PDA

View Full Version : Soft Romantic Landscape WIP

Paula Ford
11-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Hello All, I promised a WIP, so here it is. I am using the same photo as I did for Misty Morning Walk.

11" x 14" on Wallis paper. The first thing I do is bond Wallis paper to acid-free foam board. Double Tack Acid Free Mounting Film from Jerry's works really great. I cut 2 1/2" squares and only bond at the four corners.

In the first shot I do a little sketch and start doing the underpainting. I use really dark colors. In this I'm using the darkest Grey Purple by Mount Vision and really dark gray and black FC Polychromos.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-1-wc.jpg

Continuing the underpainting using very dark colors, except for the land in the center of the painting where the ground is a golden color and light green, and lots of lavender for the upper portion of background trees.

I use long horrizontal strokes for the foreground, in many different colors. Horrizontal for a reason...will tell you why in the final stages. Mount Visions, PC's, Giraults.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-2-wc.jpg

Start using colors. No detail. Just enough to add color to the background.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-3-wc.jpg

Again, more colors in the background, no detail. I actually tap with my finger tip so that there are no hard edges between colors.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-4-wc.jpg

Sorry about this photo. My camera decided to use its flash :evil:
Started adding in trees and limbs using really sharp black and brown pastel pencils, and start scumbling in greens for bushes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-5=wc.jpg

This is always a very difficult part for me. I wanted a very transparent look in the foreground trees so that the background color would show through them.
It is very easy to overdo at this point. I'm trying to think "mass" and not every individual leaf, also trying to soften all hard edges.

I can see now that I'm in the home stretch so more colors, leaves and twigs are added to the foreground.

Remember the long horrizontal strokes earlier? Well, it's time to put in the grasses in front. Making sure there is plenty of pastel laid down already and hardly any paper showing, I take different colors of oranges and ochre Polychromas and start to pull down vertically in short strokes. The vertical strokes blend the colors in the horrizontal strokes. The great thing about this is that the horrizontal strokes in darker colors still show through in spots. The Polychromos are the perfect size for this. I also add in a blade or two of grass every once in a while.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-7-wc.jpg

Well, here is the final. As a final step, I took a Terry Ludwig medium green and skimmed it lightly over the foreground bushes to blend everything together slightly. I didn't want the appearance of any detail, just soft, soft, soft, romantic landscape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/1978-final-wc.jpg

momof6
11-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Thank you Paula! A mentor vote from me!

binkie
11-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks so much, Paula! I'm learning a lot from the demos, and will definitely add yours to my collection. The trouble I have with it is that you make it look so easy when I know it is anything but. It's your talent and skill which makes such a striking painting!

binkie
I also rated this thread.

*Marina*
11-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Thank you Paula for the demo, very interesting to see. And another great picture to your autumn series.

prettytulips
11-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Paula,

Thanks for the WIP...:) It was very helpful, now I know I'm overworking my paintings.. When you tap your finger, is it just a tap or a slight smudge? The grass in the foreground, did you smudge using fingers at all for that or use only the TL medium green to blend?

Thanks!
S

Dark_Shades
11-27-2005, 06:10 AM
What a beautiful detailed and simple WIP to follow ......... culminating in another wonderful painting Paula - this is EXACTLY what we Wannabe Landscapers want :)
Im sure its going to be invaluable to others as it is to me....... gets my Votes all round

Well done on all accounts :clap:

Have Rated the thread - Top Marks ...... going make it offline too lol

HarvestMoon
11-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Paula, a beautiful landscape- and a fantastic demo- please put it in the library and I will try to somehow get a printer connected to this contraption and print it out as well! Really much better than taking art classes seeing how you do that layering and why- can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
How can I save this offline?
Linda

Orchidacea
11-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Paula, this is a GREAT WIP!!!! You've made it so clear and easy to follow...and thanks for including your sticks in the early photos.

Excellent, excellent job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

THANK YOU!

Dark_Shades
11-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Linda:

go to top of your screen - see 'Favourites' and click on it, box opens, and "add to favourites".... and click/tick box "Make Available Offline"

Alessandra Rosi
11-27-2005, 09:43 AM
You work is really stunning! Wow! Great lesson, great painting, great painter!!WOWAlessandra

Sketchcny
11-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Paula,

A wonderful demo!!! Thank you for taking the time to assemble the pics and the narrative. It reminds me to keep my work loose and not overwork it.

I, too, gave you a mentor point.

You certainly communicated the sense of romance and ease in your painting. A simply lovely piece. :angel:

Paula Ford
11-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Paula,

Thanks for the WIP...:) It was very helpful, now I know I'm overworking my paintings.. When you tap your finger, is it just a tap or a slight smudge? The grass in the foreground, did you smudge using fingers at all for that or use only the TL medium green to blend?

