PDA

View Full Version : Not my style...

JCoop
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I've been getting some holiday commissions where the clients are asking for a more "photoreal" style than what I'm used to painting. It takes me twice as long to finish a painting like this... and it's only half the fun.

I have to admit that I only do paintings like this for the money. I find very little joy in doing them... but you know how it goes... I have bills to pay.:rolleyes:

The client was very pleased, so that takes the sting out of it.

http://www.ipaintpeople.com/wetcanvas/ryan_carley_wc.jpg
http://www.ipaintpeople.com/wetcanvas/ryan_carley_clse_wc.jpg

Painter 9

Skinny
11-29-2005, 12:16 PM
You've done a yeoman job, JCOOP...though it isn't your style of choice. Why do you suppose someone wants photoreaism when they could just frame a picture? Many of us who do photo-realism just haven't learned to use our tools well enough to do an acceptable job of expressing our own artistic voice.

barryt
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
A great success Joel. Like you I don't know why they go for that style. Perhaps it's because they don't trust 'artists' and therefore feel a need to stipulate boundaries they know they'll be happy with. If they were my kids I'd certainly be happy with it!

Bytemebabs
11-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Shakes head here ... sigh :o . How could you not find pleasure in painting something this wonderful? Your artistic skills blow me away! You are very, VERY lucky to be able to paint either way. And being a "realistic painter myself" (unfortunately only), I would be THRILLED to capture this as well as you did. Also, no one has ever even thought of buying my paintings. And if they did, they would not receive one because I would drop dead at the mention ;)

I also wanted to mention, I think you have a wonderful talent at capturing the innocense in children's faces. I will be so glad when you have more time to spend here because I just love viewing your work.

Bytemebabs
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I also forgot to mention that this does not look like a photo (persay), It has too much softness and beauty to it. A photo looks too stiff ... like a photo. You have incorporated a special atmosphere here that a camera could never capture because it was done by a human ... not a manmade what ever.

Chiers
11-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Well your right, this is not your style but it is a very good painting anyway.! And one has to recognize that it still takes talent to paint with realizm. In the case of a commission one must give the client what they want. Still, I hope you never consider giving up "your style" because it's a feast to the senses to look at.

justjean
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM
It's lovely Joel but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) I love your colouring, brushstrokes and all round talent but I also love realism:)

justjean
11-29-2005, 02:13 PM
HMMM the edit doesn't seem to work LOL, just wanted to add I keep trying to get a more painterly style but keep failing miserably :envy:

TxAggieDarlin
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I agree........I love this and it looks nothing like a photo...I can certainly tell it has been painted and done very well. I love your other work as well, but I like realism and am not going to apologize for liking it. I see lots of talent in all kinds of painting.

It may not be your favorite, but you sure do it WELL!!!

Borum
11-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Joel, how do you print this out?

Thank you.....

teszeract
11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I think it's good to practice all things. It becomes like a little-used tool that you can keep in the back somewhere within reach. Good work there!

Can I ask a technical question? I saw what looked like a really vivid blue in the trousers of the boy, and thought that cannot be giclee printable. Which is something that has been bothering me about digital art i.e. cmyk cannot give the colours that paint can. But when I took a really close look at the colour out of context - I see that it is a very printable blue after all. So the question is: do you convert your paintings from rgb to cmyk before showing clients and us?

Smokin
11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
not your style?!?!?, Could have fooled me.

Bytemebabs
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
not your style?!?!?, Could have fooled me.

You just make me giggle. And I get into your point of view and how one reacts.

JCoop
11-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all of your nice responses. I really didn't know how you guys would respond to a work like this from me. I'd like to clarify that I do appreciate "photorealism" very much... it's just not my personal style, which made the journey down this road fun at first, but ultimately arduous.

But you all are right in recognizing that the client is the "king". I try to suggest or hint, but ultimately the client gets what the client wants.:wink2:

Borum, I have my paintings transferred (printed) to canvas (Giclee'). If you are not familiar with Giclee', do a google search and you'll find a wealth of information.

Teszeract, you bring up a very good point... something that is often overlooked. No I don't convert to CMYK... I stay in RGB. I'm fortunate enough to benefit from years of pre-press experience... I'm always aware of the numeric values of my paint, being careful not to use any color values that go beyond the printing gamut.

In my job as Creative Director, I have to be constantly aware of colors and how they translate on press. I've been doing it so long now that I can pretty much tell how an RGB color will look in CMYK and ultimately on press, just by looking at the numeric values.

Tip: For those who are interested, Photoshop, and I suspect some of the other quality painting programs will let you use the eyedropper tool on a color to instantly recognize when a color is out of printing gamut. Just open the info palette as you use the eye dropper tool. Any color out of gamut will have an exclaimation point next to the values that are out of range.

Most images for Giclee' are created in RGB, but the CMYK color model will still give a good general indication of how colors might react.

I have another "photoreal" commission waiting for me... I'm trying to muster up enough courage to tackle it, but meanwhile I did this little quickie to make myself feel better. There's alot wrong with it, but it felt good.:)...

http://www.ipaintpeople.com/wetcanvas/josefina_wc.jpg

Sorry if I got a little long winded... Thank you all so much!!!:)

justjean
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
:clap: :clap:AWESOME:clap: :clap:

leofaerie17
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Well they obviously dont know your real talent because i much prefer your "little quickie" its beautiful :clap:

Elvira
11-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Joel, AWESOME, is the only word that discribes your portraits in any style!
Edie

Chiers
11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I love this one Joel. And you just pop it out like nothing. I am envious!

