PDA

View Full Version : Need some pastel board

RUNEMASTER
11-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Been out for a while, but just started to consider getting some pastel board for soft pastels prefereably 19 inch by whatever.

Can anyone recommend some good rigid board with a great surface?

khourianya
11-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Have you tried pastelbord by Ampersand? ( http://www.ampersandart.com/ ) It is masonite with a toothy coating on it. Comes in sizes from 5 X 7 to 18 X 24 or something. It's nice to work on - very rigid.

Dakota Pastels sells it as well as a few other papers mounted to board (if I'm not mistaken).

RUNEMASTER
11-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Well thank you very much.I will look at this.I seem to need a rigid surface.I find the flimsy stuff frustrating to work with.

Actually, I was just at the standard sizes page.Boy they have so many different kinds its puzzling choosing one kind.I think ill email them or call.

I see clayboard, hardboard, gessoboard, and pastel board. Dont know which to go with.

Thanks again.

khourianya
11-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Go with the pastelbord - it's really toothy. I don't know about the others...

RUNEMASTER
11-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks. Nice gallery there.

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I have never used pastelboard, but really like your pics in your sig line- esp. the girl in yellow- very cool...

RUNEMASTER
11-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks covered her up shes naked. Believe it or not I simply suddenly had a stint of pastel creativity, and have done nothing since.Thats really the only art I ever did. Now im trying to eek out some motivation.

I can only make pastels based on images that illicit some enthusiasm from me. Sadly I cannot find any.

CindyW
11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Runemaster, I am sad that you're finding the world lacking in personally inspirational events, objects, people, etc that give you the oomph to paint! Your portraits are so wonderful, love em! I bet you could find something you're passionate about to express once again with pastels...or maybe with pencil or oils or acrylics, or metal or any kind of materials! And maybe there's something that you are passionate about politcally, just as an idea, to put to paper or surfaces.
I have an infinite amount of ideas floating my head through the years and sadly cannot find the time to devote to pouring them into paintings. I'm at work so much of the time I'm posting here and would love to switch that time to art expression.
I hope to see more of your work in the near future!
Take care,
Cindy

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I really need pictures too- and have those same spurts, then lack of interest. When I try to do something purely from imagination, it always goes straight into the trash... but portraits are the hardest things to do, and yours are really quite good. I thought about you- the last pastel journal had some unusual portraits- the guy did the 'beauty in suffering' or something like that- but a lot of eldery or sick people- was very different. And had a very loose style too.

RUNEMASTER
11-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm food for thought. Great ideas.

RUNEMASTER
11-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Actually i just posted a work titled:
30 min. painting in the pastel studio.Hope you like it.i want to see if anyone can tell who it resembles. Was just a study, but then again all my paintings are studies.