, hard exterior, black, a ringbinder, without indication of the content. The paper is multi-purpose, rough surface but not as rough as watercolor paper, acid free, about a 70lb weight. I prefer the 11"x14" journal, but can't always find them, so my current one is 8.5"x11".

I used to have a black shopping bag from a mall store that cost $1, but it wore out eventually, looking pitiful, so now I keep it in something that looks like laptop bag (not sure what it is). I have my tools : charcoals, chalks, chamois, sharpener, sandpaper, stumps, etc., in a black non-descript plastic container about 4"x8"x3" that looks like a fishing tackle box and cost about $7. I keep the sketchbook, the container, and my 11"x14" portfolio in the bag. The portfolio is like everthing else, a statement of interior vs. exterior, but it's the best $12 I ever spent on anything as an artist.

I keep the bag in my auto, take it with me for a coffee, even movies, mostly everywhere I can, and usually annoy myself by lugging it around, not doing any sketchwork at all. But that creates a habit, so if the moment comes, I have it available.

I number my sketches as I go .. it's helps with a perspective, to ask myself "where am I?". I made a deliberate decision in the summer of 2004 to improve my skills -- I've always hated drawing, envious and equally amazed at those who have seemingly a natural ability to draw. I still hate drawing, so I call what I do : sketches.

Sketch #001 : 2004 July
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/62433-Sketch_1.jpg

Sketch #114 : 2005 November
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2005/62433-Sketch_114.jpg

Nickel
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Patrick thanks for stating how you drew your arms. I guess I understand drawing the whole and not the parts. I don’t see too good off in a distances and I don’t see too good up close and I don’t wear my glasses, so maybe I am doing that naturally cause I can’t see. Sometimes I feel like well I am not going to say..lol.. your too young too know and I am too old to tell.

Rose a study of you is a good thing. Of course Gui can’t run away right now so you can study him too!

Hi Sam, missed you around here, thanks for stopping by!
18x24 is a pretty big pad. So what do you use charcoal, pen, pencil?
Have you done any more sketches of Bush? I’ve never seen your paintings before, hint, hint!

Hi Richard, the outside might not be sexy, but I have seen some of what was inside your book! There is a big difference between #1 and #114.

I’ve spent the better part of this afternoon with trying to setup a still life of the Penitent Magdalene. I’ve come to the conclusion I am wasting my time trying to get the light the same as the painting because I get one part right the other is off. Size of the box may have something to do with it; I don’t have a clue and frankly have cut the box to shreds trying. After awhile I fold my cards when I am losing, quit the game and go home. But my nature is not to accept defeat and will retry after recharging.

Note and notebook paper, #2 pencil

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/39040-Image039.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/39040-Image040.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/39040-Image041.jpg

Nickel

DLJohnson
12-05-2005, 02:11 AM
:D My kinda thread

I love my sketchbooks. They are all the boring black kind with the wire rings. I have been using charcoal on newsprint a lot lately but may be over it now, lol.

I would love to make one of these but even better (for moi) is a dealie I saw in a Claudia Nice book. A sketchbook cover made out of old jeans that holds the book, pens, pencils, charcoal, mini watercolor, etc. All very small and compact.

I LOVE seeing your sketches so I will toss my latest in. Keep in mind all are 5-10 minutes goofing off kind. :o

Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/7846-crabapplesp.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/7846-egg1.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA, like an egg would sit that way :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/7846-egg2.jpg

Yes the nose is, well, stupid. Oh well, next :cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/7846-mouthnose1.jpg

Titanium
12-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Ah,but DLJohnson,the nose is so
recognizable,Vanderpoel isn't it?
Thumbs up!

Nickel,
not to fuss,I have trouble seeing far as
well,that's why I can mass paint easily.

What I do have is microscope vision and
am a terror when looking at finished
jewellery -hahaha

Additionally,because I have Chinese genes,
my face is broad and getting glasses to fit is
a pain.All I ever wanted was a pair
of real gold John Lennons [my sweat eats
cheap metal frames,changing to Titanium
--natcherally -chuckle.]

Also don't have the standard European
nosebridge,though I am half English,so
I have to strap the glasses onto my face.
[Oily skin as well,keeps me wrinkle free.]

Age has nothing to do with it hahaha.

Enjoying seeing your sketches.
Later.
Titanium

rosebard
12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Resting after Lunch!

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1457/photos1uj.jpg

Nickel
12-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Donna, I got some eggs that look just like yours.....really...very cool sketches!

Titanium, I've got some frames like you need.

They hook over the ears.

At least I think I still have them.

