PDA

View Full Version : Portrait attempt

Chiers
11-26-2005, 08:21 PM
This is sad but it's a throw away so ....Painted for the wde today.

jhercilia
11-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Sherry, how come you don't like it? It's good!

Jet
11-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Sherry,, glad you're going freehand!!

Too bad this type of works don't get much attention nor recognition from the majority..:(
This picture is your creative personal version , one that has your own artistic style, and taking in consideration it has been done without cloning the original image...:clap: it certainly is a great result

Congrats!
:cool:

Chiers
11-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Janet thanks, I guess maybe I should just quit trying to do portraits. I cannot work up any enthusiasm for them, and I guess thats why they never look as good to me as I think they should. I try every now and then but the result is usually the same. The only one I ever did that I really was satisfied with was of Elvis. And that was because there was love in every stroke! LOL

Thank you Jet. Most of what I do has always been freehand though. It's nothing new for me I was doing it when I was a young child. When I trace its because I simply don't want to take the time to draw at times when I paint. However most of the subjects I paint are pretty easy to quickly sketch anyway. And often its easier just to start in painting without even a sketch. I thank you for the compliment, but I just don't feel like I am happy with it. Again, probably because its a portrait. I seem to be leaning heavily lately towards abstract and wanting to do something a bit more creative.

barryt
11-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Sherry I think it's lovely. I especially like the top of the head. The problem with portraits is that often a idea that you must get a likeness gets in the way of creativity, whereas a landscape or whatever is looked at for what it is. I like portraits because you're working with known pieces, eyes ears mouth, and yet each time get a different picture. :clap: :clap:

Skinny
11-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Attempt? ATTEMPT? What attempt?! This is excellent, Sherry. I love that crooked smile.

jhercilia
11-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I agree with Barry. Sherry, if you like abstracts so much why don't you incorportate people in an abstract manner into your paintings. This way 'likeness' won't get in your way as far a creativity. Give it a try!

Bytemebabs
11-27-2005, 11:43 AM
The only one I ever did that I really was satisfied with was of Elvis. And that was because there was love in every stroke! LOL

I seem to be leaning heavily lately towards abstract and wanting to do something a bit more creative.

Sherry, I actually burst out loud laughing with that first comment lol! I am like that with Johnny Depp.

In response to the next comment, then paint what makes you happy and fullfills your creative desires.

And in response to you portrait, I seem to be rubbing off on you lol. I think it is lovely and can't see why you think it is not.

Us Artist (winks @ Dave), are our worst critics! It is time we "snap out of it!".
Babs

Chiers
11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Barry and Skinny, Thanks!

I agree with Barry. Sherry, if you like abstracts so much why don't you incorportate people in an abstract manner into your paintings. This way 'likeness' won't get in your way as far a creativity. Give it a try!
Janet, I have done this on occasion but I am just not satisfied with it in the digital medium. I have one, a self portrait that I think you have all probably seen before. I printed it on canvas paper and then added some soft pastels on top of that. I will scan it to show you in a minute here. I have been doing more abstract and contempary art but only in traditional mediums. I don't really like abstract in digital. The main reason for that is I like them very very large. Small abstracts do nothing for me and I cannot afford to have them printed out at the size I like them. And would have to make some additions to them like I did with my self portrait even then before I would be satisfied.

Sherry, I actually burst out loud laughing with that first comment lol! I am like that with Johnny Depp.
Babs, I just can't help it. He was my first love, and he'll be my last. Silly ole granny aren't I. LOL
And in response to you portrait, I seem to be rubbing off on you lol. I think it is lovely and can't see why you think it is not.
I just think its that we all have our niche when it comes to art. I would love to be able to paint portraits as well as some of our fellow members here. I am totally enthralled with Joels talent when it comes to portraits. Still, I cannot work up enough interest to do them. But the only ones I really want to do wold be for myself. Kids, grandkids and the like. Not really any desire to paint people I don't know. So I'm in between a rock, and a hard place. I want the talent to do it, but don't have enough desire to learn. Hee hee
Someday perhaps I will figure out just where my niche is but as I have said...leaning heavy to the ab/con direction.

Chiers
11-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Mixed media me. Digital/soft pastel.
Jeff Chandler was my first crush until Elvis won my heart. These were amoung the very first digital portraits I ever did. They were painted in psp7.

barryt
11-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow Sherry I remember Jeff Chandler. All three portraits are fine.

justjean
11-27-2005, 04:52 PM
three VERY nice ones Sherry, can't say if you got your likeness but it looks good, Now Jeff is great ... but Elvis WOW :clap: :clap:

jhercilia
11-27-2005, 04:54 PM
They are all great. You are definitely telented for portraiture.

leofaerie17
11-27-2005, 09:27 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

HI Sherry been MIA anyway I love your guy,im trying to do him at the moment LOL anyway im the same with portraiture, ive tried and tried but am never really happy with mine either so I know how u feel and i also used to love Jeff but instead of Elvis I fell for Crash Craddock does anyone remember him LOL ( nearly falling off my chair) :D :D :D

TxAggieDarlin
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
WhoooHoooo Elvis, I never noticed that before and it is awesome!!

I like this portrait too...I think you did a very good job. I am not crazy about portrait work either....good thing there are other things for me to paint !

Chiers
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all your comments!

TX, I look at it this way, if we all only did portraits it would get pretty boreing. I think thats why we were created with such a wide variety of likes and dislikes. Variety is the spice of life.