PDA

View Full Version : Cori's pastel box

pacificpastel
11-14-2005, 02:14 AM
This looks exactly like the "Pastel Briefcase".....

HarvestMoon
11-14-2005, 09:39 AM
yes- and my hubby does not want to build anything but decks....

khourianya
11-14-2005, 11:10 AM
It is similar and I did acknowledge it was inspired by the pastel briefcase...but my dad and I did add a few adaptations to it and the Pastel Briefcase also has a few other additions that I did not put on mine. Mine is also much larger. I only compiled the article because there was so many requests for it.

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I ordered a pastelbriefcase months ago. I hope it comes, talked to the guy last week. They may be going out of business for all I know.

I think your only hope is to make this box yourself. Open M is considering a style too.

They are all similar.

I am waiting and hopeful.
Donna

fortysomething
11-15-2005, 09:08 AM
I had written to the Pastel Briefcase company about how to finish the box. I didn't hear back from them, and decided to post a question about it here while I waited for a response. I didn't mind finishing the box, but I had no idea how to go about it- dividers, etc.

The Cassat box I purchased for $50.00 was a piece of junk. The internal dividers were so warped they were under a set of Encyclopedia Britannica for almost a month before straightening out enough to get some pastels in the box without crushing them. The velcro didn't work very well, one of the buckles broke, and all in under three months.

Dakota and Heilman both make a suitcase-style box, similar to the Cassat box- the Dakota has velcro, and I won't try another velcro box. The Heilman is just cost prohibitive for us right now, and I'm not sure I even want another suitcase-style box anyway.

My husband didn't want me to buy another inexpensive box either, but I really liked the design of the Pastel Briefcase, and asked if anyone here was using it. I needed some back-up from another user if I was going to convince him this wasn't another inexpensive box that was going to fall apart.

It was on that thread that I learned about the designer's illness, and also that she has recently succumbed to it. Cori was kind enough to share information that I had originally asked for. I still like the Pastel Briefcase, and may order a smaller box from them in the future if they're still in business. I haven't received a response from them yet, but I still need a back-pack sized box for landscape workshops. Less is better when you have to carry it to that "perfect spot."

Cori, I'm sanding, staining, and foaming the box today. The turn buttons were supposed to ship yesterday, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it to be travel ready by Saturday.

This is the second-coolest pastel box I've ever seen. Having a husband that will make you a pastel box is pretty cool, but there's nothing on the face of the planet that's better than something built by our Dads. :)

HarvestMoon
11-15-2005, 10:05 AM
I can't see how it would be anything more than a labor of love to be in the pastel box construction business- unless you have them mass produced cheaply somewhere. But when you have to gather many materials, put a bunch of time into making a quality item (such as this or the Heilman box), putting in expensive quality things like memory foam, special latches, tripod holders, leather straps, etc. the time to find all these special things, do really great quality construction, etc. - well, lets just say if my $165. for 45 min. doctor made you one- it would be one expensive box LOL, and he probably would not have the cool signature the Heilman's use either- can't read HIS writing.... do doctors take a special class in how not to write?

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
The Heilman and the Cassatt are like a Rolls Royce and a red wagon. Huge difference. I can say that the Heilman is worth saving up for.

My box should come this week. I will let you know if it is worth what you have to go through to get one. :(

And believe me when I say you could make your own, and 10 for your friends waiting for them to respond to you at pastel briefcase! Even before their tragedy.

Cori's box has things that make it stand above this one. The size, the handle, the dividers, and the closures are a more advanced design.

I really wish there was a manufacturer of this style box!

Donna

Khadres
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out why so many have had such rotten luck with the Cassatt box. I have two and love 'em! The only thing I don't like about them is the velcro thing and that I'm fixing with turn closures such as Cori's used in her box. That should solve that little problem plus I plan to install some dividers on each side...mine came with none. Aside from that, I've found the Cassatts to be very sturdy and reliable. Even the velcro HAS worked; I just find it difficult to get loose sometimes with my old fingers. The boxes themselves would take a hit from a Humvee and probably survive as far as I can tell. As for falling apart...wow! Maybe they're not making them as well as they used to or something!

For the money difference, etc., I'll stick with my little red wagons awhile longer! :D

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 01:29 PM
I had one on order and was going to cancel but let it come anyway. The velcro came off one entire side when I opened it, lol. I planned to reinforce it so that is fine, have the metal dealies and everything. It is very small next the the large Heilman.

I have a couple of "tray" style boxes that I am using in the studio and like that option.

I can't wait to see more tray styles on the market. Preferrably one that is stackable but still individual. Hey Cori that would make yet another unique feature to your style. What do you think? Then we can have more than one palette, general, portrait, landscape, still life, whatever. The ones not in use would store nicely. Just a little groove around the bottom might do it.