Hey Rose, glad you put some clothes on while resting.....kids around...:p

Nickel

Nickel
12-05-2005, 10:52 PM
From this morning

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/39040-Image044.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/39040-Image046.jpg

and tonight inspired by Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4111166&postcount=34

Nickel :)

DLJohnson
12-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Ah,but DLJohnson,the nose is so
recognizable,Vanderpoel isn't it?
Thumbs up!

:eek: YES

Do you know EVERYTHING? :o

You amaze me, really! That was great.

Great to see all the sketches. I must do more.

Donna

Nickel
12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
:eek: YES

Do you know EVERYTHING? :o

You amaze me, really! That was great.

Great to see all the sketches. I must do more.

Donna

I think he must......:envy: yeah, green with envy.....that's me.......

but he's a sweetie...but don't tell him I said so........:p

I'll be looking for your sketches Darling Donna.....:D

Nickel:angel:

WV.Artistry
12-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Richard, the outside might not be sexy, but I have seen some of what was inside your book! There is a big difference between #1 and #114.
Nickel

Thanks Nickel . . I've had a few hits and a lot of misses along the way.

Did this while having a cup of coffee today. But mucked it up, will probably start over.

Sketch #123 in Field Journal : Drapery Study
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/r601020/Sketch123UL.jpg

Original by :
Domenico Ghirlandiao
Study of garments
c. 1491
Brush drawing on paper, 290 x 130 mm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence

Nickel
12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Muck is better than catching it on fire!!!!!!

Richard, I like the drapery study, very nice. Drapery is a hard subject to master but it makes up most of the person after you finish a head. LOL! Now I only got to learn to do a head. :rolleyes: and then the drapery

Nickel

WV.Artistry
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Muck is better than catching it on fire!!!!!!

Nickel

I live in Florida . . we have muck fires.

re: heads.

Everything is easy.

It's the light falling on an object we learn to see that's difficult to coordinate our interpretations of with, and these representations of our interpretations are what we call art -- they are judged by that syntax of light. Our skill, therefore, is merely a reflection of our ability to communicate effectively with this language.

That's the hard part.

vhere
12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with all the reasons for keeping sketchbooks given (and there is some really nice work here too).

I kept sketchbooks before my degree and like Anita they were a large part of the marks on the degree,

My sketchbooks are where I jot down ideas so I don't forget them, doodle, sketch plein air, work out compositions, experiment with colours and colour mixes, look at details of subjects, do some things that turn into finished pieces that may or may not be cut out for framing (if they are I replace them with a print of the missing page), try out mixed media, use pencil, charcoal, watercolour, oil pastel, oil paint - anything at all to draw/paint with, stick in things relevant to a project or simply that interest me, reminders of exhibitions, artists quotes, lists of 'to do', photographs, leaves and much much more. They bulge at the seams when finished!

I tend to use hardbacked sketchbooks as they stand up to being shoved in bags and paint covered hands. Pretty ones like the one you made Rose wouldn't stay clean!

if using a sketchbook isn't natural to you and you prefer loose leaves then you can always bind the loose sheets into books later.

A link to a site with my sketchbooks on is in my sig line. I got a 'no room' error message when I tried to upload an image :(

DLJohnson
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
V-

I love your sketchbooks! Very interesting and beautiful art at your site. Especially interesting are/is (?) the ravelled sleaves. Thanks for sharing your site, it made me late but SO worth it. :cat:

Donna

rosebard
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
For the last few days no painting for me at all. So this sketch book has not only giving me the opportunity to train, but also it is giving me a bit of art daily, and I dont feel sad because I couldnt paint at all.

Here is couple of night ago, Daughter reading before bedtime...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/54461-photos_055.jpg

Daughter sleeping...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/54461-photos_054.jpg

Sketching from a photo in the newspaper yesterday.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/54461-photos_052.jpg

Sketching in town while daughter had an ice-cream.... not finished though

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2005/54461-photos_053.jpg

rosebard
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Vivien, cool to see you stopping by. Your sketchbooks are awesome and full of colors. I love colors and that may be the reason I dont like much drawing. But in the last few days I have being trying to get a chance to play around and sketch the lovely clouds that form around my house. That is in my mind right now. I am just waiting for a chance. Meanwhile I keep practicing with pencils. :)

Hi Donna and Nickel, have you two had a chance to sketch at all??

vhere
12-09-2005, 03:26 AM
nice sketches :)

yes I like colour as well so mostly use colour in sketchbooks - then I appreciate the change to monochrome when I use graphite or charcoal. I hadn't really used graphite much for years but have recently done a few sketches in pencil.

