PDA

View Full Version : Working in HSV colorspaces ... need some guru input!

scottb
01-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Okay, time for the color gurus to come out of the closet and pitch in with a new WC! tool I'm putting together. :)

One of the things that I've always wanted to put on this site was a tool that allowed people to "virtually" mix paint. That way, new folks could practice without getting messy, and wasting tons of paint, etc. There will never be anything like working with the "real deal", of course, but this is a little tool that I've always felt would help new folks learn about the color wheel, etc.

After 3 years of procrastination (lol), I've decided to work on it a bit. Okay, for the gurus:

You likely already know this, but colors represented in television and computer monitors is done via an RGB color model, which is radically different than the way artists work in color. Actually, it is different than the way the *eye* perceives color in nature. Light vs. energy, etc.

At any rate. I've written a nifty set of tools to convert colors to and from the different models (HSV to RGB - HSV being Hue, Saturation, and Value, RGB being Red/Green/Blue).

My function for creating "shades" (darker values) seems to work fine. However, my functions for creating "tints" (lighter values) works for some colors, and not for others - grrrr.

These images are dithered a bit - so they look horrible - but they should give you an idea. Take a look - this is the leftmost side of the tint chart for Naple's Yellow - looks okay to me:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/mix_white.gif

Then, there are other colors - sigh:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2002/mix_not_white.gif

Basically, in the HSV color model, the "color" should gradate to white as the "S"aturation value is decreased. As you can see for certain colors, the gradation is to a dark gray, almost as if the complement were being mixed.

You can see the HSV values for each step beneath each swatch. The saturation value is represented as a floating point # between 0.0 and 1.0.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
Scott

scottb
01-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Go figure, as soon as I post the message, I figure it out - hehehe.

In case anyone is curious, the V has to be scaled proportionately with the S when going to light/dark. At least I think - will let you know if it doesn't work. :)

Cheers.
Scott

scottb
01-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Yep - that was it. :D

llis
01-25-2002, 05:36 PM
This makes me so happy. It's a great project for the Color Theory group. I see some real heavy debates coming on and what a learning lesson it will be.

Thanks Scott!

scottb
01-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Debates! Run for the hills!!! :D

Seriously, I am learning quite a bit more about "color" than I once knew. This will be interesting.

Thoughts and constructive feedback welcome ... I want to do this right.

Cheers.
Scott