PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic Sheep

AriadneArts
01-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Here's my first micromosaic, done about a year ago.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/MosaicSheep2.jpg

Italian vitreous glass on plywood. Size: 8" square

sassybird
01-28-2002, 11:35 AM
This is a very good first mosaic. The only problem I see with it is that the sheeps head gets a bit lost with it being black. I would really like to see more of your work. Could you also give a detail of your process for those of us that would like to a micromosaic? Maybe tell about the different tiles you use and where you purchase them.

joemajury
01-28-2002, 01:06 PM
I like this one also, but while I agree with Sassy about the face, I am only TO aware of how difficult it is to get small detail into mosaic work, sometimes it HAS to be more abstract.
I like the flow of the tiles in the background hills - very nice

Joe

AriadneArts
01-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Sassybird. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

The sheep's face does look too black, but that's really the scanner. It doesn't read that way on the actual piece. However, if it was too black for my taste, I could mix up a lighter grout. Medium gray is a good all around color for most effects. Anything lighter would "break up" the face giving an effect like on the sheeps's body--the white tiles against the black grout. There, however, I wanted that effect to simulate clumps of wool with shadows beneath.

Basically, you choose your surface, get it ready, nip your tiles to shape (ahhhh, there's the rub--takes A LOT of practice to whip those little buggers into shape!), glue them on (usually I've drawn my design on paper first, colored it in, etc., then I do a freehand outline of my basic design on the surface to be tiled), grout it, clean the surface and wait for it to dry.

Micromosaic is working with pretty small pieces. I start with 3/4" square tiles, and those are all cut to shape, so smaller. Tiles are also made in 1/4" square (the border on the crane mosaic that I did). Porcelain tiles tend to come 1" square. (The border on the sheep mosaic is made from glazed porcelain tiles, halved.)

Tiles: There are several good online places to get tiles, but for an absolute beginner, I'd suggest going to your local art store, especially one near a college which is probably frequented by students getting supplies for classes. Both my local art stores carry small packets of vitreous glass by Mosaic Mercantile, tile nippers, and small containers of glue and grout. There are many books on doing mosaics which can be found in stores like Borders, etc. This way, you can get your feet wet without investing too much--see how you like it. It's physically demanding, so not at all "tranquilizing" like drawing or painting. I call it my "blue collar" art. LOL

Once you get into it, and want to purchase in larger, more economical amounts, online is the place to go.
[url]www.MosaicMercantile.com - They ship quickly and in both small packets and by the pound. They even have pre-mixed grout in white and black. There's also Mountaintop Mosaics, Carter Glass Mosaic and more. (Sorry, I can't find the URL's for these at the moment, but a search will bring these up along with many more.
Mountaintop carries 2 or 3 different grades of vitreous glass and even has an economical student package.

As for books, two of my favorite mosaic artist/authors are Emma Biggs and Martin Cheek. That should help get anyone started and I'm happy to answer any questions that I can. I'm hardly an expert though. I'm teaching myself and got a looooong way to go.......:) Hope this helps.

Leaflin
01-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the information Eileen.
Your Mosaic sheep is wonderful.
I lightened it up on my computer and could see more of the detail in the face.
I also like the flow of the tiles as Joe has pointed out.

AriadneArts
01-30-2002, 11:52 AM
Joe: Thanks for your kind comments. And you're so right about accepting that sometimes it just has to be more "abstract."

Leaflin: Thanks for your generous remarks. Like I say, I'm just a beginner but I'm glad to help any way I can. Wouldn't it be nice if a few more artists started working in mosaic? We might even get a mosaic project going eventually.......:D

cry_1
01-30-2002, 12:26 PM
Very cool.
Can't even begin to think of how one could pull off something this micro. Tres sweet!