Nickel
12-09-2005, 06:44 AM
It's the light falling on an object we learn to see that's difficult to coordinate our interpretations of with, and these representations of our interpretations are what we call art -- they are judged by that syntax of light. Our skill, therefore, is merely a reflection of our ability to communicate effectively with this language.

That's the hard part.

I'd love to dig into this deeper, but muck might catch fire. Sometimes our ability to communicate is only hampered by the reciever preconceived mindset and not a reflection of our skill. But I get what your saying :cat:
Odd comes to mind....

Nickel
12-09-2005, 06:47 AM
For the last few days no painting for me at all. So this sketch book has not only giving me the opportunity to train, but also it is giving me a bit of art daily, and I dont feel sad because I couldnt paint at all.

Rose, nice sketches....You know what I like about sketching???

No mess to clean up, no brushes to wash, no turps, it is really relaxing!:wave:

Nickel

Nickel
12-09-2005, 06:54 AM
nice sketches :)

yes I like colour as well so mostly use colour in sketchbooks - then I appreciate the change to monochrome when I use graphite or charcoal. I hadn't really used graphite much for years but have recently done a few sketches in pencil.

Hi Vivien thanks for stopping in and linking to your sketchbooks. WOW!

It is like a vacation. Very nice indeed!!!!

Thanks Nickel

You teach too so you may be interested in teaching a WC class for MasterTeacher. That would be really great! :wave:

rosebard
12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Rose, nice sketches....You know what I like about sketching???

No mess to clean up, no brushes to wash, no turps, it is really relaxing!:wave:

Nickel

I think that is why I love painting. :D But I find sketching pretty good, though I confess I am lazy for stuff until I find a reason to do them. So sketch now has a tons of reasons to be done. :D

I photo of my still life box, but it is really amazing the difference between life and the photo in terms of light and color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/54461-photos_057.jpg

DLJohnson
12-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Sketching Friends :wave:

Great sketches Rose. I really do love seeing them. It is nice that you have Hanna to be your model. I need to borrow some children, shouldn't be hard, lol.

So far I draw better than I paint, I think. Maybe that is why I enjoy it so much. :D I have definitely spent way more time with my sketches than anything. Now if I could just figure out color ....lol

Oh, and it is ok to laugh. Just don't do it behind my back, k? Just say "Donna, uh, I think her face is missing and that (insert anything here) is too funny, looks like a (insert) instead of a human". That way we can laugh (and learn) together. :cat:

See you soon with more sketches,
Donna

5 minute quickie, and the next two were 20-30 minutes each

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/7846-DSCN2731cR.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/7846-DSCN2729cR.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/7846-DSCN2719cR.jpg

rosebard
12-09-2005, 11:56 AM
:clap: These are great Donna! :clap: I am behind you in skills, so cant help you to improve on it, if there is anything to be improved at all. Because they looks really great sketches. Thanks for the kind comments. I am loving practicing the sketches now with such great company!! :D

DLJohnson
12-09-2005, 12:17 PM
awww, you are so kind Rose.

I should have mentioned that I am doing these out of books. I like to copy (genuine) master's drawings and other works to learn. :cat:

Donna

waterdraak
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Nickel, hi Rose, hallo to all,

If somebody is interested here is a peek into my sketchbook.
When I am going to paint a wildlife scene I first make some sketches of the animal. (the grizzly)
But I also do try-outs of different techniques, unknown material and scenes first in a sketchbook. (the breaker in oil on thick paper)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/60207-schetsboek_grizzly.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/60207-schetsboek_grizzly2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2005/60207-probeersel_breaker.jpg

rosebard
12-09-2005, 01:36 PM
This is so Cool Ria!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Nickel
12-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Donna :wave: We will graduate to a butt icon :clap: Cool Sketches my lady!:D I thought I'd sketch my foot, but figure that'd be best left in private:p but maybe not. You are forewarned! ;) I enjoyed your sketches! :cool:

Hi Ria, WOW, thanks for showing your sketches. The breaker is so beautiful I feel like I am there myself. Grizzly bears are wonderful subjects! You don't sketch them up close do you:eek: We have some in our state but I have only seen them in the zoo setting. Very majestic animals. They deserve to be painted. You do a great job representing them.

Nickel :)

I did try today to sketch a US Flag in 30 mile an hour winds. That was fun, :) just kidding, not...thanks to suggestions, I now keep a sketch book in the car. :wave:

jo_b
12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
There are some really fantastic sketches here.
Donna, your figures are really beautiful, and extremely accurate!!! Who was your model:D Never mind, we would not want to "out" anyone.:wink2: but whoever it is they have a wonderful body to sketch and paint!!