Thanks!
S

Thank you! I tap tap tap with my finger and actually get finger prints all over and then smudge them a bit so you can't see them :D . I let the Polychromos do most of the blending on the grass.

The grasses in the foreground just a few times here and there I'll use just the very tip of my finger with little short upward strokes.

I used the TL only in the bushes, not on the grass.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! It was lots of fun and I hope it will help you in achieving beautiful landscapes. I'll do another one soon. Planning to do another painting this afternoon of the After the Leaves Series. (I'll include all the pastel sticks I use in it. :D )

Paula

Merethe T
11-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Paula - this is an excellent VIP, and what a beautiful painting it is!!! Thank you so much for doing this, very helpfull and informative! I made it available offline, and rated and gave points aswell - as you deserve!! :)

But you make it look so easy, I know it isn't this is pure skill and talent....:)

Mikki Petersen
11-27-2005, 11:20 AM
You have such beautiful scenery near you and you do such a lovely job painting it. It's great to see your step by step. I like your grissaile-like beginning.

Mikki

HarvestMoon
11-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Sigh. Even with this wonderful step-by-step, mine turned out a mess- the first time I have brushed off the entire page and washed the wallis. well, I am going to try again, and again, until I can get it- but you sure make it look easy- it is still actually quite complex, all the layers, etc... I am sure art is a skill that can be improved with lots of practice- but I am also sure that many people really are natural artists, and it all comes much easier for them ! May be having a heck of a pastel sale soon and take up- um, watching soap operas or something.... :eek:

Nicoclaus
11-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Wonderful and easy to follow tutorial. Thank you for sharing your technique and process;)

Paula Ford
11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Sigh. Even with this wonderful step-by-step, mine turned out a mess- the first time I have brushed off the entire page and washed the wallis. well, I am going to try again, and again, until I can get it- but you sure make it look easy- it is still actually quite complex, all the layers, etc... I am sure art is a skill that can be improved with lots of practice- but I am also sure that many people really are natural artists, and it all comes much easier for them ! May be having a heck of a pastel sale soon and take up- um, watching soap operas or something.... :eek:Don't you dare stop now!! You have GREAT potential!! It just takes time, patients and concentration (I lack in the concentration thing).

Linda, I swear to you I never even picked up a pencil all of my life. All of this was taught to me. And now it is the love I have inside me of beautiful landscapes that keeps me going and learning. If ever I can be any assistance, please ask! Paula

Paula Ford
11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Wonderful and easy to follow tutorial. Thank you for sharing your technique and process;) You are very welcome!!
Paula

Charles Perera
11-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Thankyou for this lesson in a pastel landscape. It has been explained well in a few short paragraphs, yet quite explicitly.

I really liked the painting. I may have liked it better without the tree with red leaves.

Thankyou,

Charles

HarvestMoon
11-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Paula- when I taught people all around the world how to use geological software, I had unlimited patience- really- then having kids at 30 something and worrying that they would fall down our terribly steep staircase or from the top of a tree or something sort of turned my brain to jello. Now I lack both patients and concentration- I do have time however. LOL I will keep at it... you are a wonderful teacher, I am just sort of a terror as a student!

Beanie
11-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Paula - a great demo. Thank you very much indeed. You make it look so easy when I know for sure it is very, very difficult to get that lovely finish you obtain. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shari
11-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Paula,

Thanks for the enlightening tutorial. I made a huge mess of the picture we talked about on the phone and I am going to start over. I love what you did with the purples laid in first. Would you get the same effect using a dark paper, like a la carte in a dark purple or blue? Keep posting tutorials, PLEASE!!!! Seeing this really helps.

HarvestMoon
11-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Paula- I tried this a 2nd time without the kids around, and here is my version- not nearly as nice as yours but much better than my usual! I am having trouble with the pictue uploader today...

Paula Ford
11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Shari, Yes, the same effects would be achieved using a dark paper, but then I'd have to fight that dark color when painting the sky.

I've been thinking about our conversation and it dawned on me, and you told me this, that you do impressionistic, which means you probably don't use the dark dark colors I mentioned on the phone for your underpainting. Maybe start with a beautiful purple instead of black/dark purple.

I'm sorry your painting didn't turn out. Please try it again, or pm me with it so that I can see how to help.

I wanted to mention to everyone...in the step in laying in the grass with the Polychromos, when there is plenty of pastel laid down in the horrizontal strokes, take the square tip of the pastel (NOT the point of the tip) and use vertical short strokes.

