PDA

View Full Version : Two cows

eutherpendragon
11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
This painting, although a studio piece, is small. The reason being that I prefer to work small even in a studio environment. It started out as an 8"x10", but I ran into so many compositional problems that I had to turn it into a "panoramic" by chopping off the bottom 2".

I did this particular piece based off a sketch and reference photo. Naturally, the cows weren't going to hold still, so I thought it better to develop the painting this way.

C&C welcome. I'm not sure what to think of it myself because I got so extremely frustrated with the piece during the process and entertained thoughts of giving painting up all together. But, I finished it and glad I did, although I had an Exedrin headache by the time I was finished. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/66975-Two_cows.jpg

antgeek
11-23-2005, 05:52 AM
this came out nice, and i like the format. invest in a bottle of 'excedrin', cuz ya gotta keep paintin'!

eutherpendragon
11-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Serra,

Thanks for the feedback!
I don't have a bottle of Exedrin in the house, but I do have some Advil set aside for the next time I do an oil. :D

- Ann

Cristy A
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Hello, Euther!
I enjoy this painting - esp the bold foreground brushwork and the sense of haze you've created with the treeline in the distance. There seems to be something of a tension set up by the similar stance and direction of the pair of cows. I'm not sure you want to go changing things at this point, (don't want to OD on analgesics), but if you were in the mood to mess with it, or make another, you might go for more variety of posture with the animals.
Nice work - hope to see more!
Cristy

eutherpendragon
12-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Hello, Euther!
I enjoy this painting - esp the bold foreground brushwork and the sense of haze you've created with the treeline in the distance. There seems to be something of a tension set up by the similar stance and direction of the pair of cows. I'm not sure you want to go changing things at this point, (don't want to OD on analgesics), but if you were in the mood to mess with it, or make another, you might go for more variety of posture with the animals.
Nice work - hope to see more!
Cristy

Hi Cristy,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I agree, the way in which both of the cows are standing makes for a static painting in some regards. This is something I will keep in mind for my next painting. Composition is usually the most challenging part for me.

I always like to get constructive criticism - it helps me so much more than someone just saying "nice job".

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work. :)

- Ann

D J Lanzendorfer
12-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Hello Euther,

What's not to like? This is a good painting, don't give up it gets better.

Happy Painting, D J Lanzendorfer

eutherpendragon
12-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Thank you, D J :)

- Ann

optic
12-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Very pieceful, I liked it. Thank you for posting...

eutherpendragon
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Thank you, Optic.

You know...I know this is no excuse but, I can't get my digital camera to take a decent picture. The fact of the matter is that, in reality, this painting is better than the posted image, which I took with my digital camera, which blew out the image and made it look less than ideal.

Someday, if the guy at Ritz Camera does not lose his patience with me and teaches me how to use this darn digital piece of equipment, I'll be able to post better copies of my originals.

Oh well. Digital cameras are overrated anyway. :rolleyes:

Bill Wray
01-09-2006, 01:37 AM
I like it, maybe a bit more variety in the greens. some violets/ reds.

eutherpendragon
01-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Bill. I've seen your work, and respect your level of artistry, so I'm glad you took the time to look at my work.

I think you are right, and that some complementary colors in the grass might have helped to break up all the green.

Something for me to keep in mind next time. :)

- Ann