Ria- you are masterful at portraying animals!! How long have you been sketching or painting them? Your work would do well at a dealer here in the US called Wild Ducks Unlimited, you should look into them, if you are interested in selling some of your work.

Jodi

DLJohnson
12-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Hi Everybody :wave:

Thank you Ria for showing your book. I think you have raised the bar for me. That seascape is beautiful and so well done. I would love to see what your work looks like that you have spent a great deal of time on. I never think of using oils in the sketchbook. I do have a black watercolor book with thicker paper. Thanks for the inspiration. Do you gesso them?

Sketching bears should never be done from life - unless bars are between you. :cat:

Nickel - go for it and I will sketch my foot too. You first. :D I have funny short toes that everyone makes fun of. Also my second toes are not slightly longer than my big toes like with most feet. This concerns people, I should not be able to walk or something, lol. Why not start a foot sketch thread? Oooooooh gross, but fun. Sketching body parts is crucial to the classical artist so I do think it is forum appropriate. (In case Barb is listening :D ) Thank you for your sweet words about the sketches.

Oh Jodi, you are too kind. I am pretty sure the 3rd one, we can call her Ms. Longrear, has a serious spine issue. Her neck and rear seem to need alignment or a backbrace to me. I am waiting for Titanium to guess who they are as he knows them, I am sure. Only one may be a stretch for him though. I did tell in my "after" post that they are from books. :cat:

Happy sketching,
Donna

waterdraak
12-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks Rose and Nickel!

Jodi, I started painting three years ago so I do not have much finished work that is satisfying in my eyes but I'll keep your recommendation in mind!

Donna, hi.
I just do some small try-outs in oil in a sketchbook which has watercolour-pages (thick pages) They do not curl and I do not gesso them.

The bears are not drawn in nature but at a Zoo. (we do'nt have bears in the Netherlands)

Nickel, nice thread. Great to look inside other people's sketches. Good idea to draw your foot. I'll give mine a go too. Donna I have also short toes and my large toe is the longest!

rosebard
12-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Inspired by the great color sketches I have seeing around, I have done this from life this morning with pastels. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2005/54461-photos_064.jpg

Nickel
12-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Nice clouds Rose, looks fluffy!

Ok Girls, I am game for a foot thread, how about let's make it interesting, beside the foot, lets put on a stiletto and paint our toenails. :) Add your ankle braclet. Must stay on a classical theme. ;) I don't know about the guys, but don't put on stilettos ok!!! Sandels would be ok. :wave:

First one to finish, start a new thread titled "Donna's Fault" :D No one that likes feet came come in though cause my feet are private porperty. :D :D No turps, just naturally silly:angel:

Nickel

rosebard
12-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I thought we were really going for the toe gallery thing!! LOLOL You are naturally sweety Nickel. :)

Nickel
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Nickel - go for it and I will sketch my foot too. You first. :D I have funny short toes that everyone makes fun of.

OK just for you & Ria & Rose :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/39040-Image057.jpg

:eek: Nickel

jo_b
12-12-2005, 08:18 AM
OMG!!!!:eek:
Nickel, is that a foot or a paw????LOLOL

Jodi

artbyjune
12-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Finally got a sketchbook organised. Just a shop-bought (12 by 16 ins) cartridge pad. I may decorate the cover later, though.

here is my first sketch - done this morning- basket of fruit. Using Pitt 'oil-based' black pencil. they make strong black marks and cover paper rather like charcoal but stick like graphite, so quite useful for sketching, I think.

This is from life. I also took a reference photo as I thought I'd like to do a painting of the fruit sometime.

I got a bit lost in amongst the grapes and I think I need to practise more life studies like this. But all-in-all enjoyable to do!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/11473-fbkwc2.jpg

:D

I am still being influenced by the Caravaggio study!!

artbyjune
12-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Love the sketches, guys.

The oil sketch of the water breaker is particularly lovely, Ria. What a good idea to do small studies of parts of a painting first!!

joyceg
12-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Hello all, found my old sketchbook in the dreaded boxes in the garage, the one that I made from the instructions in the Japanese Bookbinding book and thought you might like to try a similar one. It is made in 3 different sections so you can vary the paper in each section. This is really a fun project.
Materials--thin poster board for covers. Paper. Strong thread or thin string. String.

Double the size of your paper, i.e., 5x7 should be 5x14. Fold it so you have 2 sheets. Do not cut at the fold.
Sections 1 and 3: Use thin poster board, 5x7 plus 1 inch for flap.
Center Section: Use thin poster board, 5x2 for flaps, front and back.

