PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - Nov. 14 - 20

Paula Ford
11-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Good Morning Pastelists!!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305625

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!
Paula

scall0way
11-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I'll start off again this week. This is a little 5x7, about 45 minutes last night. This poor little pic had so many strikes against it. I was working small as it is gift for a friend of my dad's who is in the hospital and all alone in the world (wife died of cancer a few years ago, no kids). He really has no one, and misses his home, and may be there a few more weeks in the hospital, poor guy.

Anyway, I decided to paint him a little picture of his home. I wanted a small frame that could sit on a hospital bedside table, and 8x10 frame seemed as big as I could go, so with a pre-cut mat that made 5x7 the largest image size. But darn, I find it impossibly hard working that small. Plus the pic is on canson paper, and I didn't even realize until I had done the sketch and started to lay down some pastel that I had used the rough side (which I hate). I was too lazy to re-do the sketch but probably should have as I was growling all along at the inability of the pastel to cover the paper. Grrrrr. It was impossible to get any sort of detail with pastel on that small scale either. I finally got out my colored pencils and used them to create a bit of detail.

Oh well, this is what I ended up with. I'm not too happy with it but don't feel like doing it again either at this point. Oh well, after all this effort, the man I did it for also has cataracts and probably won't even be able to see it! But he does plan to have surgery for that once he recovers from his current situation (foot surgery).

Paula Ford
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
You are so thoughtful Debbie. Your friend will love his little house (even with his cataracts). I know what you mean about the back side of Canson...it's awful!!

I don't have a sketch tonight. Was working on the Glowing Tree painting. I've decided to rename it to the "Autumn Blessing" because I felt blessed to have seen that beautiful tree. It kind of just lit up in front of me as though God said "here is a present for you to paint."

Paula

scall0way
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Paula, the Autumn Blessing picture is just wonderful. You have such a way with trees and landscape. I wish I could just sit and watch you paint!

Here is another quickie from the VPON 'fantasy paint' last night, about an hour, 8x10 dark blue Colourfix paper, mostly NuPastels, with a few of my Unison blues. I had to do this "out of my head" since there are not that many good refs for fantasy images! I decided to start with a horse since as a horse-mad little girl I used to draw horses daily by the hours, so figured that even out of my head I could create something at least recognizable as a horse, unlike some other creatures. :)

She came out a little heavy in the haunches, but with a fantasy creature no one can tell you you are wrong. She needs extremely powerful haunches so that she can leap high into the air to get started before her wings can gain purchase. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Paula Ford
11-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh how pretty Debbie. This has a wonderful dreamy, fantasy quality to it.

LOL...but with a fantasy creature no one can tell you you are wrong. She needs extremely powerful haunches so that she can leap high into the air to get started before her wings can gain purchase. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

That's great you can do this from your imagination. I admire you so much!

Paula