PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - Nov.28-Dec.4

Paula Ford
11-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Well Folks, It's almost Christmas! Happy Holidays to all of you! :wave:

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread (a bit slow last week!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308351

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!
Paula

HarvestMoon
11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
I attempted to follow Paula's wonderful step-by-step landscape (in the Pastel Studio), and of course, hers is much nicer- but this is still much better than my usual messes.... thanks Paula- I NEVER got (even after looking at tons of books) how to do any of the layering bit- I wish I had Paula's knack for my trees, etc. but this is much nicer than my endless frustrating rocks LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2005/57497-autum.jpg

Paula Ford
11-29-2005, 06:36 AM
I think this is wonderful Linda!!! Wish you would also put it in the Studio. I'm sure you would get rave reviews there. Your layering looks great to me and the distance and colors show your knowledge of pastels! Your style shows through in this painting. How big is it?

Paula

Khadres
11-29-2005, 09:00 AM
REALLY gorgeous, Linda! Fantastic use of all those bold colors! You sound much happier with this one and so you should be!

I think certain guides around here could make a lot of folks happy with more step-by-steps like Paula's. Nothing teaches better illustration and step by step description of the techniques applied. Good job to you too, Paula! Do MORE! :D

HarvestMoon
11-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Paula- I think it is a tad longer than yours- about 12 X 16 or so- thanks for the nice words... so happy WC is back- rough day yesterday without it!

Nancy Leone
11-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Linda, Love your bold colors, especially the reds and blues on the right-hand side.
I missed the step by step landscape, Paula. Will go search it out.

I did this little 3x5 gouache and pastel sketch...planning x-mas cards for my mother. Trying to decide if I should leave the pine tree behind the big tree as is or move one of them over. Any ideas? What do think about the colors....should I go back to a evening scene (blues) or leave it warm?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure if this is working or not....can't find the other image uploader.

scall0way
11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm not good at composition Nancy, I like everything! I do like the warmth of this scene, but evening blues can be serene and lovely too. I'm no help, am I? :D

Linda I love your autumn scene, and vibrant trees. Really really lovely.

HarvestMoon
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Nancy- I really like it like it is, but like Debbie, a bit of blue would be lovely as well- I would not change the trees a bit!! Bless moms, when my mother was alive she thought I was so good at art LOL....

Paula Ford
11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow, what a day yesterday! I was going through withdrawals!

Thanks Sooz. I'll be doing a lot more of them. Hoping to do at least 2 a month. I have set a goal!

Linda, I have to tell you again that I love your painting. It's bold and beautiful...you should be very proud of it!

Hi Nancy, Your winter scene is lovely. Are you going to use it for a Christmas card? Before I read everything, I looked at it and the tree didn't phase me a bit and then I read what you said and went back and looked at it...well, now I'm confused LOL But I agree with the other ladies about adding some blue. That would look really nice and probably convey a bit chillier temperature.

Nancy, The WIP is called "Soft Romantic Landscape WIP."

Nancy Leone
11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys for your input for Mom's xmas card. Decided to make it blue....posted over in card riot thread.
Paula, Glad to hear you will be doing more demos! Thanks.

HarvestMoon
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Here is a pastel pencil over watercolor and ink... just for fun.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/57497-cyprus.jpg

khourianya
12-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Very fun, Linda and oh so Van Gogh! :) I really like it! (Your trees up there are incredible too - love those fall colours!)

scall0way
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
LOL, Linda I was going to say how Van Gogh-ish of you, but I see Cori beat me to the punch. :)

E-J
12-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Linda, your landscape definitely has the POW!! factor. (That's like the "wow" factor, only it packs a bigger punch!) Glad to see you are enjoying all those gorgeous pastels of yours.

Nancy, that's a pretty card. Each year I tell myself I will design my own Christmas card but I haven't got around to it yet! I'm off to check out the Riot to see what changes you made.

Khadres
12-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Add a nice star to that tree, purples, and you have your Xmas card ready-made!

HarvestMoon
12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Bah- humbug :D I married into a family that, is exceptionally big on Christmas, and, wierdly enough does not 'do' Christmas cards. So the last few years I have not been in the mood for it, until about April, then it is too late.... but I may buy some cheap commercial ones as I am long overdue sending them to cousins, aunts, and such on my side of the family- although I have called them all recently to make sure they survived the hurricanes. But you guys have me feeling more cheerful this year, so I may just stop being such a grinch!!! I will spare them all the long 'family' form letter like my sister does LOL....

Paula Ford
12-03-2005, 10:39 AM
OMGosh! I never received a notification message for this post Linda. I LOVE it!!! How big is it? If it's small, please redo it in a big size...it's worth it!!

As Cori and Debbie said, you're style is so Van Gogh...ish!

Keep goin girl. You're definately on a roll with great paintings!

Paula

scall0way
12-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I will spare them all the long 'family' form letter like my sister does LOL....

Gosh, family letters are one of my *favorite* things to get in Xmas cards. I just love them. I have several friends who enclose really long family form letters in their Christmas cards, and I look forward to getting those cards all year long. Friends who just sign their names, or even a simple "Happy Holidays" bug me, I want to know what is going in with their lives! Where is their LETTER!

I always write a letter to enclose in mine as well, :D