Putting it together:
Section 1, take a number of sheets of paper, fold the cover over the top so the extra inch is to the back (front cover and flap).
Section 2, take a number of sheets of paper and fold the 2in poster board so one inch is in front and one in back (flaps).
Section 3, take a number of sheets of paper and fold the l in flap to the front, cover is at the back.

Sewing: Open sec1 to middle page. using thread or fine string, sew in one inch from side, close to top, middle page thru all back pages to flap, thru center section flap and thru all pages to the middle of center section. Carry thread to other side and sew back to middle page of first section. Cut and tie thread.
Open section 2 to middle page and sew thru all back pages to flap, thru 3rd section flap and thru all pages to middle of 3rd section. Carry thread again to other side and sew back to middle page of 2nd section. Cut, tie thread.
Sewing should not show on the outside.
For the hanging string, open center section to middle page, at the fold, punch two holes thru to top and insert string. I used an ice pick to punch the holes.
Hope this isn't too confusing. I will upload a couple of pictures so you can get an idea of how it looks, also including a sketch of my dachshund Blitz.

artbyjune
12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Looks like an interesting sketchbook, Joyce. All the better for making it yourself- you can choose the papers you like!!

I also love the sketch of your daschund.

joyceg
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Thank you June for your kind comment on the sketch.

I have watercolor paper in section 1, drawing paper in the other two. The interesting thing about the ancient Japanese way of bookbinding is that you never use glue or other toxics. They have several other styles in the book that are quite attractive.

rosebard
12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Nickel, I now have the corage to show mine. Lovely the way you gave a face to your bigger toe. It looks sweety!! :) Hey Donna and Ria, who is next?? Is Joyce and June going to show you toes too! Come on lets add it to the gallery!! :)

Joyce, I think somehow I made mine similar to yours. Thanks for the pics and explanation. Really cool to have my colorfull friend hanging around here!! Actually few of them have stopped by already!! Hope they all sketching, doodling and painting a bunch!! What great drawings!

June, this is great start for you new project. I love still lifes and fruits. They are among my favorite subjects. Good luck with it!! :) I will love to see your next step on it. You can either just post it on our Studio thread and have a bit of chatting, or open a new thread if you want deeper comments. Either way we will enjoy it. :)

No sketching for me today yet!! :)

artbyjune
12-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Rose, I was hoping to go on and do an oil painting testing out artisans with the classical painting technique of imprimatura, grisaille and glazings. Using this kind of fruit in a basket/bowl as an image.

I never thought to do my feet!! My poor toes...all squashed into boots for the winter. Might not like to see daylight?

Nickel
12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
I am hoping Santa will bring me some nail polish :) or bedroom slippers :) or socks :)

Nice basket June, I think you are going to do great with the Artisans!

Joyce it was very nice of you to share about making your sketchbooks. I love seeing your little doggie. :)

Nobody has to show their toes, I just was playing, never tried to do toes before. I really need to put some shoes on cause my feet are cold. I am really trying to learn to see. Arg, before I can't see anymore, but thats another untold story. :wave: Nickel

waterdraak
12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Ok, ok, here are my feet. Don't laugh about my toes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/60207-voeten.jpg

jo_b
12-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Say Ria- you have great feet!:D And you have drawn them quite well, perfect foreshortening!

Jodi

rosebard
12-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Nobody has to show their toes, I just was playing, never tried to do toes before. I really need to put some shoes on cause my feet are cold. I am really trying to learn to see. Arg, before I can't see anymore, but thats another untold story. :wave: Nickel

Hi Nickel, sure we know that. I think feet are great for practice. Our own hand to do from life is harder as I need almost both of them to draw. I pretty much liked the ideia and plan to do mine tomorrow.

Ria you did it!! Great look for mine tomorrow!! :) Yours looks awesome.

joyceg
12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks ROSE, for kind words. I promise to do feet tonight and will post them tomorrow. I went for a pedicure recently so they should look gorgeous, HaHaHa. Won't be a painting tho so you won't see the bright maroon nailpolish. I'm the only one who sees that.

artbyjune
12-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Great feet sketch, Ria.

Joyce, I think I will give my feet a pedicure and so forth, before I sketch them.

joyceg
12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
OK everyone--here are my feet :rolleyes:. That was much more difficult than I expected. Who's next??? Rose?? Jodi?? come on ladies, let's see those feet :angel:

joyceg
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I forgot to suggest that the men, if any, also show us their feet. BTW, Blitz got his nose in the picture :rolleyes:.

rosebard
12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi ladies!! Well dont think the boys will join the fun.

