PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Horses - finished

Becky Foster
11-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Here is "Belgian Horses", a commission I did for the owner of the this pair. 20x24 inches, oil pastel on stretched canvas. Comments and critiques very welcome!

Take care animal lovers!
-BeckyT

cyber_holic
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
WOW BECKY! These are really good, I can't believe its oil too! The bridles look really soft and leathery and the hair on the horses is really well done too!

WELL DONE!

I'd love to see more of your work so please post us some more! :clap:

Ceiliog
11-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Becky - this is nice - I saw this pic in the RIL as well - but only did one of the 2 horses - and nowhere near the detail that you have managed

Becky Foster
11-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Becky - this is nice - I saw this pic in the RIL as well - but only did one of the 2 horses - and nowhere near the detail that you have managed

Actually this is from a photo I took of my client's actual horses.

Thanks,
-BeckyT

Troy Rochford
11-26-2005, 05:00 PM
This is great. Wonderful job on the textures in this piece.

Becky Foster
11-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks so much Mel and Troy! This was a very interesting painting to make. I really learned a lot from it.

Ceiliog - sorry I was so brisk in my earlier reply to you...that's interesting that you painted a similar horse from a similar photo. I've never posted any photos on WC. Thanks for the kind words!

-BeckyT

LightDancer
11-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Becky, this is beautiful! I love Belgians, and you've captured these two beautifully. I also LOVE your zoom view, with the tight crop on their faces. And the colors in the background, putting some blue, and then the soft warm tones on the lower left. Just lovely!!! Your client is a lucky customer! :)

jody007
11-27-2005, 04:23 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well All of the good comments are taking LOL! So I just agree with everyone else outstanding work!!!

JOdy :D

FaeLynn
11-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Becky!
Oh my goodness! This is really outstanding work! Please, please post more!
I've been a good girl and Christmas is coming! :D
Wow when you said it's oil pastel, I did a double take. I have only done one piece, the one of the Easter Island rock dude faces in my sig line... in oil pastel (the water-soluble kind) and, I can NOT imagine being able to get the depth and detail which you got in your work. With this in mind, would you consider doing a work in progress for us sometime????
I know your client is gonna flip when they see this!
:clap: :clap: :clap: very nice, and thank you for sharing!
~Fae Lynn

Margaret Dent
11-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Becky,

this is beautiful! I love the softness of their faces and the leather tack is done fantasticly. I always though oil pastels would be hard to be very detailed with but obviously you know how to handle them!

Margaret.

Becky Foster
11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Karen, I'm glad they turned out looking like Belgians...I've never spent much time around horses so I was a little nervous :o I knew the painting would be a little busy with all the fur detail and harness detail so I tried to make the background nice and cool and peaceful on the eyes. Happy you like it :)

Thanks very much for the kind words Jody and Margaret! Margaret, I do my oil pastels on ultrasmooth canvas and have invented techniques to suit the support - I think it's quite different from working on paper. I find it pretty simple to get fine details - but I don't do any drawing, I start with big messy blobs and don't really tighten things up til the final layers. Glad you like it - your work is BEAUTIFUL :clap:

Hi FaeLynn :wave: You're soooooo sweet! My next commission is of a house, but maybe I'll do a wip thread when I do another animal painting. So happy you like it. Here's some close-ups.

Thanks again, take care everyone!
-BeckyT

brushandknife
11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
This is gorgeous. :clap: :clap: :clap: Oh, please do a work in progress. Please, please. I have just started working with pastels, and have a few oil pastels, but never have used them. Would love to try them but know nothing at all about them. What is different with what you use as far as how you use it as opposed to paper? What are some of the technics? How many pastels do you have to create something like this. There don't seem to be as many choices in oil pastels. Am I too curious? :D Lots of questions.
Carol :wave:

bjcpaints
11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Very pretty Becky and I love the crop!
Barbara

Becky Foster
12-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks Barbara!

Hi Carol :wave: , no such thing as too curious...

Hmmm, if you're really interested the oil pastel forum would probably be your best bet for information. There's about a million ways to use op's! They adhere to about any surface. I use ultrasmooth stretched canvas - the biggest difference I've noticed is paper often has "tooth", so many artists use the op itself like a brush - the tooth is used to catch the individual layers as they're applied. As the canvas I use has no tooth at all I pile my layers on by rubbing my finger on the op and dabbing it on top of the layers underneath. I also blend colors on a pallette sometimes and rub my fingers in them and dab them on.

I usually use Sennelier op's for the first layers - they're very greasy and creamy and you can get really thick layers with them. For dabbing on additional layers and mixing on a pallette I use Holbein - they're a bit dryer. Holbeins have 225 colors, Sennelier has 150 colors (I think) and also come in giant sized and metallic. Caran d'ache makes them too, theirs are the hardest...I've never found much use for them but lots of other artists do.

Oil pastels are a very new medium and I think they're still in an experimental stage. There's a few books out there but new techniques are being invented all the time. I wasn't an artist until I found them - they really click with the way I like to work and they're still the only medium I ever use. I think the trick with them is to keep an open mind - and don't expect them to work like regular pastels!

-BeckyT