Didn't want anyone to use the sharp point of the pastel. If you did use the point it would create the individual blades of grass and that's not what you want to achieve in this painting.

Linda, It is WONDERFUL !!! I love your style! (I think they are working on the website and that's why you may be having trouble.)

Paula

Nancy Leone
11-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Paula. Simple, clear and to the point.

bjcpaints
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
You work is really stunning! Wow! Great lesson, great painting, great painter!!WOWAlessandra

I so agree!!!

maddy777
11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Paula this thread got me motivated to paint something and not give up after ten minutes as I have been the last few weeks, Thank you!!

Purples although your style is very different to Paula's I think your version is also fantabulous!! It is so vibrant. I think you are too hard on yourself !

Anyway here is my version, nothing Like yours Paula ( or yours purples)but it was great working to your instructions and actually layering different colours rather than my usual same colour different tints! I think I am a bit heavy handed so can't get any degree of softness that you have in your painting.
mads

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2005/69100-paulas_lesson.jpg

Paula Ford
11-29-2005, 06:33 PM
maddy,

I am so very glad I helped you and have to say, you have achieved a soft romantic landscape!

Everyone's styles will be different, but at least you are trying different techniques and doing things not the same way you normally do them.

I am going to challenge each and every one of you to try this painting. Give yourself an hour to sit down and follow along with the steps above. Do it fast and don't analyze it! It is so much fun to see how you all will interpret this.

Hope to see more fabulous paintings soon!

Thank you all for the kind words!

Paula
(P.S. Another WIP/Demo coming soon:cat: )

Clare in Texas
11-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Dear Paula,
It is lovely. Sorry to be late in replying. We are on the road and wont be back til Xmas week. I enjoyed Hot Springs and saw a number of pastels. Yours is better.
Clare in Texas

Khadres
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Lots of good coming out of this WIP! So glad you did this, Paula. I've always thought that seeing how someone does it is worth a million tries at explaining it in words. Seeing is definitely believing!

Paula Ford
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much Clare! Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks Sooz! I really enjoyed sharing this with everyone.

Paula

Bhavana Vijay
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Paula, thank you soo much for the tutorial!!:clap: It is wonderful.I have been waiting to get back from my vacation to try it.you make it look so easy!
heres my version, not happy with it :crying: ...hardly romantic!i really loved your lavender background, i tried doing it.but after the underpainting everything turned black!:( i had a loot of fun tho!:)

Paula Ford
12-02-2005, 09:40 PM
You are so very welcome Bhavana!

You should be very happy with this because it definately looks soft and romantic! Great job!

What do you mean it turned black after the underpainting?

Paula

Paula Ford
12-02-2005, 09:40 PM
You are so very welcome Bhavana!

You should be very happy with this because it definately looks soft and romantic! Great job!

Paula

Bhavana Vijay
12-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Paula

I did the underpainting with black and purple.When i tried to go over it with lavender(didnt have that beautiful shade tho) it all turned into a mushy dark blackish colour.And i couldnt do much to make it lighter.

Paula Ford
12-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Bhavana,

What type of paper were you using. When I use Wallis paper, I don't get the muddy color you describe.

Paula

cascadeoflove
12-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Paula believe me it was really great to see your work in progress. What a classy demonstration from an artist like you.

I want to give you a theme, can you make that? If yes! then here is that theme. *Beautiful aged tree and a Old/antique chair*

I swear that will look cool. Looking forward for this.

Regards.

Paula Ford
12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
That would be a wonderful theme for a painting Jay...thank you for the great idea!

scall0way
12-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe I just discovered this thread, but I did miss a lot when I was in NC for US Thanksgiving as I had almost no online access. Paula, I just adore your landscapes and would love to be able to create ones as fine as you do. This is a great WIP. I just printed off the entire thread, and hope to try this when I get have a chance soon.

It looks like flying by the seat of the paints a bit, as I like to have a fairly detailed drawing before I begin laying down color. Is this Belgian Mist Wallis? It looks like about a zillion steps between your finished painting and the photo step before it though. :)

Paula Ford
12-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Debbie,
Thank you so much! Hope this helps a bit!

LOL, I hardly draw at all. Sometimes NOT at all.

This is Wallis white. It's easier for me to have a vision on just plain white paper.

I know what you mean about seeming like there are a million steps, but really all I did was to lightly skim over the top of things to soften all edges and added a bit of detail and depth here and there. They biggest change is the grass in front.

Thanks again Debbie!

Bhavana Vijay
12-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Bhavana,

What type of paper were you using. When I use Wallis paper, I don't get the muddy color you describe.

Paula

I used canson, could that be the reason?maybe i will try unperpainting again when i receive my wallis paper.