PDA

View Full Version : Plasteline Horse (In Progress Up Date)

MKathleen
01-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Here is where I'm at now comments, suggestions, thoughts welcome. Thank you for looking
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/3HorseUpDate1-25-02.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/2HorseUpDate1-25-02.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/4HorseUpDate1-25-02.jpg
Foot notes:
I'm just starting to work on the legs so as you can see their not correct yet lol...Lots of work to complete this one!
Poor Max, lost sleep last night to stay up and give me armature instruction. Thanks Max, mucho appreciated as always...

Best,
Kathy :D

Jeffi
01-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Kathy,

It's moving right along! I think it will be a very nice piece when it's done! Do you have a reference book for horses so you can can the particulars of the anatomy correct? I think pieces like these must be very hard, because you have to get the proportions and anatomy right for each individual piece, then the proportions right for the two pieces (horse and rider) together. Keep posting those progress pics! To quote a famous tiger - They're Great!

Phyllis Rennie
01-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Looking good so far. Like the action in the tail.

MKathleen
01-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Jeffi

Thank you for the gurrrgreat compliment on my progress so far!
I'm using the original photograph, and three books I use a lot. In case you might like to purchase any one or all here is the information.
(1.) Horses And Other Animals In Motion by Eadweard Muybridge it has 45 classic photographic sequences. Very helpful let's you see what a certain animal can do and not do.
(2.) How To Draw Animals by Jack Hamm, excellent and very affordable.
(3.) An Atlas Of Animal Anatomy For Artists by W. Ellenberger, H. Dittrich and H. Baum it has 288 illustrations. It is the one that I'm really relying on the most right now.
After looking at my images in this post boy it really hit me I need to raise the point of hock up it's too low. There is a lot to think about. It's not unlike painting in the respect that you need to work the composition as a whole.
Thanks again Jeffi I value your input:)
I'll post as I progress along, need to build an armature it's getting to heavy. It's taken 1 2lb. of plasteline touche so far.

Phyl

Thank you toooooo, yeah I like the action in the tail also I think it needs to be longer. Right now the horse looks to colt like to me I really love working on this horse. After I get the horse sculpted I'll start with the tack and rider (Dad).
Then rework them as a whole. Thanks for your comments and as always I value your thoughts too.

Best,
Kathy:D

diane555
01-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Kathy:

I see you're not wasting any time on this guy! It's coming along very very nicely. This will be a fine piece when you are finished. Don't worry, we know it's in progress. That's the fun of posting progress pics...seeing how we each go about our sculpting. I find when I am doing horses that I am always tempted to do the tail too long too soon and then it just gets in the way when you start finishing the flank area so it's good that you haven't done that yet. You've probably got enough clay on him now that you should be able to remove it from the clay base...should be free-standing now. Might give you a little more freedom. The armature should give you the extra strength you need. I see you are also being a good girl and working the piece all-over as a whole instead of pulling a "Di" and getting too involved in one area! hehehe Can't wait to see the next pics.
I'm with the tiger....looking grrrrrreat!

Di