I wish I had your knowledge of printing and color! With me if you put a number on anything it's like throwing a ball on a brick wall. It just bounces off. Numbers do not compute! I Tryed your little eyedropper tip in all my programs but didn't see the exclaimation point in any of them.

mark malone
11-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey Coop remember when you get these types of commissions.....it's better than cleaning out sewer drains...:D
I like the last painting very much.

JKBRYM
11-30-2005, 03:14 AM
Joel, I like both styles but the painterly style is the one I aspire to and like the most. I just submitted a proof to a client in a painterly style and she rejected it saying it was too fuzzy and wanted it to look like a photograph. Go figure!

John:rolleyes:

Yako
11-30-2005, 06:21 AM
It's a pitty you didn't find any joy doing it, i think your client was very happy when he received this.:clap: :cool: :) Well, it's a fact that in work not all things are a pleasure but if one has to pay the bills :(
I liked all the image but specially the snowman.......mmmmmm......i think he will be one of the next motifs i'll paint......:D

maria_khurram
11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Joel, both are fantastic.......you can paint in any style. Yes I know it is very difficult to leave your style and to do what client wants. But it always happens..You have to obey your client......:(

I am impressed the way you painted it. Nicely done.:clap: :clap:

BTW, I like the second one also.

JCoop
11-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey Coop remember when you get these types of commissions.....it's better than cleaning out sewer drains...:D

Amen to that, brother!:eek:... I once had a job cleaning a grocery store... then one day the store manager asked me to clean the dumpster. Have you ever had a close encounter with a grocery store dumpster?:eek: I couldn't even get close enough because of the rancid smell. That was the day I quit!:eek: That was also a wake-up call... and the alarm still rings in my head!

Thanks again everybody!:)

TxAggieDarlin
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Oh dang, she is beautiful.........Yep, I like her better, but still love the children above!! I did not know ANY of the above information about printing....so, you taught me something....wonder if Painter has that somewhere...I never saw the colors yelling at me :PP !!!!!!

Skinny
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Kind of scare the idea of colors yelling at you...:eek: :D :eek:

LadyAlba
11-30-2005, 11:55 AM
What can I say that has not been said??? Both are AWESOME!! I do lean towards the second one even though I can't do that style LOL But like has been said over and over the client is the one pulling the strings and we all have to eat and pay the bills LOL........good thing I don't do it for a living I would starve to death or be in jail for nonpayment of bills. :eek:

jhercilia
11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
This last quicky is stunning. You are really a master in regards to color choices. It is just so good and perfect! And that blue background looks so great with the greens! Master Joel!

Einion
12-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Twice as long and only half as fun? That sounds just like work to me :D

Einion

khia
12-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Gosh, those are both beautiful! I really like the one of the little girl, wonderful, and the touch of light on her lips...

barryt
12-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Joel Yes we can all see the obvious mistakes in the quickie, but don't get disheartened!;)
fantastic work, the blend of blues with the face colors, great.:)

Jet
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Joel,
I like that look very much..:clap:

Hope you get many more commissions like these!!.......:D....:cat:

Regards

krispee
12-01-2005, 12:28 PM
actually i agree with Bytemebabs, they`re not photorealistic to me, i`ve seen photorealistic and trust me those paintings really are like a photo....this is great work, and still hugely valid and not at all a reflection of your talents(which are great), merely an outworking of them, another facet of them......the fact that you`re not so keen on them is a more valid reason for not pursuing it as a painting style to me.....we tend to do what we`re interested in first and foremost, bills, unfortunately, have a tendency to overide that though don`t they lol......

as for the second portrait, well, saving the best until last were we? lol
very good...love the greens....

krispee

mark malone
12-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Have you ever had a close encounter with a grocery store dumpster?:eek: I couldn't even get close enough because of the rancid smell. That was the day I quit!:eek: That was also a wake-up call... and the alarm still rings in my head!

Thanks again everybody!:)

Yep!! I used to work at a supermarket...where my main job was taking food waste and breakages to the dumpster (we call them skips).
My first day I had to take a large, clear plastic bag of fish guts and eyes...etc to the dumpster.....I had to lift the bag to eye height to get it in.....as I got it to that height I noticed a small tear appearing in this overfilled bag of innerds....the small tear got bigger very quickly and I was soon standing covered from head to toe in fish slime.....FUN!!:(

krispee
12-01-2005, 04:01 PM
the small tear got bigger very quickly and I was soon standing covered from head to toe in fish slime

:eek: oh no! lol
about the worst first-day-at-work experience i`ve heard of.....
i`m sure you`re glad you moved on to art....

krispee

Shan Khurram
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Joel, your second one appears to be a rose. Yes, it look likes a rose. The colors and brush strokes are very beautiful. I keep watching it again and again. The touch of canvas made the painting worth to admire.

About the first one, I know this is not your style but you applied variety of tones of one color, red. You are absolutly an expert.

digistyle
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't consider this photorealistic, either. I can see your interpretation here, just tighter that you preferred style. It looks like you expressed yourself a bit on the snowman.

digistyle

artesplasticas
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
""Tip: For those who are interested, Photoshop, and I suspect some of the other quality painting programs will let you use the eyedropper tool on a color to instantly recognize when a color is out of printing gamut. Just open the info palette as you use the eye dropper tool. Any color out of gamut will have an exclaimation point next to the values that are out of range."

Thank you very much, JCoop. This is really a good tip.
Maria Ester

gmags05
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
This is a very nice piece man. Gives me a warm feelin. :D

waheednasir
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
joel..this is wonderful..:)...fantastic job..everything is really good in these beautiful paintings...:).