A way to use the tripod would be a nice added feature too.

This is not to say that your design does not stand on it's own, just tossing out ideas. :cat:

Donna

khourianya
11-15-2005, 01:42 PM
lol - why don't I make it just like the stackable with a t-nut and open myself up to further cyber stalking by disgruntled emailers too :p

I may experiment with modifications. I would actually like to add a tray to it - a long narrow one that rests above it - so I can have my hard pastels lined up there too....I have a great imagination for modifying this one.

HarvestMoon
11-15-2005, 02:03 PM
I have never seen one like the one Biolchini uses in his new DVD- it opens out, has individual foam dividers that fit the large mount visions in, yet somehow stacks up- but it does not look like what I have seen of the stackable where there were wooden slots. Looked quite small. He also carries a small trash can, perhaps we can all argue about which one is best LOL. (I use a house supplement feed bucket) Cori- hope you don't think we are all arguing with you- was generous of you to take the time to write it all down and share - I have tried the Dakota large box and it is fine for in the studio, but love love love the Heilman- and they are very nice folks- I could not begin to get hubby to make me one, but there is nothing wrong with making them too.

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
:confused: I am not sure what stackable you are talking about Cori. Mine, from Wendy Harris, out of business (she told me herself) does not have any hardware at all.

What loser would stalk you? There are so MANY variations, who would get mad except some lonely bitter soul? I say hooey!

And like Linda said, I was just tossing out ideas and noticing the differences between yours and the pastel briefcase. Since that is what I think pacific pastel is curious about. Plus can't get a pastel briefcase really anyway.

Donna

khourianya
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
a box is a box is a box. All mine is is a mitred corner, wooden box with a masonite bottom and a lid. Nothing special except I love it.

Donna - I was being fasicous about mimicing the stackable. I wouldn't ever do that.

Linda - I don't think people are arguing with me. This whole thing has just been really wearying on me at a time when I am not feeling well.

As for copyright. I am aware of what it is. Probably have a better idea than most of the people around here since I have stuied it extensively in school. If I felt this one was way too close to another product for my own comfort - I would not have posted the article. Apparently I was mistaken and people like to send nasty emails about it without signing them.

HarvestMoon
11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Cori- that is a real shame- and very cowardly to boot- well, you spend a huge chunk of your free time trying to help folks- and you were ASKED to post the article about how to build your box. I should try to find a pic of my Norwegian Pastel box. It is actually a HEAVY lumber box that had rocks (from Norway) in it and cool compartments- and a lid. I have all my odd bits piled in, but will likely get in trouble from the Norwegian museum who sold it with rocks LOL- the fact that they were having a 'close out sale' on them since nobody wanted norwegian rocks is besides the point...

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I can't think of who would be upset by your box except the pastel briefcase lady's husband and/or his/her friends. It seems odd not to just be up front especially when it is so obvious. And even if it is caring friends he would have some amount of persuasion to encourage or discourage this unprofessional behavior.

Grow up!

If my box does not come this week I will not be calling again. I am tired of begging!

Donna

HarvestMoon
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I think it would be a mistake to assume we know who would be inundating Cori with hate mail- it could be someone else entirely- who makes their living making boxes- or packing turkeys- who knows- but I have dealt a lot with issues of irrational and wierd human behavior in people who were mad at me for God knows what reason- usually insecurity- and it is amazing how people can act. It is extremely upsetting though to be attacked, and Cori is one of the folks who makes Wetcanvas Pastel forum so much fun to visit- she has always been really helpful, and I have never heard her say a bad thing about anything- even my coyote ugly artwork!!

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 05:00 PM
You are right. I just can't imagine who would bother. I guess the owner would sign their name right?

Suspisious me :cat:

khourianya
11-15-2005, 05:11 PM
I would hope. I guess we just never know anymore. This wasn't a singular email. I got close to 30 from different people. Different addresses. It was like a mass cyber-stalking.

I'm not a bad person or a dumb person.

Thank you for the support guys. I just wish the whole situation would go away.

*Marina*
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Cori, I just want to say how much I appreciate your articles. And how sorry I feel for you that you get those nasty emails.You don't deserve it. Let's hope it will soon stop. Can't you block those adresses. Mark them as unwanted emails. It worked when we had a period that we got more than 60 spam mails per day.
Anyway I wish you all the best.

khourianya
11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Thank you Marina. I appreciate your comment.

I am a firm believer in free speech so I take the time to read and reply to any message I receive. If I lose my temper, I do try to apologise and if they continue to harrass me, I bounce their messages.

It's not a big deal - just wearying. We don't need to form a lynch mob k :) Please can we just let this thread drop out of existence?