PDA

View Full Version : Beware of scams

Nancy Leone
11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi guys,
Have received 3 e-mail scams today. Said they saw my work on art agent.com. Want to buy my work, in a hurry, poor English, willing to buy another work if the one that they first saw (which they don't describe) isn't available.
Just thought you should all be aware and careful.

Bringer
11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Clear as water : pay first get the work after. Just as any other business where there's no credit contract

Regards,

Josť

K Taylor-Green
11-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh no, not again! Why do these people think that they can get away with this kind of thing?!

khourianya
11-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Because there are people out there who will believe them...those of us who are smarter than the scam will do fine.

Paula_NZ
11-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Is this the scam where they send you a check for more than the agreed amount. Then you kindly offer to send them a check drawn on your account for the over payment. Then come to find out their check bounces higher than Michael Jordan jumps and you are out $$$$. I just heard about this one.

Dark_Shades
11-25-2005, 04:12 AM
I got two yesterday........ from two different people ........ so I thought Id have some fun.... replied back, and both email addresses surprise surprise werent recognisable...... but strangeley enough I had a reply from one of them ..... both like yours Nancy werent not in very good english, neither described the painting....... one value painting I had recently Sold lol and not detailed as such........ the reply I got was that they were on business in Saudi Arabia and that the only cash they had was needed for their trip........ they could send a cheque, but needed to know how much to ship to Japan :) ....... they picked out another ....... so I told them I took Credit Cards ;) and they could buy it from EBay ..... ha ha ha

Nancy Leone
11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
I didn't get that far with mine. First e-mail was from Omar Brown (I think he is a football player :rolleyes: ). I did respond but his second e-mail he did not answer any of the questions that I asked him.

Paula, I'm not sure what the scam was....didn't take it far enough to find out. But I think you can tell when someone is in a big hurry to buy your work, they are often more concerned with price and shipping than the actual artwork, sometimes willing to buy any of your work. This was several people working together pretending to outbid each other on a painting I had just recently uploaded to My Gallery.

Dawn has good advice....refer them back to your website or auction to buy with credit cards....or don't respond at all.

I imagine this thread should have been under internet sales but just wanted everyone in the pastel forum to be aware.

HarvestMoon
11-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I had an ecommerce site- and sorry, but the credit card thing can go very bad too- esp. years ago when you could not check addresses to credit cards overseas- the number could be perfectly valid (stolen number, not the card so the card holder does not know). About the same story- wants a lot of things- needs it in a hurry- and in my case it was things you would not dream people would steal for- long story short, with the card the merchant can be badly burned too...... another one I could not resist was when someone was supposed to be dying and it was their dying wish to get such and such- and I would send all sorts of things- finally 'got it' when the same person said I had recommended him to another of MY websites and his dying wish was for.... mind you, there were some really valid causes- one lady did unfort. die- and schoolteachers for disabled kids, kids with cancer- but shipping to the work address (a charity or school) at least was better. I donated every handmade blanket, canned goods, bedding, sheets, and bought $400. worth of kid's art supplies for the local Katrina shelter since there was a radio call for bedding to bring there the day they arrived- now I hear the Red Cross has 80% of their donations go directly to administration- well, I hope the real victims in this case the kids got the art supplies to pass the time.

Nancy Leone
11-25-2005, 12:57 PM
It's sad when good people like you, Purples get hurt. I'm sure the kids got the art supplies (very good of you).....the administration would be more interested in the money (I would think)....I thought the Red Cross was a responsible organization to donate to.

Dark_Shades
11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Dont Paypal verify addresses when using credit cards?

this person is still emailing me, and wanting to pay by cheque - would this be a safe method?..... waiting for it to clear too though.....

All doesnt ring true though......... said their wife had just had a baby, is working in Saudi Arabia, and wants it shipped to Japan........
<O)))))))<

HarvestMoon
11-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Dark Shades- foreign checks take a long time to clear- you do super work- if they want to send an INTERNATIONAL MONEY ORDER, including the SHIPPING and take it to the bank for it to clear- then they are willing to wait for it then I would do it- a lot of folks do some work with Saudi Arabia, etc.- my husband just was asked to go to Abu Dabi for 2 weeks.... I have even sent things when it was 'science fair emergencies' and the folks only had discover cards- with 'the check is in the mail' and they turned out fine- and were very grateful- this one sounds a bit odd, but- saying that, the one country that I NEVER had a problem with was Japan- his wife could be there and he wants to send a present- women are not really welcome in Saudi....

