PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - Nov. 21 - 27

Paula Ford
11-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Good Morning Pastelists!!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread (a bit slow last week!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307013

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!
Paula

E-J
11-21-2005, 05:57 AM
This is a "cheat" piece! I had a head start ... I'd just made a preparatory sketch for a possible commission, and photographed and printed off some copies of the sketch to fiddle with. An hour of playing around with my pastel pencils led to this. He looks a bit grumpy and doesn't resemble the dog I may end up painting (as far as I can tell ... my ref photos are poor, but that's another story) but I thought I'd post him here to get the week off to a start.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/13865-sketch2.jpg

E-J
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Forgot to say ... the original sketch was a line drawing in b&w, so this was an exercise in modelling using a bit of colour.

Paula Ford
11-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi E-J,

Your pup is very sweet looking! I really like him. His eyes look very curious...very nice!

Paula

fortysomething
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
E-J, that is a darling dog. Nice job on the fur, and I especially like his nose. I decided to try a "grayed" sketch for the gray challenge. My lighthouse seems to be leaning a bit... but it was pretty windy that day.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/64375-wc_CapeMayLighthouse.jpg

Cape May Lighthouse
9x12 Art Spectrum

Paula Ford
11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Lisa,

Now that IS a beautiful painting! Really wonderful, moody, blustery...really great!!

Paula

E-J
11-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Lisa, I really like the suggestion of browns among the misty blues. Muted colours can be so pretty!

fortysomething
11-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Thank you Paula and E-J. :) The picture was taken earlier this year on my one, and only ferry trip to Ocean City NJ. I was hoping to get some colorful pictures that day, but it was so overcast that they all have a gray, washed out appearance. I had no real hope of using them until I saw the gray challenge thread here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307322

I have a couple of very gray looking beach scenes I may try and paint now because of this challenge. Thank you jsimmonds and tchris!

Paula Ford
11-22-2005, 09:43 AM
It was a great idea Jackie came up with. The Gray challenge is a very interesting and inspiring subject.

Paula

scall0way
11-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi,
I'm down in NC, not much PC time this week. I'm at my dad's who only has slow dial-up over a single phone line! How primitive. :)

Love the pix so far. I think the pup is sweet, and I like the gray pic also, and would love to do something for the gray challenge. Lots of cloudy gray down here, LOL.

But I did this quickie today, about an hour - from a ref photo I took at lunch today of a cute little restaurant called The Tea Clipper, which served about 100+ types of loose-leaf teas. Not sure where I'll go with this if anywhere. :) But I also posted it on Soft Pastels Studio for some C&C, which would be fine here too.

Paula Ford
11-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Wonderful Debbie!! Love the shine in the tea pot and the bags look great!!
Beautiful color combination

Paula

fortysomething
11-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Wow! That teapot is exquisite!!! Debbie, I see improvement in each painting you do, and look forward to seeing more of your work.

The grayed picture was interesting to do. Limiting the palette eliminated loads of time spent looking for the "right" color. I think I used 8, maybe 10 different colors on this week's sketch. I think I should work with a limited palette more often. :)

E-J
11-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Debbie, wow - that teapot is glorious for just an hour's work, especially with everything else on that shelf besides. How big is this? The Tea Clipper sounds like a wonderful place to while away an hour or two.

I'm impressed that your parents have internet access at all! Mine certainly don't. :)

scall0way
11-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks all. The teapot pic is 11x14 on smooth-side Canson, done with NuPastels. This next pic is not so great, but a real quickie from the beach the other day at Fort Macon, NC. I spent only about 30 minutes on it, which shows! LOL, but I thought it might work for the gray challenge at least. I never have been able to capture ocean water though, so that it *looks* like the ocean. What a struggle.

This is also 11x14 smooth-sided Canson with NuPastels.

Paula Ford
11-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Debbie, This is lovely and soft. Love the way the birds are hovering over the water. I have tried NuPastels on Canson and couldn't make them look as good as this!
Paula

JamieWG
11-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Such nice work posted here!

EJ, that pooch is amazing for an hour's worth of work, even if you had a line drawing to begin with.

Love the nearly-monochrome grey day lighthouse painting. Those conditions provide us with such a good opportunity to work on values!

The tea/teapot painting is a real charmer...a true 'happy painting'. Can never have enough of those!

You're all so inspiring....I'm gonna have to break out those pastels this week...

Jamie

jerseybarb
11-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey guys! whats cookin'? I havent been over here for a couple of weeks, think I will get the pastel pencils out again and start my lunchtime sketching again. Scalloway, I like your still life, it almost looks like the teapot is going to start tooting out a song. lol