June, the great thing about art is that you can modify reality. So dont be shy!! Problem would be if we were to photography our feet. LOLOL

Joyce good going on yours!! I better go and do mine!! :) :) :)

waterdraak
12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Rose, we are waiting for your feet...
Joyce well done, nice toenails. I suppose Blitz is your dog?

rosebard
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
LOLOLOL Ria!! OK Ok!!

artbyjune
12-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Love the toenail polish Joyce.

I didn't do my feet tonight but I was playing around with sketching my face with my specs off...from the mirror reflection, and managed to make myself look very much like my grandmother.

Two things to note, The sketch makes me look old (maybe I am just old!! Pretending I'm 21) and second, I can see my grandmother's likeness in my face...which was nice but a bit spooky too!!

I'm not posting it. You'll have to imagine it.

But I think a few self portrait face sketches would be nice to do. After our feet, which I haven't done ...maybe tomorrow night!!

rosebard
12-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, Ria... here they are. I started trying to draw what I saw. Didnt work out so good. So back to drawing books... I revised the bones structure and copied a few drawings from the book to warm up. Then back to my feet. :D

Bone study

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2005/54461-photos_073.jpg

Warm up from the book

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2005/54461-photos_071.jpg

And finally my Feet... yeah before anyone say anything :D I do have the middle toe smaller than there neighbours. Ugly isnt it?? LOLOLO :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2005/54461-photos_072.jpg

rosebard
12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked the ideia June of studing our own face after the feet. That is in fact something I will start soon. Still wanna to finish reviewing the feet section and do some more practice, to move on to next subject. Oh gosh I really dont like doing my own face. But maybe some proportion measuring will help. I try to do it just by eye, just for fun really. Most of the time, proportions get off without measuring and it is really frustating.

joyceg
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi RIA--yes, Blitz is my little old dachshund, supposed to be a mini but he's too fat to qualify.

Hi ROSE, well done, good idea to warm up first, especially with the bone structure. Did you use pencil? Very nice work :angel:. I like the way you show the muscle (I think they are muscles but perhaps they are sinews?) structure leading to the toes.

Hi JUNE--I looked at your website and blog and am very impressed with your use of oil pastels. Do you get much response for your pet portraits? I was thinking of trying that, I've practiced with all the family's dogs but never could work out a brochure and pricing. I've given away dog portraits and people have offered reimbursement which paid for the materials and I once sold a pastel of a dog that had died, I asked $300 and they paid it gladly but I just couldn't seem to get beyond that. The dog fancier magazines are full of ads from people who do pet portraits but the prices for a tiny ad seem terribly high. I wonder if it's worth it. Any advice? I don't mean to pick your brain and if you prefer not to respond I understand.

That is so interesting that you see your grandmother's face in your own at times. I have often noticed my mother's face looking back at me in the mirror when I have my hair a certain way.

Perhaps instead of doing the whole face we should just try eyes or mouths. I don't know if I'm able to do a whole face. Perhaps I can, I just tried an oil portrait of one of my granddaughters and it looks more like me than like her :rolleyes:. I'm anxious to see the rest of the feet.

DLJohnson
12-14-2005, 04:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/7846-9.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/7846-uggmoc.jpg.

rosebard
12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Cool Donna!! Lovely shoes too!! :)

Yeah study the face would be cool to study each feature separately. Are we finished with the feet? What is next?

Great day of sketching and doodling to you all!! :)

waterdraak
12-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Rose, you made quite an effort of it. So many feet, great experiance. You made your feet quite lovely. You can see there is no fat on them!

Donna, what a nice shoe (moccasin?) Nice foot for somebody who says is 99 years old!

artbyjune
12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
OK, here is my right foot. IRL-its not so knobbly!!:D :p

I did it with my specs off. Because I didn't want to do something fiddly and detailed. Used pitt sepia pencil, a kind of conte or pastel pencil really.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/11473-mrfwc1.jpg

OK stop laughing now!!:(

artbyjune
12-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Joyce, about pet portrait work, I always get my biggest response from ads in the local paper. They are usually not expensive either.

I tried the dog and cat specialist magazines but the response was poor for the cost of the ads.

I also list in the yellow pages and a local telephone business directory.

Hope that helps.

