PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best day to start an auction on Ebay??

IrishIsle
01-26-2002, 10:45 PM
Hey folks,
I need some advice on what days are best for selling art on ebay?
I heard that some days are better than others for starting, and particuarly, for ending auctions? If so, what about art? Is it just coincidence, or are there really better days?
Advice would be appreciated! :D

tammy
01-26-2002, 11:08 PM
I like to start a 7 day on a Sunday and end on a Sunday. But... You will get a wide variety of opinions on this question as others do well starting on other days. Its good to get 2 weekends in if possible though.

Sumafra
01-27-2002, 01:49 AM
I like my auctions to end on a Sunday evening. The best for me is to start a 10-day auction on Thursday night. It ends on a Sunday and I get 2 weekends in. However, I can't really tell you whether or not it works. I think it does.

IrishIsle
01-27-2002, 02:02 AM
hmm thats interesting you both said for it to end on weekends...my mom sells old childrens books, she buys and sells them on ebay. She has been for almost 3 years and she claims that the weekends are the best times to bid cause she gets such bargains!! lol. but then I heard that it is different with different items....so I'll give it a try! Thanks to both of you :) I guess experience is worth alot too.
Thanks for the help!:clap:

sportpony
01-27-2002, 09:29 AM
I haven't sold any art through eBay as yet although I am getting to the point where I will be soon. I have sold books and horse equipment through eBay though and have noted a couple of things.

Generally, Sunday night seems a good time to end auctions. The "theory" is that most people are home on Sunday nights, they're back if they've gone somewhere over the weekend and they will get on the computer to track bids on an item. Since I'm on the east coast, I also have found adjusting the "time" so that it's not "too early" for the west coast seems to help sometimes.

However, with the horse-related items, this doesn't always work as well during the horse show season ... if the horse people have been to a show all weekend, they get back late and exhausted from the last day of showing and are lucky to manage to get everything unloaded and fall into bed! If I sell art that I would be marketing to horse people, I will remember this.

In these cases, ending the auctions on a Thursday evening seems best. Friday evening they are packing and leaving for the shows ... Thursday they can still focus on something else.

What I've seen on the 5 and 7 day auctions for bidding patterns is that you will get "basic" bids ... prices up to a certain point ... the first 24 or 48 hours. Then not much activity until the last 24 hours and often just the last few hours. If there are several people that have bid on an item and are waiting to see how much it goes up, that's when they will be tracking the bidding. If you have just one or two, you may not get any last-minute bidding, just depends on who wants it and how badly ... and how much of a bargain they think it is.

I will try the 10 day auction a few times and see if there is more activity with two weekends ... but I've been pretty successful with the 5 and 7 days ... and actually not seen a lot of difference between the two. Early bids, period of no activity, then last day activity.

KatieMoe
01-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately, I think this is something you have to do the research on, by starting and ending auctions on each different day and watching your counters and bids.

I also was aware of many people saying Sundays, but when I went through the research, mine turned out to be Thursday early evenings.

I still do Sunday auctions as I do Tuesdays (which are oddly strong days for me as well). But Thursdays are my strongest day. Saturdays I get my worst responses but others have said Saturdays are good.

So I do think its different for different products and within art, possibly different for different subject areas or different price points. Best to just find out for yourself. And don't be afraid to test the theory every once in awhile even once you have figured out a formula.

CathyD
01-27-2002, 04:27 PM
I just started a 7 day auction last night. It will end at 10:30 Eastern next Saturday, I was wondering if that is too late in the day. We will see. I think I am going to make a little tracking chart and compare the different days and times I end auctions on. I used to list late at night, but am trying to not do that anymore because not everyone is night owls.

I usually only get only one bidder on my auctions, although occasionally there will be more than one. The most activity I ever had was on an auction that ended at 1:00 pm Mountain Standard Time.

Thanks to Caron, who, in another discussion introduced me to Mister Lister and now I will have some choices in when I list. With that service I can list auctions from work. I just barely seem to find time to paint and list and haven't had much time to explore what services ebay offers! I am sure there are other tools out there that can help us get the maximum from our auctions.

CarlyHardy
01-27-2002, 05:16 PM
I like for my auctions to end on weekday nights...around 9pm on the west coast. For that to happen I have to list from midnight to 1 am on the east coast! But I do get more bids if the west coast buyers feel they have an opportunity to get in on the final bidding!

If the auctions end around 9..in the central time zone...then most of my buyers will be central and eastern time zone buyers. It took me a couple of months to spot the trends for this...but now with a variety of clients who look for my art, I don't pay as much attention to the time zones. I do try and end auctions in the evenings since I feel more buyers are online at home in the evenings.

Just some of my observations...you'll have to list and see what works best for you.

By the way, when my auctions ended on weekends...I usually had only a couple of bids or none at all. I do try and list on Friday or Sat. nights sometimes....and let the auction run 10 days.

carly

Noble
01-28-2002, 04:46 PM
This is a bit of an aside, but it's a shame that the general bidding public doesn't make effective use of the system that e-bay has setup. It is called a proxy bid, and that means their computer (your proxy) bids for you up to your limit. People refuse to put in their limit but rather get themselves "tied" down to whever their auction will end etc.

It is sort of like a live auction where you use a "butler" to do the bidding for you up to some maximum. "James, you go bid for me for that piece at Friday's auction up to $100, any more and forget it." In many cases James will get a price lower than $100 unless someone at the auction wants it for more than $100. At that point they "should" get the peice because they are willing to pay more.

Anyway, all this "timing" would be unnecessary if bidders used the system to their best advantage. The simple answer is that the highest bid wins, period, no matter when it is entered. Of course we have to resort to all the timing bunk because people think they have to enter a new price everytime somebody puts in a bid, instead of just putting in their highest price they are willing to pay and let the "system" bid for them.

Paintbrush74
01-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Posted by Noble:

"Of course we have to resort to all the timing bunk because people think they have to enter a new price everytime somebody puts in a bid, instead of just putting in their highest price they are willing to pay and let the "system" bid for them."

I agree with you on that. Why can't we educate the people in our descriptions? This is what I did on my last auction. So far, no bids, but I just revised it a few minutes ago to include an ultra quick education on proxy bidding. I don't have the address on me but my seller name is Lenora_d if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about. My user name is in my title so a basic search will get it. It's the auction with the pansy.

Maggie J
01-29-2002, 07:59 AM
Posted by paintbrush:
"I agree with you on that. Why can't we educate the people in our descriptions? This is what I did on my last auction".

Paintbrush - that is a great idea. I think I may try it if you don't mind me 'stealing' your idea and then we'll see if it makes any difference!

:clap:

timelady
01-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Well, I uesd to proxy bid but don't anymore. When I tend to buy on eBay I know exactly what I want and want either a Buy-It-Now or an auction that is ending within 8 hours or so (and then do a proxy). I don't think I ever put in a bid before the last day. It's mainly called impatience - I know what I want and I want it NOW. :D

Just a perspective from an impulsive buyer.

(I don't know what days do best but I try to end in the early evening US time whatever day it is.)

Tina.

Paintbrush74
01-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Posted by Maggie:
Paintbrush - that is a great idea. I think I may try it if you don't mind me 'stealing' your idea and then we'll see if it makes any difference!

Sure Maggie, let's keep each other posted on what happens.

domsanto
01-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Whats the best day to start an auction on Ebay??

Payday- Good

Armageddon- Bad