PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Graphics Tablet for Student

ArtMom42
11-26-2005, 01:22 AM
This is a cross-post from the Computers/Technology Forum and I apologize if I am violating a rule in doing this.

My daughter has requested a drawing tablet for Chanukah. Can anyone comment on the merits of Wacom, Aitpek, Medion, etc.? What size is best for someone new to this medium?

What she wants to do with it is good question. I think her primary interest is more graphics oriented, particularly for creating manga. She will have school uses for it because she will probably have a multimedia segment next year in 9th grade. I don't know if she will attempt to do her fine arts assignments on it, but can't say for sure. I have no idea what she might want to do with it for school assignments outside of her art classes.

We also plan to get her Illustrator. Will Adobe CS-2 do what she needs (really gifted, but still earlier in training, applying to an art high school) or do we need to get the Professional? We saw a demonstration of Photoshop at one of the school open houses (not even the one we want) and I was totally blown away.

At this point, I am willing to go to the mid-point on price to get somthing for her that will perform well and not frustrate her with lots of technical problems while she is learning to use it. Versatility would be good so that she can explore different ways of using this tool with results that reflect her efforts and talents and are not unduly compromised by the quality of the equipment.

Also, is now the time to get a MAC for her?

Any other recommendations on the right technology for a high school freshman who will (hopefully) be in a serious art program would be appreciated.

Regards,

Maria

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/THETHO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif (javascript:;)

Elvira
11-26-2005, 11:31 AM
A Wacom Graphir would probably be just fine it is a very good tablet, however if money is no object then an Wacom Intous would be all she may ever need other than to upgrade to a newer version someday, I get the 6" X "8 it is a good middle of the road size and won't take up too much desk space.

As far as getting a Mac, today most of what is done on a Mac can be done on a PC, if you have the right system, there is also a wider range of software available for the PC. Personally I think you get more for your money with custom built PC. Just be sure the people who build it for you know exactly what the machine will be used for. At this time the only reason I'd choose a Mac would be if the school she were to go to used only Mac.
Edie

jhercilia
11-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I recommend Wacom Intuos (any size). As for software you can get student prices on all Adobe programs and Painter. PC are less costly than Macs and there are more programs available to choose from. But, shools usually have Macs and if she needs to transfer programs between school and home then it would be better to also have Mac. But take into consideration also that when schools provides laptops they don't allow you to use it for anything else but school work.

Skinny
11-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Wacom is definitely the way to go....whether it's the graphire or the Intuos will depend on your budget... :wave:

jhercilia
11-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I hate the Graphire. I am using it right now with my laptop and many times I have to click twice because it does not register, no matter how I tweek the settings in the control panel.

barryt
11-28-2005, 06:10 AM
We are among professionals here, so heed there advice.
For what it's worth here is my amateur opinion.
Wacom definately go for Intuos range, but if cost an issue I do ok with a Graphire.
Go for an iMac. You get build quality. I would prefer a Lexus to a mass produced car anyday. It's elegant, in use as well as looks, has as many progams as you would want, and for pleasure you have iTunes, GarageBand, iPhoto and other goodies to play with.