Glad you liked the oil pastels. I find they are great for imaginative free style work. Very pleasurable to use too!!

rosebard
12-14-2005, 04:31 PM
That looks pretty cute June!! Good sketch!! I just messed around today with few pencil strokes here and there. No real thing done. But lots of reading!! :)

artbyjune
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I think I like the idea of doing bits of our faces first. For example the nose always gives me a lot of trouble!! I could do with studying that.

waterdraak
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Nobody is laughing June!
Very well done. Is it right that your large toe is the largest, like mine? Somebody said that the most people have the second toe the largest.
Would be nice to do a survey amongst artists who has the large toe the largest and who does not.
Perhaps we suck our inspiration out of our large toes!

artbyjune
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Very funny Ria!! Yes, it seems my big toe is the biggest of the bunch. I thought I was normal!! Maybe not. Alas.

Hi Rose, I really love all that studying you did before going on to do your own feet. It would be good to do that myself I think.

Donna, those look like comfortable shoes! I was going to draw my boots!! There's another topic: feet in shoes!

joyceg
12-15-2005, 04:05 AM
What nice drawings so far :angel:.

Thanks JUNE for the information--I would never have thought of the local newspaper. The specialty magazines are so expensive. My goal, now, is to get some good samples done and then put an ad in and see what the response is, if any. I thought also of taking a brochure around to the vets but I still haven't figured out a brochure. Samples first.

I think I have the second toe largest and my third is same length as second. Weird, huh.

rosebard
12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Finally I managed to borrow a foot.... about 20 minutes pose from life ofcourse.

Daughter foot:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2005/54461-photos_074.jpg

bjs0704
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh, to see all of your "feets" of accomplishment!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nickel - This is a really great idea for a thread! It's a fantastic project.

It is interesting to see the different ways that sketchbooks can be used. Some people use them to build their skills and some use them to develop paintings from scratch.

While I have often sketched things around the house, as a way of practising my drawing skills, sometimes I find it hard to move from the sketches to more finished work.

Barb Solomon:cat:

artbyjune
12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Lovely sketch Rose. You are lucky to have a foot to 'borrow'. I could always draw from mirror reflection..or...borrow the dog's paw (not quite the same though).

Now I feel I need a life model!!

rosebard
12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi Barb, yeah we seem to be pushing each other to have fun while practicing. :) I am enjoying getting into the discipline of sketching everyday! :)

OH yeah life model. I think it is good if there is the possibility. I am not sure if there is life drawing class available to me somewhere. But I will check it out next year. Meanwhile I will study and try to learn parts of the body and face, so I when I have a chance to find such class, I wont have much problem. :)
I was going to use a mirror to practice the foot somemore, but hanna kindly voluntered. I may attack hubby or son today. :)

Happy sketching everyone!!

bjs0704
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
LOL!!! I've got more doodles of my husband at his computer or watching TV! I used to have some sketches of him watching TV and petting the dog that really were nice!

I'll have to look for my sketchbook! A sketch a day would be a good New Year's resolution!

artbyjune
12-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Just sitting on the armchair and decided to doodle.

I copied the painting of Leonardo 'Lady with ermine'...because it has a portrait study of a woman and an animal. I like this theme.

There's distortion in my copy (about 4 by 5 ins in pencil) because I had the sketchbook on my knee. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

I may do another copy at my desk later.

I got to the mouth last and I was tired and it shows. Now to worry. Plenty of time for practise and improvement.

I think I'll do a painting of it next.:D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/11473-erwc1.jpg

waterdraak
12-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Very nice, June,

Do you have a picture of Leonardo's painting? I do not know this one.

Nickel
12-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Very nice June. I really would like to see your painting if you decide to do her. Very sweet picture.

Barb, I'd love to see some of your sketch book work :D

I've been so busy, it is hard to even find time to do dishes let alone devote time to my art but I am trying. Still have paintbrushes soaking in soap because I didn't cleanup as soon as I should have. Bad Nickel brushes are expensive.!!! I have so enjoyed the sketch and doodles you all post.

Hope everyone has a nice week ahead. :)

Nickel

joyceg
12-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi Nickel--somebody said that "goo gone" works really well to clean brushes.

Haven't been doing any sketches, have done some doodles on the back of an envelope of my dogs feet, too sketchy to post. They are really strange looking, (the dog's feet) which I never noticed before, he's a dachshund and they have lots of folds and bumps that I think are unique to them.

Nickel, are you in North Pole, Alaska? I assume so, where else is there a North Pole where people are actually living? My step son has lived there for many years, first working at the airbase and now retired from the air force but still there in North Pole. He loves Alaska.

rosebard
12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
June what lovely study you did. There is a site I wanna find and bring it in for us.

Joyce looking forward to your doodling and sketches. It will be interesting to see how you have captured those peculiar things about his pawn.

