PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Williamsburg?

rebob
01-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Got a mail order catalog from one of the North Carolina firms yesterday and saw their 2 page spread on "Williamsburg Art Materials" Oil Paint.

Has anyone any experience with these they could share?

Thanks,

Bob

Pen
01-25-2002, 10:59 PM
I've never used that brand, but they trash it over on the Cennini forum.

rebob
01-26-2002, 12:09 AM
I've never used that brand...but they trash it over at the Cennini forum

Pen, can you refer me to some specific comments there? I'd like to read them but that forum isn't as organized as this one is and unless you know the specific topic it gets pretty hard to find something.

Thanks,

Bob

Pen
01-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by rebob
I've never used that brand...but they trash it over at the Cennini forum

Pen, can you refer me to some specific comments there? I'd like to read them but that forum isn't as organized as this one is and unless you know the specific topic it gets pretty hard to find something.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, this forum is much easier to read. But you can go over there and click on their "search" button (upper right hand corner) and type in Williamsberg. You should get good results.

Wayne Gaudon
01-26-2002, 07:17 AM
http://www.williamsburgoilpaint.bizland.com/AboutUs/nytimes.htm

rebob
01-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Pen,

Well, that sure worked for me (when will I ever learn to look at the whole page?).

Not too much good to say, was there?

Thanks,

Bob

tjrudd
01-26-2002, 05:03 PM
"I've never used that brand...but they trash it over at the Cennini forum"

I've tried many of the Williamsburg oil colors, but I just use one currently: Alizarin Crimson. Williamsburg's is a little grainier than most and very nice to work with. Their other colors are a little too oily for my taste and they seem to vary in consistency quite a bit from tube to tube. That aside, they are priced pretty reasonably compared to some other brands.

You might try some of the Williamsburg ochres or mars colors to see if like the handling without spending a lot of $$$. The Italian Art Store (www.italianartstore.com) carries the Williamsburg line as well as many others manufacturers. I believe they still carry the hand-painted color charts, too.

I've pretty much settled on using Old Holland, Blockx or Vasari (www.shopvasaricolors.com) since their pigmentation seems a little stronger and I like their consistency a little better (except for Blockx Viridian, which is just too oily). The Michael Harding line is supposed to be quite nice, but I haven't tried them yet. I ordered a color chart the other day from IAS. Something else to try, I guess.

Good luck.....TJ

cobalt fingers
09-28-2002, 12:21 PM
They trash everything but the guy that runs the place in Cennini forum--use tons of grains of salt when reading over there. What was said yesterday may be revised and retracted the next day.

nam26b
09-29-2002, 01:00 AM
I think of Rob as "What would happen if Rush Limbaugh started marketing his own line of art supplies"

Nathan

TedB
09-29-2002, 02:47 AM
i have used and continue to use williamsburg paint along with other handmade paints. there have been some changes in the company. the paint quality is much better than a few years ago. the paint quality certainly surpasses all of the paint you find in art store chains (micheals, for example). though some folks have not liked the paint on the cennini forum, there have been some reflections and corrections to those beliefs, if you care to check through the many posts NOT labeled 'williamsburg' . . . .personally, i like using the silver white from williamburg over any other white. it has a warm quality to it. i especially like the ochres, cinnebars, alizaron, vermillion and red oxide.

at one time, i placed an order, preferring to pay with a check. they allow for that option. i believe that was on a friday. i mailed a check to them on saturday. on monday i had the parcel with the paint. no way the check had reached them before shipment. i appreciate that TRUST !

ted

musket
09-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Willamsburg started out small, with a retail outlet in the usual area of NYC-- down where Kremer and a number of other specialized artist paint places live. I assume they actually made their paint somewhere in the wilds of Williamsburg, Brooklyn (also home to Robert Doak and Sarkana).

Their reputation at that point was very good, but I never tried any of their paints-- I was usiing acrylics at the time, not oils. Eventually they got bigger and more successful, started distributing to stores other than their own, and showing up in numerous middleman catalogs.

About three-four years ago I got some Williamsburg colors to try, in Keene NH of all places (the state college art supply store there sells them). Well, they struck me as not so hot at all, and vastly overpriced for what they were. I imagine this was the Williamsburg paint Rob Howard was dissing at Cenini.

Since then, according to recent discussions at Cenini, the paints have undergone a major quality overhaul and Rob Howard has changed his mind, at least about those colors he's tried recently at the behest of other Cenini Forum members.

I haven't purchased any of the "new" Williamsburg paints, being quite happy with Doak and OH, but if Rob's disparaging comments were about the older stuff, he was right far as I'm concerned. The paint I tried was not much better than student grade stuff from the big boys, and sure as hell was not Old Holland.

BTW there is another small brand I've been meaning to try, Sarkana, which is also located in Williamsburg. They buy much of their dry pigment from Doak (an excellent idea, Doak's dry pigments are among the most beautiful I've ever seen), but unlike him they grind most of their colors in linseed oil-- Doak is a walnut oil man through and through. They are only a buck or two more expensive than Doak, which is to say, very reasonable.

cobalt fingers
09-29-2002, 11:17 AM
That's very funny!:clap: :evil:

tjrudd
09-30-2002, 01:37 PM
I liked the Rush Limbaugh analogy above -- well said.

CF, I've now tried several of the Michael Harding oil colors and they seem to be just as highly pigmented as the Old Holland, but slightly less sticky. At ~3/4 the price of Old Holland they're a pretty good value. Right now I'm using their Cad. Lemon, Cad. Yellow Deep, Cad. Red, Cobalt Blue, Ultra. Blue, Trans. Oxide Red, Venetian Red, Viridian, Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson, Genuine Naples Yellow Light and Cremnitz white. They don't make a Cad. Yellow Light, so I'm sticking with OH. The Italian Art Store carries this line, too. My two cents.

Linda Ciallelo
09-30-2002, 06:58 PM
They "used to" trash Williamsburg over at the Studio products Forum, but "NOW" Williamsburg is under new management and Rob says their paint is fantastic. I tried it myself and I am very pleased with it. They have a great website and color chart. Their Flake white is the best anywhere. They have some interesting old fashioned earth colors that I am using. It's a good site, and the paint is top notch. Go over to Studio Products and ask Rob yourself.:)

Leopoldo1
09-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Linda Ciallelo
Go over to Studio Products and ask Rob yourself.:)

Oh, Artemesia, please!

G.L. Hoff
10-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Linda Ciallelo
They "used to" trash Williamsburg over at the Studio products Forum, but "NOW" Williamsburg is under new management and Rob says their paint is fantastic. I tried it myself and I am very pleased with it. They have a great website and color chart. Their Flake white is the best anywhere. They have some interesting old fashioned earth colors that I am using.

I noticed the same thing over there--Rob Howard did change his public assessment of Williamsburg within the past few months. Like you, I use and like some of the Williamsburg earths. They're brighter than some others--maybe because they're ground less fine--and they dry a bit quicker than comparable Doak paint. Haven't used their flake white, so I can't comment.