PDA

View Full Version : Southern Delight

Skinny
11-29-2005, 12:36 PM
This week, I'm working with Impasto effects.

Bytemebabs
11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
And working with it quit well may I add. This is beautiful! I love the textures and the soft romantic feel this painting has.

JCoop
11-29-2005, 12:43 PM
The pedals are so soft... I can just feel them! Kristen, just beautiful!!!

barryt
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
I agree Joel, that was my feeling. They look soft, nice work Skinny

TxAggieDarlin
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I love it............great center

Skinny
11-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks!
Babs....I appreciate the encouragement. Impasto can be so tricky. I spend as much time using the "depth equalizer" as I do the depth putter-inner. :D

Joel, Barry...the fun for me was imagining the SMELL!

Aggie...I'm so tentative. I had to copy and "paste in place" my first effort about six times to get the center looking right. Fortunately I do almost everything on a separate layer until I decide I like it.

leofaerie17
11-29-2005, 06:05 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Skinny WOW I can smell it the perfume is as gorgeous as the flower:clap: :clap: :clap:

aaces
11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Nice Reference pic, where's the painting?
OH.......Wait.........
WoW!
Fantastic Job!
Allan:D

Skinny
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
BTW...the ref pic was from Intrigued, another great photographer donating to the WC library.

JKBRYM
11-30-2005, 03:36 AM
This is beautiful work Kristen!!:clap: :clap: :clap: Now that you have jumped into impasto lets see a thicker setting, be bold! He says , (not haveing the courage himself) LOL

John

Chiers
11-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Great job on your flower Kirsten!

Yako
11-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Wow! how delicate and beautiful subject. Looks like a camelia. Couldn't you post a progression of how you achieve something like this?

Skinny
11-30-2005, 06:50 AM
John.....Bold? My idea of bold is believing I can, LOL. You should see it when I push the settings...looks like my painting got acne.

Thanks, Sherry! How´s your new job treating you?

Yako....I didn't save any WIP's. SORRY. :(

I work a lot with vector outlines...meaning that I first outline with the vector tool, then convert it to a selection. Often, I'll select a base color and floodfill the selection, then shade with the pen, pastel, impasto, or whatever seems appropriate.

After I remove the selection, I soften....sometimes manually, sometime globally.

I started this with a blue background. It didn't really work for me, so I copied the background and played with hue changes until I got something I liked. I LOVE DIGITAL! Oh...I also used "Apply lighting" (Surface control menu) to the background.

Thanks for being interested....:cat:

maria_khurram
11-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Marvellous!

Jon
11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
.............um.......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: Jon

Bytemebabs
11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks!
Babs....I appreciate the encouragement. Impasto can be so tricky. I spend as much time using the "depth equalizer" as I do the depth putter-inner. :D

Kristin? what is the "depth equalizer"? and "depth putter-inner"? are you teasing me? I can't believe I am actually serious and typing this! I know you have a great sense of humor and I have dumb "senior momments" so I am really being serious with this question :confused:

(As I pray I am not so stupid) ... HEY ya'll aren't suppose to read this ...

jhercilia
11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
It made me think of a Wedding. Beautiful flower.

JKBRYM
11-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Here you go Kristen. A little impasto fun. Thanks to photographer; LMEighmy
John
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2005/69477-WHITE-LILY.jpg

justjean
11-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Lovely flower Kirsten so soft :clap:

barryt
12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Nice John! I love the contrast with the background, and the shine on the petals. What settings do you use in impasto?

Skinny
12-01-2005, 12:06 PM
JOHN...You're a gutsy guy, lol!

JEAN....Thank you....:p

JKBRYM
12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Barry-Here are the impasto settings I used for the flower; Brush Catagory:Artists Oils
Variant:Clumpy..........keep in mind that I am still and always experimenting and I am finding new settings like, paper, layer settings, backgrounds, surface lighting etc (surface lighting needs to be adjusted for evey new painting, it's really a big factor, ), etc that effect the outcome of the impasto brushstorke so I hope these settings come out looking something like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/69477-a_impastoleaf.JPG Brush Size:10, opacity:100, Resat:50, Bleed: 0
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/69477-a-impastosettings.jpg Be sure to test a couple of strokes and if they look too thick, turn down depth slider in the Canvas/Surface Lighting settings dialogue box. Play with the other settings to taste also.
Looks like msn resizing killed the resolution so I hope you can read the settings. Just look closely at the sliders. John

barryt
12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
John, excellent I will keep those and have a play.

Yako
12-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Yako[/B]....I didn't save any WIP's. SORRY. :(

I work a lot with vector outlines...meaning that I first outline with the vector tool, then convert it to a selection. Often, I'll select a base color and floodfill the selection, then shade with the pen, pastel, impasto, or whatever seems appropriate.

After I remove the selection, I soften....sometimes manually, sometime globally.

I started this with a blue background. It didn't really work for me, so I copied the background and played with hue changes until I got something I liked. I LOVE DIGITAL! Oh...I also used "Apply lighting" (Surface control menu) to the background.

Thanks for being interested....:cat:

Ey! Skinny thanks a lot for the tips of how to do it!