PDA

View Full Version : Holiday wishlists?

scall0way
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Well it's happened. My one sister is now asking me what I would like for Xmas, so in an effort to avoid some clothes I'm not crazy about from JC Penney (where she works) I decided the best thing to do was create wishlists online. However the problem is that some of the things I would like to try only seem to be available at sites that don't offer wish lists. I'd like to try a few open stock Mount Vision pastels for example. They have Mt. Visions at dakotapastels, and Jerrys, but neither of those offer wishlists. DickBlick has a wishlist option, and I *have* added some things I would like to that, and would be more than content if that was what I got - but it is not inclusive either, and offers *none* of the DVDs I'm interested in. CheapJoes has a wishlist, but I don't see a single thing there I want. I've long had a wishlist at amazon, and still do, but it is light on the art things I want so use that mostly to feed my book habit.

So I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good online art web site that offers:
- plenty of pastel supplies
- plenty of DVD choices
- a wishlist

Maybe just wishing for a site like the above just needs to go on my personal wishlist. :) But I know I don't know all the options so figured I might as well ask since the holiday is approaching.

Trilby
11-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Can't help with such a site,however you might try what my Step Mom and I have done for a while now. We exchange wish lists with each other with the caveat that not everything is expected but is just an all encompasing list of suggestions to choose from. That way there is still a surprise element. We include all price ranges and in the case of speciality items I usually include a web site or catalog number. This year I will be suggesting black clayboards, a couple of art books, a sheet or pad of Wallis paper, a gift cert for Dick Blick, and so forth. Her funds are limited so I put in a lot of low cost items. I usually have a few Jeep items on the list as well plus a couple of personal type things.
TJ

khourianya
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Ahhh a wish list. No one has asked me for any suggestions this year. We got alot of gifts this year that are birthday/christmas combined.

But if I was asked for one tomorrow, I would ask for:

* both Greg Biolchini dvds (especially the plein air one)
* the GA Cityscapes set
* Terry Ludwig plein air and darks sets
* dry pigments and gum tragacanth (I want to make my own someday)
* Wallis museum pads

But since I know none of them are heading my way I will just keep saving and dreaming. :D Fortunately this year I really built up my pastel pallette and am not really in need of colours (rather - I can work extensively with what I have before I need to spend a whole bunch of money on more). I wouldn't turn my nose up at a stocking full of unisons tho. :evil:

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Debbie- I agree with TJ- you can just make a list of sites and things from there- just as possibilities. Or if you want Jerry's things you could I guess pass along your logon and password- they have a saved list I know.... BTW don't know which sister of yours, but the one with the artist web site- loved her work (and yours too)!! My Mother in law asked (I have a Dec. birthday as well) and I just said 'art stuff' - I like about everything that is in that catagory LOL-kneeded erasers make me happy...

CindyW
11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Debbie,
I've got the same reply as a few people above....for the last 3 years I've listed gift suggestions in an email with links and it's worked out great for family members on both sides. This works really well for gift suggestions for my daughter, too, and the other kids in the family have lists their parents send out, as well.
I also have had an amazon list for a long time (whew, lots o pages to that list!) and so between the email and amazon list the family has lots of ideas.
It sure helps out and like TJ says, if there's enough ideas on the lists, the gift you give and receive can still be a surprise!
Cindy

Khadres
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree....just list your wants plus a link to them.

There are lots of things I'd "like" to have, but not really anything I "need". So, just for luxury...I would like the plein air set of Great Americans...the 72 color set. I'd also love to have another box such as the large travel box on Dakota...doesn't have to be the Heilman since I'd be using it mostly in the studio anyway...I just need something bigger than the trays I'm using now. Wouldn't mind another however many sheets of Belgian Mist Wallis if it's available yet. And there are always inexpesive odds and ends...from a handfull of colored pencils to a couple Robt. Simmons filbert bristle brushes for when I dig out my oils to play with again. Like purples, almost anything arty is fine with me! Oh, and books...I seldom meet a new book I don't like!

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I sure wish I was rich instead of just unemployeed and deeply in debt. I would have a wonderful time sending each and every one of you Christmas presents- wouldn't that be fun? To be able to shop for your wet canvas buddies who help you out so much? I would have a blast doing that. It is so much harder to shop for most of my relatives. Well, if I was rich, I would not be that way for long, I am sure. I can't pass up a street person or a good cause.

khourianya
11-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I always thought it would be neat to do a name draw and send a gift to the person whose name you recieve. I don't think there is enough time this year but maybe next year....

Bill Foehringer
11-17-2005, 03:01 PM
In the things category I'd like a gift card so that I could buy the pastels I'll need for the next year. Framing supplies, including frames for the work I'll do in the next year.
In the intangible area I'd wish for more time to paint and devote to art.
Right up there would be to gain representation in a gallery.
To regularly sell my paintings thru any venue.
Yes, I must be mercenary. Of course competence must come first, BillF

scall0way
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, to be honest, this is a hard time of year for me. I'd be perfectly happy if I got *no* presents at all as long as I got to see family and enjoy myself. I don't especialy care about presents that much - but my sister here in NJ (not the artist, but the other one) is just the opposite, and unless she gets *large* and *lavish* presents she goes into a tailspin of how awful we all are, and obviously care nothing for her and her family. And when I try to say "presents are not the reason for the holiday for me" she always says that for *her* getting tangible presents shows that folks care, and if the gift is not timely (for example mailed, and does not arrive until Dec. 26), or not large, it just shows to her that no one cares about her. She is reciprocal too, I must say, every year she *showers* me with 3-4 times more stuff than I can possibly want or use, and get her husband in an utter rage at how deep into debt she puts them to buy gifts - but no matter how hard I *beg* her not to do it she does. One year I told her to please buy me ****ONE*** book for Xmas. I gave her a list of 4-5 books I would like, and said "please just get me *one* of those". Well she got me all 5 plus about 5-10 other things as well (small stuff, but it all added up).

So I'm trying to simplify, simplify, simplify. I KNOW that sending links will not work, as then that means everyone would have to coordinate with everyone else about "what did you get? What did you get?" That's why I wanted one central list - that everyone could refer to, like the online Wedding and Baby Shower lists - where people can look and see what items have been purchased, and what are still available, and no one would have to consult everyone else.

So I guess for now I'll just stick with the amazon list and the DickBlick list. They don't include all the things I want (NONE of the DVDs in fact) but if I got some things from those lists I would be happy. It seems they are about as good as I can get. I'm surprised the art sites have so few of the good DVDs, and amazon does not have them at all.

khourianya
11-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Oh it must have been so hard growing up with your sisters! I can't believe she EXPECTS you to buy lavish gifts. I'm like you - I could care less. Gifts are nice, but I'd rather spend time with the people who are important to me.

You rplan of the Amazon and Dick Blick wishlists is a good one. I have had an amazon wishlist for years - no one checks it ever...lol. You're lucky if they do.

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, I made a will for an elderly friend to divide things up between his 4 kids- quite grown kids- one pitched a complete fit so he has to redo everything- really sad and does not help his heart condition any. However, I grew up with a sister like yours......