I am probably posting something today.

See you later and good time sketching and doodling!! :)

artbyjune
12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
I found a link to the Leonardo painting. Its a much better photo than the one i was using in a book.
:p

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/L/leonardo/ermine.jpg.html

Its a lovely painting I think.:clap:

waterdraak
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
It sure is a very lovely painting indeed, June.
Are you going to make an oilpainting after it? Now that you have a nice large version.

artbyjune
12-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Ria. I think I'd learn a lot if I tried a copy of the 'lady with ermine'. Lot of work though!!

rosebard
12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi Everyone!! As you seeing to be enjoying looking into old master painting June, I remember this link from the Cleveland Museum. They have a good collection of old master drawings and also some interesting things about drawing techniques:

http://www.clevelandart.org/techniques/

Hope you all enjoy! :)

Nickel
12-21-2005, 11:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/39040-Image023.jpg

Steven Spielberg at the dentist office:p

artbyjune
12-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Thanks for that interesting link Rose!

JamieWG
12-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Thought I'd post this link here for those who, like me, are totally disgusted with the quality of paper in sketchbooks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68393

Jamie

rosebard
12-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Jamie thanks for stopping by and leaving us that great link.

I will use the ideia for my next sketchbook. :)

June, your welcome. I want to go through that site and work on some examples there. Are you thinking about using it too? :)

Nickel cool to see you sketching too. I wanna practice some sketching techniques from that site. And continue practice with body parts and working out anatomy. Probably good ideia to copy old masters drawing.

Hope Barb will have some time to sketch herself. :)

rosebard
12-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Back to sketching routine! :) I did couple of sketching today. I am posting one of them. This is a bad copy of one of male nude from DAvinci, but I enjoyed. Erased many times to get the proportions right, done all by eye, but unfortunally I had to do it from the monitor as I have run out of ink to print. :wave: The other one was a perfil from hubby measured with a long brush handle. Did not like it at all. I will try again tomorrow. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/54461-photos_112.jpg

rosebard
12-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi sketchers and doodlers! I guess you guys are taking a little vacation. Well I know it is holiday time. With hubby recovering from surgery and my mom not coming this month, I am only left with my art supplies and studies. :D Which isnt all bad, is it? Anyway, I have being studing proportions and facial planes. I have being studing and sketching skulls for the last 3 days. So here are few of my best ones so far. I know, I know, need more practice. :D :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2005/54461-photos_117.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2005/54461-photos_118.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2005/54461-photos_116.jpg

vhere
12-26-2005, 01:20 PM
good stuff to study - you are doing well :)

rosebard
12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
good stuff to study - you are doing well :)

TY Vivien!! :) :wave:

rosebard
12-29-2005, 08:27 AM
:wave: Working on a sketch of John Constable landscape to break a bit the pressure of Head Studies. :) I almost never done a sketch before working on a painting. Working on a preparation has being good thing. Is everybody here having a break from art? Happy new year to you all!! :) :D :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2005/54461-photos_127.jpg

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Here's the new thread! I'll meet you over there!:clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315642

dex
01-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Just a few seconds WIP:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/69694-boat_WIP_jan_4_05.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

dex
01-04-2006, 05:31 PM
as everyone is so busy,thought i'd better do something too!:),(didn't wanna be left out:),so here's my 30 minutes of madness!!(wonder what Froid would have made of it?) :).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/69694-nowa_zark_jan_4_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
dex

dex
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/69694-doodle_jan_10_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

dex
01-11-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/69694-doodle_jan_11_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

dex
01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Chinese Junk,(imaginary scene!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/69694-Chinese_Junk_jan_11_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

rosebard
01-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Dex, this imaginary scene is awesome. I would never think of starting a horse that way, thanks, I like it. :) Now, you are int he wrong thread. This is the Sketch and Doodle 1. :) You need to post on Sketch and Doodle 2.

See you there then!! :)

dex
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Rose,(I think I posted there too!),like your work,seems to be improving by the minute!,keep it up!clap!.
dex

dex
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Nikel & Co?:)
just popped in to post this(just to keep that Brenda quiet:evil:):D,
see ya'll later.
dex
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/69694-Doodle_jan_22_1_06_Small_Small.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

Nickel
01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Nikel & Co?:)
just popped in to post this(just to keep that Brenda quiet:evil:):D,
see ya'll later.
dex
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/69694-Doodle_jan_22_1_06_Small_Small.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

LOL, who's Brenda??? Bet she don't make cookies like me :D

Good to see you got that mechanical pencil sharpened. :cool: sketches!

:) Nickel