PDA

View Full Version : Woman and Chair

diane555
01-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi guys

Have to keep this forum going...we have 5 pages now!!! Anyway I must be trying to make up for all that lost time in December. Started this one yesterday too and thought I'd post a couple pics of her in progress. Still have to fix her up but I got carried away with the head today instead of doing much on her body. As usual, comments and suggestions always welcome. She is about 9" high. Hey, can I fire something this small...the wall thickness is not terribly thick. Is there a rule about wall thicknesses...what works best etc???

Thanks
Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/chaira.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/chairb.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/chairc.jpg

MKathleen
01-25-2002, 04:48 PM
Di, terrific start there she looks like shes in deep thought (nice lines too very graceful). Will look forward to seeing your progress.
Wish I could answer you firing question, but I don't even have a kiln.:( Maybe someday:) To bad you didn't catch Max before he left on his business trip. I think he wore himself out before he left helping me. Maybe someone else can give you the answer:angel: before Max returns.
Five pages alright!:clap:

Best,
Kathy:D

Jeffi
01-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Diane,

That's a really nice piece you've got there. You said you started it yesterday - how many hours have you put into it? That's a lot of progress in such a short time. Are you working from a model, or a photo, or just doing it off the top of your head?If I remember correctly, my sculpture teacher said as long as it was below an inch thick it should be okay to fire - just give it lots of time to dry. Just to be on the safe side I might only go as thick as half an inch. Then again, I'm still pretty new at this. Anyway, I really like your piece!
P.S. - what clay are you using for your piece?

diane555
01-26-2002, 08:44 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for the input

Jeffi: Thanks for the info. I think Max may have mentioned that before too, now that I hear it again. This one ranges from 1/4" (the chair) to maybe 3/4 or 1" (the head). Anyway, she looks a little odd at this state because I started her a bit smaller and then she started growing on me so I still have to make her legs and the chair a little larger. I have about 3 or 4 hours into it so far. As for the clay, it's just regular Hugo Grey the sell at Utrecth art store. Getting some red clay today. Oh, I found a ceramic studio nearby that gives classes in handbuilding and throwing and offers a firing service!! YIPEEE! I am signing up for the handbuilding class so I can start the first week of Feb. Thanks for the comments.

Di

diane555
01-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Hi all

Thought I'd better post an update before Max or Randy sees the condition her proportions were in :D Anyways, I got a little time downstairs today and this is where I'm at so far. Picked up some red stoneware clay to try today. It has a beautiful consistancy & plasticity so we'll see how it works. Talked to the woman at the studio and she saw a few pics and said it's definitely best to stay under an inch with thickness. She said sometimes you can get away with an inch and sometimes not. This chair is hollow and the woman's thighs & torso so I should be okay. Comments and critiques always welcome. Hate doing these tiny feet in clay tho...was much easier in wax.

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2002/chaird.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2002/chaire.jpg

max nelson
01-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey Di..can't leave you guys for a second and you do another work. Man, I must be really lazy. This is cool and is definately a candidate to fire. If it were me, I would just go into the back of the chair straight through to the body and do just a little hollowing out. Then fill 'er up on the back of the chair. You can disguise a lot of hollows on this. It's another very interesting pose by the Di.:)
Max

diane555
01-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Hi Max

Welcome back! and thank you for the positive comments. I cheated on this one so I don't have anything else to hollow out YIPPEE Actually I got that book Frank mentioned some time ago By Bruno and borrowed his trick for using a piece of foam wrapped in newsprint and removed it later and her torso & thighs are hollow. The lady that I found that is going to fire for me said I might want to hollow out the heads a bit tho. What do u think? I must remember to poke a hole here and there tho eh? LOL I just need to get some more texture in this chair. Thanks again.

Di

mebucko
02-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi Di! Long time, no see!:p Sorry I haven't been around to mess with y'all's days, but I'm still on that ol' kitchen! Oh well... I like this, I bet you did it from your head too, huh? Very groovy! After I see how you go after this, I might attempt to try it, I know I always say that, but so far, I have seen one all the way through. Your Rain man, and Kathy's bears I was waiting to see how they were going to be done, then y'all have temporarily put them on hold 'til later. So, I hope to see this one done fully, I'm too lazy to start one on my own, I guess! :evil: I do see that it appears to me that her ear is too large, maybe? I can't tell really, but I think it might be. Something about HER right arm too, it (to me) doesn't look relaxed enough, or something, I'm so out of practice looking, I don't remember how to say this stuff!:D I really love how you've shown her weight on the chair, really nice! I might just do that, seriously... I hope to see y'all's progresses on things around here more, I sure ain't tryin' to be rude, and things look like a real forum too, actually people!:p Good luck on this, and you're doing good!
Randy

diane555
02-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Hi Randy! Wow! You haven't dug urself out of that kitchen yet?? :D Glad to see you stopped by to pay us all a visit! You didn't see the rainman finished yet because I am beginning him again in a different clay (red). This one will be finished because she is fire-safe and ready to burn!! :D (I hope). This is a low fire clay that will be white when finished. New pics below of my progress on this piece.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a closer look at her. Still have to fix her feet AAAUGH! Hate those tiny tiny feet! Kinda wanted to go for a very textured look to this chair to contrast with her body. Anyway, comments and suggestions welcome. Oh, yep, this is out of the the dark recesses of my mind too. LOL

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/chairff.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/chairhh.jpg

MKathleen
02-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Di:

Now I know how Max feels when did ya sneek the new images in?:confused: I thought I watched my favorite forum pretty close:evil: lol This lady is looking real good!:clap: I'm going to steal Randy's line "I like the way you showed her weight in the chair too":clap:
You sure have a creative mine:D
Did you start your clay building class yet? must be soon..:clap:
This is a terrific piece I love it.

Best,
Kathy:D

Yielding
02-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi Di

So rainman is being completed again. I hate to do things twice:rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing the new rainman:)

In this piece I like the pattern on the coach, it really brings out the definition of your lady.

Yielding