PeggyB
11-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd start by going to my bank and asking them exactly what they require to insure the payment is valid. If the client isn't willing to wait for their payment to clear, then I'd skip the whole thing and stop communicating with them.

This sounds way toooo much like scams that have been going on for quite some time now.

Peggy

Dark_Shades
11-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Hello Purples..........

Many thanks for that...... so true what you have said....... if anything further develops I will let you know......... Im always suspicious at the best of times lol

I would of thought if away on business they would have a credit card available......

anyways, we'll see

Thanks again

HarvestMoon
11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Hmmm- yes, they really would have a credit card- no doubt about that- all my Japanese customers had them- I went so far as requiring another id as well- sometimes in japanese- for the shipping address (after being burned by an Austrian address)- and had folks translate the Japanese for me- but if someone is on business they MUST have a card- perhaps wary of you for taking the number LOL... although in belgium i almost croaked when 2 business guys paid for their hotel room in diamonds... no kidding...

Dark_Shades
11-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Hmmm- yes, they really would have a credit card- no doubt about that- all my Japanese customers had them- I went so far as requiring another id as well- sometimes in japanese- for the shipping address (after being burned by an Austrian address)- and had folks translate the Japanese for me- but if someone is on business they MUST have a card- perhaps wary of you for taking the number LOL... although in belgium i almost croaked when 2 business guys paid for their hotel room in diamonds... no kidding...

lol, perhaps I just put that down as accepted currency :) .... hmm diamonds ... lol .... Ha! they would probably be Zirconia's :D

binkie
11-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Sadly, you have to be careful of phony money orders now too.

binkie

Dark_Shades
11-27-2005, 07:42 PM
ohhhhhhhh gawd n bennett lol ............

Well Im still taking to this guy lol ........... am sure its a wind up .........

Nancy Leone
11-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Wishing you well with this, Dawn!

bnoonan
12-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Alas - I too heard from Omar Brown - in fact I did a "search" today in WC just to see if his name appeared on anyone else's radar - and lo and behold... look what I found.

He did inquire about having a piece shipped to Japan but when i inquired for more information - the e-mails stopped.

If he's a hoax and I'm sure he/she/it is.... then not so bright to use the same name over and over again on art-agent folks.

Hey Omar... if you are able to read this - (and we know you are), go away and stop bothering us!

Nancy Leone
12-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Well, I'm honored that Omar would want to hang one of my pieces next to a Noonan!:D

bnoonan
12-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, I'm honored that Omar would want to hang one of my pieces next to a Noonan!:D

Oh you crack me up!!! Hope you are enjoying the winter storms I hear that hit the cape! Did you lose power? Did you know I'm in Seattle now?

B

bnoonan
12-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey Nancy - get this one....

I wrote "Omar" and told him never to contact me again and that I knew he was a fraud and I'd seek him out if he ever did anything to my copyrighted material.

Here's his reply....

How can you talk like that.I would gottten to back you,but i lost my twin brother.that is what has kept out of the internet.I am a fashion designer,and thats my occupation.I am really interested in the work.So if you still interested in selling it to me,let me know so i can make arrangement for the check to be on its way.

what a jerk - can you believe this one?

anyway - avoid at all costs...... B

PeggyB
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Barb - it was great talking to you today - Omar is a "fashion designer"? :rolleyes: Yah sure ya betcha (as they say in parts of Seattle - Ballard) :wink2:

I've received some of these types of inquiries, but don't remember names just terrible spelling and grammer. My way of dealing with them is to promptly delete and not bother further. I figure if it is legit, they will write again. I've never gotten an inquiry with the same name twice, but it always has very similar wording.

Peggy

Dark_Shades
01-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Blimmey, its a bit dodgey being a twin brother these days isnt it ......
Id still kept in email contact with that person ........... he's twin brother died too, and thats why he hadnt been in contact...... so we carried on for awhile...... it got to that he STILL wanted my paintings, and decided that, hey! someone owed him some money and he would contact them and ask them to send me payment for my paintings.......... the he contacted me again and said there had been a mix up, the person whom owed him the money thought he had to send the WHOLE Balance owed by him to me (yeah right) and that a cheque was winging its way to me for 2000.00 - but he trusted me, I was a trust worthy man :eek: and that when I received the cheque I would take my dues and then send him a cheque for the outstanding balance....

Its money laundering

Rember the following Names and email address...... they come in through Art Agent ....... Deepat got emailed the other day too

janelaz kraal [email protected]

......... and I didnt get the cheque either ...... spoil sport lolol