PDA

View Full Version : Value Manipulation

carld
11-27-2005, 12:19 AM
I am looking for an easy way to change values of similar objects, shapes, in photographs. An example might be a landscape with a number of plants with the same color (sage bush, poplars) that would have the same value in a black and white photo. Being able to change values would give an easy way to study different black and white patterns prior to painting.

If the photo has some value changes, I can posterize it, increase the contrast, and convert it to black and white.

I was able to push the values in the first photo. I would like to be able to selectively change some of the bushes in the second one. I normally use Photoshop Elements 2. I also have Photoshop 6 and am looking for an excuse to get Corel Painter.

Any advise would be welcome.

Carl

Smokin
11-27-2005, 03:51 AM
Well, Painter is a great tool for artists or aspiring artist, but its no match for the photo manipulation powers of PS.

If I had that project in front of me I would either:

_use the dodge and burn tools.
_copy layer , get the values just right on whatever and erase the rest. (use softer edge and hard edge brushes for this.
_try the lasso tool then go and edit the values.
_or create a layer with the blending mode to lighted or darken , and paint over whatever, and use the opacity setting of the layer to adjust.