PDA

View Full Version : Trail's End

Mikki Petersen
11-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi all! I was given an assignment to do a still life set up and then I noticed the Stilllife Project going on so I gathered together some of my favorite things to create my very own still life set up and painting. This is my hiking gear. I set it up in a variety of arrangements until I was satisfied with one of the photos.

Trail's End
Giraults on Ersta Sanded (beige)
13"x16"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/14550-trailsend_2.JPG

Notice I say the painting was done with Giraults? I got the complete set as an early Christmas gift and love them so much! Such subtle colors!

C&Cs always appreciated.
Mikki

Paula Ford
11-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Mikki!

Where's the painting???? OH, this IS the painting! Fabulous! The colors and set up couldn't be better...great job and thank you for showing it!

Paula

ponting
11-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Oh Mikki this is wonderful. I love the way the background looks almost monochromatic emphasizing the important objects. The two rocks or rock and paper in the top right corner are almost identical in colour and size. Possibly if one were altered they wouldn't be so eye-catching. I like that you have included some of the bottle blue in the shoe spreading that strong colour around the painting.

How do you like Estra compared to Wallis or La Carte?

Cheers and well done!! :clap:

Dianna

HarvestMoon
11-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Mikki- a super nice painting- and I want your wonderful leather backpack :D I love the details in the background- and a great idea for an unusual still life!

Mikki Petersen
11-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone!

Dianna, I was worrying about those rocks...I took one out but then the area looked too empty. They are both rocks, one a kind of shale, very flat, and the other piece looks like petrified sponge (?). Maybe I'll try making one more gray and change the shape.

As for the Ersta...well, it's not archival and that's how I came to have a piece because my instructor, Margot Schulzke, had a supply and is no longer using it so she gave pieces of it to each of her students to fuss with. Texture-wise, it's similar to Wallis but not quite as gritty, same heaviness to the paper though. Shame it's not archival because it sure is cheaper than Wallis.

Purples, that leather rucksack isn't nearly as effective as the lightweight nylon packs are...it's heavy without anything in it...but it sure is pretty, isn't it.

I'm going to go fuss with those rocks.

Mikki

K Taylor-Green
11-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh you lucky thing, you!! Giraults for Christmas, and early at that!!

This is a fabulous painting, from set up to compleation. Just Super!

ponting
11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I would suggest changing the size of the one tucked behind the bag.

Cheers, Dianna

Bringer
11-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Mikki,

An achievement and an objective for many of us to be abble to paint like that.

Linda said :«Mikki- a super nice painting- and I want your wonderful leather backpack I love the details in the background- and a great idea for an unusual still life!»

Well, next time you hike, don't forget to let Linda carry your gears, it will make you feel much better by the end of the day :-)

Regards,

José

Mikki Petersen
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Mikki,

An achievement and an objective for many of us to be abble to paint like that.

Linda said :«Mikki- a super nice painting- and I want your wonderful leather backpack I love the details in the background- and a great idea for an unusual still life!»

Well, next time you hike, don't forget to let Linda carry your gears, it will make you feel much better by the end of the day :-)

Regards,

José

:evil: :evil: :p :rolleyes: :wave: Jose, I got a good laugh from that one!

Thanks, Dianna...I've been musing on how to fix this. Your suggestion sounds like a winner.

Mikki

Merethe T
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Wonderful painting!!! I was looking for the painting - it look so real!!! Beautiful colors, and so great to see these unsual still life items, the set-up works perfectly, can almost smell the leaves and fresh air.... Super job!!!

Mikki Petersen
11-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Thank you Merethe! These are some of my favorite things. I admire still life paintings of fruit, of antique objects, of all sorts of things, but they don't necessisarily move me to grab my pastels. So I went for a sort of landscape still life.

Mikki

Bhavana Vijay
11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
WOW!This is wonderful!i love the shoe thats resting on the other one very much.the bottle looks plastic and not glass!and the shades look so real...the more i see it the more i love it.and it has so much meaning since its something personal to you.really beautiful.

Nancy Leone
11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Well done, Mikki! Great background, colors, comp, etc.!

Beanie
11-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Mikki - its all been said! Its a really great painting - stunning.

bjcpaints
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM
My first thought was - Oh, she must have accidently posted an acrylic version here! Very nice work Mikki! Certainly something for me to aspire to!
Barbara

Mikki Petersen
11-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to look and comment. I'm glad the response is so positive because I like the painting a great deal.

Mikki

Pinecone Conniff
11-29-2005, 08:11 PM
I just have to add how much I really like this painting!:)
I love that you chose items in your "still life" that mean a lot to you...this reflects your personality & no doubt lots of others hikers can relate as well!
It's great to take an assignment & really put "you" into it...
Awesome!:clap:
Annette

Khadres
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Well, everybody else is right...this is great! Very cool idea. Love the leather texture!